Potential Transfers Into Program in 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Potential Transfers Into Program in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
From the sounds of it, we will likey add a few grad transfers this year. Hope it’s DL.

Reaction Score
Recruiting of grad transfers has replaced the filling of the last few scholarship spots with the traditional "diamonds in the rough" or JC players. Edsall still harvested his crop of diamonds with Devaughn, Turner, Paul and Farrell (late bloomers and/or kids with limited offers that have raw athletic talent) and , but he didn't fill out the class with this type of player. This takes some fun out of the last days of recruiting as there was a perverse enjoyment to UConn grabbing players that no other P5/G5 team in the country saw as worthy of a scholarship. Some of these kids made great stories, but many also fizzled into oblivion. The grad transfer potential to fill immediate needs certainly overshadows an offer to a player that may not have an impact on the program for 3-4 years. Having 3 or 4 grad transfer spots available for the right player is a smart safety net. UConn should be an appealing landing zone for some P5 grad transfers who are looking for potential PT and also want quality post-grad opportunities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t get my hopes up...

Interesting. Why would Alabama need to bring in graduate transfers? Don't they bring in 20 5 star freshmen every year? Funny how many freshmen ended up playing for them. What happens to the upper class men who were once 5 star recruits? Do they leave the game, transfer out or just sit on the bench? We need some of them to come up here and play.

Reaction Score
It's kind of a bummer that we didn't get a mid-year transfer this cycle, but hopefully we can get a few kids to come in and be a part of Summer workouts to get acclamated to what we quickly so maybe than can provide immediate help depthwise. Having a Grad year transfer come in for Fall practice only isn't as productive. Would be more like NFL camp fodder.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looks like Ryan has two years of eligibility left and can play immediately. He redshirted 2015, played sparingly in 2016 and 2017 and now graduates this spring.

A quick twitter review says he might be looking at Vandy, but he clearly has many more connections already with our staff. Dare I say this one might be ours!

6’3’’ and 305 ish in weight. Not explosive, but should be a space eater. A guy like this could take a lot of pressure off Travis Jones to maybe put us in a position to go 50/40/10 on the NT rotation for snaps.

Reaction Score
Don't mind going after a DT but we really need an edge speed rusher or two or three.

Reaction Score
It would be functional if we had 4 DTs rotating.. then on the ends rotate accordingly...

Yeah but with playing the 3-3-5 we only play a NT. So 3 at most will do the trick. And between Murphy, Thomas, Okounam, Jones we should be OK there. Then ends scare me though. Not nearly enough pressure on opposing QB's last year and although some of that needs to come from blitzing LB's in the 3-3-5. It would be nice to have at least a couple decent DE pass rushers. We have zero.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It would be functional if we had 4 DTs rotating.. then on the ends rotate accordingly...

Are Murphy, Caleb Thomas, and Travis Jones the only DTs we have in the program? I'd prefer if we could RS Jones, but that seems improbable

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are Murphy, Caleb Thomas, and Travis Jones the only DTs we have in the program? I'd prefer if we could RS Jones, but that seems improbable
On its surface, that sounds right. I'm not so sure however that Caleb Thomas is big enough at 6'0'' to be a NT under a 3-4. Not saying it can't be done (heck Murphy is just 6'1). Noel Brouse has size at 6'5'' but we haven't heard much about him in two years at the program thus far. This is all why the possibility of Fines coming here from Miami is such a big deal. I don't think Fines is going to blow the doors off with his play, but he could give the snaps we need to take pressure off young Travis Jones. Plus Fines has two years of eligibility which is nice. I'd be curious if we end up with a Fines, Murphy and Brouse/Thomas rotation for the first four games and Fines, Murphy/T. Jones for the last 8 games.

All this said, I also think Pace might have the size to slide to NT if the quartet above doesn't work out.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Some follow up:

Prized grad transfer RB Madre London chose Tennessee this weekend and DL grad transfer Preston Gordon from Rice chose Texas Tech.

In poking around on Twitter this morning I didn't spot too much of great interest. Grad Assistant Ben Abitz seems to be one of the more active members of the staff in reaching out on JUCO and transfer kids via twitter. Perhaps the most notable kid he started following is Louisville left tackle LJ Roundtree who recently took an official visit to University of NM (same school Tre Watson RB from Cal visited a few weeks back).

Login on Twitter

Reaction Score
Here's a list with links of potential 2018 transfers. Hoping we can gets some of these dudes! Quite a list of potential available grad transfers with links. Some good looking players we need. Big Linemen for both OL and DL. Some good looking running backs.

Potential Transfers

Somebody give Matt Rhule a call on this guy!

Baylor RB Terence Williams looking to transfer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member