Potential Replacements for Diaco | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Potential Replacements for Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was not a good recruiter...my friends played at UConn with 2 guys on his staff...he was a HORRIBLE closer who had Locksley forced on him at MD because of that issue. His bend but don't break defense had people complaining like they do now. He also had the Big East to play in which helped put people in the seats at Rentschler. He would fall flat on his face if he came back. He had a good run here, let's leave it at that and move on. You also don't make a change and do it on the cheap. If a change is to be made it is done all in. Like I said in another post..@Dooley has brought up the fact at how much UConn actually spends on football compared to others in the AAC. It's isn't even in the top 1/3. Benedict needs to get a plan and execute it...bringing back Randy Edsall isn't a good plan.

This goes to a BASIC Boneyard rant that just turns me off.

Randy Edsall did a wonderful job in a start-up Program. His defense and gameplan WAS conservative. His Recruiting - as a Start-up - might have been an overachievement. You can argue til you are Blue; I am not going to accept the idea that he wasn't a superlative HC for THAT STAGE of UConn Football.

And I am not diminishing your opinion. If he is not a guy that Season Ticket holders would back with emotion, then we aren't going to do it. I guess on that point, I agree. But ... my valid point is still there: WHO is writing a check for an unknown? OR ... a search for another Diaco or even a Matt Campbell or Doeren>?

That is the practical side of this.

Reaction Score
Agree. But the quality of Football might be better than a Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, Pitt batting order of opponents.

I think you and I agree on this. But people buy tickets on brands. Those four brands much stronger here than Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, etc.

Reaction Score
No offense Pudge but everyone here wants to see a throw the ball all over the field offense. Edsall is NOT that guy! He has had his run and bringing him back won't do it. He sucks as a closer in recruiting (why do you think he was told to hire Mike Locksley) to boot. You bring him back and this season ticket holder is out.
You don't speak for everyone. Edsall wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd or 3rd either, but he's at least shown the ability to win here. 5 bowl games, 2 conference championships, and we didn't lose to 1AA/FCS teams.

No, not everyone here wants to see a throw the ball all over the field offense. I want to see us win. I don't care what offensive strategy the coaches use. If that means we run the option like Navy, I don't care. If it means we're winning 8/9 games a year and going to bowl games, that's the offense I want to see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No one offered TJ a job after his stint here. He had a tough time landing an assistant's job.

Schiano did OK at RU. Had better access to talent than RE and still underachieved against watered down schedules no thanks.

Moorehead is having a good run at PSU, one more and he won't be looking at UConn. He isn't leaving this season.

Just because those are the three names everyone knows doesn't mean they should be considered.

The best guy is probably an unknown to most of the fans. It's Benedicts job to go find him and get him here.

None of the short list guys are lighting the world on fire.

Coordinators are unproven, lower levels are just that lower levels where geography and other factors play heavily.

Retreads may not have the fore anymore.

This is a tough job given the conference, geography, and recent history. Need a guy who can develop players and pick a few 3 star guys that go unnoticed.

RE had the right idea. Just can't bring him back.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Schiano? Oh my god we've all lost our damn minds. Cancel my season tickets if that's where we go.

We all want "Edsall level" football but he's not the guy to do it. And frankly nobody knows if he'd even be able to do it in the AAC. That is NOT a given.

I don't have anyone in mind because I don't follow the coaching ranks closely enough, but give me someone who will play aggressively in all 3 phases. Don Brown's defense, but for offense and special teams too. The idea that we can't pass or be aggressive in NE is so preposterous.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know much about Beau Baldwin? I was reading his resume and he would definitely be worth a phone call

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He is not going anywhere but if UConn went for another coach I would go to Charlie Strong as he can recruit and won at this level. He would be my choice with Brian Kelly would be choice number two

Reaction Score
He is not going anywhere but if UConn went for another coach I would go to Charlie Strong as he can recruit and won at this level. He would be my choice with Brian Kelly would be choice number two

neither of them would come here

Reaction Score
Why would you think either one would want to return? Moorhead shuffled from UConn for PP and Weist for Diaco? Uconn could have hired either one at the time. I don't believe either is pining to get back to CT.
Big increase in salary, a chance to run their own show? They already know the lay of the land and so can hit the ground running.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The last time we had a coaching hire, I wanted our budget to be around $2-$2.5M/yr. We came in at $1.5M/yr for Diaco. Furthermore, we shopped in the clearance aisle for assistants to fill out the staff. We are getting exactly what we have paid for: a mediocre football budget for mediocre football product. With the G5's leading AD budget - seriously, no G5 schools comes remotely close to our $72M AD budget - we cannot afford to continue to pinch pennies in the single most important sport to get us out of the G5. It is imperative that we increase the head coach search budget AND assistant coach budget to fill out the best possible staff. No, we are not going to pay someone Jim Harbaugh or Nick Saban money (aside: rumor has it that Phil Knight is prepared to support $10M/yr to replace Helfrich at Oregon! Yikes), but we *should* set our football coaching staff budget along the lines of Houston and Cincinnati (around $3M/yr for head coach). And no, I do not think paying a guy $3M/yr just to pay a guy $3M/yr is the right approach either (see: Tommy Tuberville). I am just saying that our football budget needs to reflect 1) commitment to football and, thus, commitment to being a P5 school; 2) scaled to match our AD budget commitment.

Below are a few names that would interest me on varying levels. My criteria:

1. offensive background. We have hired nothing but defensive coaches and have the worst offense in FBS...in an era when the rules significantly favor the offense. Not to mention, we haven't had a stout defense since Don Brown left, further adding credence to the importance of properly funding a full coaching staff. We desperately need to hire an offensive mind and then arm him with a very good DC. We need excitement back in this program for wins and ticket sales. Hiring an offensive guy is a must.

2. would favor a guy with previous head coaching experience but it's not exactly a deal-breaker for me.

3. would favor an "east coast guy" but it's not a deal-breaker for me either.

4. no older than 50 years old (yes, I know, I am completely violating age discrimination laws here). I like young college coaches since energy and enthusiasm is needed to generate excitement, recruit, and to drive/motivate 18-23 year olds on a daily basis.

I'll group my candidate list by expected salary range, in my best guess. Note: all names *should* also receive confirmation from our AD that we will pay our OC/DC in the $350-550K range, in line with bottom half of P5 schools, and pay competitive salary for various position coaches (QB, OL, DB, ST are probably most important right now) in addition to a good S&C coach to take advantage of our P5 level facilities.

The $1.5M/yr - $2M/yr candidates:

Scott Satterfield, HC, Appalachian State (current salary: 525K). Stop me if you've heard this one before: he's a coach who successfully has navigated App State from FCS (where they were very successful) to FBS. He's a former QB with an offensive background. His recruiting ties are mid-Atlantic which isn't too far of a stretch for us here. A 29-17 record in a few seasons as HC during a FBS transition is something worth considering.

Bobby Wilder, HC, Old Dominion (current salary: 550K). Like Satterfield, he has successfully overseen ODU's transition to FBS. He's a bit older than Fleck, Broh, and Satterfield, but his career coaching record of 63-30 and ties to the northeast (from Maine) are appealing. Former QB with an offensive background.

Mike Bloomgren, OC, Stanford (current salary: N/A). We could do much worse than hiring out from under the Jim Harbaugh/David Shaw tree. He's coached OL and QBs before becoming an OC. He's also coached under Rex Ryan during Ryan's Jets stint. Stanford's offense is not flashy by any means but it is the model for what UConn has tried to run (and recruited) since moving FBS. Bloomgren actually might be one of the quickest to produce results of the names on this list, given the similarities between what Stanford does and what UConn tries to do (basically, what Stanford does).

Ed Warinner, OC, Ohio State (current salary: 600K). Similar to Bloomgren, we could do much worse than hiring our from under the Urban Meyer coaching tree. Tom Herman was an instant success at Houston and the hope is that Warinner can do the same. The problem is that other schools like to hire out from Meyer too and there will likely be competition.

Mike Sanford, OC, Notre Dame (current salary: N/A). I know, I know, we didn't find great results in the last Notre Dame assistant that we hired but Sanford might be someone worth it. He has been an assistant at Stanford under Shaw and led Boise State's offense to being one of the top offenses in the country in 2015. He has coached QBs...very successfully...everywhere he's gone. Ironically, Diaco serving as his DC would be a nice combo given the bend but no break style Diaco likes and Sanford's high tempo offenses.

Joe Moorhead, OC, Penn State (current salary: N/A). A name we're all familiar with from his time here at UConn. He knows the northeast and has resurrected Penn State's offense under James Franklin this year. He also has HC experience (and very good 38-13 FCS record to boot) while at Fordham and produced immediate results in year 1 turning a 1-10 team into a 6 win team. He's familiar with UConn, our facilities, and now with proper leadership in our athletic department than when he was last here, he can produce here too.

The $2M/yr - $3M/yr candidates:

PJ Fleck - HC, Western Michigan (current salary: 800K). Negative: he's a hot name and will surely be a sought after commodity once the coaching carousel begins to spin. He's been head coach at WMU for 4 years and his career record is mediocre (17-21) but has really put it together in the last 2 seasons (year 3 and 4 at WMU). He was an Assistant at Rutgers, so he's familiar with our recruiting area. He's getting the right kids for his system at Western Michigan though and brings a good balance of offense and defense style. I'd say the chances of us hiring him are less than 15%, given the fact that I think he'll go to a P5 school. But if a lower tier P5 school gets too aggressive in salary negotiation, maybe we can come in at $2.5M/yr range and convince him to come here.

Ed Orgeron - Interim HC, LSU (current salary: $1.2M/yr). This dude has been clamoring for a HC job for years and has found success in not just one, but two, interim jobs: USC and LSU. Granted, the level of talent on the roster is night-and-day different at those places than at UConn, but the guy has proven that he can coach in adversity and keep a team together and motivated. He also comes with an outstanding reputation as a recruiter. Negative: culturally speaking, he's a southern guy that would have to adjust being in the northeast. He's actually a perfect fit at LSU - his creole tongue might only be deciphered by the fans in Baton Rouge. I'd say the odds are less than 10% that he comes here because I do think his latest interim stint will finally give him a P5 coaching opportunity somewhere. But like Fleck, if you give him an appropriate football coaching budget, I think he could do some good things here.

Jeff Brohm - HC, Western Kentucky (current salary: 800K). Like Fleck, he will garner a good amount of attention this offseason. He has a career record of 27-10 at WKU and has an offensive background and played in the NFL - something that reflects well on the recruiting trails. He's coached as an assistant under Ron Zook, Howard Schnellenberger and Bobby Petrino at various schools. Give this man the proper football funding and there is little doubt he can succeed here at UConn. I'd say our chances are less than 10% or hiring him.

Matt Rhule, HC, Temple (current salary: $1M/yr). This is pure Dooley fantasy and would be a complete G5/AAC power play for UConn to hire him away from a conference school but man, this dude can coach and coach in the northeast. He's from the northeast in our recruiting territories, played LB and coached as an OC before being a head coach. Right now, Temple is a good program to emulate. We would have to, at least, double his salary to entice him to leave. Maybe more. And he'll get looks at other openings. Fuente jumped from Memphis to Virginia Tech for $3.2M/yr. That's likely the range we're talking about. Would be expensive to buyout Diaco AND buyout Rhule AND pay him 2x or 2.5x his current salary but I'd be willing to do it for Rhule.

Lane Kiffin, OC, Alabama (current salary: $1.4M/yr). High risk hire and there is no guarantee that Kiffin wouldn't leave us out to dry if/when a different job became available, but the move could be beneficial to both parties. Why would Kiffin come here? To show P5 schools that he can be good HC after his disastrous stints at Tennessee and USC. I'm going to guess that Kiffin has picked up a thing or two under the last few years under Nick Saban. Turning UConn around would provide him a needed boost to his HC aspirations and could be a hot commodity for any opening in 2018-beyond. Why would UConn hire Kiffin? Our offense stinks and there is little to doubt Kiffin's ability to do creative things with an offense. He also comes with a "name" that casual UConn fans have heard of and *could* drive ticket sales going forward. If we are able to negotiate a fairly substantial year 1 buyout to lock in some kind of security, it could be a move that benefits both.

Josh McDaniels, OC, New England Patriots (current salary: $1.5M/yr). Incredibly highly unlikely he would leave the Patriots for UConn but perhaps he will want to take the Bill O'Brien path towards becoming a NFL head coach (again). No, UConn is not Penn State but O'Brien took that job immediately following the JoePa/Sandusky scandal, was praised for his work, and ultimately landed the Texans job. He made $2M/yr as head coach of Denver so we would have to come in over the top of that number AND commit to paying for top assistants so that McDaniels can better achieve quick results. But there is little arguing against this guy's creativity as an offensive innovator. It has even made a few seasoned NFL coaches complain about formations and then, ultimately, adopted by their team(s).

Dave Doeron, HC, NC State (current salary: $2.2M/yr). Yes, he'd need to get fired first and I'm throwing him in here since @whaler11 mentioned him, but I too would love to see UConn reach out to him should he become available. Probably wouldn't cost us as much as other candidates given his current salary, but he had success at Northern Illinois and has pulled in some decent recruiting classes. Hopefully, he could bring some of those mid-Atlantic connections to UConn.

Wildcard names* (would need to fired from current job and probably command, at minimum, $2.5M/yr but maybe more):

*These names are extreme long shots that would require a very serious financial commitment. However, if we could land a coach like any of the below, the ticket sales impact would be immediate and it would signal to the rest of the college football world that UConn is very serious in its commitment to football on a P5 level.

Rich Rodriguez, HC, Arizona (current salary: $2.9M/yr). Big name to help sell tickets immediately but would take the longest to find success, in my opinion. His fast, spread offenses require a completely different skill set of player than what we've been recruiting for the past decade or so. But the hope here is that RichRod would bring excitement back to the Rent, result in an immediate uptick in recruiting, and provide UConn with a much needed boost to its football commitment reputation.

Brian Kelly, HC, Notre Dame (current salary: base $1.6M/yr; incentives N/A). Would cost over $3M/yr and a VERY long shot given the fact that I think he would be targeted by several schools should ND fire him, but can you imagine the excitement that he'd bring? Ticket sales, fun offense, outstanding coaching tree. Would need to empty out the bank to get him.

Charlie Strong, HC, Texas (current salary: $5.2M/yr). Brian Kelly 2.0. He took the Louisville job without visiting the school or touring the facilities...maybe he'd be open to dropping down to the G5 level if we offered competitive salary. His Texas stint has been bad for Texas standards but his Louisville turnaround can't be ignored. He quickly turned around the mess left behind by Steve Kragthorpe and could be mostly responsible for Louisville being invited into the ACC. If UL football didn't turnaround, there is no chance that FSU and Clemson would back their invitation.

Jim Tressel, former HC, Ohio State. Would have to pay some of his "show clause" but it's very hard to argue against his success. He'd likely come much cheaper than the other 3 wildcards, but his show clause would be a huge detractor. If Benedict evaluates the program as one that isn't a bowl team for the next few years, then the show clause is not as damaging. It's not like we have a New Year's 6 roster or path ahead of us any time soon.

Reaction Score
I wish for mediocre...

they likely don't have the $$ to buy Diaco out, nevermind pay $2.5M per year more to anyone and hire even a established staff. Basically they are set up, at BEST, if they fire Idiaco, to be a stepping stone to a P5 type program. They can't afford to be competitive with the "powers" in the AAC, nevermind pay a staff $4M+. So basically you are going to look at young coordinators bottom tier P5 programs who will look to leave for a real job if they are successful. Think MAC type hires...

Its pretty unbelievable that Benedict gave Idiaco an extension before he saw him coach a game. That decision alone likely cost the school millions of dollars in tangible $$ and more in intangible lost revenue

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The last time we had a coaching hire, I wanted our budget to be around $2-$2.5M/yr. We came in at $1.5M/yr for Diaco. Furthermore, we shopped in the clearance aisle for assistants to fill out the staff. We are getting exactly what we have paid for: a mediocre football budget for mediocre football product. With the G5's leading AD budget - seriously, no G5 schools comes remotely close to our $72M AD budget - we cannot afford to continue to pinch pennies in the single most important sport to get us out of the G5. It is imperative that we increase the head coach search budget AND assistant coach budget to fill out the best possible staff. No, we are not going to pay someone Jim Harbaugh or Nick Saban money (aside: rumor has it that Phil Knight is prepared to support $10M/yr to replace Helfrich at Oregon! Yikes), but we *should* set our football coaching staff budget along the lines of Houston and Cincinnati (around $3M/yr for head coach). And no, I do not think paying a guy $3M/yr just to pay a guy $3M/yr is the right approach either (see: Tommy Tuberville). I am just saying that our football budget needs to reflect 1) commitment to football and, thus, commitment to being a P5 school; 2) scaled to match our AD budget commitment.

1. offensive background. We have hired nothing but defensive coaches and have the worst offense in FBS...in an era when the rules significantly favor the offense. Not to mention, we haven't had a stout defense since Don Brown left, further adding credence to the importance of properly funding a full coaching staff. We desperately need to hire an offensive mind and then arm him with a very good DC. We need excitement back in this program for wins and ticket sales. Hiring an offensive guy is a must.

2. would favor a guy with previous head coaching experience but it's not exactly a deal-breaker for me.

4. no older than 50 years old (yes, I know, I am completely violating age discrimination laws here). I like young college coaches since energy and enthusiasm is needed to generate excitement, recruit, and to drive/motivate 18-23 year olds on a daily basis.

I'll group my candidate list by expected salary range, in my best guess. Note: all names *should* also receive confirmation from our AD that we will pay our OC/DC in the $350-550K range, in line with bottom half of P5 schools, and pay competitive salary for various position coaches (QB, OL, DB, ST are probably most important right now) in addition to a good S&C coach to take advantage of our P5 level facilities.

Scott Satterfield, HC, Appalachian State (current salary: 525K). Stop me if you've heard this one before: he's a coach who successfully has navigated App State from FCS (where they were very successful) to FBS. He's a former QB with an offensive background. His recruiting ties are mid-Atlantic which isn't too far of a stretch for us here. A 29-17 record in a few seasons as HC during a FBS transition is something worth considering.

Bobby Wilder, HC, Old Dominion (current salary: 550K). Like Satterfield, he has successfully overseen ODU's transition to FBS. He's a bit older than Fleck, Broh, and Satterfield, but his career coaching record of 63-30 and ties to the northeast (from Maine) are appealing. Former QB with an offensive background.

Mike Bloomgren, OC, Stanford (current salary: N/A). We could do much worse than hiring out from under the Jim Harbaugh/David Shaw tree. He's coached OL and QBs before becoming an OC. He's also coached under Rex Ryan during Ryan's Jets stint. Stanford's offense is not flashy by any means but it is the model for what UConn has tried to run (and recruited) since moving FBS. Bloomgren actually might be one of the quickest to produce results of the names on this list, given the similarities between what Stanford does and what UConn tries to do (basically, what Stanford does).

Ed Warinner, OC, Ohio State (current salary: 600K). Similar to Bloomgren, we could do much worse than hiring our from under the Urban Meyer coaching tree. Tom Herman was an instant success at Houston and the hope is that Warinner can do the same. The problem is that other schools like to hire out from Meyer too and there will likely be competition.

Mike Sanford, OC, Notre Dame (current salary: N/A). I know, I know, we didn't find great results in the last Notre Dame assistant that we hired but Sanford might be someone worth it. He has been an assistant at Stanford under Shaw and led Boise State's offense to being one of the top offenses in the country in 2015. He has coached QBs...very successfully...everywhere he's gone. Ironically, Diaco serving as his DC would be a nice combo given the bend but no break style Diaco likes and Sanford's high tempo offenses.

Joe Moorhead, OC, Penn State (current salary: N/A). A name we're all familiar with from his time here at UConn. He knows the northeast and has resurrected Penn State's offense under James Franklin this year. He also has HC experience (and very good 38-13 FCS record to boot) while at Fordham and produced immediate results in year 1 turning a 1-10 team into a 6 win team. He's familiar with UConn, our facilities, and now with proper leadership in our athletic department than when he was last here, he can produce here too.

PJ Fleck - HC, Western Michigan (current salary: 800K). Negative: he's a hot name and will surely be a sought after commodity once the coaching carousel begins to spin. He's been head coach at WMU for 4 years and his career record is mediocre (17-21) but has really put it together in the last 2 seasons (year 3 and 4 at WMU). He was an Assistant at Rutgers, so he's familiar with our recruiting area. He's getting the right kids for his system at Western Michigan though and brings a good balance of offense and defense style. I'd say the chances of us hiring him are less than 15%, given the fact that I think he'll go to a P5 school. But if a lower tier P5 school gets too aggressive in salary negotiation, maybe we can come in at $2.5M/yr range and convince him to come here.

Ed Orgeron - Interim HC, LSU (current salary: $1.2M/yr). This dude has been clamoring for a HC job for years and has found success in not just one, but two, interim jobs: USC and LSU. Granted, the level of talent on the roster is night-and-day different at those places than at UConn, but the guy has proven that he can coach in adversity and keep a team together and motivated. He also comes with an outstanding reputation as a recruiter. Negative: culturally speaking, he's a southern guy that would have to adjust being in the northeast. He's actually a perfect fit at LSU - his creole tongue might only be deciphered by the fans in Baton Rouge. I'd say the odds are less than 10% that he comes here because I do think his latest interim stint will finally give him a P5 coaching opportunity somewhere. But like Fleck, if you give him an appropriate football coaching budget, I think he could do some good things here.

Jeff Brohm - HC, Western Kentucky (current salary: 800K). Like Fleck, he will garner a good amount of attention this offseason. He has a career record of 27-10 at WKU and has an offensive background and played in the NFL - something that reflects well on the recruiting trails. He's coached as an assistant under Ron Zook, Howard Schnellenberger and Bobby Petrino at various schools. Give this man the proper football funding and there is little doubt he can succeed here at UConn. I'd say our chances are less than 10% or hiring him.

Matt Rhule, HC, Temple (current salary: $1M/yr). This is pure Dooley fantasy and would be a complete G5/AAC power play for UConn to hire him away from a conference school but man, this dude can coach and coach in the northeast. He's from the northeast in our recruiting territories, played LB and coached as an OC before being a head coach. Right now, Temple is a good program to emulate. We would have to, at least, double his salary to entice him to leave. Maybe more. And he'll get looks at other openings. Fuente jumped from Memphis to Virginia Tech for $3.2M/yr. That's likely the range we're talking about. Would be expensive to buyout Diaco AND buyout Rhule AND pay him 2x or 2.5x his current salary but I'd be willing to do it for Rhule.

Lane Kiffin, OC, Alabama (current salary: $1.4M/yr). High risk hire and there is no guarantee that Kiffin wouldn't leave us out to dry if/when a different job became available, but the move could be beneficial to both parties. Why would Kiffin come here? To show P5 schools that he can be good HC after his disastrous stints at Tennessee and USC. I'm going to guess that Kiffin has picked up a thing or two under the last few years under Nick Saban. Turning UConn around would provide him a needed boost to his HC aspirations and could be a hot commodity for any opening in 2018-beyond. Why would UConn hire Kiffin? Our offense stinks and there is little to doubt Kiffin's ability to do creative things with an offense. He also comes with a "name" that casual UConn fans have heard of and *could* drive ticket sales going forward. If we are able to negotiate a fairly substantial year 1 buyout to lock in some kind of security, it could be a move that benefits both.

Josh McDaniels, OC, New England Patriots (current salary: $1.5M/yr). Incredibly highly unlikely he would leave the Patriots for UConn but perhaps he will want to take the Bill O'Brien path towards becoming a NFL head coach (again). No, UConn is not Penn State but O'Brien took that job immediately following the JoePa/Sandusky scandal, was praised for his work, and ultimately landed the Texans job. He made $2M/yr as head coach of Denver so we would have to come in over the top of that number AND commit to paying for top assistants so that McDaniels can better achieve quick results. But there is little arguing against this guy's creativity as an offensive innovator. It has even made a few seasoned NFL coaches complain about formations and then, ultimately, adopted by their team(s).

Dave Doeron, HC, NC State (current salary: $2.2M/yr). Yes, he'd need to get fired first and I'm throwing him in here since @whaler11 mentioned him, but I too would love to see UConn reach out to him should he become available. Probably wouldn't cost us as much as other candidates given his current salary, but he had success at Northern Illinois and has pulled in some decent recruiting classes. Hopefully, he could bring some of those mid-Atlantic connections to UConn.

Wildcard names* (would need to fired from current job and probably command, at minimum, $2.5M/yr but maybe more):

*These names are extreme long shots that would require a very serious financial commitment. However, if we could land a coach like any of the below, the ticket sales impact would be immediate and it would signal to the rest of the college football world that UConn is very serious in its commitment to football on a P5 level.

Rich Rodriguez, HC, Arizona (current salary: $2.9M/yr). Big name to help sell tickets immediately but would take the longest to find success, in my opinion. His fast, spread offenses require a completely different skill set of player than what we've been recruiting for the past decade or so. But the hope here is that RichRod would bring excitement back to the Rent, result in an immediate uptick in recruiting, and provide UConn with a much needed boost to its football commitment reputation.

Brian Kelly, HC, Notre Dame (current salary: base $1.6M/yr; incentives N/A). Would cost over $3M/yr and a VERY long shot given the fact that I think he would be targeted by several schools should ND fire him, but can you imagine the excitement that he'd bring? Ticket sales, fun offense, outstanding coaching tree. Would need to empty out the bank to get him.

Charlie Strong, HC, Texas (current salary: $5.2M/yr). Brian Kelly 2.0. He took the Louisville job without visiting the school or touring the facilities...maybe he'd be open to dropping down to the G5 level if we offered competitive salary. His Texas stint has been bad for Texas standards but his Louisville turnaround can't be ignored. He quickly turned around the mess left behind by Steve Kragthorpe and could be mostly responsible for Louisville being invited into the ACC. If UL football didn't turnaround, there is no chance that FSU and Clemson would back their invitation.

Jim Tressel, former HC, Ohio State. Would have to pay some of his "show clause" but it's very hard to argue against his success. He'd likely come much cheaper than the other 3 wildcards, but his show clause would be a huge detractor. If Benedict evaluates the program as one that isn't a bowl team for the next few years, then the show clause is not as damaging. It's not like we have a New Year's 6 roster or path ahead of us any time soon.

Well thought out, nice work.

A lot of those guys you have no chance with - Kiffin, Orgeron, Kelly, Fleck, Rhule.

Rodriguez is an interesting name though. It's not going well at Arizona and would be hard to see him get another crack at a P5 job immediately. These are the kind of names I think are what we need.

Brohm would also be a nice hire - but also seems like a stretch. I really think it needs to be someone who had moderate success and was dismissed at a higher level than an up and comer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know he has no chance and his record wouldn't excite anyone - but if I were AD I'd interview Joey Jones from South Alabama.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nobody's mentioned the last guy to have a 10 win UConn football team, and a guy who was quoted in 1997 as saying, "I would love to coach a Division 1 football team at UConn."

Currently has the 5th most profilic offense in FBS with 548 yds/game. Been to seven bowls in the past 10 years.

Makes $515,000.

Born in Willimantic: Skip Holtz.

Reaction Score

I gotta give ya a like for the research/effort... but you do have some Disney inspired fantasyland mixed in there ;) I also have no idea where some of that money being thrown around is gonna come from.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody's mentioned the last guy to have a 10 win UConn football team, and a guy who was quoted in 1997 as saying, "I would love to coach a Division 1 football team at UConn."

Currently has the 5th most profilic offense in FBS with 548 yds/game. Been to seven bowls in the past 10 years.

Makes $515,000.

His exit was actually worse than Edsall's but a good name.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
His exit was actually worse than Edsall's but a good name.

I thought he left because his mom was very sick?? Is there more to the story than that?

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking about him last night. He continues to put up big offenses everywhere he goes. He is also realistic. Brian Kelly, Charlie Strong are pie in the sky.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought he left because his mom was very sick?? Is there more to the story than that?

That was his claim. It wasn't quite as dire as he made it out to be.

He also left a legit empty roster.

Reaction Score
Wilder is 25-20 since end of 2012 season. It is probably a realistic choice...but that record is not exactly killing it down at Old Dominion. His only other coaching experience is with Maine for god sakes
At least he's been a head coach. Also, I like how he's been a part of the transition to ODU from FCS to FBS football. Lastly, his football teams score points. Only thing he'd have to do if he came here is hire a DC that has the opposite philosoph of Diaco. Let's get back to the old UConn D that has LBers making plays and DEs getting to the QB. And bump & run coverage at the CB position

Reaction Score
I know this is a pipe dream and I of course have no idea if he would even want to get into coaching (he has young kids so maybe he does not want to uproot things too much but he sure knows the road down to Bristol).... Try to get Teddy Bruschi to come here as an Ass't DC (with the promise that if he succeeds, then he becomes the DC in year 2). He could really help recruiting, knows the game inside and out, and would "will" kids to perform in a similar manner (but in a much more civil manner) like JC did for men's hoops...

What this would do is would show bigger name head coach candidates once BD is canned next year that we have a solid name at the coordinator level and can win with solid "D" if we were to bring on a head coach that is O-oriented and align with the high scoring offensive/contemporary schemes....

Pile on your reasons why Teddy would not make the move, but give a man some hope --- we sure need it!

Reaction Score
No offense Pudge but everyone here wants to see a throw the ball all over the field offense. Edsall is NOT that guy! He has had his run and bringing him back won't do it. He sucks as a closer in recruiting (why do you think he was told to hire Mike Locksley) to boot. You bring him back and this season ticket holder is out.

No one offered TJ a job after his stint here. He had a tough time landing an assistant's job.

Schiano did OK at RU. Had better access to talent than RE and still underachieved against watered down schedules no thanks.

Moorehead is having a good run at PSU, one more and he won't be looking at UConn. He isn't leaving this season.

Just because those are the three names everyone knows doesn't mean they should be considered.

The best guy is probably an unknown to most of the fans. It's Benedicts job to go find him and get him here.

None of the short list guys are lighting the world on fire.

Coordinators are unproven, lower levels are just that lower levels where geography and other factors play heavily.

Retreads may not have the fore anymore.

This is a tough job given the conference, geography, and recent history. Need a guy who can develop players and pick a few 3 star guys that go unnoticed.

RE had the right idea. Just can't bring him back.

No slander toward anyone here, agree with both these posts. For all those crying out to bring back Randy it is the same as those that praised the hiring of PP. Should HC BD continue his coaching death spiral it is financially obvious we have to wait it out. When it reaches the point Benedict has to cut bait, there is NO WAY he can hire someone going down the ladder rather than up!

Reaction Score

Makes $515,000.

Bring Skip back home. Ideal fit ironically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom