Post game presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post game presser

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It shows how thin our rooster is that we have kids starting to show wear and tear. It also shows just how important Kia is to this team. (BTW she looked great in civil clothes didn't she?)

I've alluded to in a few threads, but this team has a ton of flaws depth being at the top of the list. Geno and staff have done a masterful job of hiding them. Healthy we're a very good team but we aren't the juggernaut that that casual fan believes us to be.

Gary Apple said to Kara that this game was the best of all possible worlds, a wake call without a loss. Let is also be cautionary note of being too overconfident on the board. There inevitably is a price to pay for that. :eek:

Yes, but what the heck was Kia thinking wearing a green dress to a Tulane game? I think the nailbiter was all her fault. She reversed the mojo. At least she later partially covered it up with a navy blue jacket. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes, but what the heck was Kia thinking wearing a green dress to a Tulane game? I think the nailbiter was all her fault. She reversed the mojo. At least she later partially covered it up with a navy blue jacket. ;)

She also put her hair in a bun during the game. makes one wonder......

Reaction Score
Lou and Napheesa are sophomores and Crystal is a freshman but we need them to be upperclassmen. I think the moment is finally hitting them. They're tired and emotionally wrung out and there's no Stewie, Morgan, or Mo to take over. It's all on them. That has to be huge. They may regroup, and my bet is that they will, but don't be surprised if there are more rocky games in the meantime.
+1

In the NFL, the sense is that rookies have rough final quarters of the season because they're just not used to playing that hard for that long. Lou was the fifth wheel last year, and only started full-time with conference play. And, let's be honest, as really, really tough as she is, she's prone to colds and minor ailments. If this were next year's incredibly deep team, I'd tell Lou to take a week off from basketball. Maybe Gabby, too. But all hands on deck this year....

Reaction Score
Gee, one bad game and the last three conference games are all going to be barn burners? I am always one of the voices of pessimism on this board.....you will see that my prediction was the closest on the winning side for the Tulane game.....and yet I believe that a team doesn't go from defeating many of the best teams in college basketball to a shell of itself over night.....have a little faith!!!!!
I agree. IMO an SC hangover, missing Kia, and so on caused a close game...but still a Win. And, let's give our girls the credit they deserve...they have beaten everyone they played, including the best in the country. Geno, CD and Staff will right the ship. As in the movie "Remember the Titans", at Half Time of the State Championship, the Titans are trailing and Coach Boone says something like, "We're in a battle, those guys are beating us up... but Win or Lose, we leave this stadium with our heads held high"... Team Captain Julius interrupts and says words to the effect... "No body is perfect, I know I'm not, but we have won every game, until now...and as a Team we are Perfect... and that's how we want to leave this stadium tonight." Of course they go out and score the winning touchdown with time running out. Our Girls are PERFECT, and they find a way to win. This game was "ugly", but even an Ugly Win is a WIN. Hang in their Huskies! Play Husky Ball and make yourselves and your fans proud!!!

Reaction Score
Well we can blame the refs for a poorly called game, but it was called poorly both ways. We got a couple lucky breaks too.

It's not just the poor ref calls, it's the inconsistencies. They called the 4th quarter completely different from the rest of the game. This was done as a group, not just a single ref. This had to be frustrating to Tulane.

The way the refs called touch fouls in the 4the quarter actually helped tulane, because of the way UConn was missing free throws.

Reaction Score
The wrong team won is a shot at his own team and for motivation. The right team won. Nobody cheated Tulane out of a victory. On their worst night of the year UConn still managed to find a way to win.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Missed the game (1st time this year), so no basis for observation, which of course won't stop me (or most of us):

this will give all future opponents great incentive to play their hearts out; to be the one to end the streak. As such, competition-wise it elevates the conference games against Temple, USF, and one or both of them in the conference playoffs into the equivalent of at least sweet 16 NCAA tournament games.

while adding a lot of pressure, this isn't such a bad thing, if the purpose of the next couple of weeks isn't to go undefeated so much as to be tournament-ready.
I am going to disagree here, because if any team comes at UConn with the thought that 'Tulane almost beat them, and were better than Tulane' they have already lost the game. I think Baylor and especially ND did exactly that - they looked at that first game against FSU and went, 'Piece o' cake' and proceeded to get smacked down. I know you are talking about 40 minutes of effort, but everyone thinks they are putting in all 40 minutes.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
She also put her hair in a bun during the game. makes one wonder.

She apparently finally figured out that she was offending the mojo gods and made proper amends. Kudos to her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gee, one bad game and the last three conference games are all going to be barn burners? I am always one of the voices of pessimism on this board.....you will see that my prediction was the closest on the winning side for the Tulane game.....and yet I believe that a team doesn't go from defeating many of the best teams in college basketball to a shell of itself over night.....have a little faith!!!!!
TitleTown could be right, though. Lou looks like she's dragging herself around the court and has for several games now. I thought it was the flu then it was the after effects of the flu but now I think she's just hit the wall. That's not any kind of criticism, just an observation. Everyone knows that moment when they've reached their limit, physically, mentally, and/or emotionally and they just can't go on. Knowing you have to do it all again, and soon, is just another kind of stress.

That Kia and Crystal have has stress reactions tells us they're on the court too much. But what's Geno to do? He has no options, unless he wants Lou to play some point as well as be one of the leading scorers. Poor kid. The players are banged up and playing too many minutes, and it's showing.

Those 10-14 days between the end of the regular season and the post season can't come soon enough. Every year we worry the kids will be rusty after a layoff then they come out and steamroll some poor first round opponent by 70. That's because they're rested and as healthy as they can be at that point in the season. This team is no more dinged up than any other - it's just more noticeable with fewer players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lots of reasons why UConn underperformed last night. IMO, the absence of Kia was the single most critical reason.

We've talked about the greatness of the Core-4 all season. To me, it's as simple as a 4-legged stool. If you remove one leg, the stool doesn't function properly and is likely to fall over.

UConn was able to mask Kia's injury during the SC game because she was able to play 18 courageous minutes and Danger came up big off the bench. Against Tulane, with no Kia and both Danger & Saniya less than effective, UConn's bubble nearly burst.

With more of the same in store for Wednesday night vs Temple, we're all anxious to see how the Huskies respond.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I give Tulane a ton of credit for playing full bore for 40 minutes and for taking advantage of a vulnerable looking UConn team. Kudos to them.

However - they only scored 60 points. Gabby scored two if those points and at least a couple shots were prayers that TU threw wildly at the basket at the last second, including the luckiest three I've ever seen. But a lot, and I mean a LOT, like 22 points, came off UConn's 18 turnovers. How often are the Huskies going to turn the ball over that many times? If UConn hadn't given away so many points, folks would have been a lot happier even with the offense sputtering.

A function of that is not having Kia, of course, but she barely played against South Carolina and when she was in, she wasn't her usual self, so I don't think Kia's absence was as big a deal as some make out. IMO, the offense hasn't been just right for a few games. I would guess its the physical and emotional toll on the team that depends on so many young players to be successful. Opponents are being really physical and with a short bench, it has more impact than in other years.

Lou and Napheesa are sophomores and Crystal is a freshman but we need them to be upperclassmen. I think the moment is finally hitting them. They're tired and emotionally wrung out and there's no Stewie, Morgan, or Mo to take over. It's all on them. That has to be huge.

They may regroup, and my bet is that they will, but don't be surprised if there are more rocky games in the meantime.

Over the past several seasons, we have been prone to having an occasional high turnover game (15-20+). Better than 9 out of 10 times it didn't really affect the outcome of any games because the level of the opponent's talent was generally so inferior. It gave Geno something to drill them on in practice and that was about it. This season, we can't afford to have one of those games much beyond the Sweet 16 round of the NCAAs, because there are several teams out there that can take advantage of that and turn an L into a W for them. We won't get away with it against Baylor, FSU, SC and a few others.

Reaction Score
I would hope with 5 more minutes in OT scenario we would regain composure.... 1 more minute probably not. :(
Let's not go to overtime, and have Pheesa foul-out. Let's just take our 3pt victory and run off the court.

Reaction Score
Missed the game (1st time this year), so no basis for observation, which of course won't stop me (or most of us):

this will give all future opponents great incentive to play their hearts out; to be the one to end the streak. As such, competition-wise it elevates the conference games against Temple, USF, and one or both of them in the conference playoffs into the equivalent of at least sweet 16 NCAA tournament games.

while adding a lot of pressure, this isn't such a bad thing, if the purpose of the next couple of weeks isn't to go undefeated so much as to be tournament-ready.
As you will see when you watch the game video, it was a great game. I think the criticism of UConn is really not especially merited. Did they play below their ability? Probably. Did we make mistakes, like turn the ball over? Yup. Did we miss free throws? Uh huh. But that alone will not necessarily beat the greatest teams. And it really does remain to be seen if this group of Huskies qualifies as a truly great team. Assuming the answer is "no", then giving them every benefit of the doubt are fortunate to have won. And we can chalk this up to a short bench, missing a key player, bad shooting, improved competition, and a Tulane team that played out of its mind.

Reaction Score
As you will see when you watch the game video, it was a great game. I think the criticism of UConn is really not especially merited. Did they play below their ability? Probably. Did we make mistakes, like turn the ball over? Yup. Did we miss free throws? Uh huh. But that alone will not necessarily beat the greatest teams. And it really does remain to be seen if this group of Huskies qualifies as a truly great team. Assuming the answer is "no", then giving them every benefit of the doubt are fortunate to have won. And we can chalk this up to a short bench, missing a key player, bad shooting, improved competition, and a Tulane team that played out of its mind.
But of the things you list, the only one that UConn can control for is the missing of a key player. Leaving aside the question of which starter on this team isn't "key," that particular "key" player--shall we call her "Keya" :) -- isn't likely to be playing at full speed for a couple of games at least. I'm not arguing that UConn won't be better next game, just that a historical "fact" has been created: there is now a perception that if all these very reasonable variables you list obtain in the future, UConn is beatable. And that will be an encouraging prospect for UConn's opponents.

Reaction Score
On defense, there were a few instances where Crystal did not know here defensive assignment. I can hear her teammates shouting and pointing where she should be.

I hope to see fewer instances like this next game. BTW, I am a huuuge Dangerfield fan. I look forward to when her defense catches up to her advance offensive skills.

Reaction Score
But of the things you list, the only one that UConn can control for is the missing of a key player. Leaving aside the question of which starter on this team isn't "key," that particular "key" player--shall we call her "Keya" :) -- isn't likely to be playing at full speed for a couple of games at least. I'm not arguing that UConn won't be better next game, just that a historical "fact" has been created: there is now a perception that if all these very reasonable variables you list obtain in the future, UConn is beatable. And that will be an encouraging prospect for UConn's opponents.
I am sure there is that perception, and the perception is born of the reality. As Geno has been saying all along, this team is beatable. I do not say that critically. It speaks to both the limitations of this team, and the relative improvements among other teams. As many others have already commented, there are just so many variables that affect performance at this time of the year. But one thing is clear: this team is not loaded with superstars who have reached the pinnacle of their college careers (not yet). Under certain circumstances -- a short bench, a good game plan and execution by an opponent, an off night by one of our "key" players -- the game can be close. And when that happens, well, then anything can happen.

All being said, I would think most fans are and would be perfectly happy to enjoy the ride.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
We played scared, particularly during the 4Q. I'm not sure why. We would have lost that game to even a slightly more talented team than Tulane.
Because these kids are human and this streak (that they had no rightful expectation of maintaining this far) weighs a ton by now. Reminded me of the Nova loss in the BEast tourney and the streak we had going at that time. Without that loss I don't know that we would've won the Natty that year...it relieved a world of pressure and allowed DT to [re]focus and get back to work! ;)

Enter the trap game against a well coached and feisty Tulane squad, away and coming off the biggest win of the season to date against SC...no one but Phee able to make a shot and she's in foul trouble (at least 2 bogus calls on her). Took a freshman PG who had just missed a few critical FT's to redeem herself, steal the ball and seal the win.

Great game in the sense that we got a major wake-up call without taking a loss. Temple is all bigged-up now heading into our game Wednesday having just dispatched SFla in pretty convincing fashion. Looking forward to our crew's response on Wednesday and wish I was a fly-on-the-wall at our practices today and tomorrow.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Geno "The wrong team won tonight"

I don't often disagree with Geno; but, that was a totally Stupid thing to say.

Many posters on this website take their cue from Geno and pile on whether it be praise or criticism. For this particular game, the piling on was way overboard. The next three games will be blowouts, as will the AAC tournament games, round 1 and 2 of the NCAA tournament, and at least the first game of the Bridgeport Regional. Take it to the bank…..

The fact is that this game was never in doubt. Just watch the video and Geno's body language. H wasn't sweating it. I think he would love to get that loss out of the way as a loss to Tulane would have been mostly painless as everyone would know that it was just a "one off" and the players wouldn’t be too scarred. NOW, should the loss come in the Final Four it will be devastating to this group of totally committed and extremely talented young women. They have given their all every time out and we should all be celebrating their accomplishments.

Cripes, we have just 6 players...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't often disagree with Geno; but, that was a totally Stupid thing to say.
The fact is that this game was never in doubt. Just watch the video and Geno's body language. H wasn't sweating it.
The game was very much in doubt and if you were watching the scoreboard instead of watching Geno you would have noted that with 1:20 remaining in the game the score was UCONN 59:Tulane 57. BTW Tulane had possession of the ball. In UCONN last lost at Stanford in 2014 with 1:20 to go in the game UCONN was actually up 5 points.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The game was very much in doubt and if you were watching the scoreboard instead of watching Geno you would have noted that with 1:20 remaining in the game the score was UCONN 59:Tulane 57. BTW Tulane had possession of the ball. In UCONN last lost at Stanford in 2014 with 1:20 to go in the game UCONN was actually up 5 points.
And UConn didn't deserve to win. The team was out hustled and outplayed.

Reaction Score
Some of you are just plain nuts. How did they not deserve to win? They were winning the whole game. Tulane never led at all. Did they play bad? Yes. Tulane probably played their best game of the year. Fans just expect way too much.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
[QUOTE=".....In UCONN last lost at Stanford in 2014 with 1:20 to go in the game UCONN was actually up 5 points.[/QUOTE]

Agh CocoHusky, you make me smile.

Totally different and very evenly matched teams:

UCONN: Stewart, Mosqueda-Lewis, Stokes, Jefferson, Chong, Nurse and Tuck
Stanford: McCall, Orrance, Thompson, the two Samuelson's, Greenfield and Johnson.

UCONN won the first half 40 to 38; Stanford won the second half 39 to 37; Stanford won OT 11 to 9.

Here’s what happened:

UCONN up by 3 with 11.8 seconds on the clock, in regulation.

During the Stanford timeout, Geno decides to focus on stopping Bonnie Samuelson from shooting the three. The right play was to foul on the inbound and send Stanford to the line for two foul shots, leaving UCONN up by one (at worst) and with the ball. Instead, Orrange drains an uncontested three from the corner and it went to overtime…

Soooo, if you were paying attention – that loss was on Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom