Polley Pitched A Shutout | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Polley Pitched A Shutout

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Polley pitched a shutout.

13 minutes, 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists. How does that happen when you are 6'9" and play a third of the game?

While I appreciate his dedication to UConn, he is pretty clearly the worst player we have that actually plays. I can't comment on Springs. This isn't new. It has been the case for some time.

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game and did not notice he even played. Mr. Cellophane!

Reaction Score
Cole's 3 worst shots a game, every game, are effectively turnovers. UConn is not Howard, and we don't need him taking long, contested pullups. I like him as a creator, playmaker and shooting off the catch. I can do without the high volume shooting.
I8
Cole's 3 worst shots a game, every game, are effectively turnovers. UConn is not Howard, and we don't need him taking long, contested pullups. I like him as a creator, playmaker and shooting off the catch. I can do without the high volume shooting.
There will be good and bad for all players if RJ plays like he has been the last few games this is a deep tournament team. Enjoy it ..... think of where we have been.

Reaction Score
He needs to be more active when playing but just having him as a threat to shoot helped the team. They had to cover him on the perimeter and that helped other players on the team with spacing. Don't discount the threat.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite NBA stats:

Jud Buechler
He is also notable for being the all-time NBA leader in "trillions" (logging playing time in a game but not getting anything for the stat sheet, resulting in a number followed by 12 zeroes), with 55.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He creates gravity. Opens the lane for Bouknight (sidenote: Bouknight’s full speed on the break with the ball is ridiculously fast and his running form is just so unique in how he gets low but not head down, or gangly).

Polley also seems to play decent defense.

The frustration is the lack of rebounding but I’ve watched him a few times and it appears he boxes out his man decently but is either horrible at reading rebounds, or has horrible reaction time for rebounds in his area.

That said, he comes off the bench for a reason. Perfectly happy with him bc he could win UConn a game by himself if he gets hot and UConn hasn’t had that kind of player off the bench in awhile.
The bold pretty much covers my impression of his rebounding. There are two other possibilities. It's possible his peripheral vision is poor or he's been coached to focus on his player. Hurley recognizes his defensive limitation and wants him to avoid letting his player beat him either with a shot or driving past him. Hurley is sacrificing rebounding for scoring prevention. Given the number of good rebounders on this team (the team rebounding stats don't lie) it's a reasonable coaching decision.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I understand the frustration, especially when the NBA values 3-pt snipers now more than ever and it seems like $millions are there for the taking (see JJ Redick).

However, if we lose that Marquette game, this season could’ve easily death-spiraled. Doesn’t mean he gets a pass for the rest of the season, but as long as we keep winning, he can keep posting donuts as long as he comes up big in critical moments in the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
At this point we know who he is. He's a 3 point shooter. A decent one if he's open. He'll legitimately shoot close to 40% if he gets a bit of time and his feet set. He's not going to do much else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This stat line is incorrect. He has an assist to Whaley at 11:24 with UConn down 15-10. It’s an entry pass and Whaley makes a nice move but that’s an assist.
Yep Hurley said this exact same thing in his pregame press conference. Allows the team to play four on four.

also I think he should’ve gotten an assist for the feed at the 1:23 mark.

Official box score shows UConn with 4 blocks for the game.

I'm thinking score keeper was missing some stats.

Reaction Score
One of the strangest comments about UConn from a game announcer I've ever heard.
In the play by play announcers defense, they are required to talk a lot. Some of it is going to be nonsense.

I think the play by play announcer got confused. More specifically, I think the statement came right after a dude got a step on Tyler, but Tyler recovered and blocked him.... which is pretty rare. I think the play-by-play announcer knew how rare it was. Actually wanted to say, Tyler is tall but plays smaller and was a bit surprised he made the block. Obviously the announcer needs to think and talk quick. He got his internal logic mixed up. Also knew it was probably inappropriate to insult Tyler and state he plays smaller. The result was his confused statement.

Reaction Score
He's done it before this season. On more minutes, I think. It's uncanny.
There were times, as usual he was watching SH get offensive rebounds ..he had no box out or movement to the rim as they shot. Adams has more to contribute at times.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, Tyrese had 6 rebounds and an assist. Very different than 0, 0, and 0.

Polley was literally Mr. Invisible statistically.

Tyrese also played good defense all night. Polley is less effective than a chair, because a chair at least gets in your way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom