Potential Big Ten/Big East Basketball Challenge | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Potential Big Ten/Big East Basketball Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still can't believe you guys dismiss it. Fees jumped from $1.45 to $2.50 with the addition of UConn. You act like that's nothing. NOT to mention the fees landed SNY on Basic. Not to mention the fact that additional cable systems picked itup. When you get 8+ ratings for bball and .4 for Mets, what the hell do you think people are paying for? Do you know anything about Conn. and the popularity of the Mets? We went through this before in the last thread. My God, what the hell is wrong with you people? The most hard-headed people out there.

Why did UConn sell its rights to the BE? Because it didn't want to join the MAC?

You ask the weirdest questions. Why is Michigan sharing with Northwestern?

SNY's negotiations were done NYC metro wide - the carriage rate increases were based on primarily the Mets popularity and the rise of RSNs in general.

Do I believe UConn played a part in expanding coverage in Conn? Yes - but if it wasn't bundled with SNY it would've been a much cheaper channel.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Mets' popularity? You're not from around here, are you?

You can't sell the Mets in Connecticut.

UConn ratings on the network were strong enough to convince SNY to launch a specific feed for the state. It preempts the New York coverage with UConn sports whenever possible.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You don't have a particularly good grasp of either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is no compelling financial reason for the Big Ten, ACC or Big 12 to proactively expand right now, so every single wart is going to be hyper-analyzed even more than the last 3 years. This isn't the time to make excuses - instead, it's the time to correct every single possible negative mark that can be used against you (or else you could be sitting here 5 years from now looking at Cincinnati and Tulane leaving the AAC instead of you - THAT's what should motivate UConn more than anything).

Another golden nugget that should be posted in the AD's office. Maybe we can get Pacino to record it, like Any Given Sunday.

Reaction Score
SNY's negotiations were done NYC metro wide - the carriage rate increases were based on primarily the Mets popularity and the rise of RSNs in general.

Do I believe UConn played a part in expanding coverage in Conn? Yes - but if it wasn't bundled with SNY it would've been a much cheaper channel.

For Time Warner Cable in upstate NY, the combined price of two TW owned properties (such as Boomerang) and SportsNetNY was $2, considerably below the NYC carriage rate. Why should Connecticut be any different than Albany? Hartford is as far from NYC as Albany, and it's not even in the same state. So explain to me why Albany gets it at a cut rate but Hartford pays NYC prices? Heck, forget Hartford, why is new London paying the NYC price?

Reaction Score
No, I have not read all the articles and really don't claim to know what went on behind the scenes as the B1G and ACC made their decisions. My guess is that very few people do and for the most part they do not post on internet boards. You can cite all the data you want about how valuable UConn is, I for one don't doubt the data you post, however value seems to be very much in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure all of your data was available to the B1G and ACC. To date we are still in the AAC looking in from the cold. Is it because there exists a vast conspiracy to harm UConn , (ESPN, BC, Cuse, Pitt, FSU.....etc.), left over questions from the legal action following the original ACC raid, or because at least to date other schools have been perceived as more value? I guess we can all make up our own minds.

I mean, these questions you're asking have been asked a thousand times on this board, and answered. No mysteries. A few years ago, we heard UConn was the number 1 target of the ACC. I've never even gotten into the B1G issue because of the AAU thing, but for the ACC? The articles are out there. It's not a conspiracy, it's not a mystery. You don't need to do much digging to understand what went down with BC and its implications. The ACC and ESPN were totally exposed by BC's big gamble, and BC earned no friends because of what it did. ND and UConn were supposed to go in. Then we know what happened when Florida St went crazy for Louisville--they threatened UNC, and the day after UNC's president even made an embarrassing comment about how academics had nothing to do with the decision. Nothing is a conspiracy, nothing is a mystery. People keep saying this but it's not true.

Reaction Score
I mean, these questions you're asking have been asked a thousand times on this board, and answered. No mysteries. A few years ago, we heard UConn was the number 1 target of the ACC. I've never even gotten into the B1G issue because of the AAU thing, but for the ACC? The articles are out there. It's not a conspiracy, it's not a mystery. You don't need to do much digging to understand what went down with BC and its implications. The ACC and ESPN were totally exposed by BC's big gamble, and BC earned no friends because of what it did. ND and UConn were supposed to go in. Then we know what happened when Florida St went crazy for Louisville--they threatened UNC, and the day after UNC's president even made an embarrassing comment about how academics had nothing to do with the decision. Nothing is a conspiracy, nothing is a mystery. People keep saying this but it's not true.[/quote

I am resolved that UConn is not going to the ACC or the B1G.
anytime soon.
Although I believe our addition to either would be viewed as brilliant in 5 years. You would have to be on crack to think there are other options like the B12. If some former big east schools were in play it could have bern a remote possibility. That ship is long gone.

The long term implications of staying in the AAC will be detrimental to our basketball program. Almost every school in the AAC is looking to get out. So its view more like a bus stop than destination.
Why not stay in the AAC for football and with Temple Cinn. is a likely B12. addition. join an established eastern basketball conference.
The NBE is out as they want nothing to do with public schools.
The A10 with UCONN and Temple would be a top conference.
Our current situation is a slow death.
The AAC can not possibly last 5 more years.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why not stay in the AAC for football and with Temple Cinn. is a likely B12. addition. join an established eastern basketball conference.
The NBE is out as they want nothing to do with public schools.
The A10 with UCONN and Temple would be a top conference.

Holy f---.

Where'd we find this genius?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, I have not read all the articles and really don't claim to know what went on behind the scenes as the B1G and ACC made their decisions. My guess is that very few people do and for the most part they do not post on internet boards. You can cite all the data you want about how valuable UConn is, I for one don't doubt the data you post, however value seems to be very much in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure all of your data was available to the B1G and ACC. To date we are still in the AAC looking in from the cold. Is it because there exists a vast conspiracy to harm UConn , (ESPN, BC, Cuse, Pitt, FSU.....etc.), left over questions from the legal action following the original ACC raid, or because at least to date other schools have been perceived as more value? I guess we can all make up our own minds.

Forget the Big Ten - that was never on the table.

The ACC was a mix of bad luck, bad timing, some hard feelings and a healthy dose of spite. But in the end, it might have come down to our hiring a lethargic Coach P and UL hiring the dude who hired the dude who owned Teddy Bridgewater and the rest of south Florida.

In retrospect, despite the thousands and thousands and thousands of words of advice we've endured from our visitors, the best thing we could have done post-Edsall was shade a few corners or throw big bucks at a fallen angel like Petrino or Leach or a fourth or fifth Stoops brother.

Reaction Score
Holy f---.

Where'd we find this genius?
Thanks for the compliment coming from you It means so much.
The antithesis of genius is unreasoned solutionless blind criticism.
Something at which you seem to excel
At least my genius is borne from the frustration of our current predictiment. What is your pathetic excuse.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Forget the Big Ten - that was never on the table.

The ACC was a mix of bad luck, bad timing, some hard feelings and a healthy dose of spite. But in the end, it might have come down to our hiring a lethargic Coach P and UL hiring the dude who hired the dude who owned Teddy Bridgewater and the rest of south Florida.

In retrospect, despite the thousands and thousands and thousands of words of advice we've endured from our visitors, the best thing we could have done post-Edsall was shade a few corners or throw big bucks at a fallen angel like Petrino or Leach or a fourth or fifth Stoops brother.
Interesting that the story didn't look very hard at why Clint Hurtt is such a great recruiter. And how the hell UL could steal him away from the U. I hope the Ville is a poison pill the ACC is going to regret for years to come. It will beat them at basketball and flirt with the death penalty in football. The U has been nothing but an embarrassment since joining the ACC, have some more where that came from.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I can't believe you're still pushing the whole carriage fees angle. You're totally ignoring the pro teams that are on SNY and acting as if UConn is driving the entire $2.55 /subscriber value. If you really want to make that claim I guess you should add FSD(Fox Sports Detroit) to BTN since there's some T3 Michigan content there too :rolleyes:

If UConn content is such a slam dunk why did you guys sell out the licensing rights to SNY (I can't find the exact numbers on-line) and then divide that money equally to all Big East conference members that stabbed you in the back?

SNY was not in the majority of Connecticut before taking on UCONN football and basketball. So yes UCONN did improve SNY reach into Connecticut greatly.

Reaction Score
Why is it so difficult for some here to accept the fact that Frank is right on a lot of his points. We are not so obvious a choice as we would like to believe. I have said it many times in the past, the perception of UConn outside of CT is not overwhelming. If we were as strong as some think we would have been taken by either the B1G or ACC by now. If BC was able to stop us when it came down to us or Pitt it is because most ACC schools did not see much of a difference between us and Pitt. The fact that we see a vast difference does not matter. If the B1G took RU over us it is because the majority of schools there thought they were a better pick. No amount of complaining about the fact that "they don't bring the NYC market" matters. RU was considered a better choice by the B1G. This may bother a lot of us but, there it is. UConn needs to improve FB fast while maintaining MBB (WBB does not matter) and then hopefully the perception will change.
Nobody knows why uconn is left out. Connect the dots all you want but that doesn't mean you are presenting facts.
Listening to someone repeatedly state opinion as if they were facts gets annoying.

Uconn needs to win and get in the national discussion, just like Utah, Boise, and tcu. I think Boise is in a similar situation where they've earned the right to be in the big boy discussion but because of location have limited choices or are considered a safety option for a conference should thing fall apart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you pointing out these metrics. For all of the hype of the ACC, the Big Ten has led the nation in *basketball* attendance for over 30 years *straight*. I will be the first to admit that the Big Ten has some real football programs demographically, but there's a quite a bit of East Coast bias going on here when looking at the Big Ten (or for that matter, the strength of a school like Kansas and what they mean nationally) in terms of basketball, where the branding of the ACC (outside of Duke and UNC, who are absolutely 2 massive national draws) and old Big East schools is overrated and the intensity, tradition and recruiting areas of the Midwestern schools are simultaneously getting underrated here. Indiana, even in the depths of their horrid stretch in the Sampson/Crean transition, still sold out 17,000 seats per game WIN OR LOSE. And to be clear, I hate those guys, but I'm not ever going to question their loyalty (which in turn allows them to have the financial resources to get back to national power status relatively quickly). Wisconsin sells out 18,000 seats per game win or lose. Ohio State is doing the same win or lose (and they're the ultimate "football" school). Can UConn say that with its *basketball* attendance? I know that they can't because I see threads on here complaining about it (and this is a UConn fan group). Schools like Georgetown are even farther from that standard despite their brand name. That's what I mean by pointing out how there's a pretty massive difference in how people follow power schools outside of the Northeast that I still don't think a lot of people here quite understand.
UConn was selling out pretty much every game in the 90's (for both men's and woman's basketball) until three factors took the bloom off the rose a bit. The first was some poor ticket pricing and seat assignment policies and the second was the availability of every game on tv, and the third was the emergence of low cost big flat screen TV's which give a decent viewing experience.

It's an interesting question Frank. Just to continue it for the programs you've listed what are the ticket prices? What is there total revenue from attendance? Over 10k Connecticut fans consistently pay $25 per game (any seat one price) to watch the woman's team stomp an opponent. It's tough to question the depth of brand loyalty here.

Reaction Score
UConn was selling out pretty much every game in the 90's (for both men's and woman's basketball) until three factors took the bloom off the rose a bit. The first was some poor ticket pricing and seat assignment policies and the second was the availability of every game on tv, and the third was the emergence of low cost big flat screen TV's which give a decent viewing experience.

It's an interesting question Frank. Just to continue it for the programs you've listed what are the ticket prices? What is there total revenue from attendance? Over 10k Connecticut fans consistently pay $25 per game (any seat one price) to watch the woman's team stomp an opponent. It's tough to question the depth of brand loyalty here.

I don't know who is right about this question about tix in the 1990s, but when I checked UConn's ticket sales for the last few decades, the top drawing year was 2006 (probably UConn's most talented team), and the draw was an average of 14k.

The 1990s are where we are now, 12,600 to 13,000. But with UConn, given the play between Hartford and Gampel (capacity 10,000) it's hard to say what is or isn't a sell out. An average of 14k could mean total sellouts in 2006. Or, when Gampel was at 8,000 in the 1990s, 12k-13k could also mean sellouts. It's hard to say.

I don't think we should be so concerned wither about 1k-2k fewer fans either when the bigger problems are the premium seating in the most visible areas. Game after game, we have posters here sitting up top where it's very loud, only to see people sipping champagne down below. Perkins instituted the same policies at Kansas when he left Uconn, he kicked one of Phog's grandchildren out of his courtside seats, and there was fury in Lawrence.

UConn could easily replicate what Duke does at Cameron, but there would be an expense to pay.

Reaction Score
Wow - I completely disagree with this. The ACC is the best basketball conference overall, but I don't think that there's any "fear" of ACC basketball whatsoever. Outside of the basketball blue bloods like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky and UCLA, the best way to fund your basketball program is to have the most football money coming in possible. (See Ohio State, Michigan, and Florida as prime examples.) To the extent that there's "fear" on the part of the Big Ten, it's that they will be continuously fighting an uphill battle football-wise because so many of the top recruits come from the South (and specifically the SEC footprint). On the other hand, the Big Ten's footprint is probably the best pound-for-pound basketball recruiting territory of any power conference - see Chicago, Indiana, NY/NJ, Maryland/DC, etc. There is absolutely nothing structurally that prevents the Big Ten from competing at the highest level in basketball (regardless of how the ACC performs going forward), whereas there are very real and concrete demographic reasons why the Big Ten isn't getting the best football recruits.

At the same time, while football and basketball both require some type of combo of macro institutional strength and micro individual coaching, football prowess is much more dependent upon the institution (which is why how you invest is football matters so much more than any other sport), while basketball prowess is more dependent upon the individual coach. When push comes to shove, football recruits *generally* choose the institution over the coach, but basketball recruits *generally* choose the coach over the institution. (It's not 100% of the time since every individual kid is different in his decision-making, but that's how it generally bears out.) That's another reason why virtually no basketball program other the 6 blue bloods that I've mentioned really carry any weight in conference realignment - basketball is very much a coach-centric "What have you done for me lately?" sport, while football is all about long-term brand names that you can lock in and know will be able to provide value 10 or 20 years from now. Basketball branding simply doesn't get you very far unless you're a Duke/UNC/Kansas-type since it's a MUCH more fickle sport.

So, there's some real football fear on the part of the Big Ten - that's where the money is made and there are real demographic issues that are causing them to fall behind the SEC. There's absolutely NONE of that fear in basketball. If the Big Ten wanted some better basketball programs while still heading east and keeping with their academic requirements, they could have added Syracuse (at least back when they were still an AAU member) and Pitt in a heartbeat, but passed them over. Getting access to football recruits in New Jersey and Maryland was much more important in terms of the on-the-field/court aspect of these decisions (beyond TV markets and academics), with a side benefit that those are actually excellent basketball recruiting areas, to boot.

And look - I'm personally a hoops guy at heart. Frankly, I wish that the Big Ten did consider basketball more than it does in conference realignment (I actually argued for Syracuse as team #12 in the Big Ten back in the mid-2000s prior to anyone thinking about conference realignment), but that's just not how they're thinking. Basketball matters a little bit more to the Big Ten compared to other leagues because it provides BTN content, but football is still the massive golden goose by comparison (and it isn't even close).

Clueless.

Basketball can be, as we know, ONE COACH. Football $$ only take you so far. One Coach, like Calhoun, then sustained with a solid follow-up ... and WE ARE a Blue Blood.

I think this Football centric viewpoint takes you far. Then you have to fill lots of hours. Contrary to what we have seen to date, OUR solid AD with the Name WBB matters ... plus excellence across sports (top Soccer, Baseball, etc). UConn can bring eyeballs. I think anyone suggesting Syracuse ... or Pitt ... misses the idea that you can grow this UConn brand and market far more than either of those. I think Syracuse is a huge illusion; it's really a CNY townie place with limited NYC buzz(even with the billboards and taxis). Rutgers? Some substance with a whole lot of hhooohhhaahh. We are valuable. And in Hoop ... we are going to be good for the foreseeable future, imo, because Kevin Ollie was a superb pick. Beilein. Matta. Crean. Izzo. Can you see Groce or Jordan or Turgeon or little Pitino ... near Ollie. Football dollars got Penn State how far?

Reaction Score
actually Frank, the only thing that is obvious in CR is what has already happened.
nobody has been ahead of the curve until it's basically public knowledge.

So while you can look at the fact that uconn is on the outside looking in, you can't definitively speak of the reasons. And you certainly haven't proven to be ahead of any other source regarding potential moves. Right after ND agreed to terms with the ACC, the so called experts all suggested realignment was done. Now you speak as though your facts are the gospel and uconn fans are engaging in 'puffery'?

I appreciate your facts, and welcome your input. However, when you come here, it would also be helpful that you understand this is in fact a uconn board, and that most people here are biased towards uconn while others are simply self-hating husky fans. the real puffery is your presentation of assumptions, opinions, and loosely based facts as expertise and an ability to determine what's going to happen next.
drops mic!

Reaction Score
Interesting that the story didn't look very hard at why Clint Hurtt is such a great recruiter. And how the hell UL could steal him away from the U. I hope the Ville is a poison pill the ACC is going to regret for years to come. It will beat them at basketball and flirt with the death penalty in football. The U has been nothing but an embarrassment since joining the ACC, have some more where that came from.
That's the funniest thing I've read all day. Whether or not Hurtt is or isn't found guilty is no concern of mine. He has never been accused of any wrongdoing while at Louisville. You can wish upon a star all you like but the NCAA isn't bothering us anytime soon.

Speaking of which, didn't UConn have a postseason ban in basketball last year?

Reaction Score
That's the funniest thing I've read all day. Whether or not Hurtt is or isn't found guilty is no concern of mine. He has never been accused of any wrongdoing while at Louisville. You can wish upon a star all you like but the NCAA isn't bothering us anytime soon.

Speaking of which, didn't UConn have a postseason ban in basketball last year?

For APR scores. Something Ville football fell afoul of the previous year.

Reaction Score
For APR scores. Something Ville football fell afoul of the previous year.
That was Kragthorpe's doing, actually. He ran off so many players it killed the APR, and relied on jucos and transfers to fill the holes, some of whom never made it to campus. And even then, we only had a few scholarships reduced. We've never had a postseason ban to my knowledge.

Reaction Score
That was Kragthorpe's doing, actually. He ran off so many players it killed the APR, and relied on jucos and transfers to fill the holes, some of whom never made it to campus. And even then, we only had a few scholarships reduced. We've never had a postseason ban to my knowledge.

You do realize that the rules were enforced retroactively on UConn, no? The only difference between UConn and Louisville when it comes to the APR is that the NCAA chose to enforce the ban one year and not the other. It's not like UConn did anything worse than Ville or Syracuse or many other schools for that matter. Heck, a school like Arkansas had an abysmal score, well below UConn's, but the NCAA gave it a waver because it improved its 2-year score a year later. UConn did the same thing but its appeal for a waiver was denied.

Reaction Score
Not quite true - the rules applied retroactively to all schools.

However under the new rules UConn didn't meet the 2 year 930 average to avoid a ban while Arkansas did. You are correct in the 4-year averages between the two were almost the same though.

Louisville never averaged below a 4-year 900 score which is why they avoided a ban.

Reaction Score
Not quite true - the rules applied retroactively to all schools.

However under the new rules UConn didn't meet the 2 year 930 average to avoid a ban while Arkansas did. You are correct in the 4-year averages between the two were almost the same though.

Louisville never averaged below a 4-year 900 score which is why they avoided a ban.

Arkansas received a waiver.
Ville dipped below the previous year.
We say the rules were applied retroactively because UConn was the only school the rule change targeted. If the 2 year average were not gradually lowered, more schools would have been banned. Besides, they changed the rule and applied the ban before anything could be done about it, and though they gave teams waivers in previous years for improving, they didn't give teams waivers for that in a year they applied the ban retroactively. The thing was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom