Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

Reaction Score
Until more kids are playing playground soccer and more unstructured soccer not much is going to change.
This!!! I’m pretty fortunate in that I get to travel internationally for work. Spend a fair amount of time in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, and England. When driving to and from hotels, offices, airports, etc. especially once you get outside of the major cities, you see pickup soccer games happening all over the place. At school yards, parks, playgrounds, tennis courts, etc. No different than hoops in the US. Kids that are in to it are playing it constantly.

Reaction Score
Still a top 5 player on the team

No, but when the choices on the current roster are him or Will Trapp, we are in kind of a bad spot. Of course, even if others (*cough* Adams) were healthy, they wouldn't be playing in their natural positions in place of Bradley . . .

Reaction Score
Until more kids are playing playground soccer and more unstructured soccer not much is going to change.

Pulisic only went to two practices a week, played like a game a week in season. He spent the rest of his time playing with his ball.

Zidane developed his skill playing pick up games.

Kids in America go to practice and then play Call of Duty or play basketball in the driveway.
Can't blame them. COD is fun!

Reaction Score
No, but when the choices on the current roster are him or Will Trapp, we are in kind of a bad spot. Of course, even if others (*cough* Adams) were healthy, they wouldn't be playing in their natural positions in place of Bradley . . .
He can still pick out a pass better than anyone in our pool. The hate for him has been somewhat warranted because he was such a good player pre~2015, but in a do or die match I want him, Mckennie and Adams starting in midfield.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He can still pick out a pass better than anyone in our pool. The hate for him has been somewhat warranted because he was such a good player pre~2015, but in a do or die match I want him, Mckennie and Adams starting in midfield.

This is exactly what I've been saying for about 2 years now.

The problem is not that Bradley is playing. The problem is that the US hasn't found someone to displace him yet. That's the biggest indictment of the past 5 years for US Soccer...

Reaction Score
Just watched the USWNT take a 1-0 lead over England on a nice header from Christen Press. First though thru my head was ‘Nice finish’. Second thought was ‘Zardes would have put that ball 4 feet high and into the third row behind the goal, unless he didn’t see it and it ricocheted off his face.’

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I've been saying for about 2 years now.

The problem is not that Bradley is playing. The problem is that the US hasn't found someone to displace him yet. That's the biggest indictment of the past 5 years for US Soccer...

Adams could displace him, but the manager wants to play him out of position.

Reaction Score
Just watched the USWNT take a 1-0 lead over England on a nice header from Christen Press. First though thru my head was ‘Nice finish’. Second thought was ‘Zardes would have put that ball 4 feet high and into the third row behind the goal, unless he didn’t see it and it ricocheted off his face.’

Zardes scores that goal every time accidentally with his pancreas.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This!!! I’m pretty fortunate in that I get to travel internationally for work. Spend a fair amount of time in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, and England. When driving to and from hotels, offices, airports, etc. especially once you get outside of the major cities, you see pickup soccer games happening all over the place. At school yards, parks, playgrounds, tennis courts, etc. No different than hoops in the US. Kids that are in to it are playing it constantly.
I hear ya on this but we all know this won't likely ever happen here. Most kids, if they're outside, are playing a game of pick up basketball or football. Maybe playing baseball or whiffle ball. Those sports are far too engrained in this country unlike the major soçcer countries.

Now we have way better talent now and more playing overseas. However, we won't see to many pick up soccer games anywhere

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Adams could displace him, but the manager wants to play him out of position.
Only problem with Adams in GB's "system" as the 6 is he's not quite up to par with Bradley or Trapp in passing. And GB really wants that. However, I think Adams covers more ground, better defensively and can move the ball forward better than either. But those long switching passes, not so much....at least at this point in his career. And GB really likes those long switching passes out to the wingers.

However, I'd be fine with him instead of either.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Who would be the staring 3 in midfield?
I think most people would like to give Adams - 6, McKennie - 8 and Pulisic - 10 a try. May or may not work. Pulisic may need to be outside (7 or 11). But at least give it a shot. If it works you got your midfield for the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
Only problem with Adams in GB's "system" as the 6 is he's not quite up to par with Bradley or Trapp in passing. And GB really wants that. However, I think Adams covers more ground, better defensively and can move the ball forward better than either. But those long switching passes, not so much....at least at this point in his career. And GB really likes those long switching passes out to the wingers.

However, I'd be fine with him instead of either.

Yeah his long passing is pretty bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think most people would like to give Adams - 6, McKennie - 8 and Pulisic - 10 a try. May or may not work. Pulisic may need to be outside (7 or 11). But at least give it a shot. If it works you got your midfield for the next 10 years.
I think most people are correct. But the Americans think they know better than the Europeans. I've decided that chip on their shoulder is hurting the USMNT's progress.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But those long switching passes, not so much....at least at this point in his career.

I've seen him make that pass a couple of times for Leipzig. Maybe that was it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah his long passing is pretty bad.

I've seen him make that pass a couple of times for Leipzig. Maybe that was it.
Not saying he's "bad" at it, but it's not really his forte at this point in his career. And at this point in Bradley's and Trapp's careers, it's really their only forte.

But like I said I'd rather have him than them. Don't think GB agrees though.

Reaction Score
I'm less focused on positions at the moment than on having 11 players of a quality that getting into the Final 16 with a shot at the quarters at World Cups gets back on the table.

In this tourney's starting 11, we really only have 2 -- Pulisic and McKinney. Fully healthy, add Brooks, Adams and Yedlin. That's 5. I think there is a chance Steffen will be really good by 2022. Hope Sargent and Weah develop into senior level national team players and then you have 8 and we can start to talk.

Let's see them go out and beat Jamaica tonight and we can go from there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not saying he's "bad" at it, but it's not really his forte at this point in his career. And at this point in Bradley's and Trapp's careers, it's really their only forte.
I'm going with the guy whose "not forte" is in the same ballpark as other guys fortes. And if Trapp is the answer, what's the question?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tim Ream was a boss in the Championship 3 years ago. Little odd seeing him as Captain tonight...

Reaction Score
Mexico did what Mexico does best last night, flops for a questionable PK (turns out to be the winner) in AET v Haiti.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom