Precious Achiuwa generic update | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Precious Achiuwa generic update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand your reasoning, even though I think Precious to Memphis is not actually less bad. Others have had much stronger, less nuanced positions than you.

To ToolzieFan and all others who think that Precious going to Memphis is actually the worst of all scenarios:

Here is the explanation as to why it is "less bad" if he goes to Memphis as opposed to any of his other options, which are all non-AAC... (and honestly, I do not understand how you do not get this concept if you are old enough to remember what it was like when we first rose up out of the depths of mediocrity in the late 1980's to take over as best team in the Big East).

An integral part of our men's basketball program becoming more relevant again is we need someone in this crappy conference to become a perennial Top 10 team... one capable of getting to Final 4's and winning National Titles. Do I want that to be us? Of course!

But do I also want one (if not several) of our conference foes to join us, or even help to pull us along to get there? Yes. THAT is how games on the schedule become appointment viewing again... how Gampel/XL wakes up and gets sold out and rocking again. Not sure how some of you do not understand this.

THAT is what made the climb to the top of the Big East back in the day so damn satisfying... and thrilling. It wasn't just getting there, it was the teams, top players and legendary coaches we had to conquer to get there. The Big East wasn't the best basketball conference ever because we got to the top of it and became the best school in the conference over the last 20 years of its existence - it was the best because of the collective - Georgetown and John Thompson; Syracuse and Jim Boeheim; St. John's and Louie Carnesecca; Villanova and Rollie Massimino; and of course US and Jim Calhoun.

A big part of what has sucked about the AAC is that there has been no one for us to hate (yeah, Mick Cronin was fun to pick on and dislike, and Cincy has owned us the last few years, but his/their continued lack of success in the NCAA Tournament dimmed both his rep, and our hatred for him/them).

That is why I was for Wichita State joining the conference, at least as long as Gregg Marshall is there. We desperately need conference opponents we can dislike, and at the same time are appointment viewing when we play them.

And that is why Precious going to Memphis, while of course crappy compared to him coming to UConn, is better than him going to UNC, Kansas, or any other non-AAC school. Penny Hardaway building a consnstent powerhouse at Memphis gives us something we have not had in wayyy too long - a conference foe and coach to really hate... and really look forward to playing twice (at least) each and every year.

Reaction Score
To ToolzieFan and all others who think that Precious going to Memphis is actually the worst of all scenarios:

Here is the explanation as to why it is "less bad" if he goes to Memphis as opposed to any of his other options, which are all non-AAC... (and honestly, I do not understand how you do not get this concept if you are old enough to remember what it was like when we first rose up out of the depths of mediocrity in the late 1980's to take over as best team in the Big East).

An integral part of our men's basketball program becoming more relevant again is we need someone in this crappy conference to become a perennial Top 10 team... one capable of getting to Final 4's and winning National Titles. Do I want that to be us? Of course!

But do I also want one (if not several) of our conference foes to join us, or even help to pull us along to get there? Yes. THAT is how games on the schedule become appointment viewing again... how Gampel/XL wakes up and gets sold out and rocking again. Not sure how some of you do not understand this.

THAT is what made the climb to the top of the Big East back in the day so damn satisfying... and thrilling. It wasn't just getting there, it was the teams, top players and legendary coaches we had to conquer to get there. The Big East wasn't the best basketball conference ever because we got to the top of it and became the best school in the conference over the last 20 years of its existence - it was the best because of the collective - Georgetown and John Thompson; Syracuse and Jim Boeheim; St. John's and Louie Carnesecca; Villanova and Rollie Massimino; and of course US and Jim Calhoun.

A big part of what has sucked about the AAC is that there has been no one for us to hate (yeah, Mick Cronin was fun to pick on and dislike, and Cincy has owned us the last few years, but his/their continued lack of success in the NCAA Tournament dimmed both his rep, and our hatred for him/them).

That is why I was for Wichita State joining the conference, at least as long as Gregg Marshall is there. We desperately need conference opponents we can dislike, and at the same time are appointment viewing when we play them.

And that is why Precious going to Memphis, while of course crappy compared to him coming to UConn, is better than him going to UNC, Kansas, or any other non-AAC school. Penny Hardaway building a consnstent powerhouse at Memphis gives us something we have not had in wayyy too long - a conference foe and coach to really hate... and really look forward to playing twice (at least) each and every year.

I think the concern is they will be top ten before us.

Reaction Score
I think the concern is they will be top ten before us.

If he doesn’t come here I would rather have him at Memphis its great for the conference.

That being said... what concerns me is the rise of Penny & Memphis. Penny isn’t going anywhere. What’s concerning is Memphis getting picked up during the next round of realignment and UConn leveling out. Until the AAC shows they are willing to invest in the northeast region of the conference, I want out. Memphis, just like everyone else, is licking their chops to a big conference move. If football and basketball keep their prestige trajectory facing upward, they could get picked. Our conference needs Precious, but I think everyone can agree UConn needs Precious more than Memphis due to where we stand in athletics at this moment in time. I trust our trajectory with Hurley but Precious would speed things up.

Hoping we get an OV soon.

Reaction Score
What’s concerning is Memphis getting picked up during the next round of realignment and UConn leveling out. Until the AAC shows they are willing to invest in the northeast region of the conference, I want out. Memphis, just like everyone else, is licking their chops to a big conference move. If football and basketball keep their prestige trajectory facing upward, they could get picked.
Memphis is bottom of the barrel with regards to expansion. There's about a 5% chance they get picked before us.

Reaction Score
Memphis is bottom of the barrel with regards to expansion. There's about a 5% chance they get picked before us.

Why? What makes you think this with their great football and basketball programs? I honestly don’t understand. If you put football and basketball programs side by side, location, etc... they are right up there with us in terms of basketball but are ways ahead in football.

Reaction Score
Memphis Football was UConn Football just 5 years ago. The next potential conference realignment won't happen until the mid 2020's. A lot can happen between now and then. We have time to improve athletically, but Memphis doesn't have time to improve academically/institutionally.

Reaction Score
Says who?
Why? What makes you think this with their great football and basketball programs? I honestly don’t understand. If you put football and basketball programs side by side, location, etc... they are right up there with us in terms of basketball but are ways ahead in football.
If you don't remember what just happened 3 years ago, you're crazy.

Their only chance is the B12. That's it. And the B12 clearly doesn't want them.

Reaction Score
Here's a reminder:

Memphis Being Cut From Consideration Signals Big 12 Expansion May Not Happen

They were behind Colorado State and Tulane.

In terms of programs that might get poached, Memphis is behind UConn & Cincy, the combo of USF and UCF, and Houston (though Houston is as troubled as Memphis, but for different reasons.

3 years ago and they haven’t underperformed... that’s all I’m saying. They went from CUSA to American. Upward trajectory can have an affect. That’s why Louisville got plucked to the big east and sits pretty in the ACC, same reason why we plucked WSU. I’m not saying I’m wrong but I’m not saying you are either. Neither of us can predict the future.

My bad for turning this off topic.

Reaction Score
3 years ago and they haven’t underperformed... that’s all I’m saying. They went from CUSA to American. Upward trajectory can have an affect. That’s why Louisville got plucked to the big east and sits pretty in the ACC, same reason why we plucked WSU. I’m not saying I’m wrong but I’m not saying you are either. Neither of us can predict the future.

My bad for turning this off topic.
The AAC needed a team because it had just lost Syracuse/West Virginia/Pitt. They were a backfill, not a pre-emptive move.

Louisville had a much better tradition in terms of basketball and football than Memphis did. And Wichita got an invite to a conference desperate for validation.

The P5 conferences aren't going to have any of those problems.

Reaction Score
How many teams came from CUSA and got picked ahead of us? It is all about timing and how good your football team is when the music stops.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Taking his visit to Memphis today. Does anyone know how many scholarships Memphis has open?

Reaction Score
Memphis now has three scholarships available. We recently had two transfers and one player who walked on last year from UAB and doesn't seem to be getting one this year. It looks like we're neck-and-neck with LSU for Trendon Watford, -- (looking at crystal balls at 247) we lead on Lester Quinonlas, RJ Hampton (2020) who looks to reclassify, and of course Precious. if Penny and staff just get two of these guys I'll be extremely happy with what we already have coming in.

Reaction Score

They are a bad school and no one wants to be associated with them.

It really is that simple.

Louisville is the exception not the rule when it comes to athletics overcoming community college academics.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Precious to Memphis wouldn’t be at all surprising. He’s been shady this whole time, and Memphis is the epitome of shady. If you think Penny’s not finding a way to line his pockets, you’re wrong. I get that Penny was a big AAU coach, but there’s no way there isn’t huge money financing what’s happening there. Precious was considering WKU for cripes sake...we know what he was after

Reaction Score
If he doesn’t come here I would rather have him at Memphis its great for the conference.

That being said... what concerns me is the rise of Penny & Memphis. Penny isn’t going anywhere. What’s concerning is Memphis getting picked up during the next round of realignment and UConn leveling out. Until the AAC shows they are willing to invest in the northeast region of the conference, I want out. Memphis, just like everyone else, is licking their chops to a big conference move. If football and basketball keep their prestige trajectory facing upward, they could get picked. Our conference needs Precious, but I think everyone can agree UConn needs Precious more than Memphis due to where we stand in athletics at this moment in time. I trust our trajectory with Hurley but Precious would speed things up.

Hoping we get an OV soon.
Memphis not getting picked b4 Houston, UCF or possibly Cincinnati if they stay relevant

Reaction Score
Cole Anthony officially to UNC. Expected, but certainly doesn’t help with Precious.

Hopefully Precious doesn’t want to take fake classes with Cole too bad.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Precious to Memphis wouldn’t be at all surprising. He’s been shady this whole time, and Memphis is the epitome of shady. If you think Penny’s not finding a way to line his pockets, you’re wrong. I get that Penny was a big AAU coach, but there’s no way there isn’t huge money financing what’s happening there. Precious was considering WKU for cripes sake...we know what he was after

Lets not be all high and mighty pretend every school doesn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom