Post Game Reactions and Expectations. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post Game Reactions and Expectations.

Reaction Score
Giving up on a kid like that so early is self-defeating, so I agree with you. Let's think about the kids we could have given up on in the past, and we're glad we didn't.
I agree. A Larrier who can shoot at a respectable % takes this from a team fighting to make the tourni to one that is comfortably in. He should be given every chance to shoot, within reason.
The guys I think of the most Lamb and Giffey. Both guys had great looking shots but couldn't get them to fall consistently early. Lamb became deadly over the course of a season. Giffey over the course of a career.
Ollie sees Larrier daily. You've got to believe that Larrier can shoot, and just needs to find his groove.
That written, it will be difficult living through another season of a Purvis/Gibbs/Cassel type gunner if that's what Larrier ends up being.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I would say it’s not giving up on Larrier having him come off the bench to start the season. Vital is a better fit with our penetrating guards, as we know he will space the floor. As soon as Larrier gets back in his groove, I’m sure we can find a spot for him in the lineup. But you can argue vital has earned it.

Reaction Score
I would say it’s not giving up on Larrier having him come off the bench to start the season. Vital is a better fit with our penetrating guards, as we know he will space the floor. As soon as Larrier gets back in his groove, I’m sure we can find a spot for him in the lineup. But you can argue vital has earned it.

Vital has earned totally agree. But you can also argue the guards will be less effective without a threat to score from the foul line/perimeter or be able to take off the dribble from the perimeter. I mean you will have 2 low post guys in the line up with 3 guards and therefore the lane will be clogged on penetration. Larrier, as bad as people think he's been, is 0-8 from 3 but still shooting 44% over all. Take those 8 off the chart and you have a 50% shooter who just may need to realize his biggest impact is short jumpers and going to the hole when it's available.

Has he taken some bad shots, yeah but so has everyone else. Does he need to take care of the ball better, yep but so does everyone else. He needs to be in the lineup to keep things honest on the offensive end I believe and we need to give him time to get back on his feet per se. I mean he only played 2-3 games last year and now just 3 exhibitions, we need to be patient but we do need him and can't take away his confidence by sitting him. Just my 2 cents.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Larrier’s not coming off the bench. He, Adams and Gilbert are the most talented players on the team and you’d sorta like them on the court when the game starts.

One thing that I’ve taken from exhibition season is that the habit of giving up massive runs is still alive and well. A D2 team pulled off a 23-3 run around halftime.

Reaction Score
Larrier’s not coming off the bench. He, Adams and Gilbert are the most talented players on the team and you’d sorta like them on the court when the game starts.

One thing that I’ve taken from exhibition season is that the habit of giving up massive runs is still alive and well. A D2 team pulled off a 23-3 run around halftime.

That is scary isn't it? I mean they played solid D, mostly took are of the ball and then BAM, there's that team that thinks they're better than they are and all focus on the important stuff leaves. I really hope it's because the last 2 teams were so inferior to them, but this is a point of concern.

C

Chief00

Also, let's consider that's played 3 real games since the 2014-2015 season.

As always, Coach Calhoun's podcast was on target - he needs to work on his college game and not even think NBA yet. I also agree after an ACL it’s usual And 1 - meaning it takes a year of playing competitive ball to get back to where you were - and in Larrier’s case we could debate where that was?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My sense is you start Larrier. Vital comes in as the first guard off the bench, or comes in for Larrier if he's struggling in any particular game.

Feel good for Christian regardless. He's worked hard to improve his game and is playing with a ton of confidence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Next 3 games will tell us a lot more than the 3 exhibitions.
Not really. Colgate, Stony Brook, Boston U. awful schedule. Do not play for real until Dec 30. Merrimack and Queens. And they wonder why a total of 7000 showed up for the two exhibitions. I know a new team needs the games to define roles. But our home sched is a disgrace!

Reaction Score
Not really. Colgate, Stony Brook, Boston U. awful schedule. Do not play for real until Dec 30. Merrimack and Queens. And they wonder why a total of 7000 showed up for the two exhibitions. I know a new team needs the games to define roles. But our home sched is a disgrace!

This post is a disgrace.

Have you looked at our pre-Dec 30 schedule?

Reaction Score
Next three games, I agree, but....PK80???

Who is concerned about exhibition attendance?

Reaction Score

Pretty sure Kentucky will have a full house or close in 6 of their first 7 vs Utah Valley, Vermont, ETSU, Troy, Fort Wayne and UIC.

Duke will in their first 4 of 5 vs Elon, Utah Valley, Southern, Furman and Portland St.

Nova too with their first 5 vs columbia, Lafayette, Nicholls, Wes Kentucky and Penn

They all do it, UConns always did it but somehow there were full houses or close in the late 80's and 90's didn't matter who was coming in.

Reaction Score
This post is a disgrace.

Have you looked at our pre-Dec 30 schedule?
Yes I have. You should. After BU it is Columbia, Monmouth and Coppin St. The same Coppin AB torched for 40.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Are you responding to a 1979 post????
Have you looked at the pre January schedule? Are you only concerned with the home schedule?
The preseason is what it is - the schedule as to who you can play is dictated by NCAA

Reaction Score
Yes I have. You should. After BU it is Columbia, Monmouth and Coppin St. The same Coppin AB torched for 40.

Um, you're leaving out some key games there...

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Win and people will come. Most attended game last year was Wagner... why? Because we were pre season top 25 and there was buzz around the team and program coming off a top 10 recruiting class and a NCAA tourney appearance.

Reaction Score
Yes, the home games. However, I will be in MSG and at every home game, with my UCONN on. Lets Go Huskies. We all want the best for the team.

I see, go Huskies.

Reaction Score

For the first time in a very long time, I'm going into a season concerned that we are going to be awful. In fact, I don't recall ever feeling that. Maybe prior to the 2010-11 season (which thankfully I was very wrong about).

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Kentucky will have a full house or close in 6 of their first 7 vs Utah Valley, Vermont, ETSU, Troy, Fort Wayne and UIC.

Duke will in their first 4 of 5 vs Elon, Utah Valley, Southern, Furman and Portland St.

Nova too with their first 5 vs columbia, Lafayette, Nicholls, Wes Kentucky and Penn

They all do it, UConns always did it but somehow there were full houses or close in the late 80's and 90's didn't matter who was coming in.
You have made a statement about Fans not coming out not scheduling

Reaction Score

I didn't see the game. Did KO call a timeout early on in the run? Some coaches (JC) recognize a "run" soon after it starts and call a TO. There's a feel to the game some coaches have for when the momentum shifts.

Other coaches (KO?) need that "run" to hit double digits before they begin to realize something isn't right out there on the floor. And another 4 minutes of of "letting the players play through it" as everyone in the house is screaming for a TO before they finally call one.

That's where a player like Shabazz saved KO's butt many times by single handedly stopping another team's run without relying on the coach to do something.

I'm not a KO basher...but in-game adjustments, in-game "feel" has never been a strong point.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game. Did KO call a timeout early on in the run? Some coaches (JC) recognize a "run" soon after it starts and call a TO. There's a feel to the game some coaches have for when the momentum shifts.

Other coaches (KO?) need that "run" to hit double digits before they begin to realize something isn't right out there on the floor. And another 4 minutes of of "letting the players play through it" as everyone in the house is screaming for a TO before they finally call one.

That's where a player like Shabazz saved KO's butt many times by single handedly stopping another team's run without relying on the coach to do something.

I'm not a KO basher...but in-game adjustments, in-game "feel" has never been a strong point.

Yes, KO did call a time-out early in Colgate's run.

Also, UConn followed up that 23 - 3 run with a 15 - 0 run of their own. And won the game by almost 60 points.

Reaction Score
The only take away from these exhibitions is that our incoming big men are better players than expected.

Starting lineup will not be 3 little guards. It will be Jalen, Rique. Polley, Larrier, and probably Whaley.

I think Carlton and Whaley are the 2 best bigs on the roster and it's not even close. I'd probably start Whaley because of his activity and energy, and length is better than any other big.

Reaction Score
Vital has earned totally agree. But you can also argue the guards will be less effective without a threat to score from the foul line/perimeter or be able to take off the dribble from the perimeter. I mean you will have 2 low post guys in the line up with 3 guards and therefore the lane will be clogged on penetration. Larrier, as bad as people think he's been, is 0-8 from 3 but still shooting 44% over all. Take those 8 off the chart and you have a 50% shooter who just may need to realize his biggest impact is short jumpers and going to the hole when it's available.

Has he taken some bad shots, yeah but so has everyone else. Does he need to take care of the ball better, yep but so does everyone else. He needs to be in the lineup to keep things honest on the offensive end I believe and we need to give him time to get back on his feet per se. I mean he only played 2-3 games last year and now just 3 exhibitions, we need to be patient but we do need him and can't take away his confidence by sitting him. Just my 2 cents.
Christian Vital is playing very well on both ends of the court. His game is going to be better than last year and having him do what he does well is crucial to the team's success this year. Terry Larrier is a different player with arguably a much higher ceiling. He is 6:9 and long and mobile. Also very athletic with the skills of a guard. He is able to score from anywhere, mixing it up with the taller players Uconn will see most of the season. I submit that he has the best midrange game on the team, even if we haven't seen it all, and should be both one of our leading scorers as well as one of our top rebounders. Defensively he is able to guard multiple positions. Larrier in the lineup gives Uconn much more versatility than playing 3 smaller guards and two post players. He's a slasher, the guy in the lane, high post, low post, perimeter. Very hard to guard because of all this; very hard for other teams to match up with him. He is poised for a terrific season if he can pull it all together. Larrier is Uconn's X factor more so than anyone else. I do not think anyone is really sure exactly what level he will play at this year, but if he focuses on his shot selection, team play, and his defense, his contributions this year could be impressive. He is a gunner, there is no doubt, so toning this down fractionally, and looking for his teammates more as a facilitator, will really help not only himself as a player, but more importantly this team as a whole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom