Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

Reaction Score
Had the Jamaican goal keeper been just a little more competent the game would have been ... far too interesting. Possibly even 1-1, at least after 90. Still think USA would have pulled it out eventually in extra time IMO. I did not see prior to the delay as a group of Mexicans were keen to keep the channel on Peru/Chile (even when Peru went up 3-0) in the apartment social area BUT I saw everything after the delay and they came out looking a little flat. Any way, Pulisic has a knack for being in the right place at the right time but both goals were quite a bit of luck too and due to poor goal keeper decisions. Won't have those situations vs Ochoa I feel.

Still, come on us, take out Mexico, I'll be on of the few fans watching in a sea of Mexicans!

That Jamaican goalie is UCONN grad Andre Blake and he’s more than ‘conpetent’. He was 2x Big East goalie of the year and the #1 overall pick in the MLS draft. He has made numerous MLS all-star games and won MLS goalie of the year a few years ago.

Reaction Score
That Jamaican goalie is UCONN grad Andre Blake and he’s more than ‘conpetent’. ... numerous MLS all-star games and MLS goalie of the year a few years ago.
Just one view and it’s Blake’s life, but it’s been interesting he has not appeared to have pursued a more competitive league with likely higher competition

Reaction Score
He’s pushing 30. I think that window has now closed. He’s probably not good enough for a top tier European league but could definitely play somewhere.
Yup, may have sailed away with the wind and/or MLS potentially sets Blake up for a pretty comfortable post-soccer career lifestyle back home or even in the Stated

Reaction Score
Blake is like a slightly above average MLS keeper. He probably has more of his career in front of him than behind him since he is a keeper.

Reaction Score
Blake is like a slightly above average MLS keeper. He probably has more of his career in front of him than behind him since he is a keeper.

This is false. He is widely considered a top 5 MLS keeper

Reaction Score
Did Boyd offend GB? Not in the starting roster again, and didn’t play last match.

US starters tonight:
Arriola Altidore Morris
Pulisic McKennie Bradley
Ream Long Miazga Cannon
Stefan

Reaction Score
Did Boyd offend GB? Not in the starting roster again, and didn’t play last match.

US starters tonight:
Arriola Altidore Morris
Pulisic McKennie Bradley
Ream Long Miazga Cannon
Stefan

At least Zardes is not starting. If he was, the US would not be taking this game seriously.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is false. He is widely considered a top 5 MLS keeper
For several seasons he either won or came in top 3 as MLS top keeper

Reaction Score
At least Zardes is not starting. If he was, the US would not be taking this game seriously.

The only thing I can think of is that he wants some power available on the bench.

Reaction Score
That being said 0-0 is decent for the US because this Mexico team is better than them. Even if Pulisic is class on the field.

Reaction Score
Interesting first half. Pulisic and Altidore need to bury those chances early. I’d like to see Boyd subbed in for either Morris or Arriola sooner rather than later, assuming he’s not injured.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It has to be said that the US looked much better in the first half than at any time before under Berhalter.

Having said that, Tata made adjustments that have flipped the script for the second half. What will Berhalter do? Let's hope something good...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Starts Morris, who is more or less useless, subs on Roldan who is the same but slower. Leaves Boyd on the bench. Arena 2.0

To be fair, his starting lineup did well. Much better than expected, and should have had the lead. The problem is that he is being thoroughly outcoached in the second half, to the point where we can't even get a hold of the ball...

Reaction Score
In summary after 80', the US had chances in the first 45'; but failed to put one in the net. Mexico adapted in the second 45' with a higher press that has isolated Cannon and Pulisic and the US has not adjusted. Morris should not have started and the fact that Zardes is back on the field (for Altidore) is not a confidence booster.

If this games ends as a 1-0 Mexico win, too many people will see it as a success for Berhalter. I do not.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
In summary after 80', the US had chances in the first 45'; but failed to put one in the net. Mexico adapted in the second 45' with a higher press that has isolated Cannon and Pulisic and the US has not adjusted. Morris should not have started and the fact that Zardes is back on the field (for Altidore) is not a confidence booster.

If this games ends as a 1-0 Mexico win, too many people will see it as a success for Berhalter. I do not.

If anything, it should be an indictment of Berhalter, because it's clear that the fellas came to play hard. But the second half adjustments are EXACTLY what a good coach can do.

The worst part is that we could have had the other guy...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom