Polley working out with Shabazz and Irv Roland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Polley working out with Shabazz and Irv Roland

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
His dad was in the NFL so hopefully some of that money was invested and is available for off-season training. Or, if not, then if Hurley is fired for cause quickly enough we can get Ollie back and not have to pay the $10 Million.

Bite your tongue! Or in this case, your keyboard, I guess.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The latter, TMI
My new mental picture for @Kenny11:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Polley made a nice jump from freshman to soph. Not as much as Carlton, but his defense was a major improvement and he was over 40% from 3. He needs to build strength, aggressively rebound and attack the basket. I think he will make another big jump this year, and be an absolute terror by senior season. I get the sense that once he really believes in himself he will dominate at times. This is a sign that he has the desire to improve that will cause that to happen.

Reaction Score
Polley made a nice jump from freshman to soph. Not as much as Carlton, but his defense was a major improvement and he was over 40% from 3. He needs to build strength, aggressively rebound and attack the basket. I think he will make another big jump this year, and be an absolute terror by senior season. I get the sense that once he really believes in himself he will dominate at times. This is a sign that he has the desire to improve that will cause that to happen.

38% from 3. Still very good thiugh

Reaction Score
Tyler can make a real jump from soph to jr year if he works hard. He really needs to get a tight handle with a crossover so he can take people to the hoop. He has to be confident in picking his times but they are numerous for now. How many times did you see him running through the offense with his thoughts always to just hand off or pass back out as the play asked. There were times the defense was so sure that's all that was going to happen you could see their guard down, way down. If he stopped and decided to take his guy he could have created for himself or someone else. He also finished, even on ones he made, weak and too low. Needs to work on finishing in contact and strong. He's usually very long compared to his defender should be able to use that advantage when going to the hole.

As Hawk said he got better defensively and another jump is critical. But he NEEDS to rebound next year as does Sid. These guys need to understand how critical rebounding the basketball is during their minutes.

Reaction Score
I've thought that Polley showed indicators of high level play. Several times he caught a pass, blew by his defender who was running out to him, and dunked. Also hit several big 3s in a couple of games.

With the right guys around him, he can be very good.

Also, as the bench gets deeper, he'll have to work harder for boards.

The best treatment for boardophobia is pine.

Reaction Score
If he can't rebound, he won't play. Simple as that. Every other skill he could learn inn secondary.

He stares at the ball, even with good position. That can be fixed, but it's tough. 2p years of habits to reverse

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I quite like an Al, CV, Polley, Akok, Carlton starting 5.

What I think is most interesting here is the competition. Polley pushing for time at 3-4, forcing Akok to produce. Pushing Sid at the 3 and Bouknight potentially. Gaffney and Bouknight pushing CV at the 2. It’s been quite some time since we’ve seen that kind of competition on the roster.

So I think we will see your lineup. And we will see Sid starting at the 3 and Polley at the 4, and Gaffney or Bouknight for CV at the 2 as well. I would be surprised if Hurley doesn’t try 5-6 starting lineups by Christmas. Let’s see who wants it. Other than Al and Josh the remaining spots are wide open.

Reaction Score
Vital might be more valuable off the bench. He can come in as experienced player and instant offense. It it might also present the opportunity for CV to come in against an opponent's second string defender.

Starting Gaff or Boat would be a great way to give them minutes and experience. And you would lose nothing -perhaps gain something- bringing in CV.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Vital might be more valuable off the bench. He can come in as experienced player and instant offense. It it might also present the opportunity for CV to come in against an opponent's second string defender.

Starting Gaff or Boat would be a great way to give them minutes and experience. And you would lose nothing -perhaps gain something- bringing in CV.
Yeah Ryan Boatright would be huge

Reaction Score

Yes, we shouldn't start our best players, because then we can bring them in off the bench.

Reaction Score
Yes, we shouldn't start our best players, because then we can bring them in off the bench.
Exactly. The Celtics did it with Kevin McHale. James Harden came off the bench in 2012 besides being one of the Thunders best players. It's fairly common. It allows coaches to dictate or match, match ups.

Besides, starters in basketball are nowhere near as important as who you have in at the end of the game. Starting in basketball is highly over rated. Many times a coach will start a player that helps him dictate tempo in a certain way. Of course, you probably knew that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I swear I don't remember Polley being a good defender. Am I wrong?

Reaction Score

On certain assignments he can be solid. He was pretty good at chasing guys around and using his length to bother shooters. Against more physical guys he wasn't good. But he definitely made progress and seems to take pride in wanting to be a good defender.

Reaction Score
He had games were he shutdown the opponents key player. Followed by games were he couldn’t guard a chair. The later outnumbered the former unfortunately, but even if you only do it once the potential is there.
Plus his length is pretty impressive. .

Reaction Score
It's the offseason, that's why posters are hyping Polley, Vital, and making Carlton out to be an All-American. We know what they've been, we're an under .500 team with them and that's why it's so important we raise the talent level. Getting Bouknight. Gaffney, and Akok is a good start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom