Preseason Talk on the Huskies | The Boneyard

Preseason Talk on the Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is what's been posted so far:

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball
14. Connecticut Huskies: Kevin Ollie did an excellent job under difficult circumstances last season, when the Huskies — who were banned from postseason play — had nothing to play for but still managed to go 20-10. It seems safe to assume Ollie’s second season will be even better, especially with the return of guards Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright, who will combine to form one of the top backcourts in the country. The twosome averaged 32.5 points and nine assists this season. Double-digit scorers DeAndre Daniels (12.1 points) and Omar Calhoun (11.1 points) also return. Connecticut ranked second to last in the Big East this season in rebounding, so Ollie’s team must get tougher in the paint.

The Big Lead http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...d-ohio-state-florida-and-arizona-are-as-well/:
17. UConn Huskies (20-10, Were Ineligible for the NCAA Tournament)
The Napier/Boatright backcourt will once again be filthy – maybe one of the best in the country – but the problem will once again be if they have enough in the frontcourt. I’m not so sure. The big positive for Kevin Ollie is he returns everyone of note.

No mention for Goodman and CBS in their top 25+1

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Both of those seem pretty reasonable. I think most fans thought we'd be somewhere in the 15-20 range, maybe closer to 25, but still in there somewhere. Next year will be interesting and really fun...

Reaction Score
The thing about rebounding is that it won't be any worse than last year if everyone's healthy. We know what we're getting from Olander and Wolf in that department (not much), but if Nolan earns more minutes and Facey's as good as JC thinks he will be, we should get the bump in rebounding that we need to compete overall with top teams.

Reaction Score
So is CBS's ranking for FSU based on Wiggins committing there because I don't see how they get ranked ahead of us w/o Wiggins when they're best player(Snaer) is gone.

Reaction Score
If we didn't add any players I'd still say we're a top 25 team.. but we added 2 big guys who can hopefully help. I'd say 15-25 is fair until we prove otherwise.

Reaction Score
I love the Purvis add from standpoint elite athleticism and good to great size for a PG, will challenge/make Bazz & Boat better!!

Facey will contribute he is not raw. Needs to gain weight. Love Nolan's upside!!!

Reaction Score
Well what we lack in big men, Goodman lacks in brain capacity. To quote Pitino, "that man is NEVER right".

It's true. He is to basketball analysis what Clark Kellog is to basketball announcing; utter trash. I remember in during the 2010-11 season him and Parrish were constantly trashing Uconn and saying they probably wouldn't even make the tournament. I don't understand why anyone pays any attention to anything he says.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's true. He is to basketball analysis what Clark Kellog is to basketball announcing; utter trash. I remember in during the 2010-11 season him and Parrish were constantly trashing Uconn and saying they probably wouldn't even make the tournament. I don't understand why anyone pays any attention to anything he says.
Who are you talking about?:)

Reaction Score
FYI, Andy Katz just predicted his next years top 5 (Ky, Duke, UNC, Mich St and Ariz) but closed the discussion by mentioning that UConn could also break in with their returning backcourt. None of the other experts mentioned the Huskies. At least now the odds are good that Katz will be more inclined to be positive about us going forward simply to help ratify his public projection.

Reaction Score
No UConn in the USA Today poll, including the 19 others receiving votes. Apparently they think Denver University is better. I have to think this is an oversight caused by our absence from the postseason.

Reaction Score
No UConn in the USA Today poll, including the 19 others receiving votes. Apparently they think Denver University is better. I have to think this is an oversight caused by our absence from the postseason.
It is. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the respect we've gotten in some of these rankings. I expected a lot worse based upon the complete lack of effort I know most of these guys put into their preseason polls.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I really don't put much stock in whatever guys like Goodman write. Give me Facey, Nolan, and Brimah to block shots, rebound, and run the floor. All can do, and will pleasantly surprise. Olander at least provides veteran depth. They will actually be pretty damn good, with Daniel dominating the 3/4 spot.

Reaction Score
I kinda would like to be unranked to start next season. That's pure bulletin board material

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight. We were ranked *this* year for stretches -- we beat, among others, Michigan State, Syracuse and Notre Dame -- and I think there would be a consensus that we were in the top 40 or so teams (certainly good enough for an at-large bid had we been eligible).

This despite having no front-court to speak of. Now, we return the entire team (the very one that knocked off MSU, SU and ND, and won 17 other games), including one of the best back-courts in the country and a player in DeAndre Daniels who took his game to the next level starting in February, and bring in two guys who might be raw offensively but who will address the team's biggest flaw (defensive rebounding), and we're supposed to not improve at all? Yeah, right.

D

DanDar

The bigs take longer to develop and the ones we bring in are raw and not highly ranked. We're fans so we're optimistic but I can understand the pessimism. Having said that, now that UConn will be in the AAC, the schedule should be quite easier. We're getting Cinicy, UL, Memphis and Temple as the hard games, then a bunch of mid-majors. I'd be shocked if UConn has more than 5 losses next year.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight. We were ranked *this* year for stretches -- we beat, among others, Michigan State, Syracuse and Notre Dame -- and I think there would be a consensus that we were in the top 40 or so teams (certainly good enough for an at-large bid had we been eligible).

This despite having no front-court to speak of. Now, we return the entire team (the very one that knocked off MSU, SU and ND, and won 17 other games), including one of the best back-courts in the country and a player in DeAndre Daniels who took his game to the next level starting in February, and bring in two guys who might be raw offensively but who will address the team's biggest flaw (defensive rebounding), and we're supposed to not improve at all? Yeah, right.
My thoughts also. I don't think most of the media paid too much attention to UConn this year. Out of sight, out of mind. So they're not thinking about them for next year. Also, a lot of teams are losing key pieces. I think some overlook that. I just saw Indiana #9 somewhere and they're losing Olapido and Zeller. Someone really thinks they're just going to be where about they left off without those 2? Come on. ESPN and TSN both had UConn at 14, which feels about right. None of the others had them ranked.

Reaction Score
My thoughts also. I don't think most of the media paid too much attention to UConn this year. Out of sight, out of mind. So they're not thinking about them for next year. Also, a lot of teams are losing key pieces. I think some overlook that. I just saw Indiana #9 somewhere and they're losing Olapido and Zeller. Someone really thinks they're just going to be where about they left off without those 2? Come on. ESPN and TSN both had UConn at 14, which feels about right. None of the others had them ranked.

I agree. It is only two days after the season ended and we don't know everyone who has declared yet. Also we can't forget that ESPN is right in our backyard which will always results in us getting a coverage right before the season.

Not to mention that two years ago we were unranked going into the season.

Reaction Score
The bigs take longer to develop and the ones we bring in are raw and not highly ranked. We're fans so we're optimistic but I can understand the pessimism. Having said that, now that UConn will be in the AAC, the schedule should be quite easier. We're getting Cinicy, UL, Memphis and Temple as the hard games, then a bunch of mid-majors. I'd be shocked if UConn has more than 5 losses next year.

I would say, prepare to be shocked. 8 games against Cincy, Temple, Louisville and Memphis should yield about 3 losses. We then know of games against Indiana, Washington and Maryland, but there will likely be more against good OOC competition. Say 1 or 2 losses there. People are going to be surprised by the level of play at UCF and East Carolina. Those teams are on par with middle of the road Catholic/BE schools. We already had 2 losses to USF and UCF within the last two years. With 10 games against the rest of the AAC (than against the 4 above), don't be surprised at all by 2 more losses.

If UConn adds even one more tough OOC game, I'll expect 7 or 8 losses. I assume there will be no WTF OOC loss against a team like BC.

Reaction Score
I am a glass half empty guy but it blows my mind that we aren't highly ranked. (Top 20).

Great backcourt, Daniels was outplaying Porter and dominant at times at the end of the year (still a lot of room for improvement), tons of experience and Calhoun was awesome in the second half. 4 big time scorers, guys like Giffey off the bench. I think the lack of wow in recruiting prob has something to do w it. Having seen Facey, he is a player. Not dominant but can play a nice role and Nolan oozes potential.

Oh and Ollie blew away expectations with an amazing job getting more out of this team than anyone expected!

Big year ahead!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#