Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
CwrNJlvWIAA5vXL.jpg:large
Oh my goodness... I can't even imagine...

Reaction Score
On Keeler What I heard was the new Delaware AD just wanted his own guy. May have been other issues behind the scene but any issue was more a justification to replace him than anything else. I'm a little nervous about 1AA guys moving up because for every Tressle I think you have 2 of the Virginia guy who was great at Richmond. But hey how much worse could he be than the Bobster? If you look at that level you might also look at James Madison. Their only loss was to UNC and they have put up 80 TWICE this year. He was 9-4 at the freakin' Citadel last year including a win over South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I'd have to say I am also partial to people that have had at least some success here. Moorhead and Weist should get interviews.

I get Morehead. I have nothing against Weist, but the jobs he is offered should tell us all something.

If I am looking for a coordinator with ties to our program to come back and run it, the other name besides Morehead we should be talking about is Todd Orlando.

Reaction Score
I get Morehead. I have nothing against Weist, but the jobs he is offered should tell us all something.

If I am looking for a coordinator with ties to our program to come back and run it, the other name besides Morehead we should be talking about is Todd Orlando.

Agreed but TO needs to declare who his OC (and salary needs) will be at time of interview though! ;)

Reaction Score
Matt Rhule, HC, Temple (current salary: $1M/yr). This is pure Dooley fantasy and would be a complete G5/AAC power play for UConn to hire him away from a conference school but man, this dude can coach and coach in the northeast. He's from the northeast in our recruiting territories, played LB and coached as an OC before being a head coach. Right now, Temple is a good program to emulate. We would have to, at least, double his salary to entice him to leave. Maybe more. And he'll get looks at other openings. Fuente jumped from Memphis to Virginia Tech for $3.2M/yr. That's likely the range we're talking about. Would be expensive to buyout Diaco AND buyout Rhule AND pay him 2x or 2.5x his current salary but I'd be willing to do it for Rhule.

FYI,
Matt Rhule renegotiated his contract last year and and got a 4 year extension. Terms were not released but he is making well north of $2M. Might even be closer to $3M a year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
FYI,
Matt Rhule renegotiated his contract last year and and got a 4 year extension. Terms were not released but he is making well north of $2M. Might even be closer to $3M a year.

Thanks for the update. That would effectively scratch Rhule off of my list - was strictly a money power play pipe dream that is even less likely if he's already in the $2M-$3M/yr range at Temple. He's a great coach...wish he was ours!

Reaction Score

I couldn't get past your first sentence. I need to grow up.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Oh man, you just made me very excited. Moorhead and Orlando combo? Yes please - sign me up for that right now. We could make it a clean ex-UConn coach sweep with:

HC - Joe Moorhead
OC - TJ Weist
DC - Todd Orlando

With that lineup, we get back to bowling again in my opinion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Oh man, you just made me very excited. Moorhead and Orlando combo? Yes please - sign me up for that right now. We could make it a clean ex-UConn coach sweep with:

HC - Joe Moorhead
OC - TJ Weist
DC - Todd Orlando

Now my keyboard is messy... :eek: (too much?)

Reaction Score
I like the idea of bringing in someone from the Edsall regime, because I am assuming that person would have some memory about what it takes to make things work here.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

HC - Joe Moorhead
OC - TJ Weist
DC - Todd Orlando

Yes plz

Reaction Score
Well you must be in the minority because all you see here is the want of a OC who throws the ball all over the field 50+ times per game. If you want to see Edsall back then you must enjoy Diaco's defense because it's a carbon copy of what Edsall ran here. He had run his course here...and just so you know I was tailgating with his agent before the Fiesta bowl started and with a straight face told the group of us that his "dream job" wasPSU...then less than 15 minutes later myself and another of our group saw him on his phone while waiting for others wo went to the bathroom..when we said hi too him he looked like he saw a ghost...make no mistake about it that deal with UMD was done before the Fiesta Bowl even started. He decided to move on and when he made that decision he , his stuffy offense, bend but don't break D, arrogant attitude, and *y closing skills during recruiting went with him forever!

1) nice strawman
2) get over it
3) you don't speak for everyone.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Guys, that is a fake account tweet. There is zero truth to that whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Again, low-bar woe-is-us thinking. Miles, Strong or Kelly would come here for $2M. You know that's what Geno's getting, paid, right?

The self-inflicted mistake of the buyout is an obstacle, yes. But seems like some renegotiating might be in order to make it more palatable for UConn to eat on Nov. 27
Not in a million years. This is pure fantasy land, you need to look in the mirror and realize this is UConn football and be realistic.

Reaction Score
Just keep in mind that no matter who you bring in it's still going to take minimum 3 years for enough of their "RKG's" to be in place for the kind of season we're all hoping and dreaming for. Your not going to bring in a new guy no matter who it is and have him flip a switch, win 8+ games and have 4 stars show up for visits. Either give Diaco next year to get back to a bowl or spend the dough and bring in a "name" people can get excited about and give him 3 years to get things fixed. It's going to take 2 years to get the O-line recruited and straightened out alone. If I was the AD I'd have a calculator in one hand and the phone in the other figuring out just how much cash can be raised to make a change.

I like the Joe Morehead or Todd Orlando idea though because it seems realistically do-able. But remember, the last 4(or 5) O-line coaches have all failed. Is it really them or the fact that this team struggles to recruit O-linemen. Is the next HC going to fare any better? They better because that's been the Achilles heel since the Fiesta Bowl.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not in a million years. This is pure fantasy land, you need to look in the mirror and realize this is UConn football and be realistic.

Thank you low bar woe-is-us guy. How about you look at coacheshotseat.com and educate yourself on what these guys are making then compare it to what our freaking women's basketball coach is making. I guess you'd like to hire the hot Division III coach, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom