Possible bigs for 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Possible bigs for 2019

Reaction Score
Give me this kid every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Tough as nails. He’d fit Hurley’s culture so well.

Matt Cross is not at the caliber level we need to be bringing in....we need blue blood D1 level talent (4 star guys with a couple 5 stars sprinkled in). I’d rather see us leave a scholly Open than bring in another 2 or 3 star guy.

Reaction Score
Matt Cross is not at the caliber level we need to be bringing in....we need blue blood D1 level talent (4 star guys with a couple 5 stars sprinkled in). I’d rather see us leave a scholly Open than bring in another 2 or 3 star guy.
I mean, you don't want him to be the jewel of the class but he's definitely worth taking up a scholarship for 4 years.

Reaction Score
I mean, you don't want him to be the jewel of the class but he's definitely worth taking up a scholarship for 4 years.

I personally think we have enough 2-3 star guys on our bench to last us the next couple of years. KO made sure that cupboard was stocked. How’s that working out for us right now? Josh Carlton, Isaiah Whaley, Tyler Polley, Eric Cobb and Christian Vital are all 3 star recruits. Only CV has really worked out well. Polley has a chance to be a solid backup. Half our roster is made up of these types of recruits. We need to do better in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nicolas Carvacho should be the grad transfer priority at C. Having a really solid year for CO State.

We should be on the phone with him yesterday. An actual grown man who can score and board.

Reaction Score
I personally think we have enough 2-3 star guys on our bench to last us the next couple of years. KO made sure that cupboard was stocked. How’s that working out for us right now?
The only consensus 3-star players (meaning the only recruits ranked 3* on all three major recruiting services, not 247's consensus rankings) that are slated to be on this team next year that were leftover from the previous regime will be Christian Vital and Isaiah Whaley.

If one of Dan Hurley's strengths is player development do not be surprised if there are some 3* players mixed into these future classes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only consensus 3-star players (meaning the only recruits ranked 3* on all three major recruiting services, not 247's consensus rankings) that are slated to be on this team next year that were leftover from the previous regime will be Christian Vital and Isaiah Whaley.

If one of Dan Hurley's strengths is player development do not be surprised if there are some 3* players mixed into these future classes.

Plenty of 3* recruits pan out and make a strong and immediate impact in college basketball. I recall a 3* Gavin Edwards stealing minutes from a 5* Curtis Kelly.

Reaction Score

If you’re trying to make the case that Carlton and Polley are fringe 4 star guys I’m not going to disagree with you there. I think that further validated my point. I’m fine with taking a shot on an underrated recruit now and then, but right now this constitutes over 50% of our roster and most have shown they are not capable of contributing so far at this level.

We have 2 scholarships available right now and we desperately need a center. We don’t need a 3 star 6’ 8” guy who isn’t even physical enough to play the 4, we have those guys on our roster already (Polley, Whaley)

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Like Adams...

Reaction Score

Carlton and Polley are obviously 3* players.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you’re trying to make the case that Carlton and Polley are fringe 4 star guys I’m not going to disagree with you there. I think that further validated my point. I’m fine with taking a shot on an underrated recruit now and then, but right now this constitutes over 50% of our roster and most have shown they are not capable of contributing so far at this level.

We have 2 scholarships available right now and we desperately need a center. We don’t need a 3 star 6’ 8” guy who isn’t even physical enough to play the 4, we have those guys on our roster already (Polley, Whaley)

It's not going to be 0% of our roster anytime soon either.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nor should it be. Duke and Kansas have both signed multiple 3* players pretty recently from what I remember.

As long as they aren’t being relied on to play starter’s minutes or be a game changer, there absolutely is room for players like that on our roster, no matter where the program is. The peak JC years everyone’s yearning for featured their fair share of role players who had similar recruiting profiles. We didn’t build teams around them, but they existed and did the program a service.

Reaction Score
As long as they aren’t being relied on to play starter’s minutes or be a game changer, there absolutely is room for players like that on our roster, no matter where the program is. The peak JC years everyone’s yearning for featured their fair share of role players who had similar recruiting profiles. We didn’t build teams around them, but they existed and did the program a service.
A perfect example of this is B. Adams. He is a 3 star recruit who won't play much this year. You hope he continues to develop over the next year and half, and can be a serious contributor his junior/senior year.
This would be ideal with guys like Carlton and Polley, but like others have said, they are being asked to play starter minutes right now when clearly they aren't ready for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN and Rivals.

stunned. don't know if that makes me feel more or less optimistic about him going forwards... but now i'm fully on board the grad transfer train for a center next year (unless we get wahab/mitchell and precious of course)

if a 6th scholarship becomes available i'm open to anything (e.g. Matt Cross) but imho the 2 schollys currently remaining need to address the center problem (precious being the exception)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He is absolutely worth a scholarship. I’m not saying he should headline the class. But with some good coaching, he can become a great college player. Exactly the scrappy, fiery player Hurley likes.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen him play, but what's wrong with a 6'7 shooter who is a local kid, tough, has a big motor and good IQ? Sounds like a guy who fits very nicely.
I liked him a slot. Can play both forward spots, is really tough, has a solid jumper, and passes well for his size. Should be one of BABC’s leading scorers this spring which will probably boost his stock.

Reaction Score
Really haven't done much research on Chol Marial, how serious are his injuries? He looks really solid on what I've seen, is he someone they're considering at all? 7'2 225 and runs the floor/blocks is something that would certainly help. I saw he was one of the top recruits in the country early on

Reaction Score
Nor should it be. Duke and Kansas have both signed multiple 3* players pretty recently from what I remember.

Correct. If you are confident in your player development capabilities and have had success with your system nothing wrong with a couple of 3* guys. The roster shouldn't be filled with them, but a couple on the roster is perfectly acceptable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom