Popovich interrupts game to scold his own fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Popovich interrupts game to scold his own fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hypothetical thought experiment- If alleyne or akok were to get massively & excessively booed ALL game at gampel (it wont/shouldn’t happen) & danny did the same thing, would your reactions be the same? Maybe different since they are college kids.

I wonder if players respect him for standing up/virtue signaling for one of their own, who was a great player for their franchise.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical thought experiment- If alleyne or akok were to get massively & excessively booed ALL game at gampel (it wont/shouldn’t happen) & danny did the same thing, would your reactions be the same? Maybe different since they are college kids.

I wonder if players respect him for standing up/virtue signaling for one of their own, who was a great player for their franchise.

It wouldnt bother most people imo (certainly not me), but it would be a little different because they're college kids.

It's a very different situation for pros

Reaction Score
Hypothetical thought experiment- If alleyne or akok were to get massively & excessively booed ALL game at gampel (it wont/shouldn’t happen) & danny did the same thing, would your reactions be the same? I think ppl just really dont like pop or told what to do

I consider him the most beloved coach in the NBA who has a free pass for a long time because of all his accomplishments and because he's so well liked. It's probably why he thought it was fine to pick up the mic during a game and lecture his fanbase on class. It's probably why in the press room after he did his typical condescending routine with the media and made up a different excuse for why he did it instead of just owning it and apologizing.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Booing? Are you kidding me, it’s time for Pop to retire if he’s gonna be this soft. The fans booed even louder afterwards good.

If Tom Thibodeau told Knicks fans to stop booing the fans would probably throw things onto the court and would have to stop the game.

Love to see this dope call Popp a piece o to his face

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
...as this board does to bitch about Pop.

#someshamingsarebetterthanothers
#postshamesocietysortof
#stopheywhatsthatsound
#andthebeatgoeson
#unintentionalirony
#andweallfalldown
I get the impression there are very few things that garner universal agreement. Nicely done.

Reaction Score
Of course coaches have stopped the game and grabbed the mic when fans are throwing stuff on the court disrupting the game, that's happened a bunch of times and it's obviously totally different. I've seen that several times, I've never seen a NBA coach stop a game to grab the mic and lecture his own fans about having class and to stop booing the opponent.

Popovich somehow made things even worse after the game when he said, "You don't poke the bear" and then got indignant when reporters asked if he could explain his comment a little further. So it wasn't about having class, it was about not fueling the opponent so he'll go off against you in the game.
Poke the bear? Don’t worry Pop, Spurs aren’t doing anything this year other than being spectators to Wemby. Try holding teams under 130 pts.

Reaction Score

I’m sure most fans would understand and I would hope it never gets to that level as these are college players, and booing Allene would be super hypocritical since he transferred here. Winning helps a bit too, ya Pop has 5 rings but without Duncan he is equivalent to Belichick currently without Brady.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Pop has always done what he thinks is the right thing to do and he doesn’t care a ton what you think. Generally I find him on the right side of things.

I have zero negative opinion about him doing that, I don’t see why anyone cares. They were booing Kawhi as a “former player/traitor” type boo and I guess he thinks that’s nonsensical and classless.

Whether he should tell fans not to boo is something I don’t really care about enough to voice an opinion, but I’ll say I don’t disagree with Pop’s opinion.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

That’s his point. People are acting like he’s telling fans they can’t boo. He’s more saying “you seem a little dopey booing a guy who won a Finals MVP for us” and I tend to agree.

Reaction Score
That’s his point. People are acting like he’s telling fans they can’t boo. He’s more saying “you seem a little dopey booing a guy who won a Finals MVP for us” and I tend to agree.
Then why lie about it with the press after the game?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
His team has the worst record in the league, its surprising fans show up. Pop had gotten super soft with age, seems to care more about protecting players feelings than winning games. Sad bc he was a really good coach. The game is better when there’s legitimate animosity between the teams/fans.

Reaction Score
His team has the worst record in the league, its surprising fans show up. Pop had gotten super soft with age, seems to care more about protecting players feelings than winning games. Sad bc he was a really good coach. The game is better when there’s legitimate animosity between the teams/fans.
I think opposing players feelings feel very good when facing Pops teams these days, god forbid your own fans actually get loud when the opposing team shoots fts which helps your team, best defense the spurs have is fans booing. Is booing any different then yelling. Kwahi never even made a big deal about it and said fans have a right to boo and express the way they feel.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

Stopping the game to grab the mic to lecture your own fans when all they're doing is booing the opponent is something I thought I would never see in sports.

that's me when i come on this board and call the big east a poverty mid major church league.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The natural consequence of sports media treating this guy like some moral sage over the past however many years.
That he took to the mic to defend a player he respected is a natural consequence? Hmm, I guess you're right!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Then why lie about it with the press after the game?

I have no idea, I am not Coach Pop.

I missed the lie anyway, I saw him mention poking the bear but that’s not lying so he must have said something else to which you’re referring.

Reaction Score
that's me when i come on this board and call the big east a poverty mid major church league.
As a fan it's better to to root for a national championship level team in a poverty mid major church league than a mid major level team in a P5 conference. :p

Reaction Score
I have no idea, I am not Coach Pop.

I missed the lie anyway, I saw him mention poking the bear but that’s not lying so he must have said something else to which you’re referring.
He interrupted the game to tell the fans to stop booing and to show class. Obviously stopping the game in an attempt to stop Kawhi from having more fuel to play well is an entirely different thing. If you think he's being honest in his media session and it was gamesmanship do you think all the other head coaches should be allowed to grab the microphone mid game in an attempt to disrupt players and the game? Or should that only be allowed for Pop?

Reaction Score
So Celtics fans seemed a little dopey then for booing Ray when he returned to TD Garden in a Heat Jersey, hey he won a championship getting the big 3 started so don’t boo him.

We’re Redsox fans dopey for booing Johnny Damon when he returned to Fenway as a Yankee, hey he won them a ring breaking an 85 year curse.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Throwing objects on the court is totally unacceptable

Booing a kid is unacceptable

Booing a professional athlete making crazy millions is not on the same class
Agree on all accounts and wasn’t meant to compare. Just an anecdote for people not old enough to remember.

Reaction Score
That's a very different situation. Most people here feel pity for your deteriorating mental health, and are hoping you get help somewhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So Celtics fans seemed a little dopey then for booing Ray when he returned to TD Garden in a Heat Jersey, hey he won a championship getting the big 3 started so don’t boo him.
A little dopey? That was pathetic. But I'm putting most of the blame for that on the players like Rondo that poisoned the waters. Ray never put up with nonsense. The C's disrespected him so he looked elsewhere.

Reaction Score

We’re Redsox fans dopey for booing Johnny Damon when he returned to Fenway as a Yankee, hey he won them a ring breaking an 85 year curse.
Yes and yes

Reaction Score
A little dopey? That was pathetic. But I'm putting most of the blame for that on the players like Rondo that poisoned the waters. Ray never put up with nonsense. The C's disrespected him so he looked elsewhere.

What a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24