OT: - Prayers for Buffalo Bills player | The Boneyard

OT: Prayers for Buffalo Bills player

Reaction Score
In 2004 I was working a Cornell Lacrosse game when Cornell player George Boiardi was struck in the chest by a lacrosse ball and died as a result of commotio cordis. Unfortunately we were unable to save George and he passed away. Had we had an AED readily available in the stadium the outcome may have been different.

Reaction Score
1672747334694.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good news is that Hamlin’s heartbeat was restored on the field last night, and he made it to the hospital where he’s now listed in critical condition. So there is room for hope that Hamlin could survive the terrible trauma he suffered in last night’s game.

Reaction Score
In 2004 I was working a Cornell Lacrosse game when Cornell player George Boiardi was struck in the chest by a lacrosse ball and died as a result of commotio cordis. Unfortunately we were unable to save George and he passed away. Had we had an AED readily available in the stadium the outcome may have been different.
This is why campaigns like Tina Charles' for AED devices are so important. People don't realize what a difference it can make in a situation.

Perfect example is Naz Hillmon's younger brother. In a BIG10 special on her, they talked about him having a cardiac arrest and how this device saved his life. Not sure if he was being recruited to play basketball at this point. If he was, he would have been a 2021 recruit.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is why campaigns like Tina Charles' for AED devices are so important. People don't realize what a difference it can make in a situation.

Perfect example is Naz Hillmon's younger brother. In a BIG10 special on her, they talked about him having a cardiac arrest and how this device saved his life. Not sure if he was being recruited to play basketball at this point. If he was, he would have been a 2021 recruit.

Tina’s foundation

1672769674455.jpeg

Reaction Score
IF NFL went to tag football, I'd still watch- there would still be blocking, running, passing, kicking- everything but the excessive violence.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is commonly found in those over 55. But as we are now seeing, SCA is not limited to just those over 55.

SCA is an interruption of the heart's electrical system. It's called ventricular fibrillation. The victim has no warning sign and collapses. At that point in time, the person is technically dead - no heart beat.

There is a 10 minute window in which to administer CPR. Each minute CPR is delayed the chance for life drops 10%. Hands only CPR pushes the oxygenated blood to the vital organs. If an AED (Automated External Difibrullator) is available, it can shock the heart back into it's normal rhythm.

My wife and I teach how to use an AED. It's called Check-Call-Compress. We have been trained by our county fire/ rescue teams. We are sponsored by our fire/ rescue and have a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). And yes, we are 55+ community. We presently have 83 AED's in our community. We have around 10,000 residents with about 3,400 trained to use the AED's. Our community has had 8 SCA incidents. All 8 survived thanks to the availability of training and AED's These programs are available thru your local emergency response organizations and FEMA.

And I will add a big shout out to the medical professionals from last night. They did their job as they are trained to do. Damar is alive because of their efforts.

Reaction Score
A family member was away at school, 19-20 years old. One of her teammates found and did CPR on her. She was dead for about 10 mins. Thankfully she was resuscitated and alive! She was found to have a heart condition, can't remember the name of it. But, they don't test for it unless something happens and its genetic.

Reaction Score
A family member was away at school, 19-20 years old. One of her teammates found and did CPR on her. She was dead for about 10 mins. Thankfully she was resuscitated and alive! She was found to have a heart condition, can't remember the name of it. But, they don't test for it unless something happens and its genetic.
That is more common than people realize. Glad to hear they survived!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As a Bills fan, every update on his progress brings happy tears to my eyes. The support from all over has been amazing. Highmark Stadium is going to be insane on Sunday. Wish I could be there, but I know I'd be too emotional at the same time.

Reaction Score
Victims of witnessed sudden cardiac arrest who are immediately treated with an AED and quality CPR have a much better prognosis now than they did even ten years ago. Obviously he has a long way to go, but these reports are very encouraging.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom