Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1 | The Boneyard

Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So much for any thoughts that UConn might be an "underdog" this year.

NCAA Women's Basketball - Coaches Poll | USA Today Sports

upload_2016-10-27_11-34-19.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yikes, I wouldn't want to be around Brenda when she sees this after her comments the other day. ;)
Brenda who? Seriously, after weeks of practice Brenda had her epiphany. She's probably pulling her hair out trying to figure how to turn this group of selfish ball hogs into the championship material she thought a wealth talent easily attains.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think this is right. UCONN should be #1 until somebody unseats them.. if that happens.

SCG, we're thinking exactly alike. You beat me to the punch. I was going to post your comment word for word. I don't care who left or who's coming, when you finish the year as the undisputed champion, you begin the next season #1 until you get beat. Let's show a little respect here.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think this is right. UCONN should be #1 until somebody unseats them.. if that happens.
Here I disagree. I agree with Geno who says all those banners in the rafters are other teams. This team hasn't proved anything yet. I have Baylor, SC, ND then either MD or The UConn. This isn't like some retired heavyweight champ un-retiring.

Reaction Score
Here I disagree. I agree with Geno who says all those banners in the rafters are other teams. This team hasn't proved anything yet. I have Baylor, SC, ND then either MD or The UConn. This isn't like some retired heavyweight champ un-retiring.
Nobody has proven anything yet...having said that, I think they got it right with UCONN at #1

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Jordy, your argument can apply to all of the other teams too. No one has won or lost a game yet. This year's Baylor team didn't finish in the top 4. I understand your position, but if no one has played a game yet, why not pick up where we left off at the end of the season?

Reaction Score

This thought process befuddles me. If Lebron James had left Cleveland would you still have said that the Cavs must be rated the #1 team in the NBA to start the season simply because they won the title last year?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Interesting the Tennessee moves up even though they had no recruits come in and 2 players done for the season.
Holly talked today in media day. That the feel for this team is different than later years.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordy, your argument can apply to all of the other teams too. No one has won or lost a game yet. This year's Baylor team didn't finish in the top 4. I understand your position, but if no one has played a game yet, why not pick up where we left off at the end of the season?
This thought process befuddles me. If Lebron James had left Cleveland would you still have said that the Cavs must be rated the #1 team in the NBA to start the season simply because they won the title last year?
I think vowelguy pretty much encapsules it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Holly talked today in media day. That the feel for this team is different than later years.
As a LadyVol fan I thought you'd understand. First I am not a UT hater as some are here. I'm past all that. Second, even with the lost talent this is a talented team, with enough to challenge for SEC crown. My opinion of Holly, her schemes on offense, her on court decisions--well, that's a different story.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I agree with Geno who says all those banners in the rafters are other teams. This team hasn't proved anything yet. I have Baylor, SC, ND then either MD or The UConn. This isn't like some retired heavyweight champ un-retiring.
Yes, but there are two names on the Huskies Wall of Honor adjacent to those banners that I believe are the difference maker in those voting coaches opinion/s.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
As a LadyVol fan I thought you'd understand. First I am not a UT hater as some are here. I'm past all that. Second, even with the lost talent this is a talented team, with enough to challenge for SEC crown. My opinion of Holly, her schemes on offense, her on court decisions--well, that's a different story.
I do understand that. Holly also talked about doing some things a little different in practice.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yes, but there are two names on the Huskies Wall of Honor adjacent to those banners that I believe are the difference maker in those voting coaches opinion/s.
I get it. But coaches don't play, players do. Sometimes it takes time for a coaches expectations and a players expectations to align. Of course also, a coach works with the players he has on hand.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I do understand that. Holly also talked about doing some things a little different in practice.
As I said, I thought you would. But for Holly it ain't practice that's the issue. It's her offensive scheme, her ability to teach anything other than that outmoded double post dump and pluck offense and her puzzling on court decisions that hold this team back. Not to mention her ability to lead and not merely be a mother figure.

Reaction Score
This is just a prediction of the relative strength of teams prior to the season but some seem to believe it's some sort of award to be won. Of course one would look to last year for clues. But changes have to be considered as well. IMO there is no clear cut favorite.

I'd list the same teams 1-5 but I think that the 1st place votes should be distributed among them more evenly.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
As I said, I thought you would. But for Holly it ain't practice that's the issue. It's her offensive scheme, her ability to teach anything other than that outmoded double post dump and pluck offense and her puzzling on court decisions that hold this team back. Not to mention her ability to lead and not merely be a mother figure.
Here's a link to what Holly, Diamond, and Jordan said.
Lady Vol Hoops Media Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS