Power 5 Conference predictions contest | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Power 5 Conference predictions contest

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Might I remind you, good sir, that you originally picked North Carolina in 9th place. I think you are all the things you described yourself as, probably...except when it comes to the Tar Heels. Then the rational, open minded, etc. etc stuff kinda departs.

Well in my defense, it was off the top of my head and there are 3 more months before the season started so things can change. I also mentioned that I could see them moving up to around 6-7. I just have a lot of questions about them, but I got 3 more months to do further research.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am far from an expert, but since I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express, I'll take a stab. They were 4-12 last year and lost their best player in Wells and 2 of the next best 3. While getting Barker is huge, she is a freshman and I don't think that they got that much else incoming from the portal or freshmen (their original top 2 decommitted). I am not 100% on all of the aforementioned, so feel free to fact-check.

I like Joni Taylor a lot, but don't think she has quite enough talent in a very competitive conference.

I probably didn't do enough research when I picked them at 6th. Didn't realize that they lost that much off of their roster.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kinda????? ;) Isn't this where record books get thrown out (or something similar)?
Record books get thrown out frequently. Land grant vs. flagship. In state matchups between a P5 and mid major. Baptists vs. Catholics or Methodists or anything else like that. I'm sure there is something more severe to describe this situation than the throwing of record books.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well in my defense, it was off the top of my head and there are 3 more months before the season started so things can change. I also mentioned that I could see them moving up to around 6-7. I just have a lot of questions about them, but I got 3 more months to do further research.
We don't want you to ruin your appetite, so we can all understand if you can't bring yourself to do much research into that other school in the Triangle.

Reaction Score
I probably didn't do enough research when I picked them at 6th. Didn't realize that they lost that much off of their roster.
1. Plenty of time to amend
2. The experts got plenty wrong last year. Just in the 2 conferences we're currently discussing: picked A & M 2nd (finished tied for 12th), LSU 8th (2nd), FLA 11th (tied for 4th), UNC 7th (tied for 3rd), & BC 11th (tied for 7th).
3. I don't have the answer key

Reaction Score
I am far from an expert, but since I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express, I'll take a stab. They were 4-12 last year and lost their best player in Wells and 2 of the next best 3. While getting Barker is huge, she is a freshman and I don't think that they got that much else incoming from the portal or freshmen (their original top 2 decommitted). I am not 100% on all of the aforementioned, so feel free to fact-check.

I like Joni Taylor a lot, but don't think she has quite enough talent in a very competitive conference.
I can appreciate those challenges, but I believe Georgia is an unknown as well. Who is to say the players that transferred with their coach from UCF will handle the SEC style of play? I struggle with the gap between teams because I see their situations being very similar.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I can appreciate those challenges, but I believe Georgia is an unknown as well. Who is to say the players that transferred with their coach from UCF will handle the SEC style of play? I struggle with the gap between teams because I see their situations being very similar.
Yeah its not just a game or two against a SEC team. It's a full SEC schedule. That makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That certain poster will have to acknowledge it is what it is, especially based on last year's results. Also, that certain team is at least 6th in comparison to other lists I believe :D

With the exception of Florida State in my opinion, everything from 6 onwards is a crap shoot. A lot of turnover with the teams listed and new coaches for some. Although I see Syracuse as a dark horse here because of what Legette-Jack was able to bring over from Buffalo and some of the transfers coming in.
Legette-Jack is a very good game coach, and Fair and Hyman will drive ACC teams crazy. They both are fast on fast, and handle the ball well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last night's ACC Draft #1 from off the top of my head

1. State
2. Louisville
3, Duke
4. Notre Dame
5. Virginia Tech
6. Miami
7. Georgia Tech
8. Syracuse
9. North Carolina
10. Wake Forest
11. Virginia
12. Florida State
13. Pittsburgh
14. Boston College
15. Clemson

**** Subject to change

Second draft... After the news out of Raleigh, I need to make a few updates. State without Boyd takes a fall. I realize I was a bit too tough on that school in Chapel Hill... moved them up in the standings. Always unbiased.

1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. Notre Dame
4. State
5 Virginia Tech
6 Miami
7 North Carolina
8 Syracuse
9 Georgia Tech
10 Wake Forest
11 UVA
12 Florida State
13 Pitt
14 Boston College
15 Clemson

Reaction Score
Big 12

1. Texas
2. Iowa State
3. Baylor
4. Oklahoma
5. Kansas State
6 TCU
7 Kansas
8 Texas Tech
9 West Virginia
10 Oklahoma State.
The exodus from Morgantown was significant. Unlike other schools that replaced a good chunk of their exiting talent, I didn't see that from WVU.

Reaction Score
Second draft... After the news out of Raleigh, I need to make a few updates. State without Boyd takes a fall. I realize I was a bit too tough on that school in Chapel Hill... moved them up in the standings. Always unbiased.

1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. Notre Dame
4. State
5 Virginia Tech
6 Miami
7 North Carolina
8 Syracuse
9 Georgia Tech
10 Wake Forest
11 UVA
12 Florida State
13 Pitt
14 Boston College
15 Clemson
As long as # 15 doesn’t change, I’m satisfied

Reaction Score
They’ll keep her just to send a message that they don’t care about wbb
Thats sad. I get you can't be championship quality in ever sport but at some point you got to aim for building something competitive. Clemson does have a rough history in WBB. Withstanding a period in the 90's, all the coaches since 2005 have not done well at all.

Oh my... I just found this. They extended her this summer.

Clemson University and head women’s basketball coach Amanda Butler have agreed to a contract extension through 2027, the athletic department announced today. The terms of the contract were approved by the Clemson University Board of Trustees Compensation Committee.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Clemson. I have a difficult time seeing Amanda Butler keep her job much longer baring some miraculous turn around. Her last three seasons:

2019–20Clemson8–233–1514th
2020–21Clemson12–145–1211thWNIT Second Round
2021–22Clemson10–213–1513th

She signed an extension this summer. Clemson women's basketball coach Amanda Butler signs contract extension
They’ll keep her just to send a message that they don’t care about wbb
Time will tell based on the extension signing.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Look, I’m no Tennessee fan.. in fact, other than Pat Summit, I really can’t stand the LVs.. but are y’all really out here putting a Tennessee team with Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, and potential SEC DPOY Tamari Key as 5th best in the league? Whew, tough crowd. Lol.. Those three alone push them into the top 3 IMO. It does take time to gel, but it would be a failure for Harper if they finished anywhere other than in the top 3.

Reaction Score
I am back. Will have predictions and analysis for all power 5 conferences next week to beat the release of coaches and media. I am definitely interested in seeing opinions of others.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For tempting-the-Woofing-Gods-related reasons, I am going to decline to participate, but I like this idea and look forward to others' insights!
Oh come on, the PAC12 is reverting back
To the good ole days with Stanford as #1 by a lot and then a blanket over the next 3 with a gap and the next set of 3….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom