Potential DC candidates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Potential DC candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Anyone know if these 2014 kids can bail and come to us? Ridiculous class for UVA, especially on D. the #1 Safety has UConn offer.

Based on my understanding, if they haven't signed a letter of intent (LOI), then a verbal commitment does not hold them to any institution. They can flip if they want, much in the way that Boyle flipped to UConn from BC...

EDIT: I guess they are referring to the letters as NLI's now (National Letter of Intent). Same principle though. Flip 'em, Coach Poindexter!!!

Reaction Score
Actually remember Poindexter from his playing days. Was he at UVA the same time as Terry Kirby? As I get closer to 40, I'm like damn, been watching CFB a long

I remember him as well. Ultra-athletic, ultra-talented. Lost it all on a knee injury in college.

Reaction Score
Me too, but this guy seems like a good hire as well, with the limited info I have:

http://www.streakingthelawn.com/2013/2/6/3959904/virginia-recruiter-of-the-year-anthony-poindexter

I like this:

Poindexter has long had a reputation as not only one of the best recruiters in the area, but in the conference and nation as well.

If he is the DC it does make sense. He's an experienced defensive coach who can recruit. I would imagine Diaco will be implementing his defense and he needed a teacher type coach to teach the defense.

I guess it could be compared to a Cummings at CMU. I expect Diaco to be very involved in the defense and Poindexter will be learning on the fly and eventually have full control of the defense.

With Patterson on board as an Associate HC (correct?) and QB's coach, along with many years as a HC, I expect Diaco will put a lot of responsibilities in his lap to free Diaco up for the defense.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Is it just me or are we getting a lot of recruiters in ACC territories? :p

More importantly, we are getting a lot of recruiters in states that I think UConn can be successful. We know we can have impact in Virginia with the right recruiters (Nebrich, Bennett, etc.). Based on my elementary math, we have now doubled up coaches in the mid-Atlantic (VA/MD), doubled up in Alabama/Georgia/Florida, doubled up in NY/NJ, and have one for PA/OH/IL and one for New England. These are the areas where UConn can really capitalize on, so I'm really happy with what I'm seeing!

EDIT: We've also doubled up in Massachusetts, because Diaco has done a fair amount of recruiting there himself, along with Foley.

Reaction Score
We are getting a bunch of recruiting coordinators. I did some research and see that they over see all the recruits, setting up visits, keeping track of coaching visits, calls, etc.

Besides being very organized and knowing all of the recruits, what talent makes them a good get for us? Do you have to be a good recruiter to hold this position? Because if that's the case we have a boat load of good recruiters.

Reaction Score
Hmmm.., from a 2009 article about Groh coaching changes: "Running backs coach Anthony Poindexter moved to the secondary and ex-receivers coach Wayne Lineburg took over the running backs.".

Follow the coaching tree... Fry, Groh, Kelly...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We are getting a bunch of recruiting coordinators. I did some research and see that they over see all the recruits, setting up visits, keeping track of coaching visits, calls, etc.

Besides being very organized and knowing all of the recruits, what talent makes them a good get for us? Do you have to be a good recruiter to hold this position? Because if that's the case we have a boat load of good recruiters.

Mostly it means they are known to HS coaches and administrators. FB recruiting still heavily involves coaches and schools- unlike baketball which is summer ball, AAU and street agents.

Reaction Score
For a little info, Poindexter was paid $221,000 this past season and was scheduled to have the same + 4100 extra comp (plus potential 18k bonus) this upcoming season at VA. I'll be interested to see (for no other reason than just general curiosity about our level of spending and whether people jumped a bit for money or advancement) what we'll be paying for our assistants/co's. TJ made $250k as OC (plus potential 41k bonus), so I'd think we'd be putting out 275-300 for our co's, plus whatever bonus there may be.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

They'll have tons of contacts with HS coaches, players etc. in those areas.

Sometimes getting in first with a talented player can go a long way. Hopefully, their contacts will help them do this.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Same person who broke the Poindexter to UConn rumor is now saying DL Coach Vince Brown is also coming!

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brown_vincent00.html

7 year NFL experience w/ Pats

Another recruiter in the Georgia area! He also covered North Carolina and some of south Virginia. Concentrating our efforts on the eastern seaboard, which IMHO, is the right thing to do. Exciting times to be a Husky fan!

EDIT: If I would have read his bio properly, it would have become clear to me why he is so strong in Georgia recruiting. The dude is from Atlanta... :confused:

Reaction Score
Vincent Brown is awesome. His nickname: "The Undertaker." Very underrated NFL player. Solid. Played on bad Patriots teams. Should have been a perennial Pro Bowler if he didn't play for the bad Patriots.

Reaction Score
Vincent Brown is awesome. His nickname: "The Undertaker." Very underrated NFL player. Solid. Played on bad Patriots teams. Should have been a perennial Pro Bowler if he didn't play for the bad Patriots.
haha! Remember him well. Was a standout on some bad Pats teams from the Scott Zolak era.

One my favorite pats along with Andre Tippet, Lawyer Milloy, and Tom Terrific.

Reaction Score
Wow, Diaco ain't playing around. This looks like a solid staff he is putting together. Young and old, experience and exuberance. Sound like dynamite recruiters. Lets Go!

Reaction Score
Big recruiter in the mid-Atlantic states (VA, MD), if true. He's responsible for landing the #1 safety in the country for UVA:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Quin-Blanding-126198

This kid had offers from us and ND. I expect him to decommit from UVA and join us. :cool:

Anyone know if these 2014 kids can bail and come to us? Ridiculous class for UVA, especially on D. the #1 Safety has UConn offer.

From the UVA 247 forum in response to a question if the coaching moves would impact recruiting:

"I can and will not up vote in this thread. I personally don't want to see him go. Who is to say that the new coaching staff wouldn't hire him also. Geez, this is the worst news of the day. Diaco and Dex would r_pe us of some talent. Can't believe I'm so pissed over this. But hey, I would also understand if he chooses to go. It is a jump up for him. I just think our program needs him right now."

Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
From the UVA 247 forum in response to a question if the coaching moves would impact recruiting:

"I can and will not up vote in this thread. I personally don't want to see him go. Who is to say that the new coaching staff wouldn't hire him also. Geez, this is the worst news of the day. Diaco and Dex would r_pe us of some talent. Can't believe I'm so pissed over this. But hey, I would also understand if he chooses to go. It is a jump up for him. I just think our program needs him right now."

Wonder how they feel about Vincent Brown potentially leaving also...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I love how the reaction to almost all of these hires is : Awww man I hate to see him go! No better way to leave a place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom