Potential 2017-18 Postgrad Watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Potential 2017-18 Postgrad Watch

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Calvin Hermanson, St. Mary's: 6-foot-6, 200 lb SF. He's the second-leading scorer on the 19th ranked team in the country, averaging 12/3/1 on 50/45/80 shooting splits. He's a high-volume, deadly accurate 3-point shooter who does almost nothing else on the court.

Redshirted as a true freshman and has steadily grown over the last 3 years. Scorched both Stanford and Dayton this season so far.

EDIT: Given the talent they have coming back in addition to him, I think there's little chance he transfers.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Junior Etou, Tula: 6-foot-8, 240 lb PF. Averaging 12/7/1 on 53/40/73 splits, and just went for 9/5/0 ( and 4 TOs) against us on 4/12 FG (1/3 3FG). Looked decent, not great.

Spent his first two years at Rutgers was moderately effective.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Bump.

BJ Johnson continues to dominate and Brandon Goodwin continues to be ruthlessly efficient, while Delph still looks like the best bet at a true 5 if we decide we need one (we should).

C

Chief00

Felt the need to create this thread as I'm watching BJ Johnson of LaSalle hang with Villanova.

Here's the opening caveat: Of course we all hope that we don't need to land a postgrad this offseason. If the three injured guys come back healthy, and Durham & Enoch improve, and we sign Diallo, and Jalen doesn't declare, then we almost certainly won't.

But that's a lot of "ifs," and given the make-up of the team for next year, as well as the dearth of uncommitted high school seniors who'd likely be able to help us next season, I feel like this is something to keep an eye on.

With that in mind:

BJ Johnson, LaSalle: 6-foot-7 200 lb wing who wasted two years at Syracuse before transferring home to Philly. He's averaging 19p/6r/1a/1b/1s per game this season, on 54/47/93 shooting splits, and he's been the best player on the floor vs. Nova.

Obviously this level of efficiency isn't going to continue, but he's a former top 100 recruit who will either end up in the draft or a bigger program next year. Pitino is probably courtside already, to be honest.

Ronald Delph, Florida Atlantic: 7-foot, 245 lb center who started his career at Auburn but never played a game for them, and is now in his second season at FAU. He's averaging 12p/9.5r/2b per game on 63/58 shooting splits, and has had big games against not-entirely-crap teams like USF and Hawaii, and FSU last season.

He'd be a perfect fit for UConn because he fouls a ton and has literally zero assists on the season. But still... if Enoch & Durham don't pick it up, and we don't land Bamba, this guy could be a meaningful target for us come spring.

EDIT: Somehow I missed the fact that this kid's playing right now against tOSU, our next opponent. He had 2 points, 10 rebounds and a block before fouling out, and the game has headed to overtime.

Johnathan Motley, Baylor: 6-foot-10, 230-lb PF who is projected as a first round pick on some sites. He's currently averaging 16p/8r/2a/1b on 50/40/78 splits for the 4th ranked team in the country.

Root for another Baylor scandal so they get the death penalty IMO. And even if that happens, Motley's probably in the league anyway.

Alan Herndon, Wyoming: 6-foot-9, 210 lb PF who redshirted his first year and is now a fourth-year junior scheduled to graduate in the spring. He's averaging 11p/6r/1a/2b on 52/50/59 shooting splits.

Kid didn't look out of place at Cal two weeks ago, and if he decides to take his talent out of Laramie, every Pac 12 school other than maybe UCLA will come knocking. We probably would as well.

Sean Obi, Duke: 6-foot-9, 255 lb C who has barely gotten on the floor for Duke over the past season-and-a-half after transferring from Rice. As a freshman he averaged 12p/9.5r/.8b/.7a on 59/54 shooting splits for a bad team against decent competition.

Obi can't protect the rim much, and his lateral movement is bad. It might be worse than "bad" after offseason knee surgery (he went under the knife in June), but I don't care... the dude, when on the floor, rebounds.

He showed no real interest in UConn after deciding he was going to transfer from Rice, but given the guys he'll be competing with if he comes back this year, and if he stays next year... if the dude wants PT, he's got to leave.

FWIW he played ball in Greenwich, which is where his guardian is from. Obi is a business major so I'm not 100% sure what we'd have to offer postgrad-wise.

Jack Whitman, William & Mary: 6-foot-9, 235 lb C who redshirted his freshman year and is now a fourth-year junior scheduled to graduate in the spring. He's averaging 11p/6.4r/1a/.6b per game on 62/69 shooting splits.

He battled like hell against Duke (I watched part of that game) and Louisville (didn't watch that one), and picked up a ton fouls in short minutes. But he rebounds, and he finishes around the basket even against length, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

----------

Everyone should feel free to add to this throughout the season. It's sometimes hard to keep track of all this stuff, but hopefully this can be a good start.

My own view is if a kid has already had major knee, shoulder or other surgery - check him off our list - we will have enough of those to manage and deal with re-injury risk.

Reaction Score
Creighton's Zach Hanson has ligament damage in ankle, will miss several months

Hanson will probably get a 5th year. I doubt he returns this year. Even though Justin Patton is blowing up this year for Creighton as a RS Freshman...I think he returns for another year before declaring. My guess is he will cool off a bit down the stretch this year.

If Patton returns for 2017-18 then maybe Hanson moves on. Probably a 50/50 call. Hanson is far from great but very serviceable. I would probably pass on Hanson even with our returning challenged core up front. Having said that Hanson could turn out to be the missing piece as it relates to depth that prevents a dream season for Creighton (Final4).

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Egor Koulechov, Rice: 6-foot-5, 210 lb SG who is averaging 19/8/2 on 54/58/84 shooting splits. That second number is not a typo -- he's shooting 58% from 3 this year on 4.3 attempts per game (he was 34% on 7.3 attempts per game last year). Started his career at Arizona State.

This kid may be the new No. 1 on my postgrad wish list.

Reaction Score
Egor Koulechov, Rice: 6-foot-5, 210 lb SG who is averaging 19/8/2 on 54/58/84 shooting splits. That second number is not a typo -- he's shooting 58% from 3 this year on 4.3 attempts per game (he was 34% on 7.3 attempts per game last year). Started his career at Arizona State.

Can we get this to Ollie? Husky99, anyone? He is exactly what we need and he's Israeli. We need to get Doron on this.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Randy Onwuasor, Southern Utah: 6-foot-3, 210 lb SG from Inglewood. Averaging 24/7/3 on 42/33/82 shooting splits. He's in his first year at So Utah after spending his first two seasons at Texas Tech. He has a marijuana possession arrest.

Brother's a rookie for the Vikings after playing at Arizona.

Reaction Score

Went to same hs as ty polley.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Kameron Rooks, Cal: 7-foot-1, 270 lb center who redshirted his sophomore year after tearing an ACL. Came back last year and played about 17 MPG, and is putting in the same amount of work this year (tho he missed all of December with an injury). Averaging 5/5.5/2 on 57/00/63 shooting splits.

He's a true wide-bodied 5. Savvier than Enoch, but about the same in terms of footspeed and agility, so he'd be great against some teams and awful against others -- which is why he doesn't start for Cal. Father is Sean Rooks, who I'm sure most of you remember from Arizona and about a dozen years in the NBA.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Dwight Coleby, Kansas: 6-foot-9, 240 lb C averaging 1/2/1 on 42/00/33 shooting splits. He's playing just 6 minutes a night and has been a DNP-CD for about half their games this year.

Here's the thing, though: He was actually better-than-decent two years back for Ole Miss, and was one of the most highly sought-after transfers out there. He went for 5.5/5/1 in 17 mpg on 53/00/80 shooting splits, and I'm kind of stunned he hasn't had more run for KU with Azubuike hurt and Lucas struggling.

I've got to think there's a huge chance this kid goes elsewhere for his postgrad year, and I hope we're all over him.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Kameron Rooks, Cal: 7-foot-1, 270 lb center who redshirted his sophomore year after tearing an ACL. Came back last year and played about 17 MPG, and is putting in the same amount of work this year (tho he missed all of December with an injury). Averaging 5/5.5/2 on 57/00/63 shooting splits.

He's a true wide-bodied 5. Savvier than Enoch, but about the same in terms of footspeed and agility, so he'd be great against some teams and awful against others -- which is why he doesn't start for Cal. Father is Sean Rooks, who I'm sure most of you remember from Arizona and about a dozen years in the NBA.
Coach Ollie was recruiting him when he was in high school IIRC, so there already is some degree of a relationship

Reaction Score

Watched some of the game last night, he's even less mobile than he was pre-surgery but really knows how to play the game. Size and experience wouldn't hurt for a year if slot is open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom