Pope Cut by Chicago | The Boneyard

Pope Cut by Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
...and handles it with no class. Maybe she should have worked on her jumper more.

"I got sent home today by Chicago Sky. In all honesty I am neither disappointed or punctured by their decision. I really am more relieved. It only took 4 days to get a feel of what things were going to be about, I controlled what I could, but things were already panned out. God blessed me with being drafted, despite red shirting, playing in a one man band for three years etc. thanks to everyone who showed love towards the opportunity! It really meant a lot. Just because Im not playing on the Chicago Sky this season don't mean I won't play overseas and if God see the perfect fit WNBA next season. I would rather have it his way & not forced. Honestly I'm glad it didn't work. I don't mind playing with highly pampered players that the media has already chosen but I endured playing in a box with BG for 3 years I don't see true growth in my own game with it all over again at Chicago with Della Don. I'd rather be in a position where I feel like a irreplaceable asset. Good opportunity but better is sure to come!!! Thanks for the positivity! And watch my video lol bye I'm coming home to make home to some gym of whatever city Im in....overseas will be here before I know it."

Very disappointing attitude but not too surprising. I bet she was a handful to coach.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I always heard Destiny Williams had to disappointing attitude after she left Illinois...and I never saw it at Baylor. I was unaware of Brooklyn's. Very disappointed in this and her previous one about Louisville. I'm guessing she and BG weren't that good of friends considering she said she "enduring playing in the box for BG for 3 years"

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And people were saying things about CVS when she decided to transfer from Rutgers. Well now you see why RU fans were not very upset about it. She's not a team player, and she wants to be the star. It has always been about her, her, her. I'm shocked that she stuck around Baylor until the end.

So glad she didn't make the Sky.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how many W teams are burning up her phone lines. not.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how many W teams are burning up her phone lines. not.

Exactly. Will be a long time, if ever, before she is given another chance.

I really wanted to see Williams get a shot with a team. She was nothing but class at Baylor. Madden had a good outing in her debut with SA.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As Coler said, she made it very plain at RU that she wanted to be all that - actually, in various ways, that whole cursed class, which is why RU fans blame a lot of woes on its existence.

No evidence of being a team player.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wait, hold on, before we bury this kid.
She had a very decent season this year, was much improved, finally started to reach her potential.
No one complained about her lack of effort or team play that I heard.
10.3 points per game/5.7 rebounds, did a lot of work in the trenches.
I don't find what she wrote so objectionable, just a very disappointed kid who believed she paid her dues.
Let's cut her a little slack.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Brooklyn's attitude explains why Baylor didn't win the National Championship this year. Its obvious by her comments all the players on Baylor weren't on the same page.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am sure there are plenty of good YMCA leagues in Ft. Worth Texas, where Ms. Pope can excel and be the player that she was held back from being at Baylor.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"....playing in a one man band for three years etc" :rolleyes:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't find what she wrote so objectionable, just a very disappointed kid who believed she paid her dues.
Let's cut her a little slack.

Re-read it.... she sounds jealous and petty.

And then consider that, whatever her talents, she got picked 28th and then got cut.

If she had the talent to be one team's "indispensable" she needs to have the will to prove it. To earn it.

I've not come to bury her, I've just come to question what kind of teammate she is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I will say that when BG had the huge final home game when she scored 50 points that I recall watching Pope sit back and appear to completely despise the way the crowd roared for BG during that game. And that wasn't the only time I saw that from her.

I believe that the dislike for playing with a superstar didn't end with Pope. I saw behavior that I couldn't imagine Geno putting up with, like looking BG off when she had established position just to take a three point shot or to drive the lane and shoot a wild shot that had no chance of going in. I thought that both Hayden and Sims were guilty of that.

Reaction Score
I believe that the dislike for playing with a superstar didn't end with Pope. I saw behavior that I couldn't imagine Geno putting up with, like looking BG off when she had established position just to take a three point shot or to drive the lane and shoot a wild shot that had no chance of going in. I thought that both Hayden and Sims were guilty of that.

So Pope's complaining that BG was a one-man band and you're complaining that she wasn't?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will say that when BG had the huge final home game when she scored 50 points that I recall watching Pope sit back and appear to completely despise the way the crowd roared for BG during that game. And that wasn't the only time I saw that from her.

I didn't see enough of Baylor to comment, but agree that issue probably sits with the coaching staff. In the 'Baylor next year' thread I commented that I think Kim didn't do enough with the rest of the team, especially considering the players she is losing. Not in tight games, but there weren't that many of those, she should have given the bench more minutes. And I do believe she ended the year working on getting the scoring record for BG instead of getting a NC for Baylor - she and the tea just assumed that was theirs.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Obviously, team chemistry at Baylor was an issue. Consider this...at one time UConn was in the running for Pope...glad she decided on Rutgers and not UConn.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that's how it sounded. But the question is, what caused that attitude? It must be difficult to play on a team where one player is so adored by the press and is so dominant that everyone else on the team feels like chopped liver. The attitude of the coach can do much to overcome the problem. Geno seems to know what is needed for success. He gave Maya what-for much more frequently than seemed necessary. He was an inclusive critic. But the real difference maker is how the star handles it.

Most successful superstars have personalities that include and inspire teammates. Delle Donne knew she had to do most of the work, but she didn't think of herself as better than the rest of the squad. She was the first to gather her players at every opportunity. Maya was like that too, a great teammate who worked at making her teammates feel important. It was Kelly's greatest asset, Stef too.

I'm wondering if Brittney's personality didn't generate the kind of loyalty that would allow her mates to be happy for her success at their own expense. There were times during Baylor's games where I wondered why the ball wasn't going to Brittney more often. Perhaps the two handed Baylor logo display after a basket instead of a pat on the back for the nice feed had something to do with it. Not that it's her fault, it's a skill not everyone has. It takes more to be a superstar than being a superstar.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that's how it sounded. But the question is, what caused that attitude? It must be difficult to play on a team where one player is so adored by the press and is so dominant that everyone else on the team feels like chopped liver. The attitude of the coach can do much to overcome the problem. Geno seems to know what is needed for success. He gave Maya what-for much more frequently than seemed necessary. He was an inclusive critic. But the real difference maker is how the star handles it.

Most successful superstars have personalities that include and inspire teammates. Delle Donne knew she had to do most of the work, but she didn't think of herself as better than the rest of the squad. She was the first to gather her players at every opportunity. Maya was like that too, a great teammate who worked at making her teammates feel important. It was Kelly's greatest asset, Stef too.

I'm wondering if Brittney's personality didn't generate the kind of loyalty that would allow her mates to be happy for her success at their own expense. There were times during Baylor's games where I wondered why the ball wasn't going to Brittney more often. Perhaps the two handed Baylor logo display after a basket instead of a pat on the back for the nice feed had something to do with it. Not that it's her fault, it's a skill not everyone has. It takes more to be a superstar than being a superstar.
I really think the problem in this case is with Brooklyn, not BG. She knew exactly what she was getting into when she went to Baylor. BG was already committed to going there and was expected to be the star of the team - which she was. If it was at the expense of other teammates, so be it. The rest of the team were supporting players - very necessary ones, especially in Sims case, but definitely not the main attraction. I thought Brooklyn was happier at Baylor, but I did notice that she did not become a starter until her senior year.

After watching Brooklyn play at RU for a year and following her career (I actually liked her and wished her well) I honestly felt she wanted to be the main attraction. She might have had a chance to become that if she stayed at RU as we didn't have another superstar on the team, but she clearly was not playing for the good of the team. When she was on the floor, it was all about Brooklyn and trying to showcase her moves - which did not include passing off to open teammates. Naturally this caused her to be quickly pulled from the game. If she had been willing to do what the coach wanted her to do, she would have earned tons of playing time and most likely would have started from her soph year on.

IMO, Brooklyn does not have the skills to be the star of a professional bb team nor the temperament to be a role player. She blames everyone else for her failures. She has her college degree (not sure if she has finished her Masters). Maybe it is time for her to move on to something else.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please, everyone, try to stick with known facts. Speculating on a player's motivation/feelings for the last four years based on one Facebook post is just wrong.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

In a funny sort of way, I find her comments refreshing.
Finally, a kid, rightly or wrongly is telling us what the reality of the experience was for her.

You all may recall, a few seasons ago, I became interested in what Lauren and Michala really felt about sitting on the bench until deep garbage time.
At the time, all you could get from them was how much they loved the experience.

Then they left for other opportunities.

What the kid's and their family's really think is a deep, dark secret, hidden in the platitudes that one is require to mouth what with University managed thought police always at hand.

Here's a kid who calls it the way she sees it and Trash informs us that her feelings may not have been unique.

Even if she sounds selfish to some, I admire the attitude that lets us get closer to the real game.

And I reject the concept that she played "selfish" this season. Played a tough power forward and first-class garbage collector, what every team requires.

Reaction Score
Obviously, team chemistry at Baylor was an issue. Consider this...at one time UConn was in the running for Pope...glad she decided on Rutgers and not UConn.
I don't know what it would be like to work hard for so many years to achieve something and then have that taken away from me in a matter of days. Maybe she will land a spot somewhere but I don't blame her for being upset and venting. I know I've done a lot worse over a lot less.

Reaction Score
Yep. And Pope isn't the only bullet UConn has dodged in having a hotly recruited player finally deciding to go elsewhere.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hesitated to weigh in on this but have to say I agree with Nan's comments.

Having said that, I don't blame ETT for being annoyed by Pope's comments - imagine how we'd feel if Lorin Dixon had the same comments about Maya after her time at UCONN? And I think it's pretty clear that as long as the WNBA struggles, teams will try to do whatever it takes to bring new fans in. If that means hyping EDD to high heaven, then the Sky will do it without giving a second thought to any other player. I wonder how that will sit with Fowles this year...

But I also think it's becoming pretty clear that there were chemistry issues at Baylor. The more we hear about the Griner era, the more we hear there were chemistry problems. Fortunately Griner was not a prima donna, but it appears Mulkey didn't have a handle on the chemistry issues. Frankly I don't blame other players if they felt it was the Griner show 100% of the time (how many times did we hear Mulkey interviewed and say "we have to get the ball to Griner more"?). I get that Griner was one of a kind, but it's Mulkey's job partly to manage the team to get them to play together and buy into the offense/defense they are running based on their strengths/weaknesses.

I think it's fair to criticize Pope without calling her a cancer or what not, but I also think we really have no idea what went on in the Baylor inner circle during the past few seasons. Maybe Pope has a point...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I hesitated to weigh in on this but have to say I agree with Nan's comments.

Having said that, I don't blame ETT for being annoyed by Pope's comments - imagine how we'd feel if Lorin Dixon had the same comments about Maya after her time at UCONN? And I think it's pretty clear that as long as the WNBA struggles, teams will try to do whatever it takes to bring new fans in. If that means hyping EDD to high heaven, then the Sky will do it without giving a second thought to any other player. I wonder how that will sit with Fowles this year...

But I also think it's becoming pretty clear that there were chemistry issues at Baylor. The more we hear about the Griner era, the more we hear there were chemistry problems. Fortunately Griner was not a prima donna, but it appears Mulkey didn't have a handle on the chemistry issues. Frankly I don't blame other players if they felt it was the Griner show 100% of the time (how many times did we hear Mulkey interviewed and say "we have to get the ball to Griner more"?). I get that Griner was one of a kind, but it's Mulkey's job partly to manage the team to get them to play together and buy into the offense/defense they are running based on their strengths/weaknesses.

I think it's fair to criticize Pope without calling her a cancer or what not, but I also think we really have no idea what went on in the Baylor inner circle during the past few seasons. Maybe Pope has a point...

From watching a interview from Fowles on Media Day for the Sky, Syl seems to be very excited about EDD being on the team, as does Prince, and Cash. I think they get that it's all about winning now, and getting to the playoffs and whoever helps get them there is a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom