Precious Achiuwa generic update | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Precious Achiuwa generic update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The miss on Kofi is really where this changed. I follow them both on social media, have for a long time, and they seem to be close. I think if we had gotten Kofi we end up with both.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The miss on Kofi is really where this changed. I follow them both on social media, have for a long time, and they seem to be close. I think if we had gotten Kofi we end up with both.
Why wouldn't PA take a visit to Illinois if they are that close? Some here think there are open suitcases out there.

Reaction Score
I know I'm in the minority, but I agree with my doppleganger, @HuskyHawk. If it's not UConn, I hope he chooses Kansas.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
gampelcrazies said:
Our chance was 8 years ago. Clearly no one wants us too
[U]tzznandrew[/U]
Don't be daft. We may not get out of the AAC, but what was Rutgers' basketball/football record when they were taken?

Daft?
Nobody wanted us 8 years ago - is very true
And it may be a stronger sentiment right now
Not saying it is justified or true but that's my feeling
UConn rankles a lot of people the wrong way for the simple reason that they find it insulting to their infantile intuition that a state school from a small state in a small market (not regionally small) can produce national success on some consistent basis. UConn success in the old BE really turned some people off/against UConn.

Reaction Score
gampelcrazies said:
[U]tzznandrew[/U]
Don't be daft. We may not get out of the AAC, but what was Rutgers' basketball/football record when they were taken?

Daft?
UConn rankles a lot of people the wrong way for the simple reason that they find it insulting to their infantile intuition that a state school from a small state in a small market (not regionally small) can produce national success on some consistent basis. UConn success in the old BE really turned some people off/against UConn.

It's not a small market though. 3.6m people is midrange, not small.

And there are no pro teams or other college teams, unlike in similar states.

I also don't think UConn rankles people. It was BC that didn't want us, and to a degree Syracuse.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
gampelcrazies said:
[U]tzznandrew[/U]

Daft?

I think that view involves some Husky Blue colored glasses. UConn was wildly popular nationally precisely because we were an "underdog" in the Big East.

It we look at UConn objectively.
1. Enrollment is lower than most state schools
2. Our financial support from alumni and fans is awful. Bottom of the barrel. Endowment stinks
3. Out fan support is fickle. Even when basketball has been good our fan support is poor compared to many others. For football it's downright awful.
4. We lack the culture and history commonly associated with large state flagships. We didn't play football, still don't play it on campus and our widespread non-alumni local support is often based on women's basketball of all things.

We aren't like most P5 state schools in that respect. What I think we have, and always had, is more potential than any other non P5. Houston, Cinci, UCF are closer now than we are. So is BYU. But our ceiling is higher. I suppose I understand why they don't want to gamble that we'll achieve it.

Reaction Score
I think that view involves some Husky Blue colored glasses. UConn was wildly popular nationally precisely because we were an "underdog" in the Big East.

It we look at UConn objectively.
1. Enrollment is lower than most state schools
2. Our financial support from alumni and fans is awful. Bottom of the barrel. Endowment stinks
3. Out fan support is fickle. Even when basketball has been good our fan support is poor compared to many others. For football it's downright awful.
4. We lack the culture and history commonly associated with large state flagships. We didn't play football, still don't play it on campus and our widespread non-alumni local support is often based on women's basketball of all things.

We aren't like most P5 state schools in that respect. What I think we have, and always had, is more potential than any other non P5. Houston, Cinci, UCF are closer now than we are. So is BYU. But our ceiling is higher. I suppose I understand why they don't want to gamble that we'll achieve it.

I agree with everything you say, except for those schools being closer than we are to “P5 type schools.”

Despite all the negatives that you listed, we are still a highly regarded, state flagship school with a good fanbase.

Those other schools, aside from BYU, are still commuter schools with little to no culture. I can assure that almost no one of consequence in Big 12 country, or any other P5 conference, actually considers Houston, Memphis, UCF or UC as viable future members.

Reaction Score
Via Bossi:
Having already visited Kansas and North Carolina officially, Achiuwa began an official visit to Memphis on Monday. There’s always the chance he could elect to take another visit or two as others like Connecticut and Georgia are involved and surely Mike Anderson has at least reached out since taking the St. John’s job last week. But, I have a hard time seeing anybody knocking out the Heels, Jayhawks or Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom