Post Game Thread: Thoughts on Cincy v. UConn

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Haven't heard that name in decades.
My boyhood hero
Thanks for the the memory

. . . .and Maurice "Rocket" Richard. My dad took me to a couple of games at the Forum way back when. We watched Canadian Hockey on TV because the only TV reception we could get was from Montreal. I think the only other sport on Canadian TV was wrestling.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Actually, no, it didn’t miss the point. In the post-season the point is to win, period. The time for finessing the fine points is over; it’s just time to win.

WCBB is entertainment provided by competition and performance and as with all entertainment the perceived quality depends pretty much on the level of performance.

Think of it this way. You go out for dinner at an expensive high end restaurant. Appetizers are great, the entree exquisitely prepared and perfectly matched to a great wine. Then the server brings out dessert. A stale tiramisu obviously out of a box that was opened a couple of days ago and barely edible.
Do you complain to the server, choke it down, or just pay up and walk out. A great dining experience or one not as good as it should have been because the dessert sucked?

Everyone understands the win or go home stuff, but winning the game against an opponent like Cincinnati is a given. The competition part of the entertainment equation doesn't exist. The only thing that makes watching the game worthwhile is the performance and the end of the bench performance is just not very entertaining.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
WCBB is entertainment provided by competition and performance and as with all entertainment the perceived quality depends pretty much on the level of performance.

Think of it this way. You go out for dinner at an expensive high end restaurant. Appetizers are great, the entree exquisitely prepared and perfectly matched to a great wine. Then the server brings out dessert. A stale tiramisu obviously out of a box that was opened a couple of days ago and barely edible.
Do you complain to the server, choke it down, or just pay up and walk out. A great dining experience or one not as good as it should have been because the dessert sucked?

Everyone understands the win or go home stuff, but winning the game against an opponent like Cincinnati is a given. The competition part of the entertainment equation doesn't exist. The only thing that makes watching the game worthwhile is the performance and the end of the bench performance is just not very entertaining.

Nice metaphor, but really the Uconn Women's Basketball Team is not a brigade of professional chefs. Some have more talent and more experience than others. And, outside of practice the only way they get to grow their talent and experience is at the end of blow out games. Learning to relax and just play in front of 9,000 screaming fans has got to take a while. What's the point in complaining about an inevitable process?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think everyone is missing the most impressive and rare statistic of the night - Azura Stevens scored 21 points. Cincinnati scored 21 points. Has that ever happened before, one player scoring as many points as an opposing team?

Heck with that!! Where heck is that Reuben Sandwich sold:D.

Reaction Score
UConn won by 50 points. Honestly, I get so exasperated sometimes.

Don't blame you one little bit - you've been so heavily involved, has to make you crazy sometimes. Love it when you cut thru the crap. Tonight (USF), we'll hear about how Lou couldn't buy a basket, where was Pheesa, everyone forgot how to make a layup, no big run, etc, ad nauseam. The girls beat a very good team. Period. And earned time for some R&R, clear their heads, chill. I think that's the point.

Reaction Score
I thought the USF staff finally figured out that they cannot play their preferred run and gun style and win (or stay close) against UConn. So they slowed it down and it enabled them to stay close when UConn's outside shot was off. Good experience for our team.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I thought the USF staff finally figured out that they cannot play their preferred run and gun style and win (or stay close) against UConn. So they slowed it down and it enabled them to stay close when UConn's outside shot was off. Good experience for our team.
I think that USF squad learned from UCF that slow and brutal approach to matching up with UConn. And the Laksa kid can really shoot the ball,too. Go Huskies! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom