Poll Will the Team End the Regular Season Undefeated? | The Boneyard

Poll Will the Team End the Regular Season Undefeated?

Will Team end Regular Season Undefeated

• Total voters

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will this years team end the Regular Season Undefeated?

Many thought team would go through the season undefeated, but their play in some quarters, may have changed some minds

Reaction Score
I’m not jumping off the ship cause they weren’t perfect against Nevada

Nor should you. This UConn team is head and shoulders better than any other team in the country! They beat a team by 31, on the road, with their largest crowd EVER, at the end of a 10 day brutal trip, without arguably the best overall player in country, and now people are worried? Are you bleeping kidding me?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This team overwhelms opponents. They have played a very tuff schedule schedule and have won every game without doubt. Have they been able to maintain big leads? Yes however unlike last season when they played their top 5 for most of the game they are working in their non starters this season to prepare them for the rest of the season and beyond. Lou has been out . Camara has been out. They still steamroll teams. It will all come together as the season progresses and as the season progresses the schedule get easier except for a few top teams.

Sunday we play ND. You cant compare ND's games to playing UConn. For example ND be Mich by 20 this week. Mich aint got UConns defense height balance or scoring ability. We did a number on ND last season on the road. This years game is at home and hopefully Lou can play and play like we know she can play. With 2 weeks off with an injury we shall see. I am very confident that this years version UConn is much better overall then last years because of their players added to the roster and their development.

Geno this season is like a farmer. He has planted the seeds, and is waiting for them to grow and when they do he will have a tremendous garden to choose from. Some will grow fast, some will grow slow and some many not grow at all but in the end he will have a garden to choose from. Be patient give them plenty of sun and water and wait...because it will be worth it.

Reaction Score
Perfect time to ask, just before one of the toughest games of the year. If we win Sunday, the odds go up considerably. Already pretty high, though. I voted yes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like CD's little vignette about being out and about and having a guy offer her a "nice season", and she shot back "Nice season? Nice season is 20-10. You have to come up with something better than that!"

Reaction Score
The only teams that have a credible shot at beating UConn:
Dec 3 UND @ UCONN
To me, UND is one if the most overrated of the elite teams. They'll be playing on the road. Even if KLS is out, it's hard seeing UND putting up a good fight.

Feb 1 UCONN @ SC
This could be more interesting. By February, SC could get their experienced PG back from injury, and Cooper's transfer may go through. Plus UConn is on the road. I'll say this is the closest of the three games but still not a loss.

Feb 12
LOU @ UCONN
Louisville needed all of Asia Durr's 47 points to squeak by Ohio State. She won't score anywhere near that against UConn, Geno will see to that. Louisville is all Durr and not much else. Home game for UConn... and last big threat in the regular of the season.

Of course, you don't want to take USF too lightly, but I don't see them as a tough out. They gave UND a good fight but Laska was unconscious in that game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like CD's little vignette about being out and about and having a guy offer her a "nice season", and she shot back "Nice season? Nice season is 20-10. You have to come up with something better than that!"
I love that please tell me more.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The only teams that have a credible shot at beating UConn:
Dec 3 UND @ UCONN
To me, UND is one if the most overrated of the elite teams. They'll be playing on the road. Even if KLS is out, it's hard seeing UND putting up a good fight.

Feb 1 UCONN @ SC
This could be more interesting. By February, SC could get their experienced PG back from injury, and Cooper's transfer may go through. Plus UConn is on the road. I'll say this is the closest of the three games but still not a loss.

Feb 12
LOU @ UCONN
Louisville needed all of Asia Durr's 47 points to squeak by Ohio State. She won't score anywhere near that against UConn, Geno will see to that. Louisville is all Durr and not much else. Home game for UConn... and last big threat in the regular of the season.

Of course, you don't want to take USF too lightly, but I don't see them as a tough out. They gave UND a good fight but Laska was unconscious in that game.
I would add Texas to list.
Texas has played UCONN in each of the last three seasons. Texas has good guard play. The game is at Texas and Holmes will be back.

Reaction Score
No way, no where, no how. We have some tough teams yet to play but I believe that our girls will rise to every challenge.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As Coco said about a month ago: so long as they win their last 6 games of the season....

Winning the last 6 games of the season is ALWAYS the ultimate goal for Geno and staff. Let's look at how they plan on getting there.
As of today (Thursday Nov 30) UConn is 6-0. They've played 4 top 20 teams. Their smallest margin of victory in these games is 18 (UCLA). They have not played any "cupcakes" as yet. Nevada is the lowest ranked team they've played to date (and could be classified as such), but the Wolfpack played them tough, and competed hard for 40 minutes and gave them a much better game than they expected, which caused Geno to leave his starters in the game much longer then planned.

This was the last game preceding their match up with Notre Dame. The Wolf pack played well enough to get them ready for the Irish. Iron sharpens iron. UConn is getting ready NOW for those last 6 games. Playing soft or mid-major teams will not get you ready to play against the top 15 ranked teams you'e going to have to play and get by to win the tournament. As always, Geno will use the their 16 games against conference opponents to give the bench players extended game minutes, especially against the weaker teams.

#3 Notre Dame comes to town Sunday. They beat # 22 Michigan on the road yesterday by 20, 83-63. The Irish have played 3 other ranked teams to this point. #18 Oregon St, #17 USF and exposed #3 South Carolina 93-85. ND is the last ranked opponent UConn will play before they begin conference play against Memphis (1-7) at home on December 31. The Huskies will complete their 13 game non-conference schedule with 3 games against ranked opponents: @ #2 Texas on Jan 15, @ #5 South Carolina on Feb 1, and #4 Louisville on Feb 12 in Gampel Pavilion.

Throw in 2 conference games with # 17 USF, that's 10 games against top 25 programs. UConn will have played the #2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 ranked teams this year. Hopefully they'll see #6 Mississippi State down the road in the NCAA tournament, and put some closure on last year's meeting. One game at a time, one practice at a time. Don't look past the most important game on the schedule, the next one. Get everybody get healed, and stay healthy. Get ready for the next game. That's got to be their mindset. Good for us fans, it's going to be a long season. April is a l-o-n-g way off. A lot can happen between now and then. We're all hoping the light will turn on for Megan Walker before the end of February. They could use her down the stretch those last six games. Without the worry or burden of extending a win streak, this team can just concentrate on getting better each day, working on individual deficiencies, and cleaning up things in practice that gave Geno pause for concern during their last game.

None of the returning members (or the staff) were comfortable with the way the season ended last year. Most of them have indicated that they have not watched a replay of that game. Neither have I (too depressing). They have ALL vowed not to end this season that way again. They are focused in with laser like sharpness and clarity with the memory of their ultimate goal, with the Miss St loss still fresh in their mind. This team is built to win, and win consistently.

All of the starters with the exception of Collier look to be in top form and getting better. It was mentioned here in the yard that Collier suffered and injury during their Italy tour, and is playing through some residual effects of that injury. If so, hopefully she can take advantage of the two breaks coming up. The 10 day break for finals (Dec 9-18), and the 8 day (Dec 23-30) Christmas break.

Their five starters can score in double figures on any given night. Their bench includes two transfers one of whom has posted a double-double in her last two games filling in for Katie Lou, who is expected to return tho the line up Sunday versus ND; and the other who may make her debut that afternoon. It's full steam ahead for the Huskies. Their future looks bright based on recent events. The team is right where Geno thought they should be at this point in the season.

Their remaining schedule has plenty of games left that no one should not automatically put in the win column. Can they go the rest of the season without a loss? It appears to be very possible. But for now, let's get ready and prepare for the most important game on their schedule, the next one featuring the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
When healthy this year's team will go down as one of the greatest teams in women's basketball history. There are no weaknesses. It will be as good as the 2002 team, Stewie's sophomore season and the great Stewie, Tuck and Mo senior season. We have a great point guard, terrific three point shooting, all world defenders in Gabby and Kia, great rebounding now that we have Z and super quick, athletic and great fast break athletes. I feel like I'm sounding like Tony C but this team will not lose.

Reaction Score
I would add Texas to list.
Texas has played UCONN in each of the last three seasons. Texas has good guard play. The game is at Texas and Holmes will be back.

You're right. I did miss Texas on the schedule. I think I may have blended it in with Houston right before it. Okay, 4 games then. My money's on 4-0 with those games.

Reaction Score
No team is perfect. The 2002 championship game might have turned out differently if Stacy Dales didn't foul out. A perfect record does not make you a perfect team.

Reaction Score
No team is perfect. The 2002 championship game might have turned out differently if Stacy Dales didn't foul out. A perfect record does not make you a perfect team.
No team is perfect, but the 2002 NC game would have turned out the same - that game was OVER when SD fouled out. Sheri Coale’s post-game comments started with, “We weren’t good enough to beat UConn today.”

I’m going with, “You are what your record says you are.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love that please tell me more.

I believe it was part of the first All Access show in a segment which touched on "the monster" of expectations created by UConn's astonishing success. I do greatly appreciate CD's candor, including the candor about how she feels about the loss, the players' reactions to the loss and how she asks herself how she failed as a coach and the greatest admission of them all: she'll carry the loss with her for quite a while. Geno's reaction to the loss, way too facile and politic for my taste. And Geno's ongoing fib about how he did not watch it! The coaches watched it but had to keep hitting pause because Geno would launch himself out of the room.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom