Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

Reaction Score
Both seem to have a good connection with Arriola as well. I'd like to see that group with Bobby Wood in place of Zardes or Jozy. This team looks like it wants to play direct. I don't think thats what GB wants.

Anything that bypasses the hole we have at Defensive Midfield is a good idea.

Greggg is way over thinking this. Pulisic is the type of player takes the ball and runs right at the goal from the top corner of the box, he either loses the ball, gets through with a shot on goal or a pass or gets fouled resulting in a great free kick opportunity or occasionally but regularly enough a PK. He is regularly is at the top or near the top of the Bundesliga in dribbles. In all of Europe at one point the only players who attempted more dribbles were Messi and Ronaldo. I’m not saying that he is in their class, but that’s the type of player he is and that is how Dortmund employed him.

RB Leipzig uses Adams as a midfielder. But Greggg wants to use him as some sort inverted RB who overloads the midfield when we are in possession, never mind the fact that when we play quality opponents, we almost never have the ball more...

Reaction Score
I thought Pulisic and Arriola played well together attacking the left side, especially in the first half.

Reaction Score
This kid Pulisic just might make it in this sport. Wow, he’s on a different level than everyone else on the field.
Boyd has never met a shot he didn’t like. Once he picks his head up and occasionally makes the last pass, he’ll be so hard to defend.
Zardes finished well on his 2 point blank shots, and should have had 3 goals by now.
Long has had a solid game a great finish on the opening goal.
McKennie is a bit of a hot head, but love his attitude and fight.

Reaction Score
Mckennie needs to be a better Jermaine Jones. Not there yet, but he's young still

Reaction Score
Very good game all around. The attacking 3rd came out with great energy and ball movement.

Reaction Score
Like the end result, the energy in the second half, and evenge factor as thsi team should be upset about what happended in 2017 and needed to make a statement. Still, the defense was still too purous for me from time to time against an inferior oppoent and we need that energy for all 90 minutes, not just 45. Not sure if their final 1st round game againts Panama will show anything as both teams have advance. Not until the US blanks Jamiaca, Canada or Mexico 6-0 will I be convienced that progress has been made.

Reaction Score
Offensively we look very good, but yes, the D will always be suspect.

Reaction Score
That was a very good effort offensively. It could have been 6-4 as easily as it was 6-0 though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm willing to roll with Boyd and Arriola for a while. CP and McKennie are locks. Still waiting to see something from anyone else. Steffen is gaffe prone and the entire backline needs to give way to better players. Bradley is done. Jozy again, doesn't fit the system and has the worst touch on the squad.

I still need to be convinced that Zardes is a positive over any replacement though he beats our Wondo for tap-ins.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to roll with Boyd and Arriola for a while. CP and McKennie are locks. Still waiting to see something from anyone else. Steffen is gaffe prone and the entire backline needs to give way to better players. Bradley is done. Jozy again, doesn't fit the system and has the worst touch on the squad.

I still need to be convinced that Zardes is a positive over any replacement though he beats our Wondo for tap-ins.

Zardes at least works back on D, something Jozy never does.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Zardes at least works back on D, something Jozy never does.
Not something you really want your striker doing.

Zardes is not too bad for tap ins, but Altidore just brings a lot more to the table. When you have Pulisic, Boyd, Arriola, McKennie to make runs into the box, having a ST that can play 1/2's with them or drop back into MF and hit runners, is much better. Also Altidore can create his on shot (on occasion).

Unfortunately, Altidore is still our best Striker. Hopefully Sargent will come along and maybe we can get another cycle out of Woods. We're just not very deep at this position.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are we talking Gold Cup here?

Um... does it get shadier than the 94th minute goal for Curacao. Wow

Reaction Score
favorable draw for the US. Curacao in Philly, Jamaica or Panama in Nashville, Costa Rica or Mexico to be eliminated in the quarters.

The performances haven't been perfect.. but 3 wins and 3 clean sheets to start the tournament is looking much much better than those disastrous friendlies.

three games in, this is how I would line them up on Sunday:

Steffen
Lima Zimmerman Miazga Ream
Pulisic Bradley (ugh) McKennie
Boyd Jozy Arriola

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a great game last night. But 11 changes, not giving up any goals, winning, topping the group. Can't ask for much more. On to Philly and Curacao.

fullsizeoutput_33fb.jpeg

Reaction Score
favorable draw for the US. Curacao in Philly, Jamaica or Panama in Nashville, Costa Rica or Mexico to be eliminated in the quarters.

The performances haven't been perfect.. but 3 wins and 3 clean sheets to start the tournament is looking much much better than those disastrous friendlies.

three games in, this is how I would line them up on Sunday:

Steffen
Lima Zimmerman Miazga Ream
Pulisic Bradley (ugh) McKennie
Boyd Jozy Arriola

Definitely not perfect. Even a B-heavy team should have taken down Panama by a bigger margin on home turf (away is a harder challenge as they play in a swamp and usually host during hurricane season). Worried that once the US faces a quality team (likely in the final against Mexico) that the sudden change of pace and skill is going to be a shock and how the team handles the shock and how the manager adapts will be crucial.

Reaction Score
2 horrendous mistakes by Canada’s right back has turned what was once a solid 2-0 Canada lead at the half to a 2-2 game in the 75th minute. First a weak back pass to the keeper was picked up by a Hatian who scored (keeper should’ve been more aggressive going towards the ball, too), then a terrible sliding tackle in the box giving away a PK to make it 2-2... and as I type this Haiti scores again to make it 3-2.

Wow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just back from France (not for the Women’s World Cup) and see the Curaçao game is on. Why is Michael Bradley still on this team?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1-0 on a nice cross and header. Have not seen this team under the new management. Pretty inconsistent. Creating some danger and giving up too much.

Reaction Score
Just back from France (not for the Women’s World Cup) and see the Curaçao game is on. Why is Michael Bradley still on this team?

Because he plays for MLS and is still one of the 'big' marketable names in the league, which means more money for MLS owners.

Reaction Score
A lot of these Curaçao players play for Dutch teams in the Eredivisie, the top division. Curaçao and Haiti are getting smart and recruiting dual nationals to play for their ‘other country’. Haiti via France and Curaçao via The Netherlands. It is paying off as both are much improved over the last 4+ years.

Reaction Score
This US team will get shredded by Mexico, assuming they even make the final. Very disconnected, not fluid at all so far. If Curaçao is causing problems on the counter, good lord... El Tri will carve this back 4 up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom