Pressing Daniel Connolly [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Pressing Daniel Connolly [merged thread]

PvP

Reaction Score
I enjoy Daniel Connolly's commentaries re UConn WBB and was one of the first subscribers to his weekly analysis. But after listening to the latest "Chasing Perfection" about the upcoming season and who would fall into one of four categories, I felt there was a much more specific approach that would allow he and Megan to truly be able to compare how these "way too early" forecasts meet with later one's during and after the season. Rather than some generalizations which left only Piath Gabriel in the last category as a blow-out fill-in and spreading everyone else out among the other three categories (with some seeming to fall into more than one category), I think a "strictly by the numbers" approach would give all of us a much clearer understanding of what he truly foresees. And by doing so, it would press him and Megan (and any other BYers who care to share their views) to really put themselves on the line.

Specifically, I challenge Dan, Megan and all of you, to look ahead and to spread 200 minutes of available playing time per game among all of the UConn roster. By so doing we will really glean an understanding of how much playing time each player will get in their view and we can readily check on them at any point during the season by looking at how many minutes each player has averaged to that point. It will also allow Dan and Megan to revise their guestimates at any time during the season as they had stated was their plan.

Of course I gave it a try and, frankly, it forces you to really think hard about Geno's priorities and who can and can't meet them. With an understandable fear of the comments to come, here are my forecasts:

PB 32
CW 23
AE 20
DJ 19
EW 15
NM 12
ONO 10
AG 10
CD 10
SP 8
MM 6
AD 4
PG 1

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think everyone should post their predictions on the daily temperatures, high and low, in Storrs for the upcoming nine months. That way we could see how good we are at guessing something we don't know. Then we can each predict what clothing choices the coaches will display for each game. And then we can move to predicting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Or maybe we can speculate on how many posters speculate on some other arcane, unknowable subject that really will not have any effect on the eventual outcome of the UConn season. Who plays where and when and how much will be determined by the coaches perceptions of practice behavior, team chemistry, injuries, personal issues, and just plain chance based upon opponent and timing. All of these things are harmless and could provide some entertainment for some, distraction for others, and wonderment at what makes people do what they do by the more quizzical among us. Go Huskies. BTW, I predict there will be 200 minutes played per game, except OT games of which there will be less than 10 and more than none. Gosh I hope I am right! ;)

Reaction Score
Another “minutes guess” thread. Could have been done in one sentence.

Reaction Score
Evina, Nika and ONO are all likely starters if they are healthy and will be getting at least 20 minutes a game, probably more like 25. Azzi will get at least 20 minutes but how much more depends on how quickly she adjusts to college ball, learns the UConn system and defensive skills.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt Azzi gets more minutes than Christyn or Dorka more than ONO.
I don’t know about that. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just not convinced one way or the other. Normally I have a healthy skepticism about what a freshman can contribute to the team in their first year, but Paige’s experience has led me to reevaluate that.

For what it’s worth, I believe that the influx of talent benefits Christyn dramatically. Having a lot of capable shooters opens up the floor and she excels at taking it to the hoop.

Reaction Score
I enjoy Daniel Connolly's commentaries re UConn WBB and was one of the first subscribers to his weekly analysis. But after listening to the latest "Chasing Perfection" about the upcoming season and who would fall into one of four categories, I felt there was a much more specific approach that would allow he and Megan to truly be able to compare how these "way too early" forecasts meet with later one's during and after the season. Rather than some generalizations which left only Piath Gabriel in the last category as a blow-out fill-in and spreading everyone else out among the other three categories (with some seeming to fall into more than one category), I think a "strictly by the numbers" approach would give all of us a much clearer understanding of what he truly foresees. And by doing so, it would press him and Megan (and any other BYers who care to share their views) to really put themselves on the line.

Specifically, I challenge Dan, Megan and all of you, to look ahead and to spread 200 minutes of available playing time per game among all of the UConn roster. By so doing we will really glean an understanding of how much playing time each player will get in their view and we can readily check on them at any point during the season by looking at how many minutes each player has averaged to that point. It will also allow Dan and Megan to revise their guestimates at any time during the season as they had stated was their plan.

Of course I gave it a try and, frankly, it forces you to really think hard about Geno's priorities and who can and can't meet them. With an understandable fear of the comments to come, here are my forecasts:

PB 32
CW 23
AE 20
DJ 19
EW 15
NM 12
ONO 10
AG 10
CD 10
SP 8
MM 6
AD 4
PG 1
what will the minutes be in big games? final 4 (assuming we get there)? I would guess as the season goes on, more minutes for , CD and DJ and less minutes for ONO and CW. But only a guess at this point and assuming the new comers are as good as I think they might be. I'm really curious/hopeful that AD can outplay ONO by seasons end as well.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Azzi doesn't get at least near 24 (60% of the game). Early on maybe less. One of the team's big offensive weaknesses was outside shooting- and she is regarded as super at that. The NCAA moved the 3pt line back which means some players will be affected - Azzi probably less-so.. She was regarded at one point better than Paige. If she is near that then she's arguably at least the 2nd best player on the team. She can play both pg and sg while Evina, CW, and even Paige can play SG or SF. So even if Nika is out - this UCONN team has three other quality pg's in Paige, Evina, and Azzi - and certainly with these quality players - they would be extremely, extremely, extremely formidable.

She'll be too good of an offensive weapon to only see 20 minutes unless her past injuries are affecting her.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
No critique of premise, although some responses were A+

The posting, however, mentions megan -- gauer, i believe -- who is on the connolly team and thus it presents an opportunity to offer some commentary on that blog.

Hey, guys, it would be really helpful to listeners if megan would slow her speech. It seems at times she's in a hurry to rush out her comments, and runs out of breath so that she can barely finish the last ... words ... of ... the .... sentence. somuchso that icant understandher.

And that's really sad cause she seems to have a different perspective at times and interesting things to say.

I think: don't rush, it ain't a race.

Reaction Score
I think everyone should post their predictions on the daily temperatures, high and low, in Storrs for the upcoming nine months. That way we could see how good we are at guessing something we don't know. Then we can each predict what clothing choices the coaches will display for each game. And then we can move to predicting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Or maybe we can speculate on how many posters speculate on some other arcane, unknowable subject that really will not have any effect on the eventual outcome of the UConn season. Who plays where and when and how much will be determined by the coaches perceptions of practice behavior, team chemistry, injuries, personal issues, and just plain chance based upon opponent and timing. All of these things are harmless and could provide some entertainment for some, distraction for others, and wonderment at what makes people do what they do by the more quizzical among us. Go Huskies. BTW, I predict there will be 200 minutes played per game, except OT games of which there will be less than 10 and more than none. Gosh I hope I am right! ;)
Bama has cast a death knell on the BY. Take away speculation and you take away our only reason for opening our mouths here. We like, nay, LOVE to express our opinions. If Geno chooses to distain them, that's his call (and the risk he takes when ignoring some of the best advice out there).
So: in the best tradition of addressing something arcane and unknowable, I would say that PvP has the starting 5 exactly right: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, CW, and (probably) Dorka. The bench will be very strong, and in many of our Big Least games we'll see a lot of sub-ins. We should, though, keep in mind that Coach feels obliged to give his stars ample time on the court because they're the women fans come/pay to see.
And a closing jab to those who still doubt Azzi's greatness: she is better than Paige (who is a better dancer).

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Bama has cast a death knell on the BY. Take away speculation and you take away our only reason for opening our mouths here. We like, nay, LOVE to express our opinions. If Geno chooses to distain them, that's his call (and the risk he takes when ignoring some of the best advice out there).
So: in the best tradition of addressing something arcane and unknowable, I would say that PvP has the starting 5 exactly right: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, CW, and (probably) Dorka. The bench will be very strong, and in many of our Big Least games we'll see a lot of sub-ins. We should, though, keep in mind that Coach feels obliged to give his stars ample time on the court because they're the women fans come/pay to see.
And a closing jab to those who still doubt Azzi's greatness: she is better than Paige (who is a better dancer).
I predict it will be a high of 46 and a low of 29 on December 1st. Best guess is 47,853 angels on a medium pin.

Reaction Score
No critique of premise, although some responses were A+

The posting, however, mentions megan -- gauer, i believe -- who is on the connolly team and thus it presents an opportunity to offer some commentary on that blog.

Hey, guys, it would be really helpful to listeners if megan would slow her speech. It seems at times she's in a hurry to rush out her comments, and runs out of breath so that she can barely finish the last ... words ... of ... the .... sentence. somuchso that icant understandher.

And that's really sad cause she seems to have a different perspective at times and interesting things to say.

I think: don't rush, it ain't a race.
I sent this same observation to Connelly . For those of us with age related hearing issues Megan can also be hard to hear as she runs out of breath at the end f a sentence. Also doesn’t get close enough to the mic most of the time.

Reaction Score
I have asked several times and never have received an answer..will ask 1 more time ..other than being a good distance shooter what else does do well..Rebound? Defense ? Drive to the hoop? Create her shot? Pass well? Set screens? Bueller? Bueller?

Reaction Score
I have watched a few of Fudd's games. Her buckets stand out and has a really good defensive stance. Other than that she doesn't seem to make many bad plays.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Chelsea Peretti No GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Reaction Score
I have asked several times and never have received an answer..will ask 1 more time ..other than being a good distance shooter what else does do well..Rebound? Defense ? Drive to the hoop? Create her shot? Pass well? Set screens? Bueller? Bueller?

IMO

1-- Terrific ball-handler.
2-- Terrific passer.
3-- She is "strong." So with her ball-handling (change of pace), shot-ability, and overall strength she should be able to create her own shot to a degree and not just be a jump shooter.

Reaction Score
I would say that PvP has the starting 5 exactly right: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, CW, and (probably) Dorka. The bench will be very strong, and in many of our Big Least games we'll see a lot of sub-ins. We should, though, keep in mind that Coach feels obliged to give his stars ample time on the court because they're the women fans come/pay to see.
No attack here @huskyd but have to somewhat disagree. Off season banter is good but Olivia loses her starting spot? I don't think so. Again no attack but to say Geno gives his stars ample time on the court because they're the women fans come / pay to see is simply not real. That's Geno and one who does not depend on a deep bench. He could care less about what fans think.
Fans screaming and hollering for the bench players in 40 / 50 point blow outs are not just at the game to see the starters. I do understand he keeps many in the game as it is their best competition other than themselves, but they have a men's practice team for that. The starting line up or minutes will depend on two things, how they perform in practice / work ethic / attitude etc and any possible injuries. Geno's MO has nothing to do with what we think or want to see.
Personally not always happy but 11 NC's tells me to accept it and who he puts on the floor. ;)

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Dorka starts over Liv, but I could be wrong. Here's a problem: PB is much more effective when she's the SG and not the PG. One of her many talents is moving without the ball and you can't do that if you're bringing the ball up. I suspect the same for . If Geno wants to go small, and he will at times, Nika, PB, and will be fun to watch. Who fills the other 2 spots in such a small line up, pick 'em.

Reaction Score
As @jazz suggested in big games minutes will be prioritized to perhaps 7-10 players. This exercise of who gets the minutes, is more how the season final stats will look like than anything else.

I keep updating the chart below as "more" threads of this nature are created. Comparison between the final 2020-21 stats to what I believe the final 2021-22 stats will be. My starting 5 at this time (May 31, 2021 - Memorial Day) are in blue...but next months new thread on "who gets the minutes" lotto could change this chart again. ;)

1622461359760.png

Reaction Score
No attack here @huskyd but have to somewhat disagree. Off season banter is good but Olivia loses her starting spot? I don't think so. Again no attack but to say Geno gives his stars ample time on the court because they're the women fans come / pay to see is simply not real. That's Geno and one who does not depend on a deep bench. He could care less about what fans think.
Fans screaming and hollering for the bench players in 40 / 50 point blow outs are not just at the game to see the starters. I do understand he keeps many in the game as it is their best competition other than themselves, but they have a men's practice team for that. The starting line up or minutes will depend on two things, how they perform in practice / work ethic / attitude etc and any possible injuries. Geno's MO has nothing to do with what we think or want to see.
Personally not always happy but 11 NC's tells me to accept it and who he puts on the floor. ;)
You may be right about Liv, though I wouldn't mind seeing her along with Aaliyah and Dorka on the court at the same time (replacing CW). That depends upon whether Dorka can get you the same 14 points/night she did last year, which covers CW's production. Both Dorka and CW, however, labor on the FT line. No 4th qtr. for either?
As for playing his stars, Geno his own true self made the comment I cited when he was asked a while back about why he played Stewie so long in a game that was already won. "She's who the fans come to see," said Coach. Makes sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom