Polley Pitched A Shutout | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Polley Pitched A Shutout

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is the right guy and we can win a Natty with him as head coach but...
he definitely needs help on the offensive end. Polley needs to be parked somewhere on the 3 pt line and they need to run some action to free him up. He is running around the 3 pt line making rugby passes. Mindboggling. He needs to be a stationary shooter. It's not hard. Every NBA team has two. Also, our best player should NEVER get an offensive foul for setting a screen! And instead of going down 12-2 every game why don't we run some action for Bouk to get a shot early on? Calhoun would run double low screens on both sides of the floor until Rip got an open shot. Do the same for Bouk.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is the right guy and we can win a Natty with him as head coach but...
he definitely needs help on the offensive end. Polley needs to be parked somewhere on the 3 pt line and they need to run some action to free him up. He is running around the 3 pt line making rugby passes. Mindboggling. He needs to be a stationary shooter. It's not hard. Every NBA team has two. Also, our best player should NEVER get an offensive foul for setting a screen! And instead of going down 12-2 every game why don't we run some action for Bouk to get a shot early on? Calhoun would run double low screens on both sides of the floor until Rip got an open shot. Do the same for Bouk.

Cole is a much better shooter off the catch too.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Polley is a magnet on offense. He draws the defenses attention. For that reason alone he’s valuable
Agreed. No reason to move him around. Let him float on the 3 pt line and force teams to dedicate a man to cover him. @nelsonmuntz Cole is a player and he's getting better by the game. I cringed when he tried to dribble through the quadrable team, lol, but his decision making has been impressive. I wouldn't have said this two weeks ago but this is a second weekend team. Huskies have been messing people up on D.

Reactions: CV1

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agreed. No reason to move him around. Let him float on the 3 pt line and force teams to dedicate a man to cover him. @nelsonmuntz Cole is a player and he's getting better by the game. I cringed when he tried to dribble through the quadrable team, lol, but his decision making has been impressive. I wouldn't have said this two weeks ago but this is a second weekend team. Huskies have been messing people up on D.

Cole's 3 worst shots a game, every game, are effectively turnovers. UConn is not Howard, and we don't need him taking long, contested pullups. I like him as a creator, playmaker and shooting off the catch. I can do without the high volume shooting.

Reaction Score
You would rather play a shorter player who shoots worse and also doesn't rebound or pass well and also turns the ball over all the time?

Don't ever coach, please.

Even when he pitches a 13 Trillion like tonight he is a threat and spaces the floor.
Perhaps Polly is the perfect military decoy. If you know military history, there are tons of paper tanks, we have a paper tiger. He does keep out of the way and in a strange sense that can help. It worked! An impressive win at a needed time to win.

Reaction Score
2nd weekend team? Why so pessimistic?

caw

Reaction Score
He creates gravity. Opens the lane for Bouknight (sidenote: Bouknight’s full speed on the break with the ball is ridiculously fast and his running form is just so unique in how he gets low but not head down, or gangly).

Polley also seems to play decent defense.

The frustration is the lack of rebounding but I’ve watched him a few times and it appears he boxes out his man decently but is either horrible at reading rebounds, or has horrible reaction time for rebounds in his area.

That said, he comes off the bench for a reason. Perfectly happy with him bc he could win UConn a game by himself if he gets hot and UConn hasn’t had that kind of player off the bench in awhile.

Reaction Score
Polley is a magnet on offense. He draws the defenses attention. For that reason alone he’s valuable
This! Took 25+ posts for someone to understand

guy can’t make a move on the dribble but as long as we stay decently spaced his presence is a weapon, goose egg or not.

Reaction Score
He could be the most "Invisible" 6'9" man in history.

Reaction Score
I have a question about Polley for the stats guys on this board.

His 36.1 3P% this year is 23rd out of 50 Big East players that have taken at least 50 3P. His overall FG% is 70th out of 75 qualify BE players. Yet...his ORtg per Real GM is 9th out of 75 qualifying players. Is the fact that he's a slightly above average 3P shooter and 3P shots make up a huge proportion of his overall shots enough to offset the fact that his overall shooting percentages aren't that great, or is there more to it? Stats from RealGM.

Thanks very much.

Also, I'm not buying the magnet argument. He has some loud nights where he catches fire like vs. Marquette, but I think these hot streaks trick us into thinking he's a great shooter. Being generous and using his career 38.5% 3P%, that would put him 19th out of 50 players in the Big East that have attempted at least 2 threes per game - so a good 3P shooter but not amazing. Again being generous and using his career overall shooting percentage of 39.4%, he'd be 59th out of 75 qualifying players. His 3.8 Reb/40 puts him 67th out of 75 qualifying players in the BE, just below 5'10" RJ Cole. His 0.8 Ast/40 puts him 69th out of 75. 73rd out of 75 in Steals, etc. You get the drift. He seems like a good kid that's easy to root for, but the more of his minutes that AJ earns, the better.

Reaction Score
I have a question about Polley for the stats guys on this board.

His 36.1 3P% this year is 23rd out of 50 Big East players that have taken at least 50 3P. His overall FG% is 70th out of 75 qualify BE players. Yet...his ORtg per Real GM is 9th out of 75 qualifying players. Is the fact that he's a slightly above average 3P shooter and 3P shots make up a huge proportion of his overall shots enough to offset the fact that his overall shooting percentages aren't that great, or is there more to it? Stats from RealGM.

Thanks very much.

Also, I'm not buying the magnet argument. He has some loud nights where he catches fire like vs. Marquette, but I think these hot streaks trick us into thinking he's a great shooter. Being generous and using his career 38.5% 3P%, that would put him 19th out of 50 players in the Big East that have attempted at least 2 threes per game - so a good 3P shooter but not amazing. Again being generous and using his career overall shooting percentage of 39.4%, he'd be 59th out of 75 qualifying players. His 3.8 Reb/40 puts him 67th out of 75 qualifying players in the BE, just below 5'10" RJ Cole. His 0.8 Ast/40 puts him 69th out of 75. 73rd out of 75 in Steals, etc. You get the drift. He seems like a good kid that's easy to root for, but the more of his minutes that AJ earns, the better.
You pretty much nailed it. Efficient shot selection, but also very few turnovers. It's the same profile for many catch and shoot non-creatior players.

Reaction Score
This stat line is incorrect. He has an assist to Whaley at 11:24 with UConn down 15-10. It’s an entry pass and Whaley makes a nice move but that’s an assist.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This! Took 25+ posts for someone to understand

guy can’t make a move on the dribble but as long as we stay decently spaced his presence is a weapon, goose egg or not.
Then he can’t be on the floor with Gaffney jackson Whaley and sanogo. He has to be on the floor with Bouk and or Cole

Reaction Score
After reading each post I expected the next post to be @Huskymagic rallying to have Polley's back. In game chat he is always calling for Polley as the answer to an 'in game' slump. (sorry, had to poke the tiger)

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
1614865911236.png

Reaction Score
I saw SH guarding the perimeter. He's a perimeter shooter. They had a donut hole under the rim. How many times did UConn penetrate and make a straight line to the basket? There was no one there down low.

Reaction Score
Every time we run sets to force feed it to Polley, it doesn't work.

He's not the kind of guy who can curl around a screen, catch, square up, and shoot.

His best shooting is:
  • as a trailer in transition
  • off of an offensive rebound and kickout
  • when the defense lags in rotation around the perimeter and he can either catch and shoot from stationary or take a single side-dribble and shoot

Polley isn't Rip Hamilton.

Reaction Score
Polley pitched a shutout.

13 minutes, 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists. How does that happen when you are 6'9" and play a third of the game?

Put some respect on Ty Polley's name. We win by double digits away locking up a NCAA bid, and you come up with this nonsense topic.

Dagger Trey Ty one of the best players on the team. He needs to be fed when playing alonside Bouk. This game was geared for Sanogo and Whaley. It was that simple. The rhythm of the game favored the big man, and they played well.

Polley's impact much better than Martin's or AJacks. No questions about it. Thanks to Dagger Trey Ty we are looking at a 6 seed most likely in the NCAA tournament. Smile it helps.

#FeedPolley

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom