• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seton Hall, Providence have fared better wince leaving Big East. Villanova won tie national championships .
I don't know about that. Seton Hall was pretty good under Carlesimo. As for Providence, they were nationally irrelevant in the Big East and they are still nationally irrelevant in the new biggest. Agree regarding Nova though.

Reaction Score
All this overt signaling makes me think we are being strung along to entice other schools to make a decision.

If it were a done deal for us I think it would be held much closer to the vest.
that's what I think as well and businesslawyer said that as well. It's why I am typing a message like a broken record in my posts that say "the B12 extending an invite is no guarantee".

Reaction Score
Just imagine how often we’ll see @kobe and how infrequently we’ll see @FriarJ.

And not a moment too soon given kobe was running out of digs towards us. He finally got one clever one across. I was betting against him being able to repeat. Guess I there’s a correlation between supporting a pathetic team and cleverness.
If Kobe cannot make the same trollish comment about UConn being in a mid-major conference for the 100th time, what does he have left to talk about?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Its not a lateral move at worst for Basketball. LOL it is so much not a lateral move. You're a smart guy why can't you see that? There is so much more at play here because of who we are, who CT is as a state, who and what our University is. What makes our hoops program successful and what doesnt. Who our fans are. What they support and what they don't. There is so much more than KenPom conference ranking that goes into this, and what helps us as a program.

Like I said, everyone has to stop pretending this has anything to do with anything BUT Football, and if you don't like that comment take it up with Mr. Fanta.
This is about survival of the entire athletic department. I realize that within the preconceived notion that you are allowing to cloud your thought process the joy thing you see is "Playing in Big East good. Playing in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas bad" but the reality is there are considerably better names, vastly superior brands and significantly more financial benefits to the B-12 than there was in the AAC. Comparing the AAC to the B-12 is similar to comparing the MAAC to the Big East.

If the coaching holds up its end of the bargain our men's basketball program will be able to succeed in the B-12 every bit as well as we would in the BE. The added exposure and resources will actually help in ways BE membership never could.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Well, you said all leagues do it that way when the ACC does not.

If UConn joins the Big 12 there will be a minimum of 14 teams, which means there won't be a round robin. It'll be a dice roll as to whether or not they play Kansas more than once, and they have no history was Kansas and no regional connection. Maybe the Big 12 will force it in every year but there are plenty of other schools that would also want the home and home.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All this overt signaling makes me think we are being strung along to entice other schools to make a decision.

I wonder about that, but it may be that things are proceeding out of sight. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. Seton Hall was pretty good under Carlesimo. As for Providence, they were nationally irrelevant in the Big East and they are still nationally irrelevant in the new biggest. Agree regarding Nova though.
You weren't following Big East basketball if you don't realize Seton Hall and Providence got better when the conference broke apart.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that's the case, obviously a lot depends on who gets added but with the current 14 team rumors I'd think that would be 2 7 team pods.

The first 4 are obvious, but I'd think Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State are the logical 3 others to add while maintaining most of the current rivalries

View attachment 88664

I would guess Houston would be in our pod if they go that direction but otherwise yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they went that way. Still a roll of the dice though.

Reaction Score
If UConn joins the Big 12 there will be a minimum of 14 teams, which means there won't be a round robin. It'll be a dice roll as to whether or not they play Kansas more than once, and they have no history was Kansas and no regional connection. Maybe the Big 12 will force it in every year but there are plenty of other schools that would also want the home and home.

The end game has to be 16 teams. They add us to the Eastern section of the conference and they are done. They add Colorado, plus 2 more and they are coast to coast, with room to grow.

Reaction Score
You would want to play KU. Saw them in 96 in Denver sweet 16. Their fan base with their traditions left a lasting impression on me. Unfortunately saw on visiting scoreboard something like Mstate 55 UConn 50 F. I was heartbroken.

Reaction Score
The end game has to be 16 teams. They add us to the Eastern section of the conference and they are done. They add Colorado, plus 2 more and they are coast to coast, with room to grow.
If we go, I wouldn't mind seeing a 16 team football conference with a 20 team basketball conference. Take Gonzaga, which is clearly in conversations, and then add Georgetown, 'Nova and St. Johns.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If UConn and Kansas are in the same conference they're going to play each other in conference twice a year.

I certainly hope so, because that's one of the few things I'm looking forward to if this happens.

Reaction Score
Yes. Big12 makes no sense . None. We will not chase mediocrity in Football to sacrifice the Best Basketball program in the country. If the Big12 is so great why did Texas and Oklahoma run?
BE$ > BIG12$$$$$$ > SEC$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reaction Score
The real question is...who does the Big East target to backfill UConn if we left?

Dayton? Do they really want another Ohio school?

St Louis? Barf

UMass? Could be interesting...

Temple? Would Nova allow that?

Memphis?

FAU?
They don't need to target anyone. After all, they "threw us a lifeline" which means they did not really need us.

Reaction Score
View attachment 88633 This might end up being a great move, but looking at this map it’s not a slam dunk that this move will be good for our athletics other than the money.
Why do you say that? We can revive the CivilConFLiCT with UCF!! :)

I want to see how we can do in a real power conference.

Reaction Score
I would guess Houston would be in our pod if they go that direction but otherwise yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they went that way. Still a roll of the dice though.
if you put houston in the eastern division you'd have to put either kansas or k st in the western division and separating them makes even less sense than not grouping the 4 texas schools in the same division

Reaction Score

True, twitter specualtion by writers is one thing, but Yormark comments now seems like he's throwing it out to still fish/ turning up the noise for some jumpy PACs. See Uconn back to the new BE and how there was nothin' out there about it.

Reaction Score
Then you put the soccer team in the America East (with two other top 25 teams) and see what happens. But it’ll obviously have no part in any actual realignment discussions.
Atlantic 10 has affiliate field hockey schools too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight - in your view Dave Benedict would be stupid to:
a) join a P5 designated league in all sports solidly top 3 in both football and basketball,
b) has an already agreed upon tv deal that has the games on linear ESPN/Fox,
c) with total league distribution at an estimated $50M annually

In order to
a) stay in a non P5 basketball only league with smaller Catholic private schools,
b) let football die on the vine as an independent with an expiring CBS Sports Network deal,
c) stay in a basketball league with no future tv deal in a landscape where money and time slots are drying up?

To quote Jim Calhoun you're not really that stupid, are you?

Let me get this straight, in your view Dave Benedict would be smart to:

a) join a P5 designated league that is a phone call by Apple to the Pac 12 from everyone climbing over each other to head West,
b) has a short term TV deal on freaking cable (why not just put it on UHF?) that seems ridiculously overpriced and will expire before UConn would even be fully vested,
c) just lost its two marquee programs,

In order to:
a) bail on a stable, strong basketball league that is in almost every major metro area in the northeast and Midwest,
b) ignore what happened last time UConn joined a far flung league where we didn't fit in,
c) give up the option of finding a home in the future when the ACC either splits or football splits off from basketball and negotiates its own TV and conference alignments.

To quote Jim Calhoun, "$*&% YOU!!!!!"

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Providence improved because the league got weaker. They never did anything in the NCAA tournament.
Agree. Before the breakup they never sniffed the top 5 or a BE tourney championship. They only moved up when the league got weaker. Eventually the entire league got stronger.
Yes.
;) :)

Reaction Score
If we go, I wouldn't mind seeing a 16 team football conference with a 20 team basketball conference. Take Gonzaga, which is clearly in conversations, and then add Georgetown, 'Nova and St. Johns.
Said this yesterday. CU, ASU, UofA, and us for all sports then the basketball schools. Would even be okay with PC instead of Zaga.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom