Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Explain that to me please
Instead of needing millions of dollars from big donors to fund facilities upgrades, you can use the $50M in TV money for that and let the donors focus on NIL efforts.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We're not going anywhere. Dont worry lil bro.

Nor should we. It just so happens that there is not a dumber message board poster in the world than a UConn fan who constantly plays the Game of Thrones with Conference Realignment scenarios.
Personally I see one and only one path to our recieving an offer to join the B-12 but at the moment it does appear to be a slight possibility. If I were a betting man I would say odds are 4-1 or 5-1 against it happening.

That said, if it does happen, we would be making the biggest mistake in the history of the school if we didn't accept. In all candor there was nothing leading us back to the BE when it happened beyond money.

The new AAC media contract was disastrous for us and the school's administration realized that if we could cobble together an average football schedule and secure a minimal contract for the home football games (we exceeded the first and met the second) we would be better off leaving the AAC for the BE. That was a financial decision, period and, the BE wanting us back was also a financial decision, nothing else. The BE wanted us because we made the conference more valuable, no other reason.

The only path I see is Colorado securing a move to the B-12 within the next few weeks while none of the other four corner P-12 schools accept an offer. Additionally, media partners refuse to allow a full pro-rata increase for SD St. At that point we will receive an invitation. Under any other circumstances, we won't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, would that be a fraud like a providence college basketball fan using a Connecticut basketball legends name as your handle on the Seton Hall board? If so it would be pretty weird, am I right?

I say the same thing there that I say here. I'd rather play local teams that we can drive to and with whom we have at least some history, but, if we get a full share offer from a P5 conference, we take it on the spot, no questions asked, and are grateful for it.

A split is coming and programs need to be a part of the current P5 to be on the right side of it. Don't feel bad about the break up it's not you, it's… Well actually sort of is you.

Reaction Score
Explain that to me please

Here's one way

All the boosters who have been asked to help prop up our dire financial straights programs receiving a negligible 4 million a year tv money could now turn their attention to donations for NIL with the Big12 faucet running

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Instead of needing millions of dollars from big donors to fund facilities upgrades, you can use the $50M in TV money for that and let the donors focus on NIL efforts.

Why is that automatic? You can't tell donors where to actually put their money.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yes. Big12 makes no sense . None. We will not chase mediocrity in Football to sacrifice the Best Basketball program in the country. If the Big12 is so great why did Texas and Oklahoma run?
You can't really view a move to the SEC as running.

Now you're getting perilously close to jumping the shark.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You can't really view a move to the SEC as running.

Now you're getting perilously close to jumping the shark.

Sure I can. As an indication that a league is on the wrong side of this deal I certainly can say that.

Reaction Score
Its not a lateral move at worst for Basketball. LOL it is so much not a lateral move. You're a smart guy why can't you see that? There is so much more at play here because of who we are, who CT is as a state, who and what our University is. What makes our hoops program successful and what doesnt. Who our fans are. What they support and what they don't. There is so much more than KenPom conference ranking that goes into this, and what helps us as a program.

Like I said, everyone has to stop pretending this has anything to do with anything BUT Football, and if you don't like that comment take it up with Mr. Fanta.
I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph, there is a lot more that goes into it than just a KenPom conference ranking and good teams. And despite all of that I still see it as a lateral move for basketball, and a massive upgrade for almost all other sports.

Nobody is denying that it's football driving the decision, but like you have accurately said we are and always will be a basketball school which is why that has to factor into the decision. If basketball was the only factor then yes you absolutely stay in the Big East. But the AD has to consider all sports in the decision, even if basketball is #1 in that

Reaction Score
Why is that automatic? You can't tell donors where to actually put their money.
Well, in a way you can. Because you wouldn't need to do any fundraising efforts for infrastructure improvements. That could get fully funded via new TV money.

CL82

Reaction Score
"Funny how you claim to be the basketball capital of the world and then put basketball on the back burner"
Because being in a conference with the two immediate prior men's basketball national champions is putting basketball on the back burner?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not saying UConn Kansas is in the same breath as UNC Duke but those two schools in an expanded ACC somehow miraculously end up playing each other twice a regular season.

They're 8 miles apart and have been rivals forever lol. If the Big 12 goes to regional pods then UConn and Kansas almost certainly not be together.

CL82

Reaction Score
When?
I'd say now, August. There clearly is a split of the haves and have nots in college basketball. That split has been the P5 conferences and everyone else, but now we're starting to see even among the P5s there's more pressure for consolidation with the Pac 12 being the first apparent victims of that pressure. We need to be on the side of the "haves" to have an opportunity to be on the right side of future contraction.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They're 8 miles apart and have been rivals forever lol. If the Big 12 goes to regional pods then UConn and Kansas almost certainly not be together.

Well, you said all leagues do it that way when the ACC does not.

Sure I can. As an indication that a league is on the wrong side of this deal I certainly can say that.

If the Big 12 is bad because teams left, boy I hope you're sitting down when you see what happened to the Big East teams.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, but I could see the big 12 having "featured" games outside of the individual pods. Kansas – UConn would be a logical one.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that's the case, obviously a lot depends on who gets added but with the current 14 team rumors I'd think that would be 2 7 team pods.

The first 4 are obvious, but I'd think Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State are the logical 3 others to add while maintaining most of the current rivalries

IMG_1543.jpeg

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You need to clarify the nonsense that you spewed in the above post.

Are you aware of the differences between what the SEC will pay when compared to what the B-12 pays?

For lack of a better expression, there's always a bigger fish. The SEC is an extremely bigger fish than the B-12 and the B-12 is a bigger fish than the BE.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
They can forsee it, sure, but they sure as heck aren't rooting for it. It costs them more money for largely the same stuff they've already got the rights to!

They'd love to not have pro ratas in the contracts. But they have to. Why? Because if they say no, somebody else will agree to give it to them. And you can't not have either the SEC or Big Ten rights.
Yes.
These threads have really killed your brand, man.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What he is saying should be taken seriously, because he's far from alone. Men's basketball fans, unless they also care about football, are having this reaction because, from a men's basketball perspective, leaving the Big East for the Big XII is not what you want. From that perspective, it's not what I want emotionally. Unfortunately, however, turning it down, even if you don't care about football, would require you to think the Big East is guaranteed to be a national player with the P-5 (or less) conferences going forward in hoops, and we can't count on that. I view the offer as one we probably have to take, but not one that will make me happier as a basketball fan in the short term.

And while I don't expect either conference to invite us, for all its issues (stuck in a bad contract that undervalues their schools compared to what the Big XII is getting and the fact that its TX--OK departure hasn't happened yet but will someday), I would still rather take an offer from the ACC than the Big XII for geographic, rivalry and like minded institution perspectives.

Personally, I don’t think we’re getting an invite either.

There’s basically 70 schools trying to run P5 athletic departments. All of 69 of them will be putting $42-65M in the bank in yearly payouts soon and one will be trying to do it on $4.66 per year.

We’re the last former power conference school standing on the banks. Half of the schools that were promoted actually leapfrogged us from a lower conference. We’re still here in large part because the state has a remarkable “can’t do” attitude with basically everything - those schools jumped us because they took their athletic departments more seriously than we do ours right now.

It’s kinda simple. Do we aspire to be Providence or do we actually want to be included when the power schools start to pull away. (Please, do not bother me with your fantasies that the Big East will get a magical unicorn pass when that happens.) The odds are that we already missed the bus and are fated to whatever, but if there’s one spot left…we need it.

And no, we’re not waiting for the Big Ten or ACC.

We spent too long running our AD like we were Rhode Island to ever think we’re Big Ten material in our lifetimes. Also, the AAU just invited six teams, but can’t do state U missed yet another bus because thinking small is our big idea. The ACC, if they have defections in ten years, will likely move en masse to the Big 12 instead of forming the eastern conference some here love to wish cast.

Anyway.

redemption sake GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom