1) ACC
2) Big East
3) Big 12
4) Big Ten
5) SEC
6) AAC
7) PAC
8) A-10

Like the AAC there's no football money, but the Big East would be better for your hoops!

No way is the A-10 the 8th best conference. They are a hot garbage basketball league getting worse and worse. It will be apparent as they renegotiate their new TV contract. Its early, I know, but they are the 21st rated RPI conference right now and the MAC is 9th.

Reaction Score
yep...the preseason AP is out...

And we see, surprise, Kansas, Kentucky, and Duke in the top 4...samo, samo.

The Big East's Villanova gets some respect....as does Gonzaga from the West Coast Comference and Nevada from the Mountain West....

AAC...
....#....not yet

ACC...
....#4 Duke
....#5 Virginia
....#8 UNC
....#15 VT
....#16 Syracuse
....#17 FSU
....#22 Clemson

Big East...
....#9 Villanova

Big Ten...
....#10 Michigan St.
....#19 Michigan
....#24 Purdue

Big 12...
....#1 Kansas
....#13 WVU
....#20 TCU

PAC 12...
....#14 Oregon
....#21 UCLA
....#25 Washington

SEC...
....#2 Kentucky
....#6 Tennessee
....#11 Auburn
....#18 Mississippi St.
....#23 LSU

MAC...
…#22 Buffalo

Reaction Score
I think the missed story in CR is that "Rivalries drive interest and value". Rivalries are often formed with history, shared regions, and excellence. Of the teams that cycled in and out of the Big East, UConn and Cuse are missed most.

This is the point, really - that i've been trying to make. And it's really the fundamental problem with the American as a conference, brand, etc.

The reason the Big East (original) was successful was because:

-It was 8 teams with a clearly defined purpose and interest in seeing each other be successful
-It had schools in huge media markets
-It had schools in insanely fertile recruiting areas where they could actually become number 1, not just pick up scraps off big program's tables
-And lucked into ESPN at almost the exact moment it took off, allowing them to build a real brand identity that was organically ordained by fans.

That allowed recruiting to take off, brands to get established, rivalries to form.. it was compelling TV. Everyone was part of everyone else's story.

The American, conversely

-Is made up entirely of teams who are doing everything they can to leave the conference as soon as possible
-Has some teams in huge media markets and some in no-man's land that share practically nothing in common culturally or historically
-Most of which are located in either barren recruiting grounds or the fertile ones they're in - have other, better options
-Has had zero luck whatsoever with TV and as a result, hasn't been able to build a brand identity or have one built for them by fans.

UConn football isn't going to catch on because it's a bad program, in a bad recruiting area that hasn't ever demonstrated a sustained, ongoing love of college football - ever and completely lacks the enthusiasm and structure at the youth level to churn talent. In the few cases that there are to get good - there are two other places (Syracuse and BC... arguably Rutgers) - that are better places to go play medicore D1 football and get to play in a couple of cool stadiums.

It's the same reason ECU isn't going to get better in basketball.

On the flip side of things, the conference is doing a number of really good things - UCF is becoming a brand name. Memphis, USF, Cincinnati - they're good football programs, too. Navy for football only and Wichita for hoops only strengthen things a bit. In hoops you have a whole bevvy of teams with great coaches who are building up programs. Houston is getting better. UCF is getting better. Memphis and Uconn are bouncing back. Tulsa and Temple are fine as a 'floor' so to speak. But in spite of that, everyone's attendance is down, there's not a lot of interest in TV rights and the conference's identity is a P5 Refugee camp, basically. Just winning and doing the right things isn't going to be the answer.

I just don't know how anyone could say 'the future of this conference is bright' when you don't know who will even be IN the conference in five years, let alone finding anyone who's really excited to be here. To me, that's crazy. We have all these great coaches, emerging powers, etc - and people STILL want out. It should tell you something.

Meanwhile the Big East has programs that are down (St Johns, Georgetown) - but also brand name programs like Villanova, Providence, etc. And programs that are emerging powers - Xavier, Butler, etc. Marquette keeps plugging along, Seton Hall is the BE's Tulsa.. it is what it is.

But what they lack in success, they make up for in tradition, history and an actual shared interest. Everyone's there to make basketball work and be really great. And so far, they've succeeded. They have the best program in the country there, right now and are regularly in the top-3 hoops conferences every year. Their member schools aren't going anywhere willfully. Conversely, the American hasn't been the top-3 in anything and the whole group are rats on a ship. In the Big East, there's a clear, shared vision. And no level of national success has been able to topple that so far.

So putting them on close to or equal footing is living in fantasy land. I'd much, much, much rather be in the Big East for hoops - arguably everything else, too - but i'm willing to see one more round of TV rights. But if it's not a good deal, adios. Put me in the Big East.

Reaction Score
This is the point, really - that i've been trying to make. And it's really the fundamental problem with the American as a conference, brand, etc.

The reason the Big East (original) was successful was because:

-It was 8 teams with a clearly defined purpose and interest in seeing each other be successful
-It had schools in huge media markets
-It had schools in insanely fertile recruiting areas where they could actually become number 1, not just pick up scraps off big program's tables
-And lucked into ESPN at almost the exact moment it took off, allowing them to build a real brand identity that was organically ordained by fans.

That allowed recruiting to take off, brands to get established, rivalries to form.. it was compelling TV. Everyone was part of everyone else's story.

The American, conversely

-Is made up entirely of teams who are doing everything they can to leave the conference as soon as possible
-Has some teams in huge media markets and some in no-man's land that share practically nothing in common culturally or historically
-Most of which are located in either barren recruiting grounds or the fertile ones they're in - have other, better options
-Has had zero luck whatsoever with TV and as a result, hasn't been able to build a brand identity or have one built for them by fans.

UConn football isn't going to catch on because it's a bad program, in a bad recruiting area that hasn't ever demonstrated a sustained, ongoing love of college football - ever and completely lacks the enthusiasm and structure at the youth level to churn talent. In the few cases that there are to get good - there are two other places (Syracuse and BC... arguably Rutgers) - that are better places to go play medicore D1 football and get to play in a couple of cool stadiums.

It's the same reason ECU isn't going to get better in basketball.

On the flip side of things, the conference is doing a number of really good things - UCF is becoming a brand name. Memphis, USF, Cincinnati - they're good football programs, too. Navy for football only and Wichita for hoops only strengthen things a bit. In hoops you have a whole bevvy of teams with great coaches who are building up programs. Houston is getting better. UCF is getting better. Memphis and Uconn are bouncing back. Tulsa and Temple are fine as a 'floor' so to speak. But in spite of that, everyone's attendance is down, there's not a lot of interest in TV rights and the conference's identity is a P5 Refugee camp, basically. Just winning and doing the right things isn't going to be the answer.

I just don't know how anyone could say 'the future of this conference is bright' when you don't know who will even be IN the conference in five years, let alone finding anyone who's really excited to be here. To me, that's crazy. We have all these great coaches, emerging powers, etc - and people STILL want out. It should tell you something.

Meanwhile the Big East has programs that are down (St Johns, Georgetown) - but also brand name programs like Villanova, Providence, etc. And programs that are emerging powers - Xavier, Butler, etc. Marquette keeps plugging along, Seton Hall is the BE's Tulsa.. it is what it is.

But what they lack in success, they make up for in tradition, history and an actual shared interest. Everyone's there to make basketball work and be really great. And so far, they've succeeded. They have the best program in the country there, right now and are regularly in the top-3 hoops conferences every year. Their member schools aren't going anywhere willfully. Conversely, the American hasn't been the top-3 in anything and the whole group are rats on a ship. In the Big East, there's a clear, shared vision. And no level of national success has been able to topple that so far.

So putting them on close to or equal footing is living in fantasy land. I'd much, much, much rather be in the Big East for hoops - arguably everything else, too - but i'm willing to see one more round of TV rights. But if it's not a good deal, adios. Put me in the Big East.
Nailed it. Aresco was quoted last winter of expecting “multiples” of existing AAC media deal. The next 4-5 years will be especially telling once some of these major grant of rights agreements expire (B1G & Big 12). If we’re still on the outside looking in at that point, we may see a pivot. Don’t forget, the (New) Big East will soon be negotiating their new deal and needs a reason to grow their revenue + hold down rights to MSG—UConn does both of those things.

Reaction Score
We're a no brainer for the Big East. They know that, we know it - but reality is that I think there's a lot more at play here. Politicians have put a lot of capital into the Rent, the idea of D1 football, all of it. If we pull the plug, it's one of the single most wasteful expeditions in state history on a variety of fronts that's been propped up by student fees and, well.. the whole thing is going to be seen as the mess that it is, but will also get blown out of proportion and that's going to deeply hurt the University from a public relations standpoint. There's a real price to pay outside of just sports, etc.

But you also can't keep doing something that's not only NOT working, but really doesn't have a shot of working anymore. It's the definition of the rock and the hard place.

Even w/ regards to TV negotiations, I mean... okay. So we light more money on fire for a few more years, but what if something happens before then and say.. Cincinnati and Memphis BOTH bail because the Big XII gets desperate out of nowhere and adds them? Or the SEC says 'you know what, heck with the TV stuff - hey UCF, will you come on board at a discount for two years before we do this whole thing and cut you in even?" I know it sounds sillly - but this is serious stuff. And all of it could happen. Even waiting until TV rights negotiations is risky. And that's assuming we get a good cut, that the contract is worthwhile - all of it.

And with Uconn football being THIS BAD - I mean it just puts it over the top for me. What are we really doing this for at this point? It's just crazy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Hey MACtion what hot exciting football game is on this Tuesday night?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the Big East is sustainable. The sum is greater than its individual parts. Those programs as long as they stick together are going to compete really well in basketball and they have a loyal following from alumni/casual fans in the NE region. They have the Gavitt games and now the Big 12 games to power up their schedule prior to conference play

I remember when the 2013 breakup was first was announced... Everyone thought that five years into the future the Big East would irrelevant and dead. But so far it has turned out that they arguably more alive and strong than ever before. That league is really solid and drawing a lot of attention every time the Big East Tournament rolls around.
This year looks like it might be the beginning, of a fast descent for the Fake Big East. If Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns had voted the right way in letting Penn St in, and started a football division. Could have had an East Coast conference of Independents. Miami, Florida St, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Penn St, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse, adding Cincinnati, and Louisville. Would have had the best of both worlds, and Notre Dame probably would have taken an ACC type deal to join.

Reaction Score
Interesting comments from the Vanderbilt coaching search. Some positive waves for the AAC.

"Unlike Oats’ Bulls, Cronin’s Cincinnati Bearcats were eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the first round. Cronin could be fair game, but it may take even more to convince the Bearcats’ head coach of thirteen years to leave. Cincinnati has made the tournament a whopping nine straight times, and the AAC is only getting better:"

Reaction Score
This year looks like it might be the beginning, of a fast descent for the Fake Big East. If Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns had voted the right way in letting Penn St in, and started a football division. Could have had an East Coast conference of Independents. Miami, Florida St, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Penn St, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse, adding Cincinnati, and Louisville. Would have had the best of both worlds, and Notre Dame probably would have taken an ACC type deal to join.

Hmmm. It's hard to say. You can't expect the league to win a National Championship every year. Even the 1980's/1990s Big East had years where it didn't produce F4/E8 teams.

I'm however concerned that Northeast basketball is losing strength overall. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully UConn, Syracuse, SJU, PC and the Hall keep the region interesting in the next few years

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Hmmm. It's hard to say. You can't expect the league to win a National Championship every year. Even the 1980's/1990s Big East had years where it didn't produce F4/E8 teams.

I'm however concerned that Northeast basketball is losing strength overall. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully UConn, Syracuse, SJU, PC and the Hall keep the region interesting in the next few years

I had to giggle when I noticed you left BC out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom