Postgame quotes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Postgame quotes

Reaction Score
Vitals mistake was on the inbounds. He applied no pressure. Once the Wichita guard had him beat vital made him take the toughest shot possible at that point. Helluva shot

Reaction Score
That's about as pointedly as you see a college coach criticizing his own players' toughness and heart (while praising Gilbert, deservedly).

You can tell how badly he wants to get his own players in here. He knows he did the right thing, morally/karmically, by bringing everyone back, but he's gotta be wishing he could accelerate the roster turnover.
Feel like this argument is getting pretty tired at this point of the season. Who should he have pushed out? This board acts, and I've probably been guilty of it, as if spending one season under KO was so damaging to these players that they will never be able to recover. At this point, the majority of the guys currently playing/returning for next year have been coached by Hurley just as much as they've been coached by KO.

The whole "Hurley can't wait for roster turnover" argument doesn't make any sense to me as Hurley has already made it clear to the young guys (Alterique Gilbert, Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley, Sid Wilson and Brendan Adams) that they are the foundation for bringing this program back.

Reaction Score
Watch the replay. Vital isn't within 3 feet of the guy when he goes up for the shot, doesn't contest or harass it at all.

Was it an easy shot? No. Did Vital defend it well? Also no.
I mean Vital wasn't within 3 feet of him but that's half because the guy was sprinting full speed away from the basket when shooting. I'll take my chances with that shot

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Vital didn't want to get beat to the rim, that was his goal. Force the guy into a difficult shot. That was a difficult shot. Would it have been nice if he got his hand up? Yes. But if he overplayed the ball he would have either been drawn into a foul or get beat for an easy layup. Not sure what people are expecting he could have done differently there.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I mean Vital wasn't within 3 feet of him but that's half because the guy was sprinting full speed away from the basket when shooting. I'll take my chances with that shot

Amen.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Vital kept him out of the paint and off balanced. It’s not like he made a straight line to the rim. The kid made a very tough one handed fade-away from practically behind the basket. That shot only goes in because the 2018-19 Huskies are cursed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I will add not discussing a UConn player leaving early to turn pro in some form to the off-limits topic list.

Once the G-league becomes more lucrative this will become a legitimate option besides Europe & once we start getting higher quality players again some of them may consider leaving early for the NBA you do realize?

There may be merit to your concern or speculation, but I think it gets played out soon enough, with 3 more regular season games, Senior Night (if it were to apply), the AAC Tournament, and the increasingly unlikely NIT all around the corner. Until those markers, I root for each player to maximize his performance within the games themselves. That may amount to a self-censoring, and maybe my thoughts on your different choice overreached.

Reaction Score
Feel like this argument is getting pretty tired at this point of the season. Who should he have pushed out? This board acts, and I've probably been guilty of it, as if spending one season under KO was so damaging to these players that they will never be able to recover. At this point, the majority of the guys currently playing/returning for next year have been coached by Hurley just as much as they've been coached by KO.

The whole "Hurley can't wait for roster turnover" argument doesn't make any sense to me as Hurley has already made it clear to the young guys (Alterique Gilbert, Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley, Sid Wilson and Brendan Adams) that they are the foundation for bringing this program back.
We need roster turnover. It doesn't mean everyone has to go. In hindsight there are 2-3 guys Hurley probably didn't need to recruit back and we could have tried to fill their spots with something. Right now it's moot because we haven't oversigned and it doesn't look like we will.

Reaction Score
Vitals mistake was on the inbounds. He applied no pressure. Once the Wichita guard had him beat vital made him take the toughest shot possible at that point. Helluva shot

This is difference. A little pressure in the back court to slow him would have made the possession more difficult for WS.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That's about as pointedly as you see a college coach criticizing his own players' toughness and heart (while praising Gilbert, deservedly).

You can tell how badly he wants to get his own players in here. He knows he did the right thing, morally/karmically, by bringing everyone back, but he's gotta be wishing he could accelerate the roster turnover.

Man, how much joy did these comments bring you?

As an aside, I take great pleasure in how upset you are with Hurley’s decision not to clean house.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
but you could make a case that Jalen Adams & Christian Vital have negatively impacted this season and the development of our youngsters

In a sea of bad takes, this is truly the worst. Congratulations.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
We need roster turnover. It doesn't mean everyone has to go. In hindsight there are 2-3 guys Hurley probably didn't need to recruit back and we could have tried to fill their spots with something. Right now it's moot because we haven't oversigned and it doesn't look like we will.

People want a Peak JC Years-caliber roster. They’ll never get it, but they’ll scream themselves blue in the face regardless. Look at the grumbles that already started when he extended an offer to a JUCO center. I don’t think they will ever be content with a Hurley-constructed roster.

Reaction Score
I said it in the off-season that it wouldn’t matter or be very impactful big picture for this program if neither Jalen Adams or Christian Vital returned and people crucified me, looks like they might of been right, only on the opposite end. Although I still don’t believe it makes much of a difference in the big scheme of things, but you could make a case that Jalen Adams & Christian Vital have negatively impacted this season and the development of our youngsters, & haven’t help change the previous culture.

Again, like I made my point in the off-season, typically when a new leader comes into an environment a large percent of the people in the old environment are not going to mesh & workout in the new environment, add on a previous toxic environment you can bump up that percentage. I have a good amount of experience in going into different environments & having the burden to change the culture & identify the future leaders of that environment.

Enjoy the process & journey, I believe in Hurley, although many won’t think about these times if Hurley ever does raise banners in the future for this program, this time is crucial to lay down a structural & strong foundation.

Let’s go Huskies!!
What’s our record without Jalen, pray tell?

Reaction Score
I guess, but the 2-3 guys I'm thinking of aren't actively playing right now. If Hurley had come in and his first order of business was running off the guys who played multiple seasons under KO - specifically Christian and Jalen - everyone would have been rethinking whether or not Hurley was a good hire.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what's going on with CV and Hurley, but it was an unrealistic expectation if you thought CV was going to fill the void left by Jalen's injury. This is basically the Peter Principle in action.

Vital is a decent Robin, he's definitely not a Batman.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I guess, but the 2-3 guys I'm thinking of aren't actively playing right now. If Hurley had come in and his first order of business was running off the guys who played multiple seasons under KO - specifically Christian and Jalen - everyone would have been rethinking whether or not Hurley was a good hire.

It’s been very clear that Hurley has a more expansive vision of which of “KO’s players” are a part of the program’s future than others.

Reaction Score

Outside of Gilbert we have very little talent. Hurley is doing everything he can to change that.

Reaction Score
People want a Peak JC Years-caliber roster. They’ll never get it, but they’ll scream themselves blue in the face regardless. Look at the grumbles that already started when he extended an offer to a JUCO center. I don’t think they will ever be content with a Hurley-constructed roster.
Idk, he already has 3 top 100 players coming in at a minimum in his first recruiting class, with a relatively weak pitch considering how down we've been. I think he is going to construct very talented rosters. Hurley has shown to me that he is more than just a blue-collar workhorse, I think he has a very keen understanding of precisely how to succeed in modern college basketball, and we should give him plenty of time before writing him off as some coach with a mid-major recruiting ceiling and perspective. Like, what has he done to suggest that he isn't trying to construct and develop loaded rosters in the future?

Reaction Score
I think Hurley will construct great rosters, this is a crack staff.

Reaction Score
Let me do a little boneyard venting

1. We are so unlucky. It is so rare that we catch any breaks. We have bad luck with refs, fouls, injuries, and now buzzer beaters at extremely difficult angles.
2. We've lost too many close games this year. I'm tired of the "we're building a culture refrain" because some of these games can be won with adjustments and it is also still possible to build a culture while winning games against teams with equal or lesser talent than us.
3. While #2 is valid, it doesn't really apply to this game because that buzzer beater was just a crazy-hard shot to make while falling out of bounds on the baseline.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Idk, he already has 3 top 100 players coming in at a minimum in his first recruiting class, with a relatively weak pitch considering how down we've been. I think he is going to construct very talented rosters. Hurley has shown to me that he is more than just a blue-collar workhorse, I think he has a very keen understanding of precisely how to succeed in modern college basketball, and we should give him plenty of time before writing him off as some coach with a mid-major recruiting ceiling and perspective. Like, what has he done to suggest that he isn't trying to construct and develop loaded rosters in the future?

I’m not writing him off as having a mid-major ceiling. He’ll continue to build us up to a place that brings in Top 100 talent. That ceiling is just going to be lower than it was under JC, and there will still be slightly more flyers and projects on his rosters than there were during the glory years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not writing him off as having a a mid-major ceiling. He’ll continue to build us up to a place that brings in Top 100 talent. That ceiling is just going to be lower than it was under JC, and there will still be slightly more flyers and projects on his rosters than there were during the glory years.

This makes sense. Should still be good enough to be a top 3 team in this conference with a lot of top 100 talent year after year.

Reaction Score
Meant his choice
If true the staff should be all over trying to get Demarr Langford for next year. Eligible to reclassify, great defender and rebounder for a SG. Ik were in the mix for him already but I think it’s imperative we lock down top 100 guys who play in our state

Reaction Score
I’m not writing him off as having a mid-major ceiling. He’ll continue to build us up to a place that brings in Top 100 talent. That ceiling is just going to be lower than it was under JC, and there will still be slightly more flyers and projects on his rosters than there were during the glory years.
What is your actual take on Hurley as a coach? What are your expectations of him as a coach? Comparing him to JC, I don’t get much from that, same way if I compared 99.8 percent of coaches in college basketball to JC would I get much. Please explain.

Reaction Score

Well, excuse us for believing we can still put together a JC level roster bc we are UConn. We’ve done it before, to say it can’t be done again is extremely pessimistic and I think you are wrong. I think Hurley is going to put together some very talented classes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom