Post game presser | The Boneyard

Post game presser

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
geno - when you play well, should have expectation of winning, when you play badly, you don't. The wrong team won tonight. My guys had no business winning tonight.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hopefully he gave some credit to Tulane because they had something to do with it...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When you're missing shots, someone needs to step up and make some. Geno disappointed people not shooting tonight.

Napheesa is someone you can count on every night, she doesn't get a lot of credit for it.

I love when things like this happen. Why doesn't this happen more often?

Reaction Score
Whatever league we're in, only a matter of time until someone figures us out.
He's right. When he said it I immediately thought of ND in the last years of the Big East.

Reaction Score
There are many things that can be said, have already been said, and will be said about this game. One of them is that to beat UConn, you have to play hard 40 minutes, force turnovers, shoot the lights out, hope UConn misses shots, keep the score close, get to the bench, and hope Kia isn't playing. If you can do all that, then you might have a chance.

But (to quote Geno), not tonight!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
He gave them a ton of credit, said they should have won

He said that the Tulane players just played their hearts out and it's a shame they had to lose, because they deserved to win. Our guys sure didn't deserve it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He said that the Tulane players just played their hearts out and it's a shame they had to lose, because they deserved to win. Our guys sure didn't deserve it.

We played scared, particularly during the 4Q. I'm not sure why. We would have lost that game to even a slightly more talented team than Tulane.

Reaction Score
We played scared, particularly during the 4Q. I'm not sure why. We would have lost that game to even a slightly more talented team than Tulane.

Or if there was 1 more minute in the game.. that buzzer could not come soon soon enough for me. Fun and exciting game to watch but rather frustrating/surprised to see the team struggle. Props to Tulane for balling all 40 minutes. Like Geno said, sooner or later the level of play will rise in the AAC.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Or if there was 1 more minute in the game.. that buzzer could not come soon soon enough for me. Fun and exciting game to watch but rather frustrating/surprised to see the team struggle. Props to Tulane for balling all 40 minutes. Like Geno said, sooner or later the level of play will rise in the AAC.

Or if they make the three at the buzzer and you've got a five minute longer game, with them headed into OT with all the momentum. I've been to Fogelman Arena a few times and it's an extremely loud venue when the home crowd is amped, as they certainly were last night.

Reaction Score
Or if they make the three at the buzzer and you've got a five minute longer game, with them headed into OT with all the momentum. I've been to Fogelman Arena a few times and it's an extremely loud venue when the home crowd is amped, as they certainly were last night.

I would hope with 5 more minutes in OT scenario we would regain composure.... 1 more minute probably not. :(

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I would hope with 5 more minutes in OT scenario we would regain composure.... 1 more minute probably not. :(

Let's be glad that we didn't have to find out what would have happened. Tulane may have just run out of time.

Reaction Score
Missed the game (1st time this year), so no basis for observation, which of course won't stop me (or most of us):

this will give all future opponents great incentive to play their hearts out; to be the one to end the streak. As such, competition-wise it elevates the conference games against Temple, USF, and one or both of them in the conference playoffs into the equivalent of at least sweet 16 NCAA tournament games.

while adding a lot of pressure, this isn't such a bad thing, if the purpose of the next couple of weeks isn't to go undefeated so much as to be tournament-ready.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Missed the game (1st time this year), so no basis for observation, which of course won't stop me (or most of us):

this will give all future opponents great incentive to play their hearts out; to be the one to end the streak. As such, competition-wise it elevates the conference games against Temple, USF, and one or both of them in the conference playoffs into the equivalent of at least sweet 16 NCAA tournament games.

while adding a lot of pressure, this isn't such a bad thing, if the purpose of the next couple of weeks isn't to go undefeated so much as to be tournament-ready.
I give Tulane a ton of credit for playing full bore for 40 minutes and for taking advantage of a vulnerable looking UConn team. Kudos to them.

However - they only scored 60 points. Gabby scored two if those points and at least a couple shots were prayers that TU threw wildly at the basket at the last second, including the luckiest three I've ever seen. But a lot, and I mean a LOT, like 22 points, came off UConn's 18 turnovers. How often are the Huskies going to turn the ball over that many times? If UConn hadn't given away so many points, folks would have been a lot happier even with the offense sputtering.

A function of that is not having Kia, of course, but she barely played against South Carolina and when she was in, she wasn't her usual self, so I don't think Kia's absence was as big a deal as some make out. IMO, the offense just hasn't been right for a few games. I would guess it's the physical and emotional toll on the team that depends on so many young players to be successful. Opponents are being really physical and with a short bench, it has more impact than in other years.

Lou and Napheesa are sophomores and Crystal is a freshman but we need them to be upperclassmen. I think the moment is finally hitting them. They're tired and emotionally wrung out and there's no Stewie, Morgan, or Mo to take over. It's all on them. That has to be huge.

They may regroup, and my bet is that they will, but don't be surprised if there are more rocky games in the meantime.

Reaction Score
I give Tulane a ton of credit for playing full bore for 40 minutes and for taking advantage of a vulnerable looking UConn team. Kudos to them.

However - they only scored 60 points. Gabby scored two if those points and at least a couple shots were prayers that TU threw wildly at the basket at the last second, including the luckiest three I've ever seen. But a lot, and I mean a LOT, like 22 points, came off UConn's 18 turnovers. How often are the Huskies going to turn the ball over that many times? If UConn hadn't given away so many points, folks would have been a lot happier even with the offense sputtering.

A function of that is not having Kia, of course, but she barely played against South Carolina and when she was in, she wasn't her usual self, so I don't think Kia's absence was as big a deal as some make out. IMO, the offense hasn't been just right for a few games. I would guess its the physical and emotional toll on the team that depends on so many young players to be successful. Opponents are being really physical and with a short bench, it has more impact than in other years.

Lou and Napheesa are sophomores and Crystal is a freshman but we need them to be upperclassmen. I think the moment is finally hitting them. They're tired and emotionally wrung out and there's no Stewie, Morgan, or Mo to take over. It's all on them. That has to be huge.

They may regroup, and my bet is that they will, but don't be surprised if there are more rocky games in the meantime.

Very well said and great post Nan! I agree that they are going to have a tough final 3 games of the regular season. Especially the games against Temple and USF could be real dog fights.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It shows how thin our rooster is that we have kids starting to show wear and tear. It also shows just how important Kia is to this team. (BTW she looked great in civilian clothes didn't she?)

I've alluded to in a few threads, but this team has a ton of flaws with depth being at the top of the list. Geno and staff have done a masterful job of hiding them. Healthy we're a very good team but we aren't the juggernaut that that casual fan believes us to be.

Gary Apple said to Kara that this game was the best of all possible worlds, a wake call without a loss. Let it also be cautionary note of being too overconfident on the board. There inevitably is a price to pay for that. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A function of that is not having Kia, of course, but she barely played against South Carolina and when she was in, she wasn't her usual self, so I don't think Kia's absence was as big a deal as some make out. IMO, the offense hasn't been just right for a few games. I would guess its the physical and emotional toll on the team that depends on so many young players to be successful. Opponents are being really physical and with a short bench, it has more impact than in other years.

Yes, its always good to hear your voice of reason. This game was a lesson, not just for the team, but, some here. Its one game, and sometimes, "stuff" happens. Yes, they will regroup. And, also bet, that next time, when the its crunch time, Crystal will hit those free throws. And, more importantly, in the next few weeks before tourney time, Geno will have Lou playing through contact instead of shying away from it. It'll come, let's hope sooner, rather than later.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the refs. They didn't turn over the ball or miss shots - or pass up shots.
I won't blame the refs for the close game but I was disappointed with the inconsistent game calling (against both sides). No calls earlier in the game were whistled later on. Players and coaches need consistency so they know how physical they can play.

Reaction Score
Very well said and great post Nan! I agree that they are going to have a tough final 3 games of the regular season. Especially the games against Temple and USF could be real dog fights.

Gee, one bad game and the last three conference games are all going to be barn burners? I am always one of the voices of pessimism on this board..........you will see that my prediction was the closest on the winning side for the Tulane game...............and yet I believe that a team doesn't go from defeating many of the best teams in college basketball to a shell of itself over night..........have a little faith!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom