Possible Kentan Facey Eligibility Issues | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Possible Kentan Facey Eligibility Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think that Facey's impact will be down the road and so if his start here is delayed, it will not make a huge difference this year. If it turns out that he plays and makes a big difference, I will be pleasantly or ecstatically surprised. We just need some solid, adequate interior play this year to be very good. We have Shabazz and they don't.

Reaction Score
we don't make it to the F4 without Facey. it's simple as that

We don't even know if he's going to be ahead of Nolan in the rotation yet. I assume he'll be ahead of Brimah, but even that isn't certain. I would have bet the farm CV would have been ahead of Boone in 2003-04 based on hype and rankings. Ended up the other way around, mostly based on fit/need (although both had key roles).

We can't hinge all of our hopes on a raw, unproven freshman barely in the top 100. Really, we need someone from the Nolan-Facey-Brimah trio to be a reliable back-up 5 to give us 10-15 mpg, but it doesn't matter which one. I'd like to have them all here so we have more options/insurance for injury, and to give them all a chance to maybe become a much bigger factor than 10-15 mpg. There's always the chance Facey or Brimah is the best fit as a starter (or as one of the five who finishes games). I'm not going to pretend this news doesn't matter at all - any time you may lose a piece to your puzzle, it's obviously a negative. It gives you less weapons, and it puts more pressure on the other guys to step up or improve.

And, hey, in the worst case scenario where none of those three guys turn out to be of much help (or eligible), we'll have to work with what we have. We can try to be great at small ball, and maybe catch a break and avoid dominant frontlines in the tourney. I'm not going to give up on F4 hopes when we have our top six guys back from a 20-win team. We'll be vulnerable, but the Dream Season team was tiny, and the 2006 team had one player who could dribble, and both were one shot from the Final Four. Villanova put four guards 6-3 and under around Dante Cunningham and made it (or the Nelson-West St. Joe's team came close). Not the ideal formula - but you can't give up on the season when you have a talented roster with some shortcomings.

Reaction Score
All I have to say is the NCAA better hurry up and make a decision on his eligibility before the damn season starts. Same goes for Samuel. There should be some kind of check on power where they have to decide on eligibility issues before the damn season. Sick of kid's getting screwed over only to find out that their reasoning for the NCAA's hold on eligibility was essentially pointless like in the case of Boatright.

Reaction Score
And can we please stop talking about Wolf?! This thread is about Facey's eligibility. Of course having Wolf would have helped especially now with this scenario but let's stop crying over spilled milk. It's pointless. Now, I do realize it is the offseason and many bored members are looking for things to talk about so referencing Wolf makes sense in that regard. But seriously let's move on.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
IDK, I just can't help but to think of Majok. Took the NCAA a year or more to clear him

Reaction Score
And can we please stop talking about Wolf?! This thread is about Facey's eligibility. Of course having Wolf would have helped especially now with this scenario but let's stop crying over spilled milk. It's pointless. Now, I do realize it is the offseason and many bored members are looking for things to talk about so referencing Wolf makes sense in that regard. But seriously let's move on.

Why no one has ever talked about hypotheticals??? What is recruiting???

Sorry but it is fairly obvious from a depth standpoint if Facey can't play it would have been nice to have Wolf. We can't say that? That's called Husky basketball talk.......no one said anyone screwed up or we're going to suck without him it was simply stated it now certainly could become a factor..........geez relax

Reaction Score
Reality is we couldn't count on Kentan as a freshman for anything more than minutes. We have no idea how much of an impact he can have (and hopefully will still have) because of size, strength and inexperience. I do believe his skills were good enough to get minutes in foul trouble situations and to give the first 6-7 guys some rest. At 6'7 he's not a lot bigger than Kromah and certainly not stronger so maybe this is the guy who gets solid minutes and plays a huge role. I realize we can't ask Kromah to guard centers but then again could we really ask Kentan? Brimah will need to step in and take some minutes when Nolan and TO are in trouble or need a breather and that's fine........Tolksdorf has some good size and can also become an important figure down there..........

Hopefully the NCAA figures this out soon and he gets to live his dream but if not the Huskies will be okay this year. My hope is he gets some time this year so he can play a major role as people leave next year so the team can keep the momentum!!!

Reactions: caw

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Kentan won't be an impact player at first, but we desperately need him for frontcourt depth. Simple as that.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't see Facey as necessarily better than Nolan, Olander, or Brimah -- he's more advanced offensively than Nolan or Brimah, but the team won't look for offense from his spot so that doesn't matter -- but still there's value in just having bodies to throw out there, probably all of our big men will be foul prone. Daniels could end up playing almost 40 minutes at the 4, it will take 3 guys to hold down the center spot. Giffey and Tolksdorf back up Daniels and could see time at the 5. Tough luck Tyler, there will be no time at the 4 for you.

The loss of Wolf does loom large. In addition to the extra body, Wolf provides a different look at the center spot and in some matchups that would prove crucial. Even without Facey, I would like this team as an Elite Eight/Final Four candidate if Wolf were still here.

Reaction Score
pj is correct although while offense isn't the requirement at the middle, numbers of people is a concern. With Kentan they have the ability to play small yet big enough against certain teams/lineups!!!

Without they not only lose a body in case of foul trouble (something that Phil and Tyler are both prone) but some athleticism. Brimah is huge if the NCAA screws us on this one!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't see Facey as necessarily better than Nolan, Olander, or Brimah -- he's more advanced offensively than Nolan or Brimah, but the team won't look for offense from his spot so that doesn't matter -- but still there's value in just having bodies to throw out there, probably all of our big men will be foul prone. Daniels could end up playing almost 40 minutes at the 4, it will take 3 guys to hold down the center spot. Giffey and Tolksdorf back up Daniels and could see time at the 5. Tough luck Tyler, there will be no time at the 4 for you.

The loss of Wolf does loom large. In addition to the extra body, Wolf provides a different look at the center spot and in some matchups that would prove crucial. Even without Facey, I would like this team as an Elite Eight/Final Four candidate if Wolf were still here.
This it the situation in a nutshell. There is no guarantee that having a team with Wolf and Facey on it would perform better than one without those players. But with the absence of those players there is an increased risk that foul trouble or injuries will result in the remainder of the team having to make up the difference. Last season a good part of Shabazz's health issues were the result of his having to make up for the front court deficiencies. It wasn't just the minutes but the need to rebound. And his injuries became cumulative.

A front court of just Nolan, Olander and Brimah would be almost identical with that composed of Nolan, Olander and Wolf. At the very least Facey gives the team five fouls. And if Wolf were available as well that's ten fouls and a senior. The team was running out of gas by the end of the season. If Facey and Samuel are not on the team it becomes very difficult to play teams like Ville and MS which throw players on the court with the sole purpose of tiring teams.

Reaction Score
A front court rotation of DD,Nolan,olander,and brimah could be fine. It does completely hinge on brimahs ability to be productive in 10-15 minutes. Then at the 3 we have Giffey/kromah/Calhoun. But wow we really do need Samuel or some other guard in there for beverely-like minutes.

Reaction Score
A front court rotation of DD,Nolan,olander,and brimah could be fine. It does completely hinge on brimahs ability to be productive in 10-15 minutes. Then at the 3 we have Giffey/kromah/Calhoun. But wow we really do need Samuel or some other guard in there for beverely-like minutes.
Omar's pops said that the biggest area where he suffered because of his hip injuries was ball handling, as he was unable to get low to really protect the ball. Who knows, maybe he shows enough improvement with his ball handling and creating so that he can play with one guard more and that will loosen up more minutes at the 3 for Giffey and Kromah. I didn't see Samuel playing more than 5 mpg but not having him would really make everyone staying healthy extremely important.

Reaction Score
This it the situation in a nutshell. There is no guarantee that having a team with Wolf and Facey on it would perform better than one without those players. But with the absence of those players there is an increased risk that foul trouble or injuries will result in the remainder of the team having to make up the difference. Last season a good part of Shabazz's health issues were the result of his having to make up for the front court deficiencies. It wasn't just the minutes but the need to rebound. And his injuries became cumulative.

A front court of just Nolan, Olander and Brimah would be almost identical with that composed of Nolan, Olander and Wolf. At the very least Facey gives the team five fouls. And if Wolf were available as well that's ten fouls and a senior. The team was running out of gas by the end of the season. If Facey and Samuel are not on the team it becomes very difficult to play teams like Ville and MS which throw players on the court with the sole purpose of tiring teams.

Without Facey, it'll mean we have to go smaller more often. Which means those three guys will split the 40 minutes at center and rarely, if ever, play alongside each other. Giffey then gives us spot minutes at the 4 to back up Daniels (who will play 33-35 mpg - Giffey will also give us minutes at the three), and Kromah (who averaged 5 rpg two years ago as a 6-5 guard) has to get his nose dirty and rebound for us, especially when Giffey is at the four. Perhaps that means we give Boat and Bazz a brief rest (not at the same time obviously) when we're small up front, to get more size on the wing with Omar-Kromah, although certainly we could struggle offensively with that line-up with two of our three best scorers on the bench.

This is not ideal by any means, but if that's the hand we're dealt, we have to punch the ol' timeclock every day and get it done. If Giffey at the four for a few minutes a night makes you cringe - Villanova made it to the F4 with a point guard playing the four defensively for long stretches (Foye). Or a freshman Scott Burrell was our four in 1990 against guys like Alonzo Mourning, Derrick Coleman and Elden Campbell. The best big out there in college right now is probably McGary (or one of the freshmen). It's not as daunting in this day and age to go small.

That said, if Facey makes it, we are more flexible and can put a true 4 and 5 out there on those bad days when we're on our way to getting outrebounded by 30 and need to adjust. No question he'd help (even if it was just as an occasional Marcus White type spark off the bench), and that we're better off if he's on board. I guess my main point is that we can't pin our entire season's hopes on someone who is likely our eighth best player. If he's not here, our expectations shouldn't change.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Louisville is still in the league and is stll loaded, and while I like our team better than Memphis, they might be the most talented in the league, this season isn't exactly playing in the Sun Belt.

We still should win this league. Not saying their aren't any good teams, even though I kinda did.

Reaction Score
I'm excited as ever to see a more explosive omar. at 6'5 that would make him one hell of a prospect with his iq/shooting ability. I think Samuel would be important so we could have a back court without the two stars, for a short spurts or foul trouble. But Samuel is a huge question mark, we don't even know if he can shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
The workhorse known as Niels is waiting for his turn, Im pretty sure he can guard 3-4 positions at the college level. reminds of ,dare i say, Shane battier.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We still should win this league. Not saying their aren't any good teams, even though I kinda did.

I wouldn't say we "should" win this league...Louisville is ranked top 3 in pretty much all the preseason polls.

If we don't finish top 3, however, I would be pretty disappointed.

Reaction Score
I'm excited as ever to see a more explosive omar. at 6'5 that would make him one hell of a prospect with his iq/shooting ability. I think Samuel would be important so we could have a back court without the two stars, for a short spurts or foul trouble. But Samuel is a huge question mark, we don't even know if he can shoot the ball.

If Samuel doesn't make it, we have to live with Omar-Kromah at the 2 and 3 for stretches and hope one of them can be adequate as a ballhandler and secondary creator (who could also play alongside Giffey at the 3). Not familiar enough with Kromah's game or sure about how much Omar's surgery will help to know if this is a recipe for disaster or not. If so, Bazz/Boat have no choice but to both be 38 mpg guys, and we hold our breath when either of them sit. We had that problem with Taliek/Ben and stealing minutes with Rashad or Denham at the 2, albeit with a team that was much deeper/better up front. That team (or the 2006 team, which lacked backcourt depth) could afford to have bad possessions and play volleyball on the offensive glass.

The worst case scenario for us is that Samuel/Facey both don't make it and Kromah/Omar are both inadequate at the two. Then we're dealing with backcourt depth problems and weak post play, and we're really down to no margin for error. But, hey, we'd essentially be five deep at the three (Daniels, Giffey, Omar, Kromah, Tolksdorf), so we'd be in good shape to make a trade.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Without Facey, it'll mean we have to go smaller more often. Which means those three guys will split the 40 minutes at center and rarely, if ever, play alongside each other. Giffey then gives us spot minutes at the 4 to back up Daniels (who will play 33-35 mpg - Giffey will also give us minutes at the three), and Kromah (who averaged 5 rpg two years ago as a 6-5 guard) has to get his nose dirty and rebound for us, especially when Giffey is at the four. Perhaps that means we give Boat and Bazz a brief rest (not at the same time obviously) when we're small up front, to get more size on the wing with Omar-Kromah, although certainly we could struggle offensively with that line-up with two of our three best scorers on the bench.

This is not ideal by any means, but if that's the hand we're dealt, we have to punch the ol' timeclock every day and get it done. If Giffey at the four for a few minutes a night makes you cringe - Villanova made it to the F4 with a point guard playing the four defensively for long stretches (Foye). Or a freshman Scott Burrell was our four in 1990 against guys like Alonzo Mourning, Derrick Coleman and Elden Campbell. The best big out there in college right now is probably McGary (or one of the freshmen). It's not as daunting in this day and age to go small.

That said, if Facey makes it, we are more flexible and can put a true 4 and 5 out there on those bad days when we're on our way to getting outrebounded by 30 and need to adjust. No question he'd help (even if it was just as an occasional Marcus White type spark off the bench), and that we're better off if he's on board. I guess my main point is that we can't pin our entire season's hopes on someone who is likely our eighth best player. If he's not here, our expectations shouldn't change.
Not arguing the season is over without Facey. Nor do I believe his absence prevents a deep run in the NCAA's. It just makes it much harder imo because of the flexibility problems. Still love your analysis. It is insightful.

All anyone has to do is look at two seasons in UConn's recent history to realize that we, as fans, should realize that our expectations have a whole lot of uncertainty. Those two seasons being 2006 and 2011.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UL is probably the favorite. Memphis and UConn are probably close seconds.

I wouldn't say we "should" win this league...Louisville is ranked top 3 in pretty much all the preseason polls.
If we don't finish top 3, however, I would be pretty disappointed.

Listen to you all....acting like it's over.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

What the happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer -

We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. We're just the guys to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom