Popovich interrupts game to scold his own fans | The Boneyard

Popovich interrupts game to scold his own fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Stopping the game to grab the mic to lecture your own fans when all they're doing is booing the opponent is something I thought I would never see in sports.

Get off his lawn!!! Bro get out of my face with that. For the price of NBA tickets i have every right to boo the opposing team. The crowd shouldve booed him. Shut up and coach.

Reaction Score
Pop has just as much of a right to hop on the mic and say that as the fans do to boo Kawhi.
That's corny . Booing is part of the fan experience. This guy is an entitled POS. Who, as GM, fired Bob Hill and made himself coach when the Spurs won the rights to draft Tim Duncan #1 overall. Now he gets Wemby. Born with a horseshoe up his rear it seems.

This man will never miss an opportunity to tell others he is better than them. NBA should fine his ass.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pop is toast already, and what a silly move

"stop the booing", he just can't be serious

If the fans were doing something worse, I get it. But booing, LOL. They pay all your salaries Mr One Trick Pony :)

Reaction Score
Met Pop years ago when I was a sports reporter for a small newspaper. He was running a basketball camp, and I ran into him randomly on the street and asked if he had a few minutes some time (not right then) to give me a quote or two for a story on his camp. He replied, "I came here to get away from people like you." Hated the guy ever since. Worthless pustule, as far as I'm concerned.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Calhoun did it at Gampel one time against (I believe Terry Dehere years) Seton Hall when I was there. Series of bad calls, people were throwing ice on the court and going out of their minds booing. Coach got on the mic and said “Don’t throw anything on the court, let the kids play”. I assumed the ‘let the kids play’ line had a double meaning because the refs were calling a lot of ticky tac fouls.

Reaction Score
Met Pop years ago when I was a sports reporter for a small newspaper. He was running a basketball camp, and I ran into him randomly on the street and asked if he had a few minutes some time (not right then) to give me a quote or two for a story on his camp. He replied, "I came here to get away from people like you." Hated the guy ever since. Worthless pustule, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be pretty annoyed if some jabroni stopped me on the street too.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Calhoun did it at Gampel one time against (I believe Terry Dehere years) Seton Hall when I was there. Series of bad calls, people were throwing ice on the court and going out of their minds booing. Coach got on the mic and said “Don’t throw anything on the court, let the kids play”. I assumed the ‘let the kids play’ line had a double meaning because the refs were calling a lot of ticky tac fouls.

Throwing objects on the court is totally unacceptable

Booing a kid is unacceptable

Booing a professional athlete making crazy millions is not on the same class

Reaction Score
Pop has earned the right to jump on the mic. Booing isnt bad but fan behaviour in arenas can be horrendous and reminders of civility arent bad.

Poe

Reaction Score
So absurd, what’s next, telling the crowd to quiet down so the opposing team can feel comfortable.

These are grown men. No one was throwing objects, no one was in danger, it wasn’t even profanity.

Get a life pop.

Reaction Score

Not the first time a coach has grabbed a microphone

Of course coaches have stopped the game and grabbed the mic when fans are throwing stuff on the court disrupting the game, that's happened a bunch of times and it's obviously totally different. I've seen that several times, I've never seen a NBA coach stop a game to grab the mic and lecture his own fans about having class and to stop booing the opponent.

Popovich somehow made things even worse after the game when he said, "You don't poke the bear" and then got indignant when reporters asked if he could explain his comment a little further. So it wasn't about having class, it was about not fueling the opponent so he'll go off against you in the game.

Reaction Score
Booing? Are you kidding me, it’s time for Pop to retire if he’s gonna be this soft. The fans booed even louder afterwards good.

If Tom Thibodeau told Knicks fans to stop booing the fans would probably throw things onto the court and would have to stop the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd be pretty annoyed if some jabroni stopped me on the street too.

The Rock Wrestling GIF by WWE

Reaction Score
Pop has earned the right to jump on the mic. Booing isnt bad but fan behaviour in arenas can be horrendous and reminders of civility arent bad.
Thats ridiculous. All they were doing was booing an athlete. Perfectly acceptable behavior at a professional sporting event. They didnt need a reminder of civility, they were being perfectly civil and within any reasonable limits. Fans are always being far more harsh with refs, and no one has to scold them like they're children.
Pop obviously thinks he word carries more weight than it does. The booing seemed to get louder, and good on the fans who have that right.

Reaction Score
Years ago, Pop went from a guy who was a great coach, to someone who made the mistake that anyone outside of SA cares what he thinks.
I'd rather listen to Bill Walton discuss the The Grateful Dead for a weekend than to hear Pop lecture anyone about anything for 5 minutes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pop has just as much of a right to hop on the mic and say that as the fans do to boo Kawhi.
...as this board does to bitch about Pop.

#someshamingsarebetterthanothers
#postshamesocietysortof
#stopheywhatsthatsound
#andthebeatgoeson
#unintentionalirony
#andweallfalldown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors