Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He sure does - but is there any way LSU doesn't hire him??

You like things w/ odds... Ed Orgeron could still keep the LSU job, but beating Bama sure would’ve helped

>>“I think he can win the job if he goes 7-1 and doesn’t beat Alabama. If he goes 7-1 with a Bama win, he’s a lock. 6-2 with an Alabama win, I’ll put him at 90 percent. But like 6-2 without Bama, and you’re dipping below 70 percent, probably. And 5-3, you can’t get the job unless there’s a Bama win. With a Bama win at 5-3, maybe you get it. Then it’s a coin flip.”

Beating Alabama would’ve had Orgeron at 4-0, and, in this telling, any kind of decent finish would’ve almost certainly kept Orgeron in Baton Rouge going forward.

Not beating Alabama makes things a bit murkier, but not impossible. Orgeron’s still 3-1 since taking over for the fired Les Miles, and the Tigers could still close the year strong. Their last three games are against Arkansas, Florida, and Texas A&M. There’s nothing even approximating a gimme there, but everything’s winnable.<<

Reaction Score
He sure does - but is there any way LSU doesn't hire him?

Which book was that? Meat Market?
I actually found out Eddie O coached at Cuse when I was digging up GDL's pedigree towards the endow his run here. I'm not sure about LSU Whaler..he should be a shoo-in there...BUT with Herman out there and Strong making a case to keep his job at UT for another year it may be tough for him to make his case. I thought he should have been a candidate when Diaco was hired.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You like things w/ odds... Ed Orgeron could still keep the LSU job, but beating Bama sure would’ve helped

>>“I think he can win the job if he goes 7-1 and doesn’t beat Alabama. If he goes 7-1 with a Bama win, he’s a lock. 6-2 with an Alabama win, I’ll put him at 90 percent. But like 6-2 without Bama, and you’re dipping below 70 percent, probably. And 5-3, you can’t get the job unless there’s a Bama win. With a Bama win at 5-3, maybe you get it. Then it’s a coin flip.”

Beating Alabama would’ve had Orgeron at 4-0, and, in this telling, any kind of decent finish would’ve almost certainly kept Orgeron in Baton Rouge going forward.

Not beating Alabama makes things a bit murkier, but not impossible. Orgeron’s still 3-1 since taking over for the fired Les Miles, and the Tigers could still close the year strong. Their last three games are against Arkansas, Florida, and Texas A&M. There’s nothing even approximating a gimme there, but everything’s winnable.<<

I do like odds but those are kind of just made up.... the world deserves Ed Orgeron coaching LSU. People make jokes about the SEC being overrated - but the schedules are completely ridiculous when you get Arkansas, Florida and aTm coming off Alabama.

Reaction Score
I do like odds but those are kind of just made up.... the world deserves Ed Orgeron coaching LSU. People make jokes about the SEC being overrated - but the schedules are completely ridiculous when you get Arkansas, Florida and aTm coming off Alabama.

I think he gets the chance if he doesn't o-fer. The offense needs to show signs of evolving but won't/can't all be fixed in season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I actually found out Eddie O coached at Cuse when I was digging up GDL's pedigree towards the endow his run here. I'm not sure about LSU Whaler..he should be a shoo-in there...BUT with Herman out there and Strong making a case to keep his job at UT for another year it may be tough for him to make his case. I thought he should have been a candidate when Diaco was hired.

I have the book upstairs, Meat Market by Bruce Feldman. There were a few pages about Robert Marve who spurned Edsall to go to Miami before he transferred to Purdue.

There were a lot of pages about Orgeron when he was recruiting while still at Ole Miss I think. We all know he's a recruiting wizard based on the results, but the book really made you want him on your side.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Schiano? Oh my god we've all lost our damn minds. Cancel my season tickets if that's where we go.

We all want "Edsall level" football but he's not the guy to do it. And frankly nobody knows if he'd even be able to do it in the AAC. That is NOT a given.

I don't have anyone in mind because I don't follow the coaching ranks closely enough, but give me someone who will play aggressively in all 3 phases. Don Brown's defense, but for offense and special teams too. The idea that we can't pass or be aggressive in NE is so preposterous.
this more than anything is what bothers me about the BD style... it's just so darn passive in every respect. not what I thought we'd get from an all B1G linebacker.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I know this is a pipe dream and I of course have no idea if he would even want to get into coaching (he has young kids so maybe he does not want to uproot things too much but he sure knows the road down to Bristol).... Try to get Teddy Bruschi to come here as an Ass't DC (with the promise that if he succeeds, then he becomes the DC in year 2). He could really help recruiting, knows the game inside and out, and would "will" kids to perform in a similar manner (but in a much more civil manner) like JC did for men's hoops...

What this would do is would show bigger name head coach candidates once BD is canned next year that we have a solid name at the coordinator level and can win with solid "D" if we were to bring on a head coach that is O-oriented and align with the high scoring offensive/contemporary schemes....

Pile on your reasons why Teddy would not make the move, but give a man some hope --- we sure need it!
you're really Teddy B. aren't you?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Agree, I think he's getting fired unless he wins the next two. I'm pretty sure the powers that be think he's a whacko by now.

I'm not so sure. They're just as whacko as he is for giving an 8-17 two year HC with no previous HC experience a ridiculous contract extension.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Les Miles comes to mind (instant credibility) although who knows what P5 job he already has lined up.

Brian Kelly and Charlie Strong if they get fired. But they too might have more attractive P5 gigs ready.
Brian Kelly comes here... imediatly re-hires Diaco at DC/Associate HC lol

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I still think a Butch Jones, Weist combo would be a nice addition. After Tennessees hot start they have been struggling, Jones would be an interesting hire and he does have ties to Weist at Cincy I believe.
I've always loved Butch Jones coaching style... he's hard a hard time at Tennessee.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the board position has gone from Diaco is coming back no matter what, to he gone?

I still thinks he gets another year by default.
3 games next season unless things improve dramatically.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
What about these names???
  • Mark Stoops- Current Kentucky HC
  • Kliff Kingsbury- Current Texas Tech HC (will probably keep his job though...)
  • Mark Helfrich- Current Oregon HC
  • Butch Jones- Current Tennessee HC
  • Rich Rodriguez- Current Arizona HC

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
3 games next season unless things improve dramatically.
Then what though? We get stuck with Corley or Poindexter as interim HC for the rest of 2017?

Reaction Score
What about these names???
  • Mark Stoops- Current Kentucky HC
  • Kliff Kingsbury- Current Texas Tech HC (will probably keep his job though...)
  • Mark Helfrich- Current Oregon HC
  • Butch Jones- Current Tennessee HC
  • Rich Rodriguez- Current Arizona HC
The problem with current coaches is that they rarely take a job immediately. Usually they wait a year or two before returning. That said I would take Butch Jones in a heartbeat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Then what though? We get stuck with Corley or Poindexter as interim HC for the rest of 2017?
Yep, absent Bob having a complete meltdown or somehow voiding his contract, he'll have the start of next year to show improvement. I'm not happy about it, because it extents the nightmare that began with the stupid twins, but that's how I think that it would go down.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The problem with current coaches is that they rarely take a job immediately. Usually they wait a year or two before returning. That said I would take Butch Jones in a heartbeat.
I agree with you... Serious question, I wonder if Bo Pelini has any interest in coming back to FBS football?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Here is a name that I haven't heard in a while---what about KC Keeler?

Back in the 2000s, he had one of the best FCS programs in the country and was actually rumored to be trying to land the UConn gig back when HCRE left and we ended up with PP (I don't think JH ever really considered him). At the time, he was a God at his alma matter and basically had a lifetime deal at Delaware. I have no idea what happened at Delaware, but he somehow went from being untouchable and the face of Delaware football--to being fired a year later after a down season in 2012. I have no idea what happened there -- anyone know?

Anyway, I just looked him up on google to see what he is up to these days (since I haven't heard his name since then), and he is the now the head coach at Sam Houston St. They are currently 9-0 and ranked #1 in FCS. This year, his team is averaging over 50 PPG (have we scored 50 points this entire year????). This is his 3rd year at SHS--the first two years he made it to the National Semifinals in both years.

I am not saying that he should be our choice (as I am hoping for a bigger name, and bigger splash hire). But it is guy who was a hot name years ago and seems to be continuing his history of high performing teams. And he checks many of the boxes that others have mentioned (HC experience with success, aggressive offensive coach with a track record of powerful offenses, Northeast roots, etc). And he would probably come pretty cheap relatively speaking (may be an important factor with the Diaco buy0ut). Maybe the savings in salary for Keeler could be put towards a higher-end Defensive Coordinator?

I am certainly not advocating for Keeler--as I don't know much about him or the strange circumstances of his firing at Delaware. But he used to be a hot name and seems to still be doing well and has always had an exciting and powerful offense. Just throwing it out as his name popped into my head back from the search during the HCRE days.

Reaction Score
Here is a name that I haven't heard in a while---what about KC Keeler?

Back in the 2000s, he had one of the best FCS programs in the country and was actually rumored to be trying to land the UConn gig back when HCRE left and we ended up with PP (I don't think JH ever really considered him). At the time, he was a God at his alma matter and basically had a lifetime deal at Delaware. I have no idea what happened at Delaware, but he somehow went from being untouchable and the face of Delaware football--to being fired a year later after a down season in 2012. I have no idea what happened there -- anyone know?

Anyway, I just looked him up on google to see what he is up to these days (since I haven't heard his name since then), and he is the now the head coach at Sam Houston St. They are currently 9-0 and ranked #1 in FCS. This year, his team is averaging over 50 PPG (have we scored 50 points this entire year????). This is his 3rd year at SHS--the first two years he made it to the National Semifinals in both years.

I am not saying that he should be our choice (as I am hoping for a bigger name, and bigger splash hire). But it is guy who was a hot name years ago and seems to be continuing his history of high performing teams. And he checks many of the boxes that others have mentioned (HC experience with success, aggressive offensive coach with a track record of powerful offenses, Northeast roots, etc). And he would probably come pretty cheap relatively speaking (may be an important factor with the Diaco buy0ut). Maybe the savings in salary for Keeler could be put towards a higher-end Defensive Coordinator?

I am certainly not advocating for Keeler--as I don't know much about him or the strange circumstances of his firing at Delaware. But he used to be a hot name and seems to still be doing well and has always had an exciting and powerful offense. Just throwing it out as his name popped into my head back from the search during the HCRE days.

This is the blue print I hope we hire based off of. We tried the old guy who had past success and we tried the young coordinator from a big name school. Neither worked too well for us

Reaction Score
Throw Back Monday (from 2012). I had to laugh.
Do you really think we would have a hard time finding qualified candidates who want the job? I don't think so.

The Boneyard could probably come up with a potential interview list of 20 guys in two minutes.

Off the top of my head:
Don Brown
Tony Sparano
The Stony Brook coach
The Texas Tech offensive coordinator
Joe Moorhead
Rob Ambrose
KC Keeler
Any MAC head coach with a winning record because that route seems to work very well for Cincinnati (Kent State, Toldeo, Ball State, Western Michigan)
and if Skip Holtz is available and wants to interview he should be interviewed.

Reaction Score
He not going anywhere. We are stuck with him.

You know, it seems like it can't get any worse, but you know the old saying, just when you think it can't get any worse, that's when all hell breaks loose.

If anyone ever needed a wake up call, it's old 2-10. maybe this is the dose of self awareness he needs come out of is come.

Reaction Score
CwrNJlvWIAA5vXL.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member