Precious announcing this weekend? And Bill Self may or may not be a terrible human being | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Precious announcing this weekend? And Bill Self may or may not be a terrible human being

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Kids don't choose other schools over Kansas because other schools are paying less...
Never said that they did. Just said Self is world class scummy.

Reaction Score
Do you think this is typical across all programs? Maybe he's just worse at it because he is caught so consistently?

Upper percentile anyway.
This is seriously naive.

UConn isn't the aberration when it comes to kids not going to class and not doing their schoolwork. UConn isn't dirtier than most because we get docked schollies.

K isn't clean because the NCAA doesn't care he gets jobs and houses for players families.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is seriously naive.

UConn isn't the aberration when it comes to kids not going to class and not doing their schoolwork. UConn isn't dirtier than most because we get docked schollies.

K isn't clean because the NCAA doesn't care he gets jobs and houses for players families.
Who said any of that John?

"UConn isn't murdering kitties"

Yes, yes, I know.... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Who said any of that John?

"UConn isn't murdering kitties"

Yes, yes, I know.... :rolleyes:
I'm pointing out that copy pasta about one coach's infractions/scumbaggery doesn't make him any scummier than the other coaches. K and his disciples pretend he's as pure as the driven snow and he literally buys his players houses.

Reaction Score
You seriously think he's more dirty than other elite coaches?

I do, honestly. I don't have solid evidence, it's just my gut. I think K pulls in top talent because Duke is Duke. Incredible school, great fanbase, immediate exposure, they always win. Calipari I think is just a master BS'er. I may be in the minority but I really think Calipari is (mostly) clean. I think he sells recruits on Kentucky's tradition and their ability to produce lottery picks.

Self, on the other hand, I think is just a complete and utter fraud. I don't like him any more or less as a guy than K and Calipari, but IMO he's so much more of a scum and definitely worse of a coach.

Reaction Score
Mmm pretty much any of them?

Darnell Jackson becomes Self’s first commit to Kansas as after receiving over $5,000 in improper benefits during his recruitment. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

Departing players receive customary graduation checks from appreciative boosters. Team sets off on illegally organized barnstorming tour where they receive the gate money to supplement their income. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

In June, Kansas athletic department receives anonymous tip regarding improprieties centering around J.R. Giddens and NCAA recruiting violations.

Kansas announces that it also discovered that its basketball staff had traditionally engaged in a practice of allowing monetary payments to graduating players and other Jayhawk players who had exhausted their eligibility by boosters in violation of NCAA rules. A self-imposed two year probation is levied against their athletic department. Other sanctions are levied against women’s basketball and men’s football. Curiously, men’s basketball escapes all (self-imposed) punishment.

Darnell Jackson ruled ineligible by NCAA Eligibility Committee for 9 games for receipt of $5,000 in benefits from a Kansas booster over a three year period while being recruited by Kansas.

Reports surface regarding NCAA investigation into potential violations involving Kansas freshman Brandon Rush. The potential violations centered around Rush’s involvement with an agent and possible payment of travel expenses by NBA teams the previous summer during Rush’s workouts with the teams.

The NCAA suspends Brandon Rush after the NCAA determined that he had improperly received benefits from an agent after applying for the 2005 NBA draft.

Kansas placed on probation for major violations across multiple sports and for Lack of Institutional Control. The selection is the 5th for the KU’s men’s team, no other men’s basketball team in history has more NCAA probations. Kansas is charged with:
  • Illegal payments given to potential recruit in excess of $5,000
  • Tickets illegally given to recruits to sit behind the bench at NCAA tournament games
  • Money funneled to current student athletes through illegal barnstorming gate money
  • Illegal payments given to players after eligibility is exhausted with approval of the coaching staff through a network of alumni
  • Providing illegal transportation to recruits
  • Providing illegal clothing and other benefits to recruits
  • Providing illegal transportation to family members of recruits
  • Making special arrangements to facilitate a vehicle for family members of recruits
  • Failure to report violations
  • Failure to employ a compliance auditor
  • Negligence to provide adequate oversight
  • Violation of probationary period and deemed a Repeat Offender Lack of Institutional Control. NCAA hands out punishment of three years probation.
Brandon Rush arrested for failing to appear in court. The hearing is ultimately delayed until after the basketball season so that his on court production is unaffected.

Sherron Collins is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in an elevator. The authorities and coaching staff are made aware of the incident. A judge rules in favor of the women Sherron Collins sexually assaulted in an elevator in May of 2007, granting damagers in excess of $75,000. Despite the incident occurring roughly a year earlier, it is the first time the case is made public, allowing Collins to participate in the entire 2007-08 season without missing any playing time.

Reports surface that Darell Arthur, KU’s leading scorer in the championship game, did not legitimately graduate from high school and passed through the NCAA clearinghouse by submitting fraudulent transcripts. The school district that provided fraudulent transcripts for Darell Arthur for passing grades in classes not attended and work not done conducts and internal investigation on itself. Surprisingly, they find themselves not guilty.

It becomes apparent that key recruits the Morris twins are not going to qualify academically. Faced with the proposition of having only 1 player on the roster over 6’7, Self arranges for the Morris twins to finish up their high school classes in Lawrence.

During a ‘no contact period’ as defined by NCAA rules, Self pays a visit to the #1 unsigned recruit in the nation John Wall, and states in front of witnesses:
Self: "I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win." Demonstrating quite the bravado and respect for NCAA regulations for someone piloting a program on serious probation.

Confirmation comes in the Darell Arthur case, that his grades were artificially changed and that his ‘graduation’ from high school wasn’t legit. His high school vacates their state championship for using ineligible players. KU never sanctioned.

Markieff Morris is the driver in a two car accident. Neither himself nor the 16 year old female he is transporting are injured, but the car is registered to former NBA and ku player Scott Pollard. With only 4 days remaining on their probationary period, another potential violation is uncovered if a booster is providing improper transportation benefits to a student athlete. As the incident is being reported, Pollard himself calls up in an attempt to intimidate the host into an apology and instead engages the host in a shouting match and is informed he “is a badass.” Pollard explains he ‘sold’ the car to Morris’s teammate Tyshawn Taylor and was unaware of the accident even though he is still listed as the vehicle’s owner and claims he took the car’s license plates off at the date of the sale.

2010-11
IRS and Federal Investigators are looking into illegal practices within the KU ticket office, involving Lew Perkins. KU issues its own self report on the ticket scandal. For a period of at least 8 years approximately 4,000 to 6,000 basketball tickets per year were being improperly distributed, which equates to as many as 300 tickets per game. The KC Star exposes that in addition to his other examples of gross negligence and abuses of power Lew Perkins has been billing obscene amounts of travel expenses back to ku alumni and taxpayers due to his personal view of self importance. He charged the athletic department more than $150,000 from July 2008 to May 2010 for 22 flights on university-owned and leased planes, at times for such vital trips as visiting relatives or picking up his dog.

Reporter notes that Josh Selby drives a light blue Mercedes Benz eventually discoved to belong to Adidas representative Scottie Bowen. NCAA determines that he received $4,607.58 in improper benefits which include clothes, transportation, meals and lodging for Selby and his family. The NCAA suspends him for 9 regular season games of his freshman year, citing a rule that impermissible benefits in excess of $1,000 equates to a 30% of games suspension. The impermissible benefits total nearly $1,000 less in value than what was uncovered in Darnell Jackson’s ultimate 9 game suspension, and only about $4,200 more than what was uncovered in 2004 investigation that led to 3 years of probation and an off campus recruiting ban. Despite being cleared academically on Sept 7th, Selby elects to not attend classes until October 27th. Despite missing basically half of the first semester, he obtains a 3.0 GPA.

Sophomore point guard Elijah Johnson is arrested for neglecting to pay parking tickets. The incident stemmed from several months prior, and Johnson was falsely under the belief that societal norms did not apply to him while he still retained eligibility. He played in ku’s game the next day and will not face team discipline. "He hasn't done anything wrong," Self said of his arrested player.

Less than one month after his arrest for battery and criminal trespassing and damage, Mario Little is re-instated to the basketball team.
You deserve a like for this much writing.

Reaction Score
I do, honestly. I don't have solid evidence, it's just my gut. I think K pulls in top talent because Duke is Duke. Incredible school, great fanbase, immediate exposure, they always win. Calipari I think is just a master BS'er. I may be in the minority but I really think Calipari is (mostly) clean. I think he sells recruits on Kentucky's tradition and their ability to produce lottery picks.

Self, on the other hand, I think is just a complete and utter fraud. I don't like him any more or less as a guy than K and Calipari, but IMO he's so much more of a scum and definitely worse of a coach.

Kansas has more basketball history than any other program in the nation as well as the best home court advantage in the NCAA with some of the most rabid fans ever. They sell out every game no matter what. Even exhibitions. Self also gets kids to the NBA - KU is forth in players in the NBA 4th out of all colleges.

I am not sure what you have against Self, but he averages 30.8 wins a year. Doesn't seem like definitely a worse coach. He's not perfect, but it just seems like you have a vendetta.

Reaction Score

Well I respect your ability to be so willfully blind

Reaction Score
Kansas has more basketball history than any other program in the nation as well as the best home court advantage in the NCAA with some of the most rabid fans ever. They sell out every game no matter what. Even exhibitions. Self also gets kids to the NBA - KU is forth in players in the NBA 4th out of all colleges.

I am not sure what you have against Self, but he averages 30.8 wins a year. Doesn't seem like definitely a worse coach. He's not perfect, but it just seems like you have a vendetta.

You're not sure what I have against Self? Did you not see the write up from @CL82 ?? The guy is a complete fraud. I understand you're a fan so you are biased (as am I with UConn) but you cannot tell me Bill Self is clean. He runs one of the shadiest programs in the entire NCAA.

Reaction Score
Well I respect your ability to be so willfully blind

I clearly said I don't have any evidence and neither do you. Please show me evidence of K or Calipari cheating and I'll change my mind.

Reaction Score
I clearly said I don't have any evidence and neither do you. Please show me evidence of K or Calipari cheating and I'll change my mind.

He's had multiple Final Fours erased for cheating. But yeah, perfectly clean coach

Reaction Score

He's had multiple Final Fours erased for cheating. But yeah, perfectly clean coach

I was referring to him at Kentucky...I'm well aware of his past at Memphis.

Reaction Score

May have to use this as an exemplar when teaching my 5th graders about substantiated vs unsubstantiated claims lol

Reaction Score
May have to use this as an exemplar when teaching my 5th graders about substantiated vs unsubstantiated claims lol

Which is why I said I don’t have any solid evidence. People must be skipping over that sentence.

Reaction Score

Self, Coach K, and PayPalCal are three peas in the same pod.
None is any cleaner than the other, just that they've all perfected the art of NCAA cheating.
Obviously, cheating pays with the toothless tiger that is the Emmert. UNC blatantly cheated for decades and nothing happened. Until some of the big boys get hit hard, its cost effective to just keep on cheating.

Reaction Score
Which is why I said I don’t have any solid evidence. People must be skipping over that sentence.
I’m just messin. We’ve all got our crazy sports takes. Not saying your take is crazy, just that we all say wild things here and there.

Reaction Score

Let’s be honest... u can’t erase people’s memories of final fours, championship, or what have you. The real casual fans that don’t follow the nitty gritty can recall whether or not it happened, as do most recruits, parents, etc. in reality no one cares if your clean or not because at the end of the day you're there to make a name for yourself as a coach and to get to theNBA or play professionally if your a big time recruit.

Just my opinion.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Ask JC if the squid is clean. Calhoun wouldn't even play the guy.

Reaction Score

Cal should be in quarantine he's so dirty.

I also have very good resources on 2 events involving him that show he is in no way clean

C

Chief00

Mmm pretty much any of them?

Darnell Jackson becomes Self’s first commit to Kansas as after receiving over $5,000 in improper benefits during his recruitment. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

Departing players receive customary graduation checks from appreciative boosters. Team sets off on illegally organized barnstorming tour where they receive the gate money to supplement their income. Kurtis Townsend hired as assistant basketball coach. Townsend’s experience includes being a member of the staff at California (1993-1997) during one of the largest NCAA recruiting violation investigations in history which landed the school on 3 years probation.

In June, Kansas athletic department receives anonymous tip regarding improprieties centering around J.R. Giddens and NCAA recruiting violations.

Kansas announces that it also discovered that its basketball staff had traditionally engaged in a practice of allowing monetary payments to graduating players and other Jayhawk players who had exhausted their eligibility by boosters in violation of NCAA rules. A self-imposed two year probation is levied against their athletic department. Other sanctions are levied against women’s basketball and men’s football. Curiously, men’s basketball escapes all (self-imposed) punishment.

Darnell Jackson ruled ineligible by NCAA Eligibility Committee for 9 games for receipt of $5,000 in benefits from a Kansas booster over a three year period while being recruited by Kansas.

Reports surface regarding NCAA investigation into potential violations involving Kansas freshman Brandon Rush. The potential violations centered around Rush’s involvement with an agent and possible payment of travel expenses by NBA teams the previous summer during Rush’s workouts with the teams.

The NCAA suspends Brandon Rush after the NCAA determined that he had improperly received benefits from an agent after applying for the 2005 NBA draft.

Kansas placed on probation for major violations across multiple sports and for Lack of Institutional Control. The selection is the 5th for the KU’s men’s team, no other men’s basketball team in history has more NCAA probations. Kansas is charged with:
  • Illegal payments given to potential recruit in excess of $5,000
  • Tickets illegally given to recruits to sit behind the bench at NCAA tournament games
  • Money funneled to current student athletes through illegal barnstorming gate money
  • Illegal payments given to players after eligibility is exhausted with approval of the coaching staff through a network of alumni
  • Providing illegal transportation to recruits
  • Providing illegal clothing and other benefits to recruits
  • Providing illegal transportation to family members of recruits
  • Making special arrangements to facilitate a vehicle for family members of recruits
  • Failure to report violations
  • Failure to employ a compliance auditor
  • Negligence to provide adequate oversight
  • Violation of probationary period and deemed a Repeat Offender Lack of Institutional Control. NCAA hands out punishment of three years probation.
Brandon Rush arrested for failing to appear in court. The hearing is ultimately delayed until after the basketball season so that his on court production is unaffected.

Sherron Collins is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in an elevator. The authorities and coaching staff are made aware of the incident. A judge rules in favor of the women Sherron Collins sexually assaulted in an elevator in May of 2007, granting damagers in excess of $75,000. Despite the incident occurring roughly a year earlier, it is the first time the case is made public, allowing Collins to participate in the entire 2007-08 season without missing any playing time.

Reports surface that Darell Arthur, KU’s leading scorer in the championship game, did not legitimately graduate from high school and passed through the NCAA clearinghouse by submitting fraudulent transcripts. The school district that provided fraudulent transcripts for Darell Arthur for passing grades in classes not attended and work not done conducts and internal investigation on itself. Surprisingly, they find themselves not guilty.

It becomes apparent that key recruits the Morris twins are not going to qualify academically. Faced with the proposition of having only 1 player on the roster over 6’7, Self arranges for the Morris twins to finish up their high school classes in Lawrence.

During a ‘no contact period’ as defined by NCAA rules, Self pays a visit to the #1 unsigned recruit in the nation John Wall, and states in front of witnesses:
Self: "I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win." Demonstrating quite the bravado and respect for NCAA regulations for someone piloting a program on serious probation.

Confirmation comes in the Darell Arthur case, that his grades were artificially changed and that his ‘graduation’ from high school wasn’t legit. His high school vacates their state championship for using ineligible players. KU never sanctioned.

Markieff Morris is the driver in a two car accident. Neither himself nor the 16 year old female he is transporting are injured, but the car is registered to former NBA and ku player Scott Pollard. With only 4 days remaining on their probationary period, another potential violation is uncovered if a booster is providing improper transportation benefits to a student athlete. As the incident is being reported, Pollard himself calls up in an attempt to intimidate the host into an apology and instead engages the host in a shouting match and is informed he “is a badass.” Pollard explains he ‘sold’ the car to Morris’s teammate Tyshawn Taylor and was unaware of the accident even though he is still listed as the vehicle’s owner and claims he took the car’s license plates off at the date of the sale.

2010-11
IRS and Federal Investigators are looking into illegal practices within the KU ticket office, involving Lew Perkins. KU issues its own self report on the ticket scandal. For a period of at least 8 years approximately 4,000 to 6,000 basketball tickets per year were being improperly distributed, which equates to as many as 300 tickets per game. The KC Star exposes that in addition to his other examples of gross negligence and abuses of power Lew Perkins has been billing obscene amounts of travel expenses back to ku alumni and taxpayers due to his personal view of self importance. He charged the athletic department more than $150,000 from July 2008 to May 2010 for 22 flights on university-owned and leased planes, at times for such vital trips as visiting relatives or picking up his dog.

Reporter notes that Josh Selby drives a light blue Mercedes Benz eventually discoved to belong to Adidas representative Scottie Bowen. NCAA determines that he received $4,607.58 in improper benefits which include clothes, transportation, meals and lodging for Selby and his family. The NCAA suspends him for 9 regular season games of his freshman year, citing a rule that impermissible benefits in excess of $1,000 equates to a 30% of games suspension. The impermissible benefits total nearly $1,000 less in value than what was uncovered in Darnell Jackson’s ultimate 9 game suspension, and only about $4,200 more than what was uncovered in 2004 investigation that led to 3 years of probation and an off campus recruiting ban. Despite being cleared academically on Sept 7th, Selby elects to not attend classes until October 27th. Despite missing basically half of the first semester, he obtains a 3.0 GPA.

Sophomore point guard Elijah Johnson is arrested for neglecting to pay parking tickets. The incident stemmed from several months prior, and Johnson was falsely under the belief that societal norms did not apply to him while he still retained eligibility. He played in ku’s game the next day and will not face team discipline. "He hasn't done anything wrong," Self said of his arrested player.

Less than one month after his arrest for battery and criminal trespassing and damage, Mario Little is re-instated to the basketball team.
Lew knew how to live.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom