Potential 2019 Grad Transfers | The Boneyard

Potential 2019 Grad Transfers

Reaction Score
After missing out on Kofi, there seems to be a decent chance we'll be in the grad transfer market for a big again. Figured I'd start the list.

Steven Enoch - Louisville - Averaging 8.6pts/4.7rebs in 19 mins

Nico Carvacho - Colorado State - Averaging 15.5pts/12.9rebs in 30.3 mins. Currently leading the country in rebounding per cbbref. From Texas. Had 15/12 against Colorado, 12/11 against Arkansas, 28/20 against UNLV, 23/20 against Fresno State

Myles Carter - Seattle - Averaging 14.5pts/8.3rebs in 28.4 mins. 3.8 fouls a game though. Began his career at Seton Hall, originally from Chicago. Had 15/7 against UW, 26/13 against Cal, 9/8 against Wash St

Scottie James - Liberty - Averaging 12.1pts/8.8rebs in 23.6 mins. Went for 18 and 4 against Georgetown. 8 and 7 in a win at UCLA. .713/.545/.710 splits. From Florida.

Jacquil Taylor - Hofstra - Averaging 6.3/7.6 in 21.8. Already 23 years old, previously at Purdue. Has had injury issues and would probably need a waiver for another year. From Boston area originally. Had 2pt/5reb against Maryland. Had 2pt/17reb against VCU.

Nate Grimes - Fresno State - Averaging 11.9/8.7/1.8blks in 24.5 mins. Originally from Vegas. Had 17/5 against Cal, 9/15 against Miami, had 8/6 off bench against TCU, had 12/9 against Northwestern.

They would have to graduate in three years but I guess I'll include Tyrique Jones of Bloomfield, CT playing for Xavier. Averaging 9.6/6.9. Hurley recruited him pretty hard at URI. And Cyril Langevine of URI, averaging 13.9/10, originally from Jersey. Anybody else come to mind?

Reaction Score
I really like Carvacho, hopefully, if he transfers to UConn, he can also transfer his skills
Edit: He's had games where he has a stat line like 3/1/11. The rebounds look great but we also look for scoring, and he only had 3 points in 34 minutes.

Reaction Score
I really like Carvacho, hopefully, if he transfers to UConn, he can also transfer his skills
Edit: He's had games where he has a stat line like 3/1/11. The rebounds look great but we also look for scoring, and he only had 3 points in 34 minutes.
He's also had games where he's put up 28. He's averaging 15 a game. Evertbody has bad games, and his bad ones are better than our current bigs' average performance

Reaction Score
@kcc1442 Thanks for starting this thread. Just curious where you source the market and see who's available via grad transfer.

Reaction Score
@kcc1442 Thanks for starting this thread. Just curious where you source the market and see who's available via grad transfer.
I just went to cbbref and searched the top 10s of the rebounding, blocks, and defensive categories. Looked at their career stats and if they were a junior I searched their school bios to see if they transfered or redshirted. Enoch, Jones, and Langevine were just people I'm familiar with. These guys aren't necessarily going to be grad transfers, just people who could/should graduate with eligibility left this spring

Reaction Score
Our priorities at this point have to be:

Wahab/Mitchell
Grad Transfer/late decommit
Regular transfer

A regular transfer doesn't help us next year but if we can find talent we need it however we can get it

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I am particularly intrigued by Langevine. I love the Hurley connection but I do see where he'd have to graduate this year. He hasn't transferred. Why was he added? Is it contemplated that he may graduate in three years?

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I am particularly intrigued by Langevine. I love the Hurley connection but I do see where he'd have to graduate this year. He hasn't transferred. Why was he added? Is it contemplated that he may graduate in three years?
Yes he's assuming that he might be able to graduate early. Happens a lot but it's not a guarantee.

Reaction Score

Wahab/Mitchell
Regular transfer

A regular transfer doesn't help us next year but if we can find talent we need it however we can get it
People keep saying we have a good class that can get even better with 1 or 2 more commits. The reality is we need 4 more commits. Hurley and staff have their work cut out for them. It will lead to some class imbalance but who cares, we need to reboot with talent.

Reaction Score

Wahab/Mitchell
Regular transfer

To be honest, while people complain about the grad transfers and stop-gap solutions (and they're right), the regular transfers have been a bigger disappointment.

Purvis -- great kid, wildly overrated basketball skills coming out of high school and exposed (despite some fans' heads in the sand) at NC State; I don't blame him for KO's idiotic "Ferrari" comment

Larrier -- virtually the same story, minus the likability and desire to be here

Sid Wilson has a long way to go in his career but has not been impressive at all.

Grad transfers aren't usually counted on as centerpieces, and they only use a scholarship for 1 year. Regular transfers hamstring you even before they can step on the court, and if you're expecting big things from them, can leave you scrambling when they don't pan out.

Reaction Score
To be honest, while people complain about the grad transfers and stop-gap solutions (and they're right), the regular transfers have been a bigger disappointment.

Purvis -- great kid, wildly overrated basketball skills coming out of high school and exposed (despite some fans' heads in the sand) at NC State; I don't blame him for KO's idiotic "Ferrari" comment

Sid Wilson has a long way to go in his career but has not been impressive at all.

Grad transfers aren't usually counted on as centerpieces, and they only use a scholarship for 1 year. Regular transfers hamstring you even before they can step on the court, and if you're expecting big things from them, can leave you scrambling when they don't pan out.
Entire tournament teams are built on transfers. Kansas and Gonzaga are just two programs to note as of late. You just need to get the right guys.

Reaction Score
People keep saying we have a good class that can get even better with 1 or 2 more commits. The reality is we need 4 more commits. Hurley and staff have their work cut out for them. It will lead to some class imbalance but who cares, we need to reboot with talent.
I'd love to bring in a freshman class of 6 but who else are we linked to for 2019? Can Richie springs reclass to '19? Staff will need to get creative.

Reaction Score
College basketball is changing. Any program that doesn’t recruit either transfer market is on the fast track to getting left behind.
Yup. It's mercenary basketball but as long as you have a strong culture and the newcomer doesn't disrupt that, it's not a problem. We are just snakebitten right now. I get why people are skeptical but things can get better.

Reaction Score
I'd love to bring in a freshman class of 6 but who else are we linked to for 2019? Can Richie springs reclass to '19? Staff will need to get creative.
I think they are looking at some reclass options as you point out and a grad transfer. Not sure on other '19 names other than what we've heard but I'm sure there are a couple. There can't be any more reaches/down the road potential recruits coming in.

Reaction Score
Agree. Look at Nevada. Most of their roster is transfers.
Yup, good call. I don't think recruiting like Nevada has will set you up for long term success but there's nothing wrong with using it as a boost when needed, and we need it. I think a team made up of guys who were recruited as freshman and are now Juniors and seniors is preferable and more sustainable but given our perceived predicament with conference perception it's not a bad route to help us get back to relevance

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score

I know I shouldn't respond to you because you're the ultimate troll but c'mon. Sid Wilson is essentially a freshman who has played in 9 games, averaging under 20 minutes per. And he's displayed flashes of athleticism, of shooting ability, etc. Far too soon to write him off as unimpressive.

Reaction Score
Entire tournament teams are built on transfers. Kansas and Gonzaga are just two programs to note as of late. You just need to get the right guys.

That may be, but with a regular transfer, you absolutely have to nail it or you waste multiple years. KO flubbed the regular transfer market horrifically. He actually did OK with the grad transfers (Kromah, Miller, Gibbs) until Onuorah and Anderson, who were atrocious.

I'm not categorically opposed to regular transfers, but perhaps a bit gun-shy after recent experience. A grad transfer is lower risk.

Reaction Score
I think they are looking at some reclass options as you point out and a grad transfer. Not sure on other '19 names other than what we've heard but I'm sure there are a couple. There can't be any more reaches/down the road potential recruits coming in.
I'm a little concerned that we haven't seen a lot of news on 2020 kids so I really have no idea who else we could get to reclassify, but we need to do something.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how his relationship ended up with Bobby Hurley when he left ASU, and the kid is definitely a head case, but it's probably worth mentioning that former 5* Carlton Bragg will also be eligible to grad transfer. Highly doubt he's the type of kid who Dan Hurley would want though.

Reaction Score

Maybe not 4 guys, but definitely 3 IMO. 1) Big man. A 6/8/2 guy, minimum; 2) Anyone who can guard athletic 4s with size. We're too easily exposed by the Cook's of the world; 3) Knock down 3 point shooter around 6'6.; 4) A grad transfer guard. Can't rely on Gaffney year 1. Someone to help out Alterique at the 1.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

The last time we made the tournament two of our 3 best players, including our best player (IMO)were grad transfers.
Kromah was a huge piece for 2014 but sadly there are a lot of RJ Evans, Dave O, and Antoine Anderson’s out there. Jury still out on Smith but he is incredibly inconsistent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom