Potential 2017-18 Postgrad Watch | The Boneyard

Potential 2017-18 Postgrad Watch

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Felt the need to create this thread as I'm watching BJ Johnson of LaSalle hang with Villanova.

Here's the opening caveat: Of course we all hope that we don't need to land a postgrad this offseason. If the three injured guys come back healthy, and Durham & Enoch improve, and we sign Diallo, and Jalen doesn't declare, then we almost certainly won't.

But that's a lot of "ifs," and given the make-up of the team for next year, as well as the dearth of uncommitted high school seniors who'd likely be able to help us next season, I feel like this is something to keep an eye on.

With that in mind:

BJ Johnson, LaSalle: 6-foot-7 200 lb wing who wasted two years at Syracuse before transferring home to Philly. He's averaging 19p/6r/1a/1b/1s per game this season, on 54/47/93 shooting splits, and he's been the best player on the floor vs. Nova.

Obviously this level of efficiency isn't going to continue, but he's a former top 100 recruit who will either end up in the draft or a bigger program next year. Pitino is probably courtside already, to be honest.

Ronald Delph, Florida Atlantic: 7-foot, 245 lb center who started his career at Auburn but never played a game for them, and is now in his second season at FAU. He's averaging 12p/9.5r/2b per game on 63/58 shooting splits, and has had big games against not-entirely-crap teams like USF and Hawaii, and FSU last season.

He'd be a perfect fit for UConn because he fouls a ton and has literally zero assists on the season. But still... if Enoch & Durham don't pick it up, and we don't land Bamba, this guy could be a meaningful target for us come spring.

EDIT: Somehow I missed the fact that this kid's playing right now against tOSU, our next opponent. He had 2 points, 10 rebounds and a block before fouling out, and the game has headed to overtime.

Johnathan Motley, Baylor: 6-foot-10, 230-lb PF who is projected as a first round pick on some sites. He's currently averaging 16p/8r/2a/1b on 50/40/78 splits for the 4th ranked team in the country.

Root for another Baylor scandal so they get the death penalty IMO. And even if that happens, Motley's probably in the league anyway.

Alan Herndon, Wyoming: 6-foot-9, 210 lb PF who redshirted his first year and is now a fourth-year junior scheduled to graduate in the spring. He's averaging 11p/6r/1a/2b on 52/50/59 shooting splits.

Kid didn't look out of place at Cal two weeks ago, and if he decides to take his talent out of Laramie, every Pac 12 school other than maybe UCLA will come knocking. We probably would as well.

Sean Obi, Duke: 6-foot-9, 255 lb C who has barely gotten on the floor for Duke over the past season-and-a-half after transferring from Rice. As a freshman he averaged 12p/9.5r/.8b/.7a on 59/54 shooting splits for a bad team against decent competition.

Obi can't protect the rim much, and his lateral movement is bad. It might be worse than "bad" after offseason knee surgery (he went under the knife in June), but I don't care... the dude, when on the floor, rebounds.

He showed no real interest in UConn after deciding he was going to transfer from Rice, but given the guys he'll be competing with if he comes back this year, and if he stays next year... if the dude wants PT, he's got to leave.

FWIW he played ball in Greenwich, which is where his guardian is from. Obi is a business major so I'm not 100% sure what we'd have to offer postgrad-wise.

Jack Whitman, William & Mary: 6-foot-9, 235 lb C who redshirted his freshman year and is now a fourth-year junior scheduled to graduate in the spring. He's averaging 11p/6.4r/1a/.6b per game on 62/69 shooting splits.

He battled like hell against Duke (I watched part of that game) and Louisville (didn't watch that one), and picked up a ton fouls in short minutes. But he rebounds, and he finishes around the basket even against length, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

----------

Everyone should feel free to add to this throughout the season. It's sometimes hard to keep track of all this stuff, but hopefully this can be a good start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Felt the need to create this thread as I'm watching BJ Johnson of LaSalle hang with Villanova.

Here's the opening caveat: Of course we all hope that we don't need to land a postgrad this offseason. If the three injured guys come back healthy, and Durham & Enoch improve, and we sign Diallo, and Jalen doesn't declare, then we almost certainly won't.

But that's a lot of "ifs," and given the make-up of the team for next year, as well as the dearth of uncommitted high school seniors who'd likely be able to help us next season, I feel like this is something to keep an eye on.

With that in mind:

BJ Johnson, LaSalle: 6-foot-7 200 lb wing who wasted two years at Syracuse before transferring home to Philly. He's averaging 19p/6r/1a/1b/1s per game this season, on 54/47/93 shooting splits, and he's been the best player on the floor vs. Nova.

Obviously this level of efficiency isn't going to continue, but he's a former top 100 recruit who will either end up in the draft or a bigger program next year. Pitino is probably courtside already, to be honest.

Ronald Delph, Florida Atlantic: 7-foot, 245 lb center who started his career at Auburn but never played a game for them, and is now in his second season at FAU. He's averaging 12p/9.5r/2b per game on 63/58 shooting splits, and has had big games against not-entirely-crap teams like USF and Hawaii, and FSU last season.

He'd be a perfect fit for UConn because he fouls a ton and has literally zero assists on the season. But still... if Enoch & Durham don't pick it up, and we don't land Bamba, this guy could be a meaningful target for us come spring.

EDIT: Somehow I missed the fact that this kid's playing right now against tOSU, our next opponent. He had 2 points, 10 rebounds and a block before fouling out, and the game has headed to overtime.

Johnathan Motley, Baylor: 6-foot-10, 230-lb PF who is projected as a first round pick on some sites. He's currently averaging 16p/8r/2a/1b on 50/40/78 splits for the 4th ranked team in the country.

Root for another Baylor scandal so they get the death penalty IMO. And even if that happens, Motley's probably in the league anyway.

Alan Herndon, Wyoming: 6-foot-9, 210 lb PF who redshirted his first year and is now a fourth-year junior scheduled to graduate in the spring. He's averaging 11p/6r/1a/2b on 52/50/59 shooting splits.

Kid didn't look out of place at Cal two weeks ago, and if he decides to take his talent out of Laramie, every Pac 12 school other than maybe UCLA will come knocking. We probably would as well.

Sean Obi, Duke: 6-foot-9, 255 lb C who has barely gotten on the floor for Duke over the past season-and-a-half after transferring from Rice. As a freshman he averaged 12p/9.5r/.8b/.7a on 59/54 shooting splits for a bad team against decent competition.

Obi can't protect the rim much, and his lateral movement is bad. It might be worse than "bad" after offseason knee surgery (he went under the knife in June), but I don't care... the dude, when on the floor, rebounds.

He showed no real interest in UConn after deciding he was going to transfer from Rice, but given the guys he'll be competing with if he comes back this year, and if he stays next year... if the dude wants PT, he's got to leave.

FWIW he played ball in Greenwich, which is where his guardian is from. Obi is a business major so I'm not 100% sure what we'd have to offer postgrad-wise.

Jack Whitman, William & Mary: 6-foot-9, 235 lb C who redshirted his freshman year and is now a fourth-year junior scheduled to graduate in the spring. He's averaging 11p/6.4r/1a/.6b per game on 62/69 shooting splits.

He battled like hell against Duke (I watched part of that game) and Louisville (didn't watch that one), and picked up a ton fouls in short minutes. But he rebounds, and he finishes around the basket even against length, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

----------

Everyone should feel free to add to this throughout the season. It's sometimes hard to keep track of all this stuff, but hopefully this can be a good start.
Jalen isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Kahlil Dukes from Hartford is a redshirt Junior at Niagara now. Played sparingly in two years at Southern Cal. Averaging 16 a game shooting 48/48/100. Only 6' but I think he's playing off the ball averaging 2.5 assists and 2.5 rebounds a game. Don't think he'd see the floor for us but it'd be really cool if he grad transferred to CCSU

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kahlil Dukes from Hartford is a redshirt Junior at Niagara now. Played sparingly in two years at Southern Cal. Averaging 16 a game shooting 48/48/100. Only 6' but I think he's playing off the ball averaging 2.5 assists and 2.5 rebounds a game. Don't think he'd see the floor for us but it'd be really cool if he grad transferred to CCSU
Want

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Want
Bet Dukes will be on the list if Jalen leaves -- which seems, I admit, a remote prospect. But it's not entirely outside the realm of possibilities that a guy with NBA length and athleticism who's shooting the ball at 48/43/65 decides to test the waters. He's certainly a better NBA prospect than DHam was, and is older for his grade, and DHam didn't stay past year 2.

Reaction Score
Nice list Matrim thanks. Obi made a huge mistake, assuming basketball still meant something to him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Bet Dukes will be on the list if Jalen leaves -- which seems, I admit, a remote prospect. But it's not entirely outside the realm of possibilities that a guy with NBA length and athleticism who's shooting the ball at 48/43/65 decides to test the waters. He's certainly a better NBA prospect than DHam was, and is older for his grade, and DHam didn't stay past year 2.
Completely agree. He has all year to lead his team, I don't think he'll be here.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Completely agree. He has all year to lead his team, I don't think he'll be here.
Our saving grace might be that this draft is packed with PG talent. Unless he goes full Kemba from here on out, he's probably no higher than the 6th PG off the board.

In 2018 there are only 2 -- maybe 3 if Frank Jackson at Duke improves -- guys in that stratosphere. And honestly I think Jalen is talented enough to play his way past them in the next 18 months.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Another add:

Tony Washington, LaSalle: 6-foot-10, 230 lb C who redshirted his freshman year and is now a 4th year junior. He's struggling this year compared to last season, when he averaged 8p/7.5r/1a/1.5b per game on 60/50 shooting splits.

He had 10p/3r tonight against Villanova, and generally did a nice job of protecting the rim. He's also had really good games in the past against the likes of Dayton, UMass and Temple.

Not a banger, and not a great rebounder compared to some of the other guys on the team. But I wouldn't mind a guy like this if we decide we need 5 more front-court fouls next season.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Jalen isn't going anywhere.
Let's not speculate in December. We've made that mistake in the past. Right now, I'd say it's 50/50. There's no way of knowing.

Reaction Score
Another guy who is killing it with CT ties is Matt Mobley. From Mass, played two years at Central before transferring to St. Bonaventure. Averaging 21pts, 7rebs, 3asts on 46/43/80 percentages. Gets to the line 6.5 times a game. Listed at 6'3", played some point at CCSU but now off the ball. Craziest part is he's doing all this as second fiddle to Jaylen Adams. If they both stay that could be one of the best backcourts in the country next year

Also, Dukes and Mobley play each other 12/17 at 1pm

Reaction Score
Jalen is not and should not go anywhere. He turned the ball over what, 9? times in a half this year vs a college team's pressure. Sure, he's done some nice things, but he's had games where he was a virtual no show vs lesser teams. I assume he's going to be a point guard in the NBA. He needs to improve those skills before he can think about leaving.

His time will come and he's going to be a first round pick at some point, maybe even lottery if he improves his handle, shooting, and decision making, but he's just not there yet.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Marcus Keene, Central Michigan: 5-foot-9 PG and is now absolutely tearing s*&% up. He's leading the nation in scoring at 31.4 ppg, along with 5.1a and 4.6r on 53/44/84 shooting splits.

The vast majority of this has come against subpar opponents, but nonetheless he's gone for 30+ in 8 of 10 games this year, and has made shots from all over the court. I expect him to be playing in the spotlight next season.

Reaction Score
Marcus Keene, Central Michigan: 5-foot-9 PG and is now absolutely tearing s*&% up. He's leading the nation in scoring at 31.4 ppg, along with 5.1a and 4.6r on 53/44/84 shooting splits.

The vast majority of this has come against subpar opponents, but nonetheless he's gone for 30+ in 8 of 10 games this year, and has made shots from all over the court. I expect him to be playing in the spotlight next season.
He's this years Kay Felder

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Romelo Banks, who's playing against UConn right now, will be eligible for a postgrad year next season. 6-foot-11, 250 lb center who averages 9.5p/7r/1block per game. He's hit two nice little hooks over Amida thus far.

Went for 7 points and 10 rebounds against Syracuse two weeks back.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Jonathan Stark, Murray State: 6-foot-0 PG who used to play for Tulane, but transferred. Averaging 21p/3.5r/5.3a per game on 45/45/78 shooting splits.

Very unlikely we'll look for a point guard, but one to keep tabs on nonetheless.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Jermaine Crumpton, Canisius: 6-foot-6, 245 lb stretch PF who redshirted as a freshman. Averaging 16.5p/5r/1.5a per game on 54/54(!!!)/70 shooting splits. Scored 13 against UK to open the year, and just went for 16/7 against BU.

He's a Niagara falls native. Bet he's wearing orange next season.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Brandon Goodwin, Florida Gulf Coast: 6-foot-2, 180 lb SG who transferred from UCF after the 2015 season (remember him?). He's putting up 17/4/4 on 54/40/76 shooting splits. Went for 22/3/3 in a 9-point loss to Baylor and 18/4/4 in a one-point loss to Sparty.

Played us 3 times in 2013/14 and 14/15, but never did a damn thing.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Another guy who is killing it with CT ties is Matt Mobley. From Mass, played two years at Central before transferring to St. Bonaventure. Averaging 21pts, 7rebs, 3asts on 46/43/80 percentages. Gets to the line 6.5 times a game. Listed at 6'3", played some point at CCSU but now off the ball. Craziest part is he's doing all this as second fiddle to Jaylen Adams. If they both stay that could be one of the best backcourts in the country next year

Also, Dukes and Mobley play each other 12/17 at 1pm
Still putting up good numbers, including a 33/8/6 against Canisius last week.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Henry Caruso, Princeton: 6-foot-4 210 lb SG who played 8 games this year, got injured, and will certainly be granted another year of eligibility. Averaged 15/6/2 last year on 52/45/72 shooting splits. Kid is lights out when he gets an inch of space and has done it against good comp.

He'll have to transfer because of Ivy League rules, just like Shonn Miller did. He's from San Mateo so my guess is both Stanford and Cal come hard, as will any team that needs a wing shooter.

If we miss out on Diallo I want this kid or Mobley (who went for 23/4/1 in a win over UMass last night).

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Marcus Romain, Mississippi Valley State: 6-foot-2, 180 lb SG who played 3 games this year, got hurt and will redshirt as a senior (tho that's not yet official it seems likely). Averaged 19/5.5/2.5 last year on 44/34/78 shooting splits, with tons of turnovers.

Brooklyn kid.

Reaction Score
Henry Caruso, Princeton: 6-foot-4 210 lb SG who played 8 games this year, got injured, and will certainly be granted another year of eligibility. Averaged 15/6/2 last year on 52/45/72 shooting splits. Kid is lights out when he gets an inch of space and has done it against good comp.

He'll have to transfer because of Ivy League rules, just like Shonn Miller did. He's from San Mateo so my guess is both Stanford and Cal come hard, as will any team that needs a wing shooter.

If we miss out on Diallo I want this kid or Mobley (who went for 23/4/1 in a win over UMass last night).
Any clue on the defensive abilities for Caruso or Mobley? With the backcourt we have returning for '17-18 a 3 and D SG glue guy would be ideal.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Any clue on the defensive abilities for Caruso or Mobley? With the backcourt we have returning for '17-18 a 3 and D SG glue guy would be ideal.
Both guys are similar to Rodney -- really, really strong, good in the post, and capable of locking down most college wings (including bigger guys). I wouldn't expect either to be the type who could switch onto elite PGs and keep one in front of them, but I also think that with Adams, Gilbert & Vital, that won't really be a concern next year.

The best attribute for both on the defensive side is their defensive rebounding. Mobley in particular is a monstrous defensive rebounder from the SG spot, and does it on the regular against competition that's AAC quality or thereabouts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom