Post game thread (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The general theme of this board and the media has been that Connecticut is so much deeper than last season. On paper we are, but we didn't get to see that today.

• Paige looked as though she wanted to be the facilitator of the offense to start the game, but quickly fell back into the role she occupied last year. A player who at times needs to carry the offense. She can score at will and is one of the best finishers around the rim that I have ever seen...as a guard.
  • Evina also looked good to me. She will be crucial if she can continue to shoot such a high % from 3.
  • Christyn was solid. I think today is what we can expect from her. She is going to be a streaky shooter from distance, and sub par from the FT line, but she will be aggressive going to the basket.
  • ONO/AE - poor defensive showing. Both need to clean up the fouls and get back into the rhythm of playing good D without fouling like they did last year.
  • Dorka - looked a bit overwhelmed. I'm intrigued to see how she fits, and how she looks against an opponent with more traditional size.
  • Fudd - anyone claiming she was going to be better than Bueckers was last year is mistaken. She's going to hit a lot of shots this year, but her defense was pretty awful from start to finish. I'm really intrigued to see what type of contribution she brings once she settles in.
  • Nika - she's going to play hard, but I think there are better options for the big time minutes this year. In an ideal world, her role is to bring pressure defense, hit open shots, and spell Bueckers some minutes at PG.
  • Caroline- freshman gitters. I think I'd be really happy if she can provide Megan Gardler type minutes this year. She won't be asked to shoulder a ton of responsibility, but is clearly capable of making an impact at this level.
Overall, we beat a team that I expect will creep into the top 25. Definitely some things to work on, but I anticipate we'll see improvement after another week of practice.
You saw what I saw. Good post.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
The facts speak for themselves. "It is what it is."

Reaction Score
In just 19 minutes, ONO committed three turnovers and four fouls. And then there were the numerous times Arkansas went past her or over her for baskets. Just one offensive rebound. Just nine points. Picking up from where she left it last year.

Arkansas guards just cut to the basket and dared UConn to either stop them or foul them. Very un-Geno-like that UConn failed repeatedly to stop the drive. That's something that Coach Geno's teams do better than anyone else.

Edwards couldn't stay on the court either. Another four fouls in less than 20 minutes.

But hand it to Arkansas. They were relentless. They were quick. They didn't commit turnovers. And they didn't miss free throws. Well coached team. Our bigs need to regroup. Yes, first game. But surprising that we didn't blow out a team that had lost its best three starters.

Reaction Score
two times Uconn has given up 76+ pts this calendar year, both to Arkansas. Only difference Dungee was not on this team. This team I always said will be a championship team IF they play championship defense. Not even close to being at that level. In 8 days they play South Carolina, before the game there was an outside chance of pulling now an upset, now a competitive game with them in the 4th would be a "moral victory."

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Only 10 bench points? So much for depth. The plus is, nowhere to go but up from here.
Where is the poster that said UConn's bench could be ranked in the top ten if they were a team unto itself? Also, unless UConn cleans improves it's free throw shooting, there is no way they will go undefeated. Hitting free throws could help the team pull away in a close game. They are vulnerable to any team that plays them close.

Reaction Score
Wow! fast posting. Page wins the game. Chrystin, Evina and Leah played well. Liv played like she did last year. Geno experimented---good job. Fudd, 1st game a dud. You won't like that, but I expected the 3 point phenom to wow us and it did not happen today. We will have to wait and see. Dorka was ok but we have no seen her best yet. Great layup scoring in the first half. Team really needs to listen to Geno and focus on defense. Arkansas drove the bassket constantly with success.

Mediocre first game. Page is the real winner. Need to improve alot to play against SC.
South Carolina didn’t play that great their first game and was shaky in the second game this season so I’ll say it’s an even match. UConn will be better

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
two times Uconn has given up 76+ pts this calendar year, both to Arkansas. Only difference Dungee was not on this team. This team I always said will be a championship team IF they play championship defense. Not even close to being at that level. In 8 days they play South Carolina, before the game there was an outside chance of pulling now an upset, now a competitive game with them in the 4th would be a "moral victory."
I’m not much for moral victories. Have a little faith.

Reaction Score
see that respect was not given before the game. I saw many predictions having Uconn win by 30+. According to rankings Arkansas is ranked 36th in the country. They should not be in a tight battle, having to play Paige 40 minutes vs the 36th team in the country at home.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
South Carolina didn’t play that great their first game and was shaky in the second game this season so I’ll say it’s an even match. UConn will be better
LOL South Carolina beat a top-5 team on the road by 9 points and then completely dominated a decent South Dakota team in South Dakota. What was "shaky" about that?

Reaction Score
Great first win for the Ladies! Of course there is some things to improve on but that is what it's all about. Freshman got their feet wet and the coaches got to experiment with some lineups. Defense is the obvious thing to work on along with Defensive rebounding. Offensively we could be a nightmare once it all clicks. Frustrating to see coach give up on Post players so early in the season. Perfect time to coach thru a potential problem with 3 post in foul trouble. Guards defensive play has to get better to help the Post players.

Reaction Score
Stop the ball! Sometimes one has to double team the ball and force someone to pick up the dribble. Arkansas never had to stop the dribble; not once.

Reaction Score
Not even close to being accurate.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Frustrating to see coach give up on Post players so early in the season.
Where on earth did you see Geno giving up on the post players? Just because he took them out of the game when they got a number of fouls too early in the game?

Or were you talking about the postgame press conference? He said there that he wants them to play and wants them to get opportunities, but they can't take themselves out of the game by getting dumb fouls. That is undoubtedly true as it applies to this game.

Reaction Score
Seven years ago today, UCONN squeaked by a good Florida State team 78-76. They looked very shaky. They did go on to beat #2 Baylor by 11 three days later and finish a 111 game win streak, before being upended by Mississippi State coached by the guy who beat Stanford today.

I'm not worried about how they will improve. Geno said, in his press conference, that Arkansas was playing with a plan that was difficult for the bigs on defense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seven years ago today, UCONN squeaked by a good Florida State team 78-76. They looked very shaky. They did go on to beat #2 Baylor by 11 three days later and finish a 111 game win streak, before being upended by Mississippi State coached by the guy who beat Stanford today.

I'm not worried about how they will improve. Geno said, in his press conference, that Arkansas was playing with a plan that was difficult for the bigs on defense.
Great post. I was thinking about that FL St game when Pheesa blocked a last 2nd shot to preserve the victory.

Reaction Score
I cant remember a UConn team playing worse defense.
1). Post defense: stand up with arms raised. But, dont move or you'll get a foul. I'll check the rule book, but I think you can play defense with 3 or 4 fouls.
2). Perimeter defense. I'll play off their guards as they're quick. But, I wont move my feet and let them blow by me & I hope to swipe at the ball when they get by me.
3). No weak side defense to speak of. When UConn players got beat, there was a free path to the basket or a wide-open shot. The rest of the UConn players just standing around watching.
4). The small Ark team outrebounded UConn for most of the game. That is pathetic. Shows a lot of aggressiveness & focus. Didnt get much better in the 2nd half which is worrisome.
5). Coaches deserve a big part of the blame hear. Perimeter defense was poor last year so you'd think it would be something to fix this year. But, bad techniques (not moving your feet and staying in front of the player) & bad habits continue...

Offense wasnt great either (except for Paige), but the defense was an embarrassment.
If Azzi wants to get minutes she needs to learn to play defense.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I was at the game and just got home, let me offer some “at game observations” that may be eluding some of our fans. #1 this Is Arkansas 4th game of the year, counting their exhibition, this was our 2nd. #2. Our team didn’t play 9 players in the 1st half during a highly touted game, when was the last time we saw that? #3. Were there nerves for our players, oh my gosh YES, you could see many new players trying to defer to other players on all their passes. Painful at times but still a process they need to learn when to pass and when to shoot. This team still had 20 assists to 11 turnovers, which is still good. #4. They had 8 steals against a guard orientated team, which is really good. #5 19 fouls was pathetic, some were also unbelievably ticky tack and some Arkansas fouls were completely missed as Liv got mauled a few times under the basket.
Last, #6. Paige just plays as a “slower pace” seeing when and how to score, pass and cut. It’s pretty impressive watching how effortless she makes it.
Remain calm, building chemistry among 9-10 players takes time with all the combos. Doesn’t anyone remember Stewie’s freshman year and how long it took that team to gel?
Ye gads, this group of fans IS SPOILED and that’s ok as long as we realize it. Stay the course and trust the process.

Reaction Score
The comment was the offense other than Paige.

Specifically
BostonBay said:

Offense wasnt great either (except for Paige)
Since Stewie graduated we have had trouble with penetrating guards aka Arkansas this and last year, Arizona last year. In my opinion we need that shot blocker who can rebound and give us 8 or 10 pts. We have enough scorers to get 80 per game. Defense,defense, defense.

Reaction Score
After you watch the Paige show and the rest of the UConn players, do some slow motion on Edward's picks. Particularly on some of Paige's drives, Edward rattled the teeth on some Arkansas defenders. If you used to smile when Dolson set picks, you will find this replay time well spent.

Reaction Score
The problem with our defense is that we don't know or forgot how to play defense to guard against the drive. We rarely beat our man to the spot and wind up bumping the player as they pass us or let them go or foul from behind or the side on the shot. These players from Arkansas don't cross over very frequently so it is just a matter of getting to the spot first. How many charges did we take today off of a drive? A big fat zero. That says it all. You get charges when you get to the spot first. Arkansas did a better job of stopping the dribble drive than we did. We were just standing there at times and not defending.

This matador defense will not win a championship. We can't expect Paige to get 34 every game to offset it. It's the same defense we played against Arizona. I rewatched part of that game today and I was shocked to see it. I really think it is a product of poor early training and AAU. Whatever the cause, it has to stop now. If you beat your man to the spot or try to it sends a message to the offensive player. One charge and that player backs off. Even a foul caused by an attempted charge can be effective.

On offense I'm only going to say that unless Azzi gets going, the points have to mostly come from Paige, CW and Evina just like today. Evina can't play one half of offense. She has to be aggressive the entire game and shoot and drive. I think Caroline, Dorka, and Azzi were very nervous today and hopefully that will end. We missed Aubrey a lot today. She is a great on ball defender and does get to the spot first and gets steals and deflections with her long arms. She also rebounds well defensively. The number of offensive rebounds by Arkansas today was disturbing. They are a small team. We have to box out all the time.

It's all fundamentals. I hope we can relearn them in a hurry. I think Geno will make sure of that. You don't defend well, you don't play. Have fun watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom