Pre Season Bracketology | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pre Season Bracketology

Reaction Score
No one ever said you did have to stand by your statement but it’s a premature one. Like I said a game hasn’t been played yet so the “talk” is meaningless.

Since no one on this board is playing/coaching* in the games, isn't all the "talk" here meaningless?

* Other than frequent BY lurker Geno.

Reaction Score
Since no one on this board is playing/coaching* in the games, isn't all the "talk" here meaningless?

* Other than frequent BY lurker Geno.

All the speculated talk sure but once the season gets started topics will definitely have meaning.

Reaction Score
Nah. Not putting SC in Greenville would be almost like not putting UConn in Albany.
Plus teams like tamu and miss st aren't close at all.

If SC is inked in for Greenville then no other SEC top 16 seed can go there. (Unless the SEC has 5 in the top 16 and I doubt that. So if say NCSt were to win the SEC title and Tourn. then the committee would have to send NCSt to Indiana? I'd love to hear them rationalize that move as being in the best interests of the sport instead of just a money grab.

Reaction Score
If SC is inked in for Greenville then no other SEC top 16 seed can go there. (Unless the SEC has 5 in the top 16 and I doubt that. So if say NCSt were to win the SEC title and Tourn. then the committee would have to send NCSt to Indiana? I'd love to hear them rationalize that move as being in the best interests of the sport instead of just a money grab.

First someone would have to explain how ACC member NC St managed to sneak into the SEC tournament.

Reaction Score
Here is the SEC preseason media poll. Bolded are the only teams remotely close to GRSC.

1. South Carolina
2. Texas A&M​
3. Mississippi State​
4. Kentucky​
5. Arkansas​
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn
8. LSU​
9. Missouri​

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
First someone would have to explain how ACC member NC St managed to sneak into the SEC tournament.

Well there are some State fans who wouldn't mind them joining the SEC in order to escape the shadow of that school up the road... Kinda like TAMU and Texas. Perhaps they will get their wish in the next week or so :p

Reaction Score
Well there are some State fans who wouldn't mind them joining the SEC in order to escape the shadow of that school up the road... Kinda like TAMU and Texas. Perhaps they will get their wish in the next week or so :p

Yes I have wondered about that, though I dont think there's anywhere close to the animosity there was in TX. Plus NC is not nearly as outsized powerful in the ACC as TX was/is in the B12.

Reaction Score
Here is the SEC preseason media poll. Bolded are the only teams remotely close to GRSC.

1. South Carolina
2. Texas A&M​
3. Mississippi State​
4. Kentucky​
5. Arkansas​
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn
8. LSU​
9. Missouri​

The media also has Baylor & Oregon as 1's. Baylor gts Dallas while the west region 1 seed will likely go to the PAC12 champ so that leaves Indiana and Carolina for the other two 1 seeds. If SC gets Greenville and say the ACC champ gets a 1 seed? Where does the SEC champ go if they aren't the Gamecocks?
I understand the desire for attendance. But there is a limit.

Reaction Score
The media also has Baylor & Oregon as 1's. Baylor gts Dallas while the west region 1 seed will likely go to the PAC12 champ so that leaves Indiana and Carolina for the other two 1 seeds. If SC gets Greenville and say the ACC champ gets a 1 seed? Where does the SEC champ go if they aren't the Gamecocks?
I understand the desire for attendance. But there is a limit.

Which SEC team do you want to put in Greenville? TAMU, which is nearly 1,000 miles away? MissSt , 450 miles?
OBVIOUSLY, anyone can think of a higher specific situation where everything lines up to make it unavoidable that SC isnt in Greenville.

But I maintain that is not a high probability event.

Similarly,
Q: What are the odds that a PAC12 champ outside Oregon ends up in Portland?
A: Not high

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Similarly,

Wouldn't that depend on who the champ was if not Oregon? Certainly Oregon St. would make just as much sense if they won. Also, why would Stanford get shipped to Ft. Wayne or Greenville rather than PDX if they won?

In '18 #2 seed Oregon was in Spokane. In '17 #2 seed Oregon St. was in Stockton, CA. '16 #2 seed Arizona St. was in Sioux Falls, SD. '15 #3 seed Oregon St. would've been in Spokane (they didn't make it that far). I'm not gonna keep going back further, but it looks fairly apparent that one Pac 12 team will be in the West Regional and everybody else will get shipped out. Not sure why this year would be different.

Reaction Score
Which SEC team do you want to put in Greenville? TAMU, which is nearly 1,000 miles away? MissSt , 450 miles?
OBVIOUSLY, anyone can think of a higher specific situation where everything lines up to make it unavoidable that SC isnt in Greenville.

But I maintain that is not a high probability event.

Similarly,

MissSt , 450 miles
- That's a lot closer than Indiana or Portland? Should the SEC champ (TAMU) get no better than a 2 if Baylor does what it was supposed to do?

I'm sure the NCAA wants SC in Greenville but Dawn's going to have to make it easy for them. Greenville may not be close for a lot of SEC teams but neither are the other sites in most cases.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Beatrice who? How many other teams kept Miami’s star to six points last season?

Underestimate Charli and the best Devils in the nation at your own peril.

Iowa state held her to five points.:p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Make it so Charlie! Easiest cake walk Mississippi State has had the last several years.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that depend on who the champ was if not Oregon? Certainly Oregon St. would make just as much sense if they won. Also, why would Stanford get shipped to Ft. Wayne or Greenville rather than PDX if they won?

In '18 #2 seed Oregon was in Spokane. In '17 #2 seed Oregon St. was in Stockton, CA. '16 #2 seed Arizona St. was in Sioux Falls, SD. '15 #3 seed Oregon St. would've been in Spokane (they didn't make it that far). I'm not gonna keep going back further, but it looks fairly apparent that one Pac 12 team will be in the West Regional and everybody else will get shipped out. Not sure why this year would be different.
1) yes of course there will be only 1 pac team in the top 4 in Portland. That’s the rule
2) by “outside Oregon” I meant the state — so either ore or ore st
3) yes, if Stanford outright wins the PAC regular and tourney then they leave the committee with no choice. But if there is even the slightest wiggle room , and say split results, it will go to a team from OR.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
1) yes of course there will be only 1 pac team in the top 4 in Portland. That’s the rule
2) by “outside Oregon” I meant the state — so either ore or ore st
3) yes, if Stanford outright wins the PAC regular and tourney then they leave the committee with no choice. But if there is even the slightest wiggle room , and say split results, it will go to a team from OR.

Oops, I misinterpreted your previous post. Yes, I'm sure the committee very much wants to be able to place one of the Oregon schools in the Portland regional.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
October 26 Article on OSU WBB by my favorite sportswriter in Oregon, Kerry Eggers: Beavers should have 'a really fun year'.

First time Scott Rueck has stated publicly that Kat Tudor will be playing this season (and soon). This is fantastic news if you are an OSU WBB fan.
Okay, I got a great chuckle out of this quote (about OSU playing an exhibition against Team USA):

"I'm super excited to be playing against the best team in the world," said Rueck, entering his 10th season at the OSU helm. "It will be one of those nights where you'll remember for the rest of your life that you were there — the night Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird and Alisha Gray played in Gill Coliseum.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Surprising to see Notre Dame as a 5 Seed. While I don't see ND getting a #1 or #2 Seed, I think they'll be better then many are projecting. I would also put So Carolina in the Greensboro region as they'll probably be higher ranked at season end then Maryland. Based on UConn being in Fort Wayne, Charlie is projecting Stanford to have the higher #1 seed. Fort Waayne is further away from Storrs then Greensboro is.
The Regional is in Greenville, SC and not Greensboro, NC. It would be absurd to send the Gamecocks to Dallas when the regional is in SC and the NCAA struggling for attendance.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Are you sure about Greenville. The arena here maxes out at about 10,000 for basketball.
2020 NCAA tournament schedule and locations:

DATESROUNDCITY, STATEHOST(S)FACILITY
March 15Selection SundayN/AN/AN/A
March 17-18First FourDayton, OHUniversity of DaytonUD Arena
March 19/211st/2nd RoundsAlbany, NYMetro Atlantic Athletic ConferenceTimes Union Center
March 19/211st/2nd RoundsSpokane, WAUniversity of IdahoSpokane Veterans Memorial Arena
March 19/211st/2nd RoundsSt. Louis, MOMissouri Valley ConferenceEnterprise Center
March 19/211st/2nd RoundsTampa, FLUniversity of South FloridaAmalie Arena
March 20/221st/2nd RoundsGreensboro, NCAtlantic Coast ConferenceGreensboro Coliseum
March 20/221st/2nd RoundsOmaha, NECreighton UniversityCenturyLink Center Omaha
March 20/221st/2nd RoundsSacramento, CASacramento State UniversityGolden 1 Center
March 20/221st/2nd RoundsCleveland, OHMid-American Conference/Cleveland StateQuicken Loans Arena
March 26/28Midwest RegionalIndianapolis, INHorizon League/IUPUILucas Oil Stadium
March 26/28West RegionalLos Angeles, CAPepperdine UniversitySTAPLES Center
March 27/29South RegionalHouston, TXUniversity of HoustonToyota Center
March 27/29East RegionalNew York, NYSt. John’s University/Big East ConferenceMadison Square Garden
April 4/6Final FourAtlanta, GAGeorgia Institute of Technology
It seat about 14,000 for tournament basketball - roughly the same size as Albany. The SEC Tournament is there again this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Regional is in Greenville, SC and not Greensboro, NC. It would be absurd to send the Gamecocks to Dallas when the regional is in SC and the NCAA struggling for attendance.

They have done it before.... sent both UNCcheat and Duke to New Orleans and OKC when the regional was in Greensboro. 2008.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, South Carolina has to earn a high seed first don't they? Or should we just skip the season and go ahead and award them? Although Gonzaga has gotten to play in Spokane a few times as a non-protected seed, but that caused a fair bit of grumbling about how unfair it was.

edit--granted everyone needs to earn a high seed and favorable placement, but it's easier for me to pencil in Oregon for Portland and Baylor for Dallas than it is South Carolina for Greenville before the season starts. 2 of them were elite last year, 1 wasn't.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom