• CT by 0-10 (in regulation)

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • CT by 10+ (in regulation)

Votes: 15 11.7%

• Total voters

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, I don't think UConn has the defense to hold Notre Dame to 64 points at home. That would be remarkable.

I'm counting on 4 things in this game,
1. Arike staying true to form and taking a lot of shots, missing most of them, providing UConn with lots of defensive rebound (possessions) opportunities (and cashing them in).

2. ND is not a prolific 3 point shooting team. They are a horrid 11-46 (23%) to date. This fact alone will help. Ogunbowale is their main 3 point shooter. She's only shooting 8/29 behind the arc (27.6%).

3. I'm hoping ND will come out "tight" to begin the game. Because of this being the biggest game on their schedule, and the importance of this game, and it's UConn on the other end of the court, knowing this is the best team they will play all year. They know that UConn can take their mistakes and turn them into points more than any other team they’ll play.

4. UConn will play their best defensive game to date. I know Geno will be stressing defense in every practice leading up to this game. UConn's defense is usually better than most other team's. I realize it's not what it was during the "Breanna Stewart era", but it's still pretty good, and getting better.

Ogunbowale is their leading scorer. If UConn can slow her down and keep her under 15 points, that will help. They've also got to keep Turner and Shepard in check, and minimize giving them easy uncontested buckets (put backs) under the basket. If Arkie goes off, or any of our players get in early foul trouble, and one of them has to sit more than 12 minutes during the 1st half, we're screwed. Pennsylvania held them to 77 points. I think UConn's defense is better than theirs. UConn was up at the half last time 41-34, but couldn't hold the lead.

UConn's players were tired (Lou was gassed, she played the entire game and Crystal was hurting - shin splints) and in foul trouble last time, which opened the door for ND's 91 points. The Irish were like sharks that smelled blood, they kept attacking UConn. I'm hoping fatigue won't be a factor this time, as I look for Geno to use his bench very sparingly. Camara will probably not be available for this game due to her recent injury.

ND was relentless last time, knowing UConn was in foul trouble and couldn't really challenge them in the paint. Gabby, Lou & Kia had 4 fouls, and basically had to put their hands in their pockets. Stevens had 2, but was on the bench the majority of the second half, :confused: and was the only reserve to get in the game (28 mins).

ND kept it close until the end where a shot at the buzzer made the difference. I don't think this will be a high scoring game. I think BOTH teams will be tight at the tip (sold out arena/nationally televised game) trying to feel each other out. Let's hope the referees let them play without blowing any "ticky-tack" fouls.

This game will mean more if played in March, but neither team wants to lose this game. There's a better than even chance they'll see each other again and the next meeting will have much more importance.

Post script edit: My wishs came true. Ogunbowale took 18 shots and missed 12 of them, and went 0-6 form beyond the arc for only 17 points.

I was correct about them being a horrible 3 pt shooting team. They were 1-12. :D

They were "tight" in the 4th qtr, they only scored 12 points. :D

UConn played a very good defensive game given the fact they were playing the best team they will play this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
1. Arike staying true to form and taking a lot of shots, missing most of them, providing UConn with lots of defensive rebound (possessions) opportunities (and cashing them in).

2. ND is not a prolific 3 point shooting team. They are a horrid 11-46 (23%) to date. This fact alone will help.
Ogunbowale is their main 3 point shooter. She's only shooting 8/29 behind the arc (27.6%).

3. I'm hoping ND will come out "tight" to begin the game. Because of this being the biggest game on their schedule, and the importance of this game, and it's UConn on the other end of the court, knowing this is the best team they will play all year.

4. UConn will play their best defensive game to date. I know Geno will be stressing defense in every practice leading up to this game. UConn's defense is usually better than most other team's. I realize it's not what it was during the "Breanna Stewart era", but it's still pretty good, and getting better.

Ogunbowale is their leading scorer. If UConn can slow her down and keep her under 15 points, that will help. They've also got to keep Turner and Shepard in check, and minimize giving them easy uncontested buckets (put backs) under the basket. If Arkie goes off, or any of our players get in early foul trouble, and one of them has to sit more than 12 minutes during the 1st half, we're screwed. Pennsylvania held them to 77 points. I think UConn's defense is better than theirs. UConn was up at the half last time 41-34, but couldn't hold the lead.

UConn's players were tired (Lou was gassed, she played the entire game and Crystal was hurting - shin splints) and in foul trouble last time, which opened the door for ND's 91 points. The Irish were like sharks that smelled blood, they kept attacking UConn. I'm hoping fatigue won't be a factor this time, as I look for Geno to use his bench very sparingly. Camara will probably not be available for this game due to her recent injury.

ND was relentless last time, knowing UConn was in foul trouble and couldn't really challenge them in the paint. Gabby, Lou & Kia had 4 fouls, and basically had to put their hands in their pockets. Stevens had 2, but was on the bench the majority of the second half, :confused: and was the only reserve to get in the game (28 mins).

ND kept it close until the end where a shot at the buzzer made the difference. I don't think this will be a high scoring game. I think BOTH teams will be tight at the tip (sold out arena/nationally televised game) trying to feel each other out. Let's hope the referees let them play without blowing any "ticky-tack" fouls.

This game will mean more if played in March, but neither team wants to lose this game. There's a better than even chance they'll see each other again and the next meeting will have much more importance.
3 Point stats will get better with Marina back considering she’s the best 3 Point shooter on the team. But Jackie and Arike can also get hot from 3 from time to time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, the key to slowing ND down is stopping Young, imo. If UConn had kept her in check last season, the game would not have been close. Thirty Seven points? No, no, no.

That's true. Young killed us last time. Young WILL NOT have another 32 point game this time. I should have said 5 things I'm counting on. ;)

Reaction Score
You must have an issue with Baylor. Seems like anytime they are mentioned in your post it's negative.
Baylor has its moments. Like the Sweet 16 2 years ago they looked like the team to beat when they thrashed my team L’ville by 33. L’ville looked like child’s play for Baylor that day. That was a nice team with Prince AJones Wallace and Brown and Davis. They played a great game. Next game they lost to someone in the Elite 8. Morgan William ate Kristy Wallace alive and Kim tore into Wallace big time most of the game. I really liked Alexis Prince. Glad she found a way to make a WNBA team
Do I think Kim is a great coach. Heck no. A terrific recruiter absolutely

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For anyone who gets these scores right,i wish you could have told us where the capitol of Massachussets and "Baby Stanford" were going way earlier.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If UConn plays and shoots like today they could win by 10. If ND get home calls so the starting 5 have to sit ND wins by 15. I hope for a game well played by both teams with no terrible calls. ND is deeper and more experienced as a team. They have much more to lose. Therefore I predict 73-67 UConn.

Reaction Score

2. ND is not a prolific 3 point shooting team. They are a horrid 11-46 (23%) to date. This fact alone will help.
Ogunbowale is their main 3 point shooter. She's only shooting 8/29 behind the arc (27.6%).

3. I'm hoping ND will come out "tight" to begin the game. Because of this being the biggest game on their schedule, and the importance of this game, and it's UConn on the other end of the court, knowing this is the best team they will play all year.

Revisionist history. ND's starters played more minutes than UConn's starters. They were either all gassed or running on adrenaline. Both teams had injured players as most NCAA teams in every sport have at the end of the season. UConn had KLS and CD that you mentioned for sure and I imagine others too. ND had Westbeld injured an ankle in the 1st round, Mabrey's wrist was documented as injured during the TV coverage of the tourney, and Shepard turned an ankle that she had been dealing with most of the year during the FF game. That's not even mentioning the nagging injuries that they had throughout the season. The foul trouble is greatly exaggerated. Lou was in foul trouble, which Geno didn't/couldn't manage effectively. That's on him. Gabby and Kia didn't collect their 4th fouls until 1:40 and :38 in OT respectively and ND never tried to drive on or isolate either of them 1 on 1 once they got their 4th.

Reaction Score
Msst Thrashes TX by 20
ND beats UCONN by 10 due to foul trouble for 1 UCONN starter likely collier.
Baylor Beats SC by 16

Reaction Score
Baylor has its moments. Like the Sweet 16 2 years ago they looked like the team to beat when they thrashed my team L’ville by 33. L’ville looked like child’s play for Baylor that day. That was a nice team with Prince AJones Wallace and Brown and Davis. They played a great game. Next game they lost to someone in the Elite 8. Morgan William ate Kristy Wallace alive and Kim tore into Wallace big time most of the game. I really liked Alexis Prince. Glad she found a way to make a WNBA team

Isn't that the same team that UConn lost to the next game and didn't even make it to over time at least?

Reaction Score

She must be the best NOT great coach to have won 3 National Titles within their bad coaching career.

Reaction Score
Just to add to what's already been said.

I believe that Uconn has to be aggressive against ND. Everyone needs to put pressure on ND defensively and either one draw contact and fouls or two make them work on defense where they are tired on the offensive end. I think that Arike and Young will get their points. But can you pressure mabrey since she's a defensive liability. I think CDangerfield should be able to go where she wants and set up the plays against Mabrey. If Williams and Walker can be aggressive and draw fouls on their opposing defenders then it will mean ND needs to go to a weak bench. As for the post, Sheppard and Turner will be tough to guard, but since Arike is such a ball hog, rebounding and second point chance need to be limited, meaning everyone needs to crash the boards.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She won one when she was an assistant coach at Louisiana Tech.

Oh. We generally don't count those around here. We'll just put an * next to Kim's 3 national titles as a coach.

Reaction Score
Oh. We generally don't count those around here. We'll just put an * next to Kim's 3 national titles as a coach.

So CD can't count all 11 of her's when/if she becomes a head coach?

Reaction Score
Well I'll gladly disagree with you. She is there doing as much work as Geno and is a huge part in the success of the team.

Reaction Score
Well I'll gladly disagree with you. She is there doing as much work as Geno and is a huge part in the success of the team.
She can claim them as much as the players can. It just goes on Auriemma's resume.

Reaction Score
She can claim them as much as the players can. It just goes on Auriemma's resume.

Am I wrong but wouldn't it go on her's also? Isn't that part of why she was inducted into the HOF?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
CD has 12 National Championships, including one as a player at Rutgers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I think I know all about CD's contributions to the program. Thanks.

If Chris ever becomes a head coach she will start off with zero national championships as a head coach. She has of course played a major role in the program's 11 national championships to date. As Geno often says, he would have none without her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom