Postgame quotes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Postgame quotes

Reaction Score
I’m not writing him off as having a mid-major ceiling. He’ll continue to build us up to a place that brings in Top 100 talent. That ceiling is just going to be lower than it was under JC, and there will still be slightly more flyers and projects on his rosters than there were during the glory years.
What teams are you referencing? JC was a top 5 coach - his coaching was what did it. We've seen tons of time where talent doesn't equate to anything. He shaped clay.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What teams are you referencing? JC was a top 5 coach - his coaching was what did it. We've seen tons of time where talent doesn't equate to anything. He shaped clay.

JC was a great coach, but also a great recruiter. He had the ability to bring fantastic clay into his studio.

Reaction Score
JC was a great coach, but also a great recruiter. He had the ability to bring fantastic clay into his studio.
I put the credit with JC and his eye for talent and knowing the heart of a player and putting them in the right position rather than the shooting for number one top recruits that might not have the mentality that he wanted. I think hurly can pull great classes but that's not what UConn has been about. We play insane team based tough new England / NYC bball. Let's just win

Reaction Score
Calhoun was very good at getting undervalued talent. For all his success he had few all Americans, ie Ray wasn't even an all American. Calhoun was able to develop his 'clay' into masterpieces

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well, excuse us for believing we can still put together a JC level roster bc we are UConn. We’ve done it before, to say it can’t be done again is extremely pessimistic and I think you are wrong. I think Hurley is going to put together some very talented classes.

You’re ignoring that:

1) JC is literally the greatest college coach of all time.

2) The conference he coached in was the best college basketball conference of all time.

Go ahead and call me pessimistic for saying lightning won’t strike twice, that’s your prerogative. The heights we reached in the past occurred under highly specific circumstances. Nobody, whether Hurley or anyone else, will ever do as good of a job as JC did.

Reaction Score
I'm ok with the that winning shot going in.....it was a prayer shot that went in much like the AG 3s.
I'm not ok with the offensive foul or the attempt to dribble through a defensive zone where it appeared all five collapsed on someone who thought they could drive to the hoop. That contributed more to the defeat than CV's play.
CV will never pick up Jalen's absense.....and Jalen will never pickup CV's.....totally different styles that are both needed.
AG's blockathon drives to the hoop have got to stop, however, I seem to remember Kemba was just as reckless as a freshman and even into his sophomore year. Maybe a glimpse of better things to come.

Reaction Score
You’re ignoring that:

2) The conference he coached in was the best college basketball conference of all time.

Go ahead and call me pessimistic for saying lightning won’t strike twice, that’s your prerogative. The heights we reached in the past occurred under highly specific circumstances. Nobody, whether Hurley or anyone else, will ever do as good of a job as JC did.

Where we were was the top of the mountain, better than anyone we look at these days considering the recruiting advantages for some now. JC still took his teams so deep annually almost for 20 plus years even when no NC was the end. He pushed Cuse, GTown, Nova and everyone else off top of the BE and carried the flag for Gavottes league. You have a point no doubt and could very well be right, actually odds favor your thoughts I wouldn't bet against you. Good news is I also was a fan when we were in the Yankee Conference and then I didn't even dream of what was to come. So now I can dream just a little still because I lived it, all in for Danny because he will be the one who will need to make it happen. If it drifts too far and we stay put in the AAC your predictions will unfortunately ring true.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have no idea what's going on with CV and Hurley, but it was an unrealistic expectation if you thought CV was going to fill the void left by Jalen's injury. This is basically the Peter Principle in action.

This is Hurley's way of pushing CV I imagine. He's a kid that needs to be challenged.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You can tell how badly he wants to get his own players in here. He knows he did the right thing, morally/karmically, by bringing everyone back, but he's gotta be wishing he could accelerate the roster turnover.

Realistically, I don't think he could have managed bringing in a big class immediately upon taking over.

It wasn't just about 'doing the right thing', it's about being pragmatic enough to realize you gotta field a team your first year at the helm.

It's definitely better optics for the public, media, and future recruits as well.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I said it in the off-season that it wouldn’t matter or be very impactful big picture for this program if neither Jalen Adams or Christian Vital returned and people crucified me, looks like they might of been right, only on the opposite end. Although I still don’t believe it makes much of a difference in the big scheme of things, but you could make a case that Jalen Adams & Christian Vital have negatively impacted this season and the development of our youngsters, & haven’t help change the previous culture.

Again, like I made my point in the off-season, typically when a new leader comes into an environment a large percent of the people in the old environment are not going to mesh & workout in the new environment, add on a previous toxic environment you can bump up that percentage. I have a good amount of experience in going into different environments & having the burden to change the culture & identify the future leaders of that environment.

Enjoy the process & journey, I believe in Hurley, although many won’t think about these times if Hurley ever does raise banners in the future for this program, this time is crucial to lay down a structural & strong foundation.

Let’s go Huskies!!

So are starting guards would have been Gilbert and Tarin. And for a time, Tarin and Brendan Adams.

I don't think it would be remotely useful to lose damn near every one of our games. You don't lay a foundation on an 5-27 team. Not a good look.

And the development of most of these guys doesn't matter much anyway. It's the new blood coming in that counts.

Reaction Score
You’re ignoring that:

You are not wrong about those 2 points at all. But they greatest point your missing is:

A) Anything is possible, especially in sports.
I mean, a random team out of a small city in Eastern Washington, basically Idaho, and part of a low level conference, stapled themselves as a national power.

I trust in Hurley and believe he can do it. He has a special energy about him.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Where we were was the top of the mountain, better than anyone we look at these days considering the recruiting advantages for some now. JC still took his teams so deep annually almost for 20 plus years even when no NC was the end. He pushed Cuse, GTown, Nova and everyone else off top of the BE and carried the flag for Gavottes league. You have a point no doubt and could very well be right, actually odds favor your thoughts I wouldn't bet against you. Good news is I also was a fan when we were in the Yankee Conference and then I didn't even dream of what was to come. So now I can dream just a little still because I lived it, all in for Danny because he will be the one who will need to make it happen. If it drifts too far and we stay put in the AAC your predictions will unfortunately ring true.

"Gavottes"? Not sure if you made him Spanish, Italian or French, Mau. LOL

I'd guess Gavitt was an Irishman, hence his kinship with Jimmy C.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I mean Vital wasn't within 3 feet of him but that's half because the guy was sprinting full speed away from the basket when shooting. I'll take my chances with that shot

This. With over 6 seconds left, they were always going to get a shot off. That one was just as good as a half court heave. It went in. You guys have beem watching too many 1999 championship replays, not every opposing player trips over the foul line.

Reaction Score
"Gavottes"? Not sure if you made him Spanish, Italian or French, Mau. LOL

I'd guess Gavitt was an Irishman, hence his kinship with Jimmy C.

LOL I didn’t make him French this damn phone did. Well you get my point ha

Reaction Score
You’re ignoring that:

The thing is what fan is deluded enough to think we will be at the same heights we were when at the top of a power conference with a hall of fame coach and winning NCAA Championships. I don't think we will ever be the same due to our circumstances. The thing is why can't we at least be a Gonzaga, or Old Xavier and Memphis when they were in weaker conferences. We can get to dominating or at least top 3 of this average conference and annual qualifier for the NCAA Tourney with an occasional long run. We might not ever win the whole thing but we can be a lot better than were we are now(bottom half of the AAC). I will take top 3 of the AAC(Never really have done that) and making the NCAA tourney every year. It is our new reality and I'm fine with it. I hope we can be more successful than Cincy and not get knocked out of the first 2 rounds every year. LOL!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You’re ignoring that:

Of course Jim Calhoun didn’t walk into a program that already had four championships, a 10,000 seat arena on campus, and a state of the art basketball training facility.

Your point is right though, Hurley isn’t Jim Calhoun. Still, he seems to be a pretty good coach, has made some smart hires and is doing some good recruiting. Given the advantages of the program that he’s joining, I don’t think it’s horribly unreasonable to think he may be successful here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Of course Jim Calhoun didn’t walk into a program that already had four championships, a 10,000 seat arena on campus, and a state of the art basketball training facility.

Your point is right though, Hurley isn’t Jim Calhoun. Still, he seems to be a pretty good coach, has made some smart hires and is doing some good recruiting. Given the advantages of the program that he’s joining, I don’t think it’s horribly unreasonable to think he may be successful here.

There's a lot of daylight between "successful here" and the highest of highs the program has reached in the past. That isn't meant as a slight to Hurley at all - he's going to be very, very good when all is said and done. Even with those advantages you mention, any coach's tenure here is going to be a downgrade compared to what people got used to.

Reaction Score
Very much needed W today. Uconn hasn’t won a game in exactly 1 month(SB Sunday)! Thank goodness that USF can’t shoot a lick bc if they could we would’ve suffered another defeat. On to Temple! Go huskies

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom