Precious announcing this weekend? And Bill Self may or may not be a terrible human being | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Precious announcing this weekend? And Bill Self may or may not be a terrible human being

Reaction Score
I get keeping local studs with his AAU connects but Penny has somehow in a matter of weeks cleared out his entire roster and brought in studs from all around the country. No worries about playing time for kids joining a 8 man class full of studs.

When it comes to our recruiting all we ever here is longterm relationships/putting in the time and recruits being scared off by lack of available playing time because of all our 3 and 4 stars. Penny just waves his magic wand, must be nice.

Reaction Score
I get keeping local studs with his AAU connects but Penny has somehow in a matter of weeks cleared out his entire roster and brought in studs from all around the country. No worries about playing time for kids joining a 8 man class full of studs.

When it comes to our recruiting all we ever here is longterm relationships/putting in the time and recruits being scared off by lack of available playing time because of all our 3 and 4 stars. Penny just waves his magic wand, must be nice.
Scared off or "lured" away? Truth is, there are many reasons why a school like Memphis can have sustained success in recruiting: a) coach with a strong shoe company relationship b) easy admissions c) administration that gladly looks the "other" way. Does UConn have any of that?

Reaction Score
Memphis is going to be a suped up AAU team next season. They aren’t guaranteed success. Penny better win or all of this momentum is going to come swinging back the other way. Give me a Hurley’s approach any day. He taking the long term approach(singles and doubles), he’s taking contact swings. Penny is swinging for the fences. He better hit the ball.....

Reaction Score
Yup. Plus Penny's son is on scholarship right now, but since he gets free tuition for being an employee's kid, Penny can move him to walk-on status.

Not sure that's the case after he's been a scholarship player. But I don't know that for a fact.

Reaction Score
Memphis is going to be a suped up AAU team next season. They aren’t guaranteed success. Penny better win or all of this momentum is going to come swinging back the other way. Give me a Hurley’s approach any day. He taking the long term approach(singles and doubles), he’s taking contact swings. Penny is swinging for the fences. He better hit the ball.....
Last season, Duke started 3 of the projected NBA drafts top 10 picks and didn't make the Final Four. How are things in Raleigh? Memphis will be fine as long as Penny remains coach and his program remains a "priority" destination.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Last season, Duke started 3 of the projected NBA drafts top 10 picks and didn't make the Final Four. How are things in Raleigh? Memphis will be fine as long as Penny remains coach and his program remains a "priority" destination.

I don't like comparing the greatness of Duke & Coach K to that of Memphis and Penny but your point is not moot.

Reaction Score
Coach K has shown he can coach at an elite level. If penny cannot coach the talent he brings in, things will fall apart very quickly at a place like Memphis

Reaction Score
Coach K has shown he can coach at an elite level. If penny cannot coach the talent he brings in, things will fall apart very quickly at a place like Memphis
Not disagreeing about Coach K. The similarities between Duke and Memphis solely lay in the past few recruiting classes for Duke and this one for Memphis. Neither have anything to do with X's and O's. Penny's future success won't either.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing about Coach K. The similarities between Duke and Memphis solely lay in the past few recruiting classes for Duke and this one for Memphis. Neither have anything to do with X's and O's. Penny's future success won't either.
I disagree. If Memphis doesn’t win all of the “exposure” will be negative. He has to win. Not necessarily a championship. But they better be at minimum a top 20 team all season

pj

Reaction Score
Not sure that's the case after he's been a scholarship player. But I don't know that for a fact.

If he was recruited in high school then he has to be on scholarship as a freshman, but scholarships are (or used to be) year to year, and at some point players can move from scholarship to off scholarship. Not sure of the details or whether the NCAA has been altering rules, or if Memphis has its own policy, but odds are he can take the scholarship from his son and still have him play.

Reaction Score
Chief just wants to do a brief shoutout to all my good friends in the Bronx. Sorry I have to miss but Fam graduation in Providence comes first.

Precious update: Achiuwa to announce Saturday at noon at the Old Canteen on Federal Hill.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is going to be a tough gig for a second year coach. How is going to get all these guys enough shots?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Imagine thinking theres any legitment reason for a kid to go to Memphis over North Carolina or Kansas. Only the kids penny coached I understand, everyone else is getting something unde the table. Hasn't this FBI investigation taught yall anything?

Reaction Score
Ha, couldn’t agree more. Question for recruiting gurus on here...

Has UConn ever signed a recruit who announced on national tv with 3 hats in front of him??

Not a single recruit comes to mind
I say this all the time. It seems like whenever a top recruit sets a date for an announcement and turns it into a big show, we are never selected. It just seems like whenever a recruit commits to UConn, its common knowledge that we are the favorite and its almost expected.

Reaction Score

The difference is that 1) Memphis is not Duke and Penny is not Coach K. And Penny's class is GOOD, but not great. 2) No one they've brought in is a surefire draft pick except for Wiseman. Most of these guys looks like 3 year players. Could be great for the program long-term if Penny can keep these kids engaged through adversity.

And I really don't think Precious will be a major contributor year 1--notice that no draft services have him listed.

Reaction Score
I say this all the time. It seems like whenever a top recruit sets a date for an announcement and turns it into a big show, we are never selected. It just seems like whenever a recruit commits to UConn, its common knowledge that we are the favorite and its almost expected.

Maybe those are the kids we want in the long run. The one's that come to the program for the right reasons and aren't looking for that all about me exposure. I want PA as much as anyone but honestly, I think its a 50/50 toss up on us being better with him or without him next year. Lets get one more high level guy and go to work. Good luck to PA and we'll see you next year. Sid the kid get your a** in the gym I'm looking forward to you sending a few of his shots back.

Reaction Score
And I really don't think Precious will be a major contributor year 1--notice that no draft services have him listed.
I agree. Don't mean this to sound like sour grapes but from reading things and seeing him on TV a couple times it seems like he's more potential than actual production. Believe me, I'd love to have him at UConn and develop his skills but if he's a one and done I'm not sure how much he helps on the court. But you definitely need to recruit talent like this so it was worth chasing him.

The 247 Sports Evaluation:
One of the top combo forwards in the 2019 class. As an athlete has traits of a NBA player. Good strength, quality height for position and tremendous leaping ability. Not known for consistency of production, however. But has had flashes of brilliance. More of a finisher than a creator. Overall skill level could use improvement, but there is great upside due to his athleticism. Expectations to continue to develop skill-wise make him a potential lottery pick. Regardless, first-rounder simply based on athleticism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cannot wait for Hurley and co. to play Memphis. He will have them pumped up.

We need to be Bigger. Faster. Stronger.
We’re going to have experience over them. Guys like rique, CV, Polley, Carlton, etc have to play like upper class men. Combine that with the chip that Gould be on all of their shoulders it should make a good game. A UConn/Memphis or Hurley/Penny rivalry would do wonders for the AAC

Reaction Score
We’re going to have experience over them. Guys like rique, CV, Polley, Carlton, etc have to play like upper class men. Combine that with the chip that Gould be on all of their shoulders it should make a good game. A UConn/Memphis or Hurley/Penny rivalry would do wonders for the AAC

They will enter the season with high expectations. If we bust them in their mouths on national tv in front of some highly sought after recruits then we are most certainly be in a good spot.

Hurley loves showcasing UConn to recruits during big games. The fact that we can now showcase during conference play is outstanding.

Reaction Score
Hurley/Penny has all the ingredients for a bulletin board material rivalry. Snarky comments, in game tension, etc. I can see Penny getting annoyed at Hurley's sideline antics and not keeping his mouth shut about it. I'm all for this rivalry

Reaction Score
Perhaps Memphis being loaded with talent may work in our favor. Precious obviously has his eyes on the NBA. He is most likely a one and done. He has been biding his time, I think, so as to see who he will be competing with for playing time. With us it will be play right away. He has been interested in us , that is a fact. We have good coaches and great facilities. Hurley has been keeping one scholorship open for a reason. I am going to remain optimistic. I think we still have a chance with him. We’ll find out on Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom