Polley | The Boneyard

Polley

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I found the few minutes Polley played yesterday to be pretty impressive. You don't see many 6'8 freshman make a smooth behind the back crossover for a lay in often. Sure he missed a couple open shots, but he got to the line a few times and was a main catalyst in that "mini" run we had to end the game. I know the score wasn't ideal, but I think games like this against a quality opponent will serve us well to start the season --- especially for the younger players we will need to rely on. Coach em up KO!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yes, I really liked what I saw from him. Seemed pretty smooth especially with that behind-the-back/score and with the foul shots. I think he is going to be very good. He reminds me a bit of Rip and Daniels.

Reaction Score
Didn't see it and was only able to listen to a little of it but would love to see more posts about each guy in particular like this thanks guys. I mean it was an exhibition, hell it had that feel on the radio for crying out loud. People who expect this team to be on all cylinders last night were in for a rude awakening. It will turn out this was a great extra game before the season starts.

PC is good, very good maybe. Heck they were missing 2 very good players but watching some of that intra squad video they have some very nice athletes UConn was lucky to get a taste of a good team early on like this no matter what the outcome was.

I can't read all of the other usual the world is coming to an end posts looking for the one guy telling e he liked Carlton, or Cobb or Polley like this thread. Lets have some insight to others on this thread in a positive and critical manner. But not how awful the team was. They were, I get it but it's an exhibition so its okay.

Reaction Score
Didn't see it and was only able to listen to a little of it but would love to see more posts about each guy in particular like this thanks guys. I mean it was an exhibition, hell it had that feel on the radio for crying out loud. People who expect this team to be on all cylinders last night were in for a rude awakening. It will turn out this was a great extra game before the season starts.

PC is good, very good maybe. Heck they were missing 2 very good players but watching some of that intra squad video they have some very nice athletes UConn was lucky to get a taste of a good team early on like this no matter what the outcome was.

I can't read all of the other usual the world is coming to an end posts looking for the one guy telling e he liked Carlton, or Cobb or Polley like this thread. Lets have some insight to others on this thread in a positive and critical manner. But not how awful the team was. They were, I get it but it's an exhibition so its okay.

True Mau, about the negative. But for me the post stating we have the best or near best backcourt posts are just as tiring.

Yes an exhibition but one against our old Rival, recruiting rival and neighbor. I hope the team learned something from it but it did nothing to encorage a fan base that needs something positive.

Reaction Score

All these kids look the part athletically, even Cobb and Carlton. Cobb shows he can dribble (a bit out of control). Whaley is a human pogo stick--he gets high quickly. Polley is smooth. Carlton has a nice inside game.

The only one I'm not sure about is Anderson. He's a bit of a spaz.

While all the players looked the part, they were badly confused on D, hedging too much, allowing cuts and players to blow by them, with little rim protection. In other words, a recipe for disaster.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Planned on coming here to make a post on Polley and I'm happy to see this posted. He stood out to me during our late run to cut into the lead.

In limited minutes yesterday, he certainly looked like he BELONGED on the floor(2nd half especially). As a freshman, saying he belongs speaks volumes. As others here have mentioned, his game looks smooth and he obviously has room to grow. Major upside and a lot to like from his limited minutes.

His relatively impressive handle, length, and athleticism make him a great asset on the offensive end to where I think he can be a contributor down low. Here's to hoping he can hit the boards and defend well enough to earn enough minutes so that he can develop his all-around game.

Reaction Score
I thought he played well. Would love Tyler Phommachanh see him get in the rotation!

But that nehind the back crossover you all are talking about was not smooth. Too upright. He barely pulled it off and dribbled nearly into a PC guy. I was sitting right there.

If he can be a 8/3/2 kind of guy by conference play, id be very pleased!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I thought he played well. Would love Tyler Phommachanh see him get in the rotation!

But that nehind the back crossover you all are talking about was not smooth. Too upright. He barely pulled it off and dribbled nearly into a PC guy. I was sitting right there.

If he can be a 8/3/2 kind of guy by conference play, id be very pleased!
smooth or not it worked

Reaction Score
But he didn't dribble into the PC guy, he put the ball behind his back, went by the help defender, and got an open layup.

Forchrissakes it wasn't "smooth"? Just shut the fk up.

Reaction Score
This team just looks inexperienced (duh!). Sure there were some moments but they need a lot more playing time (not practice). As the rotation shrinks it will be hard for a few of them to develop or get better. I just think we are a year away from seeing our 'reemergence'.

I've said all along that this year will be a great year for development, chemistry and confidence. Just saying I'm tempering expectations (at least today) for this squad, and really hoping Jalen returns. Everyone will improve over time and that alone excites me.

All I want to see is UConn competitive ball with players hustling, scrapping, diving and banging 100%. With that we will get some wins and some surprising wins to boot.

In any event it should be a fun and entertaining season with this roster.

Reaction Score
But he didn't dribble into the PC guy, he put the ball behind his back, went by the help defender, and got an open layup.

Forchrissakes it wasn't "smooth"? Just shut the fk up.

Great input to the yard, i see. 10/10

Its not likely to work again, is what im saying. That isnt likely to be a staple of hos arsenal. Mid range Js, and drawing fouls with his height are

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Its not likely to work again, is what im saying. That isnt likely to be a staple of hos arsenal. Mid range Js, and drawing fouls with his height are
But it did show the kid has some skills and to attempt that as a freshman against a team who was in his grille most of the night - it was impressive
We don't know if or when he will do that again but my guess is that it is a good indication of what he is capable of doing
Stiff??????????????

Reaction Score

Jeez, you're a tough audience. What did you think of the play where he caught the deflected pass, spun around his defender, dribbled into the lane and dished it to Whaley? Not bad for a 6'9" kid.

Reaction Score
Jeez, you're a tough audience. What did you think of the play where he caught the deflected pass, spun around his defender, dribbled into the lane and dished it to Whaley? Not bad for a 6'9" kid.
Not his arsenal. He needs to just be tall and get fouled.

Great basketball insight that was.

If he can get to the rim like that once, he can do it again. Too stiff. Lmao. I can imagine Ollie telling him not to do that again. Don’t attack the rim, settle for jumpers.

Reaction Score
Not his arsenal. He needs to just be tall and get fouled.

Great basketball insight that was.

If he can get to the rim like that once, he can do it again. Too stiff. Lmao. I can imagine Ollie telling him not to do that again. Don’t attack the rim, settle for jumpers.

On what planet did I say he should not drive at all ? His game will be straight line drives, drawing fouls on smaller guards, and pull ups. I've seen 3 of his games at Sagemont. That type of handle is not going to consistently be a scoring move for him at this point in his career.

This happens every year. You jabronis get keyed up after 1 game because the freshman is a superstar, then reality sets in. Cassell was going to be a high volume scoring guard for us, remember?

Reaction Score
On what planet did I say he should not drive at all ? His game will be straight line drives, drawing fouls on smaller guards, and pull ups. I've seen 3 of his games at Sagemont. That type of handle is not going to consistently be a scoring move for him at this point in his career.

This happens every year. You jabronis get keyed up after 1 game because the freshman is a superstar, then reality sets in. Cassell was going to be a high volume scoring guard for us, remember?
I didn't say he was going to be a superstar. I'm laughing at you for being critical of a 6'9" freshman splitting two defenders with a behind the back dribble for an open lay up.

And for saying he should use his height to get fouled. LMAO. "Hey guys, I'm tall, come foul me please"

Reaction Score
I didn't say he was going to be a superstar. I'm laughing at you for being critical of a 6'9" freshman splitting two defenders with a behind the back dribble for an open lay up.

And for saying he should use his height to get fouled. LMAO. "Hey guys, I'm tall, come foul me please"

When you are tall and can get to the hoop, you get fouled more... That's basketball 101, man. You're being foolish. Too many red herrings and straw men in your argumentative style. This isn't a conversation worth having. Enjoy the season

Reaction Score
@husky439
You're arguing that he was too stiff in making a nice move to the hoop, while saying he should continue to get to the hoop. Too much stupid in your arguments.

I don't think anyone said that he's going to attempt to go behind the back and split two defenders as his "go-to" move, and I didn't say he was a superstar. I also didn't say anything about Cassell being a superstar. So you can stop with the straw men and red herrings, hypocrite.

Reaction Score
Regardless of that one play, Polley’s handle is far ahead of what DeAndre Daniels was working with as a freshman. It’s good to know Polley will be able to play backup minutes at the 3 right away.

Yeah, Polley definitely has more SF skills than Deandre at this stage.

Despite Deandres 5* ranking, I could easily see Polley putting up better numbers than Deandre his freshman year. Polley doesnt have Deandres length or stroke, but he seems to have a decent IQ. If he plays within the offense and makes hustle plays, he could be a valuable piece. Cant teach 6'8 with ball skills.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Polley definitely has more SF skills than Deandre at this stage.

Despite Deandres 5* ranking, I could easily see Polley putting up better numbers than Deandre his freshman year. Polley doesnt have Deandres length or stroke, but he seems to have a decent IQ. If he plays within the offense and makes hustle plays, he could be a valuable piece. Cant teach 6'8 with ball skills.
Agreed. He also plays within himself and has a lengthy history of high efficiency (although he’s not a volume shooter). We’ve missed that. UConn hasn’t had a highly efficient perimeter player since Giffey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom