Power 5 Conference predictions contest | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Power 5 Conference predictions contest

Reaction Score
LSU has a lot to figure out working in a bunch of new faces. Sure they are talented but even Kim was doing a interview this week and said talent doesn't mean much if they aren't on the same page. Hopefully Kim can fix LSU's defense this year. Ironically Kim's teams usually are known for their defenses but that was a disaster last year, granted it was year one and they didn't have players who could play man to man well (was zone essentially during the Nikki era). Only thing I know is Reese and Morris are starters with the rest wide open. I think post play will be dramatically different though when you compare Ladazhia and Reese to Newby/Aifuwa.
Just a bit more quickness and range, huh?

Did you think that they would have had a realistic chance vs. Ohio State with a healthy Morris? It seemed as though her injury had a major impact in the games down the stretch that she missed or tried to gut it out.

Last edited:

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Big pickup for Florida. I would swap them and UGA now but I’m staying with my SEC picks.

Good p/u for them. Will she have to sit out this year since she’s already transferred once and transferred this late this time?

Reaction Score
Good p/u for them. Will she have to sit out this year since she’s already transferred once and transferred this late this time?
Great point. I would have thought that either of those would make her ineligible this year. Even if she entered the portal by the deadline, there is only a 1 time exemption for the immediate transfer and I don't think she had unusual circumstances either time. I would be surprised if she graduated in only 3 years using credits from 2 different schools to qualify as a grad-transfer.

Reaction Score
My take on SEc
South Carolina
LSU
UGA
MSST
Tenn
Florida
Ark
TA&M
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Vandy
Auburn
Alabama
Missouri
Damn, you stole my boldest pick. Interesting with another TN #5. Last year the coaches poll had A&M 2nd (finished tied for next-to-last), LSU 8th (2nd), & FL 11th (tied for 4th), so it isn’t easy

Reaction Score
Just a bit more quickness and range, huh?

Did you think that they would have had a realistic chance vs. Ohio State with a healthy Morris? It seemed as though her injury had a major impact in the games down the stretch that she missed or tried to gut it out.
Much more talented duo. I appreciated Newby/Aifuwa, they did really try so can't be mad at them. They did their best and its all you can ask for. Newby was just extremely limited, she could rebound well. Aifuwa had her moments but isn't consistent.

I think OSU was a bad matchup for LSU with or without Morris. LSU was one of the 10 worst teams in all of D1 defending the 3 ball but LSU would have had a way better shot had Morris been healthy. Thats 15-20 ppg out the window. LSU can't beat top teams without Morris/Pointer going off, they just don't have the players to play at that level. Which is all the more reason why last season was remarkable. That team had absolutely no business winning 26 games. Kim has had many disappointing early post season exits but truthfully last season may have been one of the most impressive coaching jobs of her career, even taking into account her natty years. Took a team from 9 wins to 26 wins, 2nd in the SEC (best finish in nearly 13-14 years), went from one of the worst offensive teams in the country to one of the best in the conference (2nd in scoring). The list goes on, we all knew Kim would improve them, that level of improvement though was not expected.

Reaction Score
Much more talented duo. I appreciated Newby/Aifuwa, they did really try so can't be mad at them. They did their best and its all you can ask for. Newby was just extremely limited, she could rebound well. Aifuwa had her moments but isn't consistent.

I think OSU was a bad matchup for LSU with or without Morris. LSU was one of the 10 worst teams in all of D1 defending the 3 ball but LSU would have had a way better shot had Morris been healthy. Thats 15-20 ppg out the window. LSU can't beat top teams without Morris/Pointer going off, they just don't have the players to play at that level. Which is all the more reason why last season was remarkable. That team had absolutely no business winning 26 games. Kim has had many disappointing early post season exits but truthfully last season may have been one of the most impressive coaching jobs of her career, even taking into account her natty years. Took a team from 9 wins to 26 wins, 2nd in the SEC (best finish in nearly 13-14 years), went from one of the worst offensive teams in the country to one of the best in the conference (2nd in scoring). The list goes on, we all knew Kim would improve them, that level of improvement though was not expected.
I think one of the areas that Kim excels is game/time management. She really seemed to have her players preserve leads by milking the clock in the 4th quarter, while getting decent shots. Many of today's top coaches have had egregious errors in very important games (eg, not fouling Kentucky with fouls to give late in the SEC championship after a timeout -- btw, brilliant TO discussion by Kyra, taking a shot (if that could be classified as a shot) with ≈ 14 seconds with the shot clock off after a lengthy time out with 26.6 seconds in a tie game in the FF, completely stagnating the offense for the final minutes, including not even running a semblance of a play to give the other team possession in the front court with over 6 seconds remaining down 1 in the NC game). I've seen these mistakes in the W as well, but Kim seems to avoid them even in big games like the 19 title game. I know she gets lambasted for only winning once with BG, but I think game management is a big strength.

Reaction Score
I think I recently read an article that stated a ruling would soon be passed for players to transfer to wherever whenever they want regardless of they’d transferred before.

Reaction Score
I think I recently read an article that stated a ruling would soon be passed for players to transfer to wherever whenever they want regardless of they’d transferred before.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
Since the Big 10 hasn't been represented yet, let me give it a shot.

1. Iowa
2. Indiana
3. Ohio State
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Northwestern
8. Purdue
9. Michigan State
10. Minnesota
11. Penn State
12. Rutgers
13. Illinois
14 Wisconsin

I'm pretty confident of the top 5 but rest is a crap shoot. I think I may have Minnesota too low.
Pretty solid predictions for the Big 10. I was kind of thinking the same thing with a twist here and there. I got:

1). Indiana
2). Ohio State
3). Iowa
4). Maryland
5). Nebraska
6). Michigan
7). Purdue
8). Northwestern
9). Michigan State
10). Minnesota
11). Rutgers
12). Wisconsin
13). Penn State
14). Illinois

Reaction Score
As promised, here is the 1st draft of my SEC predictions for the year:

SC
TN
LSU
MSST
FL
GA
AR
AL
MS
TA&M
KY
Vandy
MO
Auburn

Next week will be the ACC and after I complete the 5, I will make revisions (already considering moving WV down after seeing how much they lost) and add additional commentary.

Reaction Score
1st crack at ACC:

Louisville
Notre Dame
NC State
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Georgia Tech
Syracuse
Florida State
Virginia
Wake Forest
Boston College
Clemson
Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh, you're gonna get the stink eye from a certain poster for this! :rolleyes:
That certain poster will have to acknowledge it is what it is, especially based on last year's results. Also, that certain team is at least 6th in comparison to other lists I believe :D
Please don't tell that certain poster that my biggest 2 gaps are between 5 & 6 and between 8 & 9.
With the exception of Florida State in my opinion, everything from 6 onwards is a crap shoot. A lot of turnover with the teams listed and new coaches for some. Although I see Syracuse as a dark horse here because of what Legette-Jack was able to bring over from Buffalo and some of the transfers coming in.

Reaction Score
That certain poster will have to acknowledge it is what it is, especially based on last year's results. Also, that certain team is at least 6th in comparison to other lists I believe :D

With the exception of Florida State in my opinion, everything from 6 onwards is a crap shoot. A lot of turnover with the teams listed and new coaches for some. Although I see Syracuse as a dark horse here because of what Legette-Jack was able to bring over from Buffalo and some of the transfers coming in.
That's why I moved Syracuse from 12th last year to 9th. Why do you think Florida State is an exception? They lost a lot from their front court as well as their best player (one of the biggest reasons that I picked Louisville #1 -- even though the transfer portal thread was more focused on Aubrey Joens at the time???). The reason that I picked them as high as I did is I think their very young, talented back court (Gordon & Latson) will create a lot of turnovers, but there is a good chance that I'm a year early.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Not quite sure who that aforementioned certain poster is.. (though he is probably a charming, wise, and handsome individual) ... but I'm sure he is more rational and open minded than he is given credit for, probably.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure who that aforementioned certain poster is.. (though he is probably a charming, wise, and handsome individual) ... but I'm sure he is more rational and open minded than he is given credit for, probably.
Probably . . . I will have to say that I would thoroughly enjoy grabbing a bite and drink talking hoops and everything else with that certain poster the next time I pass through the triad . . . probably

Reaction Score
That's why I moved Syracuse from 12th last year to 9th. Why do you think Florida State is an exception? They lost a lot from their front court as well as their best player (one of the biggest reasons that I picked Louisville #1 -- even though the transfer portal thread was more focused on Aubrey Joens at the time???). The reason that I picked them as high as I did is I think their very young, talented back court (Gordon & Latson) will create a lot of turnovers, but there is a good chance that I'm a year early.
Re FSU, I like the coach and what she was able to do when their former HC was taking care of her mother. I get that there were a fair bit of transfers out, but a couple weren't regular contributors and a few were grad students. They still have Gordon as a sophomore and they brought in Massengil from Kentucky and Turnage who could be a surprise at W.

On the flip side, we're seeing similar choices by posters when it comes to the SEC, specifically Georgia and Texas A&M. Both teams go through HC changes, transfers in and out and Georgia is considered a top 5 team, while TAMU is in the bottom half. Both coaches got their teams to the sweet 16 last tournament. Both coaches were able to convince some of their players to transfer to their new school. Coach Taylor was able to convince Barker to stick with her.

How does that make sense? I would have guessed they'd both be middle of the pack considering their situations. What have I overlooked that SEC experts can educate me on?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
SEC

1. South Carolina
2. Tennessee
3. LSU
4. Georgia
5. Florida
6. TAMU
7. Arkansas
8. Miss State
9. Ole Miss
10. Vandy
11. Kentucky
12. Auburn
13. Alabama
14. Missouri

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Might I remind you, good sir, that you originally picked North Carolina in 9th place. I think you are all the things you described yourself as, probably...except when it comes to the Tar Heels. Then the rational, open minded, etc. etc stuff kinda departs.

Reaction Score
Re FSU, I like the coach and what she was able to do when their former HC was taking care of her mother. I get that there were a fair bit of transfers out, but a couple weren't regular contributors and a few were grad students. They still have Gordon as a sophomore and they brought in Massengil from Kentucky and Turnage who could be a surprise at W.

On the flip side, we're seeing similar choices by posters when it comes to the SEC, specifically Georgia and Texas A&M. Both teams go through HC changes, transfers in and out and Georgia is considered a top 5 team, while TAMU is in the bottom half. Both coaches got their teams to the sweet 16 last tournament. Both coaches were able to convince some of their players to transfer to their new school. Coach Taylor was able to convince Barker to stick with her.

How does that make sense? I would have guessed they'd both be middle of the pack considering their situations. What have I overlooked that SEC experts can educate me on?
I am far from an expert, but since I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express, I'll take a stab. They were 4-12 last year and lost their best player in Wells and 2 of the next best 3. While getting Barker is huge, she is a freshman and I don't think that they got that much else incoming from the portal or freshmen (their original top 2 decommitted). I am not 100% on all of the aforementioned, so feel free to fact-check.

I like Joni Taylor a lot, but don't think she has quite enough talent in a very competitive conference.

Reaction Score
Might I remind you, good sir, that you originally picked North Carolina in 9th place. I think you are all the things you described yourself as, probably...except when it comes to the Tar Heels. Then the rational, open minded, etc. etc stuff kinda departs.

Kinda????? ;) Isn't this where record books get thrown out (or something similar)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom