Votes: 3 2.3%
  • CT by 0-10 (in regulation)

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • CT by 10+ (in regulation)

Votes: 15 11.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
What is Charli's situation these days?

Charlie is averaging 8 points and 4 boards in 15.7 minutes a game. She leads the team in personal fouls.:p She looks like the very talented freshman she is with glimpses of a possible brilliant future and her share of freshman mistakes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford @ Gonzaga

Going with all home teams except South Carolina

Interesting pick. Stanford beat Gonzaga easily in the Tourney last year. Both teams lost their leading scorer from last year. I think Stanford has a lot more firepower than GU does. Zags had a nice showing in the Vancouver Showcase, but I'd be surprised if they knock off the 'Furd.

Reaction Score
UConn 83 ND 38

Seriously...

... If UConn brings the A game, UConn by 20
The B game? UConn by 5
The C game? ND by 10

Reaction Score
Interesting pick. Stanford beat Gonzaga easily in the Tourney last year. Both teams lost their leading scorer from last year. I think Stanford has a lot more firepower than GU does. Zags had a nice showing in the Vancouver Showcase, but I'd be surprised if they knock off the 'Furd.

Nothing scientific about the pick, went to the ESPN schedule for Dec. 2nd (as seen below), for the most part I chose the Zags for being at home only....if they do end up winning, I would look damn good with my prediction. On the flip side, if Stanford wins...I'll just say, they should have won..they're #8th ranked team in the USA. :rolleyes:

1543263605833.png

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
- Mississippi State will beat Texas.
- Baylor will defeat South Carolina (and should do so pretty easily).
- I'd like to see UConn play DePaul and ND play Iowa before offering a "final" opinion on this particular game. In particular, I want to see UConn-DePaul because ND has already played the Blue Demons.
- Based on the ND-Gonzaga game, I think Stanford should defeat if they hold off the opening surge Gonzaga is sure to come out with in the beginning of the game. Simply too much talent.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Young will guard Lou. Muffet has said in the past that she is the only one who can guard Lou.
I thought Mabrey guarded her last year?

Agree with The Cat. Young plays taller than her 6' frame and that will be necessary against KLS. If ND goes 2-3 zone for a spell, you'll see Mabrey and Young at the top, same as last year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nothing scientific about the pick, went to the ESPN schedule for Dec. 2nd (as seen below), for the most part I chose the Zags for being at home only....if they do end up winning, I would look damn good with my prediction. On the flip side, if Stanford wins...I'll just say, they should have won..they're #8th ranked team in the USA. :rolleyes:

Nice, you've got you're bases covered either way.

Reaction Score
While I think that Baylor has the best frontcourt duo in the country, WCBB is truly a guard-driven game today. I understand there's been a lot of internal turmoil at WACO...can someone educate me as to who is now left to play the point for them and how that's working out?

Reaction Score
While I think that Baylor has the best frontcourt duo in the country, WCBB is truly a guard-driven game today. I understand there's been a lot of internal turmoil at WACO...can someone educate me as to who is now left to play the point for them and how that's working out?

It is their achilles heal currently. They have good guards, but just really lack at the PG. Teams are packing the paint and sagging. So we have had to rely on our guard play. Which is why you saw the South Dakota game being so close. You pack the paint and on offense you pull them all out. Jackson is currently running the point and is doing as good as she can. Some flashes of great things and sometimes tries to force it a lot. Baylor has 12 players on the roster with 6 returners and 6 newbies. It's obvious everyone is still trying to learn the systems and just get used to one another. They look good at time and rough at times.

Kim is trying to get everyone one minutes and find out which groups work and which don't. So part of the issue with that is that nobody can get or keep a rhythm because of all of the subbing. I get why she's doing it, but it still hard to watch.

The game plan for SC will be to score on the parameter. They have no where near the size to compete inside. They will need to use quickness and perimeter shooting to their advantage.

Reaction Score

It also doesn't help that Kalani is not playing like the Kalani everyone saw last year. I am hoping she gets past it, but we shall see. She is in charge of her own destiny this season. Kim is making it pretty clear if you don't wanna play like the AA that you are then you will sit and the freshmen will play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like:
Mississippi State
over Texas and Baylor over South Carolina for the same reason, a 6-7 post player that neither opponent has an answer for.

Mississippi State (6-0) - [Stats]
Miss St - has played no ranked teams to date. Only 1 major program (Virginia on the road) won 72-44. The rest of their 5 wins were at home against mid-majors. Team scoring average: 97.5 / Opponents: 44.5 McCowan averages: 18.8/11.2 with 24 blocked shots. Four other MS players are averaging double figures in scoring.

Texas (6-0) -
Five of six of the Longhorn's 6 games have been against unranked mid-majors. They beat Quinnipiac at home by 1 point 56-55. Texas' starting post is 6-4 Jatarie White (a transfer from South Carolina June 2016). Texas also features 6-5 freshman Charli Collier. I don't look for Collier to be much help against McCowan. Collier fouled out in 16 minutes against Duquesne on Nov 8. [Box score]. Duquesne's tallest player is 6-3. I like Mississippi State BIG in this one.

Baylor (6-0) -
Three games at home. Five against unranked mid-majors. They beat #23 Arizona State 65-59. Baylor's team avg scoring in 6 games is 85.7, their opponents is 52.8. Brown is avg 14.6/6.6. NaLyssa Smith is avg 13.3/7.7. Baylor has 4 players averaging double figures.

South Carolina (3-3) -
Has has played 6 games so far, and lost 3 of them. 85-61 to #9 Maryland, 70-68 to #9 Oregon St, and 90-85 to an unranked Drake. Drake's tallest player is 6-2. If They couldn't beat a "height challenged" Drake team, how are they going to handle/stop 6-7 Kalani Brown? South Carolina's tallest player is 6-3, Sr Alexis Jennings. She gives away 4 inches and probably 40+ lbs to Brown. Bad mismatch there. :eek: Baylor improves to 7-0.

Notre Dame (6-0) - [Stats]
With the top four scorers returning — seniors Arike Ogunbowale (20.8 points per game) and Jessica Shepard (15.6), junior Jackie Young (14.5) and senior Marina Mabrey (14.4) — plus the addition of the two-time All-American Brianna Turner with sophomore forward Mikayla Vaughn, who had a strong start as a freshman before getting sidelined with an ACL tear (8.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in the six games she played), there is no team in the country that bests the Fighting Irish frontcourt and backcourt.

Freshman Jordan Nixon is the most natural point guard on the team and will see extensive action, while classmate Katlyn Gilbert — both McDonald’s All-Americans — also has played point but will be an off guard her first season, per McGraw.

ND has played 2 ranked teams, #15 DePaul (won 101-77), and #9 Oregon St (won 91-81) after being down by 9 at the half 50-41. Ogunbowale leads the team in scoring averaging 25.2 / 5/6. She likes to drive the lane. She gets to the line a lot. She's 32-39 (82.1%) from the stripe. When Ogunbowale drives, she will either score, or get fouled. Rarely does she pass it out to open shooters once she begins her drive.

ND is not a prolific 3 point shooting team. They are 11-46 (23%) Ogunbowale is their main 3 point shooter. She still keeps opponents in the game by taking a lot of 3's that miss. She's shooting 8/29 behind the arc (27.6%).

UConn (5-0) [Stats]
UConn will play its first ranked opponent on Wednesday at 7:00 pm when they host #16 DePaul at the XL Center. You should already know all the details of the Huskies. No need for me to note them here. We've watched them for 5 games. We know what to expect at this point, and from who.

This game is the BIGGEST game on UConn's schedule this year.

UConn must play great defense for 40 minutes to have any chance of pulling this one out. No easy or uncontested layups. A couple of easy baskets given to ND could be the difference in what should be a close game. I expect Geno to use his bench sparingly. The reserve players with the most minutes are Mikayla Coombs at 58 and ONO with 55.

This is the game that some "learned" basketball fans (some here in the yard) and media members predict UConn will lose. This one is a tough one to call. Let's hope this game does not come down to a bad call (or a no call) by the referees.

Postscript edit - After watching the Iowa/ND game Thursday night, I'm going to amend my predicted score to I have no idea. ND looked unstoppable against Iowa. ND was getting whatever they wanted against the Hawkeyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Miss St. beats Texas by 15+.
ND has to be on their A Game. I hope ND Wins.
Baylor beats South Carolina by 15+.

Reaction Score
I like:
Mississippi State
over Texas and Baylor over South Carolina for the same reason, a 6-7 post player that neither opponent has an answer for.

Mississippi State (6-0) - [Stats] Miss St - has played no ranked teams to date. Only 1 major program (Virginia on the road) won 72-44. The rest of their 5 wins were at home against mid-majors.
Team scoring average: 97.5 / Opponents: 44.5 McCowan averages: 18.8/11.2 with 24 blocked shots. Four other MS players are averaging double figures in scoring.

Texas (6-0) - Five of six of the Longhorn's 6 games have been against unranked mid-majors. They beat Quinnipiac at home by 1 point 56-55. Texas' starting post is 6-4 Jatarie White (a transfer from South Carolina June 2016). Texas also features 6-5 freshman Charli Collier. I don't look for Collier to be much help against MCCowan. Collier fouled out in 16 minutes against Duquesne on Nov 8. [Box score]. Duquesne's tallest player is 6-3. I like Mississippi State BIG in this one.

Baylor (6-0) - All 6 games to date at home. Five against unranked mid-majors. They beat #23 Arizona State 65-59. Baylor's team avg scoring in 6 games is 85.7, their opponents is 52.8. Brown is avg 14.6/6.6. NaLyssa Smith is avg 13.3/7.7. Baylor has 4 players averaging double figures.

South Carolina has has played 6 games so far, and lost 3 of them. 85-61 to #9 Maryland, 70-68 to #9 Oregon St, and 90-85 to an unranked Drake. Drake's tallest player is 6-2. If They couldn't beat a "height challenged" Drake team, how are they going to handle/stop 6-7 Teaira McCowan? South Carolina's tallest player is 6-3, Sr Alexis Jennings. She gives away 4 inches and probably 40 lbs to McCowan. Bad mismatch there.

Notre Dame (6-0) - [Stats]
The Notre Dame women’s basketball team won the NCAA tournament last season for the first time in 17 years, but the Fighting Irish are still hungry. “We want to dominate every single game, every single play,” Notre Dame point guard Marina Mabrey said earlier this month. “With the players that we have, we should be able to do that.”

With the top four scorers returning — seniors Arike Ogunbowale (20.8 points per game) and Jessica Shepard (15.6), junior Jackie Young (14.5) and senior Marina Mabrey (14.4) — plus the addition of the two-time All-American Brianna Turner with sophomore forward Mikayla Vaughn, who had a strong start as a freshman before getting sidelined with an ACL tear (8.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in the six games she played), there is no team in the country that bests the Fighting Irish frontcourt and backcourt.

Freshman Jordan Nixon is the most natural point guard on the team and will see extensive action, while classmate Katlyn Gilbert — both McDonald’s All-Americans — also has played point but will be an off guard her first season, per McGraw.

McGraw has an embarrassment of riches after scrapping through last season with merely seven scholarship players from the beginning of January. “I have to get used to looking down the bench and realizing, ‘Hey, we have some guards!’” McGraw said with a laugh.

One of the first items on McGraw’s checklist, especially with a deeper bench, is incorporating 40 minutes of intense team defense. That will take some recalibration because of the way the Irish had to play last season, although the presence of Turner, one of the nation’s top shot blockers and inside forces, will significantly aid the defensive cause.

ND has played 2 ranked teams, # 15 DePaul (won 101-77), and # 9 Oregon St (won 91-81) after being down by 9 at the half 50-41. Ogunbowale leads the team in scoring averaging 25.2 / 5/6. She likes to drive the lane. She gets to the line a lot. She's 32-39 (82.1%) from the stripe. When Ogunbowale drives, she will either score, or get fouled. Rarely does she pass it out to open shooters once she begins her drive.

ND is not a prolific 3 point shooting team. They are 11-46 (23%) Ogunbowale is their main 3 point shooter.
She still keeps opponents in the game by taking a lot of 3's that miss. She's shooting 8/29 behind the arc (27.6%).

UConn's BIG 3 will have to be very cautious of picking up early fouls. A problem that haunted them last year against the Irish. Neither coach looks to use their bench much in this game, similar to last year's final four meeting. Look for both teams to play a lot of zone.

UConn (5-0) UConn will play its first ranked opponent on Wednesday at 7:00 pm when they host #16 DePaul at the XL Center. You should already know all the details of the Huskies. No need for me to note them here. We've watched them for 5 games. We know what to expect at this point, and from who.

A strong starting five, a not so strong bench that Geno is at times (St. Johns) a little reluctant to use. If ND can get UConn in early foul trouble, this one could get ugly real quick. The reverse is also true. If UConn can sit a starter or two for the Irish, they can put some points on the board before halftime, forcing ND to come out blazing in the 3rd quarter trying to catch up, as they did against Oregon St. Saturday.

This game is the BIGGEST game on UConn's schedule this year. They'll be playing in front of a sold out Purcell Pavilion full of screaming over zealous Irish fans that want to see UConn go down, and go down hard, in addition to a nationally televised audience (ESPN).

UConn must play great defense for 40 minutes to have any chance of pulling this one out. No easy or uncontested layups. A couple of easy baskets given to ND could be the difference in what should be a close game. The starters should ALL be prepared to play the entire game Sunday.

I expect Geno to use his bench sparingly. The reserve players with the most minutes are Mikayla Coombs at 58 and ONO with 55. It may be a bad sign if ONO is used in the first half (for any reason). If UConn can pull this one out, on the road no less, it will provide to be a HUGE boost not only to their overall confidence, but in the hearts and minds of their fans/boosters as well. We'll see. This is the game that some "learned" basketball fans (some here in the yard) and media members predict UConn will lose.

This one is a tough one to call. Let's hope this game does not come down to a bad call (or a no call) by the referees. The last time I went out on a limb, it broke (my Boston to UConn prediction), and I suffered a lot of cuts and bruises (not to mention embarrassment). Undeterred, I'm going back out there again,

UConn 69 - ND 64. Go Huskies. :)
I’m a little disappointed Scoop. I was hoping you could go into a little more detail. ;)

Reaction Score
Baylor (6-0) - All 6 games to date at home. Five against unranked mid-majors. They beat #23 Arizona State 65-59. Baylor's team avg scoring in 6 games is 85.7, their opponents is 52.8. Brown is avg 14.6/6.6. NaLyssa Smith is avg 13.3/7.7. Baylor has 4 players averaging double figures.

Minor nitpick but Baylor has only played three home games. Arizona State was technically a neutral site but it was in Arizona, and the last two were at a tournament in Vegas. Also going to South Carolina and Stanford in the next couple weeks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Minor nitpick but Baylor has only played three home games. Arizona State was technically a neutral site but it was in Arizona, and the last two were at a tournament in Vegas. Also going to South Carolina and Stanford in the next couple weeks.

Thanks, corrections made. ;)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Texas has not impressed, so Miss St wins their first test of the season. Really disappointed that Vic hasn't cranked up the schedule a notch.

Baylor has not looked at dominating as expected, but it's early and they are breaking in a new PG. South Carolina's struggles continue, but they will certainly be the best 4-loss team in the country at that point. I feel for South Carolina. Besides the Maryland loss, they were in each game, and their schedule was difficult.

Notre Dame beats UConn. The Irish are more experienced, and this UConn team needs some time to jell. Geno always has them ready, but I think there are too many factors that favor the Irish (experience, home court, tougher early schedule). If Mabrey and Shepard are not slowed by injuries, ND wins the early, less consequential game. But if they meet in the NCAA's, it will be in the FF or NC and who knows what happens then.

Reaction Score
I think ND has the beef and they will push UConn around like they did in the final four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom