Post Game Interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post Game Interview

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
David Borges@DaveBorges
Jalen Adams: “We’ve got to stick to our offense. It’ll work. We’ve got to trust coach and the staff. They give us a whole set of plays to run, and we’ve got to run them thoroughly. Eventually, they’ll work, once we start making shots. Then, the floor will open a lot more.”
6:11 PM - Nov 26, 2017

David Borges@DaveBorges
Ollie: “We’re getting the sets we want ... If you break down the tape, we’ve got plenty of shots in the first half that we can make. That’s what we run our offense for ..."
6:19 PM - Nov 26, 2017

David Borges@DaveBorges
Ollie (cont'd): "... At the end of the day, we’ve got to make shots, cut harder and put guys in position. And we’ve got to make them. We can’t take forced shots. When we get down, we try to do it by ourselves, and that’s not our game plan.”
6:20 PM - Nov 26, 2017
Uh-oh. Another McAdooism - reviewing the tape. Game just ended and he knows he'll see good things on tape after a 35 (could've been 40+) point loss?

Reaction Score
Arkanasas wasn't hot they were confident. Getting an early lead and increasing it will do it. The basket gets bigger, your legs get stronger and if you have a killer instinct then the opponent will die.

We gave them confidence galore, then appeared to quit which a killer instinct thrives on.

If he wants to say they were hot then I say we turned on the stove and forgot to set the temperature. Consequently the oven never stopped heating.

Furthermore Arkansas took 'our' fire extinguishers and were liberally spraying our team and coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Okay great with all I'm reading above all I see is "we got our shots", "our offense was ok", Jalen - "we've got to run our offense"

Hey dips**ts you gave up 105 points this wasn't ALL about offense it was about crappy defense and you were the leader of that Jalen - sit his butt and make him watch his lackluster effort guarding people and going after loose balls, or shall I sy watching loose balls. I am more than sick of his game so far this year he plays like he thinks he's a star and he is far from it. Nice clutch 3's when they didn't count but you know he was trying to get his points at the end, that was important to him and that is total BS.

Reaction Score
Okay great with all I'm reading above all I see is "we got our shots", "our offense was ok", Jalen - "we've got to run our offense"

Hey dips**ts you gave up 105 points this wasn't ALL about offense it was about crappy defense and you were the leader of that Jalen - sit his butt and make him watch his lackluster effort guarding people and going after loose balls, or shall I sy watching loose balls. I am more than sick of his game so far this year he plays like he thinks he's a star and he is far from it. Nice clutch 3's when they didn't count but you know he was trying to get his points at the end, that was important to him and that is total BS.

Mau, he's not serious about his game. Talent means nothing without effort. Just can't understand why KO doesnt hold his players accountable. There is no Bazz, Boat or Kemba out there who can will tbe team to play better. This is a leaderless team starting from the top.

Reaction Score

I noticed he posed after hoisting a 3 late in the 2nd half (down 30). He did one of those Steph Curry poses which at that moment I lost some respect for him.

Of course he clanked it.

Humble he ain't.

Reaction Score

Whats worse is Adams defense when compared Gilberts, and Larriers makes him look like Scottie Pippen. This is right though. Our offense sucked. We don't share the ball. We take ill-advised off balance shots early in the clock. We run pick and roll and never hit the roller. We run pick and roll and after a kick to the corner never roll and replace and keep the ball moving to the opposite side of the court. We have guys that are soft at the rim (TL and AG). We have Freshman and inexperienced bigs that are not strong enough yet. So the offense sucks. But that can be looked at as a process. There is no reason that defensive intensity, communication, hustle and effort should ever be questioned regardless of the offense. I can't count the number of times we gave up a wide open three due to either a lack of communication, a lack of hedge by a big, or a heartless putrid closeout. That stuff is unacceptable. And Ollie should be talking about that in the post game. Not about the other team getting hot. Its terrible to say but after that effort, Ollie needs to have a serious dump or get off the pot talk with this team. You don't play hard for every second your in the game. You sit. Even if you are more talented than the guy replacing you. And even if he is less successful but plays harder he will stay in the game for your minutes.

Reaction Score
Please actually read Dave Borges' article on the game and don't be lazy just reading someone else's tweets. There's more that was said by the coach and players. And honestly, what do you want them to say? "We suck, the season's over on Nov 26, bench/fire me now".

Reaction Score
Whats worse is Adams defense when compared Gilberts, and Larriers makes him look like Scottie Pippen. This is right though. Our offense sucked. We don't share the ball. We take ill-advised off balance shots early in the clock. We run pick and roll and never hit the roller. We run pick and roll and after a kick to the corner never roll and replace and keep the ball moving to the opposite side of the court. We have guys that are soft at the rim (TL and AG). We have Freshman and inexperienced bigs that are not strong enough yet. So the offense sucks. But that can be looked at as a process. There is no reason that defensive intensity, communication, hustle and effort should ever be questioned regardless of the offense. I can't count the number of times we gave up a wide open three due to either a lack of communication, a lack of hedge by a big, or a heartless putrid closeout. That stuff is unacceptable. And Ollie should be talking about that in the post game. Not about the other team getting hot. Its terrible to say but after that effort, Ollie needs to have a serious dump or get off the pot talk with this team. You don't play hard for every second your in the game. You sit. Even if you are more talented than the guy replacing you. And even if he is less successful but plays harder he will stay in the game for your minutes.

Nailed it!

Reaction Score
My personal impression is that Ollie is still trying to be one of the guys - he needs to transition to being a tough love bashterd. He'd better do it quick.

Reaction Score

Most of what you say is true for sure agree, but Jalen's defense is nothing compared to Alterique. Larger and Jalen are lazy defenders and Jalen never guards his guy close. I take that back, Jalen guarded hard and tight the end of the Oregon game when they all did, proved he could and he rebounded and fought for balls. None of that at all today and lucky if you got a fake hand in the face from him or Larrier. AG was not good on D today because he is hurting on the left shoulder and couldn't cut people off. Other than today he's been very good, occasionally floats a little off ball look ing to make plays but he can get in guards grills and I like that. CV works hard as does Anderson too.

Reaction Score
I cannot ever imagine Calhoun saying "when a team gets that hot, it's kind of hard to stop them" KO - come back to earth man. You CANNOT have this losers mentality. Next practice should be in Guyer Gym without basketballs. They don't deserve to practice in the brand new facility for a few days. Let JC have them and see what happens - win or lose that was a BS effort today.

Reaction Score
Most of what you say is true for sure agree, but Jalen's defense is nothing compared to Alterique. Larger and Jalen are lazy defenders and Jalen never guards his guy close. I take that back, Jalen guarded hard and tight the end of the Oregon game when they all did, proved he could and he rebounded and fought for balls. None of that at all today and lucky if you got a fake hand in the face from him or Larrier. AG was not good on D today because he is hurting on the left shoulder and couldn't cut people off. Other than today he's been very good, occasionally floats a little off ball look ing to make plays but he can get in guards grills and I like that. CV works hard as does Anderson too.

It may be injury, and I wasn't aware that shoulder is still causing him problems, however I didn't say what I said off of just today. I've watched him very closely in isolation, both on and off the ball this year and his effort is lack luster on the defensive end other than a handful of possessions against lesser competition. He is rarely in a low stance, rarely moving his feet and as I call it with my team "defensive jabbing stepping" the ball handler, he is not frenetic enough, he is passive on the ball not in attack mode, rarely deflecting the ball and worse some of his closeouts (in this game and others) usually off a scramble rotational defense have been atrocious (Like I give up, atrocious). Sure there have been a few occasions where he has pressed up and attempted to play solid on ball defense but as a whole his defensive effort is not acceptable. Which I believe is why he sat to start the second half for sure. Whether its injury, or because he is down on himself for his slow shooting starts or whatever, something needs to change. He and KO know full well he has the ability to be a scrappy quick twitched gnat on the defensive end who at the very least is making it extremely difficult for the opposing team to get into their offense. But I digress. Just something I've been sitting on after watching closely. Corrections need to be made. The tape don't lie. Its up to Ollie to view right, be a leader and hold him accountable, among others, and motivate him properly. I say with extremely timid optimism, We will see...........

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but when you give up 102 points to a team projected to finish third in a weak sec the main problem is not the offense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I cannot ever imagine Calhoun saying "when a team gets that hot, it's kind of hard to stop them" KO - come back to earth man. You CANNOT have this losers mentality. Next practice should be in Guyer Gym without basketballs. They don't deserve to practice in the brand new facility for a few days. Let JC have them and see what happens - win or lose that was a BS effort today.

No, they definitely need to practice with balls. This O and D need all the reps they can get.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but when you give up 102 points to a team projected to finish third in a weak sec the main problem is not the offense.

Defense was putrid, but the pace of our offense -- and the quality of the shots we took -- didn't really help us mask our weakness on the boards. If you take quick 3s and you can't rebound, you're going to give up a LOT of transition points the other way.

It's just like the football team. You have no defense, and your offense, which is at best half-competent, wants to play fast. The result is more stress placed on your god-awful defense. That's how Memphis hangs 70 in football or Arkansas hangs 102 today.

We need patient sets and high quality two point looks. We may never shoot a great percentage this year, but at least playing offense with greater patience will help out the defense.

Reaction Score
It may be injury, and I wasn't aware that shoulder is still causing him problems, however I didn't say what I said off of just today. I've watched him very closely in isolation, both on and off the ball this year and his effort is lack luster on the defensive end other than a handful of possessions against lesser competition. He is rarely in a low stance, rarely moving his feet and as I call it with my team "defensive jabbing stepping" the ball handler, he is not frenetic enough, he is passive on the ball not in attack mode, rarely deflecting the ball and worse some of his closeouts (in this game and others) usually off a scramble rotational defense have been atrocious (Like I give up, atrocious). Sure there have been a few occasions where he has pressed up and attempted to play solid on ball defense but as a whole his defensive effort is not acceptable. Which I believe is why he sat to start the second half for sure. Whether its injury, or because he is down on himself for his slow shooting starts or whatever, something needs to change. He and KO know full well he has the ability to be a scrappy quick twitched gnat on the defensive end who at the very least is making it extremely difficult for the opposing team to get into their offense. But I digress. Just something I've been sitting on after watching closely. Corrections need to be made. The tape don't lie. Its up to Ollie to view right, be a leader and hold him accountable, among others, and motivate him properly. I say with extremely timid optimism, We will see......

I watch him too and he's mostly cutting off the PG and making him work, not always but he's very good I'd compare him to the young Boatright who only got better. He really is twice as good as Jalen who provides little effort unless he really needs to. He hovers he doesn't guard and he didn't converge on long rebounds or free balls today he was dreadful down there. Larrier too, he didn't step out for the shooter once today, played ole defense 2-3 times I saw and had TWO rebounds. 18 and 2 - not good. All good agree to disagree no matter, they all need to have a lot more skin in the game on that end and KO needs to make them own that.

Reaction Score
Took some ownership for the loss and discusses what needs to be done going forward. Two losses in a row but both against good teams. Michigan State won the whole thing in Arkansas looks scary good. I still believe they get this right.

WholeHogSports - Videos

Reaction Score
Weak post game interview. Kevin Ollie inspires absolutely zero confidence that us diehard fans are going to see anything differently. Heard the same BS last three years and I’m about ready to check out as too hard to invest emotionally when the coach seems to have checked out. I can’t imagine what his players must feel.

Reaction Score
The defense is horrible. This is why Moore was pushing for zone last year. Damn, Cuse plays better D than us. We just gave up over 100 points in a college game. I don't KO has what it takes to coach and recruit at this level. Time to make a change. Can the Blaze team take over for the rest of the year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom