Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We could be competing against BC for a HC. Have to believe Adazzio is in trouble.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Terry Bowden. No P5 future - has done a good job at Akron. Can pay him more. A last name people recognize....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's just incredibly bothersome that he is going to likely be back due to the administration extending him no longer than a year back coming off a losing season.

It's just evident to anyone who follows the program that after nearly 3 seasons he doesn't have what it takes in game and on the recruiting trail to succeed at this level.

We literally had the same situation with P and brought him back even though we knew he was shot and had to fire him after the Buffalo debacle.

Bringing him back either proves we are incompetent or possibly worse, just dont care.

Reaction Score
It's just incredibly bothersome that he is going to likely be back due to the administration extending him no longer than a year back coming off a losing season.

It's just evident to anyone who follows the program that after nearly 3 seasons he doesn't have what it takes in game and on the recruiting trail to succeed at this level.

We literally had the same situation with P and brought him back even though we knew he was shot and had to fire him after the Buffalo debacle.

Bringing him back either proves we are incompetent or possibly worse, just dont care.
I'm gonna go with incompetent. It was silly to extend him with a more expensive buyout if things went south. Well, they went south in a hurry.

Part of this is the growing pains of trying to establish a FB program, but like this board always says you can be bad or you can be boring. We are both and we have a coach that thinks its all gonna get fixed with love and hugs. Sadly this combination has crippled attendance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some interesting names, many of which are pipe dreams. I think Bob will be back next year, but that's his last shot. Winning record is what it will take for him to get another year.

Something to consider by the way, canning a coach after three seasons does not make your school more attractive to potential new coaches. They want to know that they'll get a fair shot to turn things around.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'll toss a name out just for discussion purposes. I know nothing about him as a coach, but he's local and I think currently unemployed. Eric Mangini. Is this an interesting name or a nightmare? Have at it.

Reaction Score
Thank you low bar woe-is-us guy. How about you look at coacheshotseat.com and educate yourself on what these guys are making then compare it to what our freaking women's basketball coach is making. I guess you'd like to hire the hot Division III coach, right?
So your argument is that Geno makes a lot of money so Miles, Kelly or Strong will come coach here? I mean wake up man, Miles and Kelly will have offers from programs who are so much better than ours, and Strong will not take a job at a floundering program in the northeast when he can wait for a job somewhere better. The Iowa State coach makes 2 million a year, so does the Navy coach, this is not some great salary to lure a big name to UConn.

Try for me to put together a rational argument supporting your stance outside of the fact "Geno makes a lot of money". Try using your brain.

Reaction Score
Some interesting names, many of which are pipe dreams. I think Bob will be back next year, but that's his last shot. Winning record is what it will take for him to get another year.

Something to consider by the way, canning a coach after three seasons does not make your school more attractive to potential new coaches. They want to know that they'll get a fair shot to turn things around.
Canning a guy after 3 years is a problem if he goes 2-10, 6-6, 7-5. Doing it after he goes 2-10, 6-6, 3-9 not so much. Rightly or wrongly the days of giving a coach 5 years to turn a program around are long gone. Nobody is saying no to a job because you fired his predecessor for going 11-25 with no winning seasons.

Reaction Score
So your argument is that Geno makes a lot of money so Miles, Kelly or Strong will come coach here? I mean wake up man, Miles and Kelly will have offers from programs who are so much better than ours, and Strong will not take a job at a floundering program in the northeast when he can wait for a job somewhere better. The Iowa State coach makes 2 million a year, so does the Navy coach, this is not some great salary to lure a big name to UConn.

Try for me to put together a rational argument supporting your stance outside of the fact "Geno makes a lot of money". Try using your brain.

Easy on the "brain" shots, bro. I've seen your other posts. You're not exactly bound for Mensa.

Reaction Score
What in the holy hell does Geno have to do with anything?

If we can afford to pay the women's basketball coach $2 million we can afford to pay the next coach at least that. Some people think Les Miles, etc. won't come here because we're not good enough for them. Guarantee Les Miles would take $2 million at this stage. There's talk that at 62 he might get shut out of the market in this cycle because of his age.

Reaction Score
Easy on the "brain" shots, bro. I've seen your other posts. You're not exactly bound for Mensa.
Per usual you cannot put together any sort of case to support your point. Your handle is fitting.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I doubt that factors into much. Coaches want money and feel like they have the ability to win.

A prior regime not being able to call a proper timeout in 3 seasons and getting canned isn't going to deter someone from that.

The barren roster that was left from 7 seasons of recruiting Patriot League talent probably has a whole hell of a lot more bearing on that.

Reaction Score
If we can afford to pay the women's basketball coach $2 million we can afford to pay the next coach at least that. Some people think Les Miles, etc. won't come here because we're not good enough for them. Guarantee Les Miles would take $2 million at this stage. There's talk that at 62 he might get shut out of the market in this cycle because of his age.

Please stop with the Les Miles nonsense.

He's making $1.6MM/yr for the next 6 years to STAY HOME. He's not coming to UConn for $2MM, $3MM or any other amount. If he doesn't get a job this time around he will stay visible thru some media/TV outlet and be back in the mix next year.

Report: Details of Les Miles’ contract buyout

Reaction Score
Please stop with the Les Miles nonsense.

He's making $1.6MM/yr for the next 6 years to STAY HOME. He's not coming to UConn for $2MM, $3MM or any other amount. If he doesn't get a job this time around he will stay visible thru some media/TV outlet and be back in the mix next year.

Report: Details of Les Miles’ contract buyout

Looks like he wants to get back into the game. Listen, I'm not saying Miles is my first choice or the only choice and he very well might be beyond UConn's grasp. But just getting a name like that associated with this program can't hurt at this stage, right? Why not set the bar high for coaching talent?

Source: Miles mulling coordinators for '17 return

Reaction Score
Looks like he wants to get back into the game. Listen, I'm not saying Miles is my first choice or the only choice and he very well might be beyond UConn's grasp. But just getting a name like that associated with this program can't hurt at this stage, right? Why not set the bar high for coaching talent?

Great point! They can't say no if you don't ask!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Les Miles on coaching next season....

"I'm looking for a place dedicated to the players' achievement in the classroom and that wants to win championships," said Miles, who turned down television offers after his dismissal at LSU. "If there's an athletic director and president that wants to do that, I'm in line."

Tell me this doesn't sound like SH and Benedict??

Reaction Score
Great point! They can't say no if you don't ask!
No one is setting the bar low, everyone would love Miles or Kelly, and UConn will undoubtedly contact them, but its unrealistic to think they would take this job.

Reaction Score

Miles Might be beyond Uconn's grasp is the first rational line in your many posts.

Miles had a top 10-15 job in CFB with facilties, institutional support, donor support and the right league. If he gets back into the game, it will be to a 35-45 slot job (think MSU, ASU). It is not 100% a money equation. It is more like 75% ego and 25% money for someone like Miles. Charlie Strong, maybe closer, but he is not dropping below a top 50 job. Kelly, not a shot (even though he is not getting fired from ND this year) as he is the Miles category.

Some of the other names people threw out are also not likely. Why would a top coach in the MAC, C-USA or someone already in the AAC make a lateral move? There is no conference prestige with associated with an AAC job. Those are the guys you will see going to NC State, Purdue, South Carolina, etc.

You can throw all the money in the world at a name coach but that won't make it happen. Uconn went with name coach with BD. They gambled and lost so far on someone without a single game of head coaching experience. Once bitten twice shy? Of course PP had the HC experience but you can also question how far down the food chain he had fallen since his glory days at Cuse (largely with another coaches players).

This time, reach down a level or two and grab an offensive minded, successful HC. Someone who understands what a modern offense should look like. Someone that has a current winning record.

After thinking about this and who might be a realistic option, my choice - Bob Stitt. This is an innovative, exciting coach with success (in cold weather environments) who would be stepping up in stature by taking an AAC job.

Second choice - Joe Morehead.Offensive minded, suucess as a head coach and OC at a P5 tradition school.

Third choice - Scott Satterfield; success as HC, runs a modern offensive scheme

Last Choice - Charlie Weiss. Hold your laughter for a second. Ultimate ego looking for a shot a redemption. Can wave Super Bowl rings at recruits, can actually run an offense and put him in a league where there may be only 1 or 2 good D's, he would be running at a division title quickly. Plus, he may not cost too much given how much of his contract buyouts he still sits on. Like I said, he is a last choice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll toss a name out just for discussion purposes. I know nothing about him as a coach, but he's local and I think currently unemployed. Eric Mangini. Is this an interesting name or a nightmare? Have at it.

Nightmare.

He'd be another conservative focus on defense and not turning the ball over type coach. He'd bring the same RKG type rhetoric most people are tired of. He won't be able to sell or create excitement for the program. And no college experience

I think with him the best case is he's our next Edsall. But there's too many question marks about him to know if he gets there, and I think we want to shoot higher than that.

Reaction Score
After thinking about this and who might be a realistic option, my choice - Bob Stitt. This is an innovative, exciting coach with success (in cold weather environments) who would be stepping up in stature by taking an AAC job.
I think Stitt would be a great option he has years of HC experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown