OT: - Portland, Maine | The Boneyard

OT: Portland, Maine

Reaction Score
I'm heading up to Portland for the long weeekend. Does anyone have food or brewery recommendations? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
A little South of Portland, but Ocean Park Subs in Saco/Old Orchard Beach has some BOMB coffee cake and other pastries. Best I’ve had.

If you keep driving south on I-95 you’ll end up in Southern New England and find the best lobster rolls anywhere. Hot with butter, like god intended.

Reaction Score
I'm heading up to Portland for the long weeekend. Does anyone have food or brewery recommendations? Any help would be appreciated.

My two favorite watering holes, by far, are Grittys and Three Dollar Dewey’s. Nothing fancy about either.

Definitely eat at Fore St if you want a nice dinner. Other spots to check would be Duckfat and Holy Donut.

If you want to go 10-15 minutes outside Portland, I highly recommend The Lobster Shack at Two Lights. BYOB. And there’ll be a line.

Reaction Score
Lobster-Shack.jpg

Your lobster with a view.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Maine Brewing is just outside the city right? They are the most acclaimed craft beer company out there.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Many great breweries in Portland. Sebago Brewpubs everywhere with decent food and decent beer but not to die for. I go up to Laje Sebago for two weeks with my wife’s family a usually do a day in Portland. If you go to Holy Doughnut at 10 you don’t need lunch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Take the tour at Allagash, it's awesome. Plus you get free beer.
2. In the same industrial park that Allagash is in there is also 2 other awesome breweries (Austin Street, and Foundation). Bissell Brothers used to be there but they left to open a larger facility
3. High Roller Lobster Co. MUST see. I've met these dudes a few times. They started as a lobster roll cart and transformed into a full blown restaurant. I met the owner once (when they were still a start up cart) at a restaurant he worked in on the wharf during the off season. Super chill dude and he made me a custom lobster roll just because i mentioned I heard how awesome they are.
4. Portland Oyster Shop. $1 oysters (!!!!!!!!)- you get your pick from anywhere of 5-8 locally sourced Oysters and maybe one or two different locally sourced clams to choose from and wine and beer on tap. Me and the Mrs. must have spent 3 hours there ordering plate after plate after plate.
5. Smokin Aces Smoke shop. Might not be your thing, but Portland is a super hippy town and then have some incredible glass artists (Danny Camp made me some customized glass for gifts for my groomsmen at my wedding.)
6. There's some other amazing restaurants off the main strip. I remember Duck Fat being amazing.. DiMillo's is also pretty cool - which is essentially a Boat they turned into an upscale restaurant. For the price / food you get... i'd recommend going somewhere a bit off the grid. But I've always had a good meal there.

There's a number of other places I love there I just can't think of at the moment. Portland is easily one of my favorite towns on the east coast.

Reaction Score
For food- The East Ender and Eventide Oyster Co. were both good.

Portland Lobster Co. was nice if you want to sit on the water and drink some brews listening to music.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For food- The East Ender and Eventide Oyster Co. were both good.

Portland Lobster Co. was nice if you want to sit on the water and drink some brews listening to music.

And if you don't want to sit by the water and drink some brews while listening to music, there's something wrong with you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My buddy swears by J’s for seafood. I love Becky’s for breakfast. Lone Pine and Bissel Brother’s have great beer.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Stop in kennebunkport and hit new england eco adventure up for a thrill ride. Tell matt his boy from the fairfield third floor sent ya.

My wife, 6 year old and I did it last summer. My face hurt from smiling.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Outside of having great food scenes and a ton of white people they aren't all that comparable. Portland, Oregon is 10x the size of Portland, Maine.

I mean more in terms of how enjoyable it is to be in Portland, ME vs Portland, OR. I've had some bad times in the latter.

Reaction Score
Wife has gone to Dimillo’s in Portland a couple of times and enjoyed it. Literally on the water. The restaurant is in the ferry that used to run between Jamestown and Newport RI

Reaction Score
Such a great spot for food n beer. Must agree with Fore street and Bessel brothers, hands down

Reaction Score
Not a F&B recommendation, but definitely search for a prior Boneyard thread highlighting some generic chain hotel’s Portland rooms for about $500/night. Winning!

Reaction Score
The only place in Portland where I’ve never had anything less than great is Chaval. As far as places to stay, search out airbnb. Beats out hotel rooms in every way.

Reaction Score
I lived in Portland Maine from 2005 until 2008, kind of before it became super popular and gentrified (felt like that started around '08). Just an overall beautiful place to walk around. I like some of the random things you can find, random shops like Strange Maine (wonder if that is still around). Nickelodeon theaters was great, Bullmoose. South Portland has some relaxed beaches you can go to, Eastern Prom was always under rated IMO and is only getting better from what I hear and just walking around Old Port....There is a long walking trail that takes you past some train tracks along the water.

Deering Oaks Park (lived across from there for 3 years) is recommended just to chill, maybe get a sandwich and just enjoy a sunny day and relax a bit. Take the ferry to Peaks Island as well, awesome little town, rent a bike and ride around the island.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom