Possible Kentan Facey Eligibility Issues | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Possible Kentan Facey Eligibility Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
well this recruiting class is looking like a disaster

Reaction Score
Hopefully they both get their situations squared away, but if not, we'll be OK - a little thinner, but will just have to depend on some vets to step up. Boat will need to be a quality PG when Napier sits, Kromah and Calhoun will have to be able to play together with one of them being able to create off the bounce (regardless of who you call the 2 and the 3), Olander can't have another season in la-la land, while Nolan will need to provide more consistent minutes (don't want to put pressure on Brimah yet, but if he's ready to contribute as a defensive presence, all the better). If most of those things happen, we'll be fine - and perhaps some of our top recruiting prospects this year (Abu, Perkins) will feel the door is even more wide open to play right away.

I'd rather have Samuel and Facey here, of course. When you have a chance for a great season, you want as many options as possible. Ideally, you'd also like the staff to focus on recruits without issues - but last year was a unique year with the sudden turnover and Ollie's interim status. If they knew Facey could have some issues and took a chance anyway, it was probably worth the risk.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hopefully they both get their situations squared away, but if not, we'll be OK - a little thinner, but will just have to depend on some vets to step up. Boat will need to be a quality PG when Napier sits, Kromah and Calhoun will have to be able to play together with one of them being able to create off the bounce (regardless of who you call the 2 and the 3), Olander can't have another season in la-la land, while Nolan will need to provide more consistent minutes (don't want to put pressure on Brimah yet, but if he's ready to contribute as a defensive presence, all the better). If most of those things happen, we'll be fine - and perhaps some of our top recruiting prospects this year (Abu, Perkins) will feel the door is even more wide open to play right away.

I'd rather have Samuel and Facey here, of course. When you have a chance for a great season, you want as many options as possible. Ideally, you'd also like the staff to focus on recruits without issues - but last year was a unique year with the sudden turnover and Ollie's interim status. If they knew Facey could have some issues and took a chance anyway, it was probably worth the risk.
If Facey is ineligible for the entire season then we are doomed.

Reaction Score
Me thinks a lot of people who were happy with Wolfie not coming back would take him in a second if Facey isn't playing this year.............

Also very happy Kromah is with us..........for sure now

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Me thinks a lot of people who were happy with Wolfie not coming back would take him in a second if Facey isn't playing this year.............

Also very happy Kromah is with us..........for sure now
I was thinking the same thing, but anyone who supports Wolfie seems to get attitude :(

Reaction Score
Nah, you only get attitude because of the legend building

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure last I heard James Young and the Harrison twins weren't eligible at this moment either and had work to do over the summer. Of course I fully expect them to be suiting up from day 1, but we're not the only one going thru this summer. Hopefully this stuff gets squared away, I think that Facey's issue not having to do with academics would probably be better but who knows.

Reaction Score
I saw that the Harrison twins and Youngs problems were that their senior years ended to late so the NCAA or someone could process them soon enough so they could attend summer classes at UK. Not sure if where I saw that was credible but I really don't care.

Reaction Score
If Facey is ineligible for the entire season then we are doomed.

A little bit overdramatic. If our season hinges on an unproven, undersized freshman forward, we're probably doomed to begin with. You can't tell everything from informal settings, but he wasn't that far ahead of Brimah in the Hartford pro-am games.

And then look at our history:
1998-99 - Deng never gets eligible.
2003-04 - MW ineligible after first semester
2005-06 - Bynum goes pro, never shows.
2008-09 - Nate Miles
2010-11 - Wolf has to join mid-year

OK - that last one is a reach. But the point is that when we've had quality teams, we've been able to overcome an incoming role player falling by the wayside.

Reaction Score
Because there is no work tomorrow and it's just Boneyarders and that bottle, staring at each other. Hope this is just some ridiculous paperwork snafu that isn't made into an international incident involving Emmert.

JUCOs?

I'm staring at a bottle of Evans....

D

Deleted member 3149

Would be really upset if Kentan wasn't able to travel to Cowboy Stadium next April.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A little bit overdramatic. If our season hinges on an unproven, undersized freshman forward, we're probably doomed to begin with. You can't tell everything from informal settings, but he wasn't that far ahead of Brimah in the Hartford pro-am games.

2008-09 - Nate Miles

OK - that last one is a reach. But the point is that when we've had quality teams, we've been able to overcome an incoming role player falling by the wayside.

reach or no, how did more people not like this?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score

2008-09 - Nate Miles

1999 we had two really good/great players in Voskuhl and Freeman amongst others.
2003 we had Emeka, BG, and a stellar recruiting class filled with great players
2005 Bynum never played. Villanueva and Boone w/ Armstrong was a great front line
2008 Miles never played. Final Four w/ a great front court.
2010 Wolf was a non-factor. Had a decent frontcourt and Kemba.

What I'm trying to say is that if Facey is ineligible we will be in serious trouble. That leaves us with Nolan/Olander (depending on who starts) and Brimah coming off the bench for the frontcourt. Brimah has never played a college game and Olander/Nolan are both still raw and unpolished. How do you not see the problem?

I hope he gets this cleared, but I'm not feeling too good about this one.

Reaction Score
1999 we had two really good/great players in Voskuhl and Freeman amongst others.
2003 we had Emeka, BG, and a stellar recruiting class filled with great players
2005 Bynum never played. Villanueva and Boone w/ Armstrong was a great front line
2008 Miles never played. Final Four w/ a great front court.
2010 Wolf was a non-factor. Had a decent frontcourt and Kemba.

What I'm trying to say is that if Facey is ineligible we will be in serious trouble. That leaves us with Nolan/Olander (depending on who starts) and Brimah coming off the bench for the frontcourt. Brimah has never played a college game and Olander/Nolan are both still raw and unpolished. How do you not see the problem?

I hope he gets this cleared, but I'm not feeling too good about this one.

The fact that Bynum, Miles and Deng never played is actually the point I'm making. If Facey (less heralded than any of those three) never plays, we shouldn't be dead in the water. We start the year without him and move forward. I fully agree that losing him would make it a little harder, so obviously I would prefer to have him on board (from day one, so he doesn't fall behind). But I would have preferred any of those other guys too all things being equal.

Those teams that succeeded obviously had talent to overcome a missing piece, but this year, we have all five starters back, plus our sixth man in Giffey, and we add a post-graduate in Kromah as a seventh man. The question mark is up front, so losing Facey would hit a weak spot (Nolan or Brimah would have no choice but to be a rotation guy), but the weakness in 2004 was backcourt depth, and MW flunking off could have killed us. We survived with Taliek-Ben playing close to 40 a night and Rashad playing a little 2 even though he couldn't dribble. If it happens, a slight downgrade in the talent level of our eighth man from Facey to Nolan/Brimah isn't a problem I'll lose sleep over. Possible Nolan will turn out to be ahead of him in the rotation anyway. We'll have someone unproven as our first big off the bench regardless.

If only somehow Tyler Olander could turn into 80 percent of Matt Howard, I'd be ready to call us preseason top five.

Reaction Score
Well from a purely scoring vantage point/stat in relation to Matt Howard... TO would have to average 13.12 ppg in the 13-14 season to equal the 80% of Matt Howard's senior season scoring average. So we can immediately rule out any preseason top 5 analysis based on your hypothetical.

As you mentioned earlier UConn will be "OK" (which is all relative) but without Wolf & Facey our lack of front court depth could put us in #8-#10 seed territory in the NCAA Tournament as opposed to #2-#4 seed territory. With both of these guys a Final4 would not be out of the question.

Anything can happen though and Bazz could be the type of magician that has all his tricks working to pull off another big run in March.

We need Facey...IMO

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
we don't make it to the F4 without Facey. it's simple as that

Reaction Score
Well from a purely scoring vantage point/stat in relation to Matt Howard... TO would have to average 13.12 ppg in the 13-14 season to equal the 80% of Matt Howard's senior season scoring average. So we can immediately rule out any preseason top 5 analysis based on your hypothetical.

As you mentioned earlier UConn will be "OK" (which is all relative) but without Wolf & Facey our lack of front court depth could put us in #8-#10 seed territory in the NCAA Tournament as opposed to #2-#4 seed territory. With both of these guys a Final4 would not be out of the question.

Anything can happen though and Bazz could be the type of magician that has all his tricks working to pull off another big run in March.

We need Facey...IMO

I guess I meant 80 percent as a random hypothetical skill level and not as a statistical measure. And actually when I wrote that, I was thinking of the team that lost to Duke with Howard as the lone big with four perimeter guys around him with Hayward at the 4 (a Daniels type - see, not all my comparisons are white guy/white guy) with three guards (Nored-Mack-Veasley). Which would mean 80 percent would be closer to 9 ppg (which is probably still out of reach for TO, frankly). The team that lost to us had a 6-11 center (Andrew Smith, I think) and Howard at the 4, and wasn't as good as the Hayward team.

I just can't see Facey making a huge difference in our seeding. If he comes, I'm realistically hoping for a 4 ppg, 5 rpg guy off the bench who provides the occasional spark, but wouldn't be surprised if he's only 2+2 as a freshman in limited duty. Adrien was much more polished and rated higher coming in, and averaged 6+5 in 17 mpg (with a crowded frontcourt) - not sure Facey will get more minutes than that, and I doubt he'll be as productive.

Of course, if he gets squared away and becomes our best frontcourt guy, who takes a big chunk of TO's minutes and averages 25-30 mpg and 7+7 or so, then I'm wrong in my way of thinking and maybe he's closer to a freshman year Josh Boone "final piece to the puzzle" guy (who averaged 6+6). I guess there's no way to know, except down the road in hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom