Potential 2019 Grad Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Potential 2019 Grad Transfers

Reaction Score
Maybe not 4 guys, but definitely 3 IMO. 1) Big man. A 6/8/2 guy, minimum; 2) Anyone who can guard athletic 4s with size. We're too easily exposed by the Cook's of the world; 3) Knock down 3 point shooter around 6'6.; 4) A grad transfer guard. Can't rely on Gaffney year 1. Someone to help out Alterique at the 1.
I think a best case scenario would be 5 freshman (including 1 of Wahab or Mitchell), and then two transfers in some fashion, preferably grad transfers. Have to imagine at least two guys get shown the door after the season

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Find me a center who can rebound and alter a shot at the basket

Reaction Score
I will make sure coach sees this thread and starts kicking the tires on some of these kids.

Hey @HanDurley get in here. Oh wait, he probably didn’t want me to reveal his secret identity.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'd love to bring in a freshman class of 6 but who else are we linked to for 2019? Can Richie springs reclass to '19? Staff will need to get creative.
I disagree about ever bringing in 6 freshmen. 5 is the absolute max. Ideally we get 4 freshman and a big man grad transfer. Carlton and even a frosh Wahab is not enough for the Center position.
If another schollie opens for some reason, I would go for another transfer/grad transfer so we can go hunting for a big 2020 class.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how his relationship ended up with Bobby Hurley when he left ASU, and the kid is definitely a head case, but it's probably worth mentioning that former 5* Carlton Bragg will also be eligible to grad transfer. Highly doubt he's the type of kid who Dan Hurley would want though.
He’s on New Mexico now, averaging 10/8.

Reaction Score
I disagree about ever bringing in 6 freshmen. 5 is the absolute max. Ideally we get 4 freshman and a big man grad transfer. Carlton and even a frosh Wahab is not enough for the Center position.
If another schollie opens for some reason, I would go for another transfer/grad transfer so we can go hunting for a big 2020 class.
Why is 5 the absolute max? Two of our best classes ever were 7 players and 8 players.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's about a number but about finding the best talent we can. If that's 7 freshman then so be it.

Reaction Score
i love the optimism here i really do

while there isn't a magic number of freshmen the program should bring in, i do think that at this point in the game we'll be fortunate to get one more 4 star type guy in mitchell or wahab. that'll put the number of freshmen at 4 (including akok).

if you wanna get 5-6 freshmen who else are we talking about? i haven't heard us as being involved with any other top 150 guys so we'd be scrambling to add two more brendan adams types to the end of the rotation like hurley did last year. i'd rather have one of the grad transfers mentioned above that can step right in and contribute.

having said that, don't the most highly sought after grad transfers view it as their last shot at winning a championship? reid travis is the best example from this season

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will make sure coach sees this thread and starts kicking the tires on some of these kids.

Hey @HanDurley get in here. Oh wait, he probably didn’t want me to reveal his secret identity.
Damn was it that obvious? I don't use the Instagram, but I have twittered a few big men grad transfers as soon as I realized Josh was incapable of dunking the basketball. Safe to say it's been an early process, but the future is bright.

Reaction Score
Nico Carvacho is definately the best of the bunch. Can extend and shoot the 3 and is a beast on the boards.
He's going to be in high demand if he does decide to grad transfer. Watched the beginning of that UNLV game and he was just unstoppable.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That may be, but with a regular transfer, you absolutely have to nail it or you waste multiple years.

You can say the same about any incoming high schooler. If you don't nail it, your out of luck. You actually have a better shot of assessing a transfer, because you've seen him in action at the college level.

Guys transfer for a million reasons these days, whereas there might have been red flags to be aware of 20 years ago.

EOD, you can the best players you can, from where ever you can.
It doesn't matter. There's no formula.

KO flubbed the regular transfer market horrifically. He actually did OK with the grad transfers (Kromah, Miller, Gibbs) until Onuorah and Anderson, who were atrocious.
I'm not categorically opposed to regular transfers, but perhaps a bit gun-shy after recent experience. A grad transfer is lower risk.

Why does it matter what KO did? This is Hurley now. Tabula Rasa. The name on the jersey doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is everyone so quick to forget about the top recruit we are after? Precious. We should be all in on Wahab and him right now. Those two are better than looking for grad transfers.

Reaction Score
Why is everyone so quick to forget about the top recruit we are after? Precious. We should be all in on Wahab and him right now. Those two are better than looking for grad transfers.
There's a slim to none chance we get Precious now that the big boys are involved.

Reaction Score
i love the optimism here i really do

while there isn't a magic number of freshmen the program should bring in, i do think that at this point in the game we'll be fortunate to get one more 4 star type guy in mitchell or wahab. that'll put the number of freshmen at 4 (i'm including akok).

if you wanna get 5-6 freshmen who else are we talking about? i haven't heard us as being involved with any other top 150 guys so we'd be scrambling to add two more brendan adams types to the end of the rotation like hurley did last year. i'd rather have one of the grad transfers mentioned above that can step right in and contribute.

having said that, don't the most highly sought after grad transfers view it as their last shot at winning a championship? reid travis is the best example from this season
There will certainly be more than 4 new players next season.

Reaction Score
There will certainly be more than 4 new players next season.

agreed i think 4 freshmen plus a grad transfer is most likely and logical. do you mean more than 4 freshmen? if so feel free to throw some names around

maybe my take on grad transfers wasn't clear- i hope we do get one, just not confident he'll be on the reid travis/nico carvacho level assuming he wants to win a chip next year

Last edited:
Reaction Score
agreed i think 4 freshmen plus a grad transfer is most likely and logical. do you mean more than 4 freshmen? if so feel free to throw some names around
No, just that we will have more than 4 new players next year. We have 5 scholarships ( 3 filled) and I think Hurley will tell a couple of kids there are better opportunities for them elsewhere.

Reaction Score
There's a slim to none chance we get Precious now that the big boys are involved.

Lol, that isn't a reason to give up on a recruit. UNC is the only new school that's jumped in, obviously they will be tough to beat, but I wouldn't say there isn't a chance.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Lol, that isn't a reason to give up on a recruit. UNC is the only new school that's jumped in, obviously they will be tough to beat, but I wouldn't say there isn't a chance.

If we can lose a recruit to Illinois, I can only imagine the one and done Prescious is a lock for UNC or any other blue blood.

Reaction Score
No, just that we will have more than 4 new players next year. We have 5 scholarships ( 3 filled) and I think Hurley will tell a couple of kids there are better opportunities for them elsewhere.
It’s unfortunate but I really hope this is the case. Too many frontcourt scholarships tied up to unproductive players.

Reaction Score
Where did I say the staff should stop recruiting him? You asked why we're all forgetting about Precious and talking about grad transfers. The answer is that he's almost certainly not coming here so we're discussing a more likely source of talent infusion for next year.

Reaction Score
To be honest, while people complain about the grad transfers and stop-gap solutions (and they're right), the regular transfers have been a bigger disappointment.

Purvis -- great kid, wildly overrated basketball skills coming out of high school and exposed (despite some fans' heads in the sand) at NC State; I don't blame him for KO's idiotic "Ferrari" comment

Larrier -- virtually the same story, minus the likability and desire to be here

Sid Wilson has a long way to go in his career but has not been impressive at all.

Grad transfers aren't usually counted on as centerpieces, and they only use a scholarship for 1 year. Regular transfers hamstring you even before they can step on the court, and if you're expecting big things from them, can leave you scrambling when they don't pan out.

You cannot even compare Rodney to Larrier, ridiculous. And while I agree partially on Sid way too early to even come up with that.

Reaction Score

Difference is precious doesn't need to be so concerned with $$$ like Kofi and his "mentor"

He's a surefire lottery guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom